Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Man Up" campaign by SafeIreland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Sleepy wrote: »
    Doesn't Trinity offer a gender studies course? Isn't that what Senator Bacik teaches when she's not trying to exclude her male colleagues from talks in the Oireachtas?

they exist but I'd wager there are less places relative to the US and at the end of the day Irish people don't jump on every band wagon full speed. For full scale feminism and the related quango industry you needs lots of free money from the state and I reckon the next 5 or 10 years are going to be the opposite.
    Plus I'd say feminism has peaked in the US and 8 :D years of Trump should change the narrative some if he does a good job. By all accounts Gen "Zee" which came after the millennials might be more conservative than their elders.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erin_Pizzey

I have read about this remarkable woman in the meantime. I also read the methodology of her study mentioned below, and it was flawless - if anything it was so careful it understates the amount of violent women as opposed to violence prone women.
    Pizzey set up a women's refuge in Belmont Terrace, Chiswick, London in 1971 where abused women "were offered tea, sympathy and a safe place to stay"[15] for them and their children. She later opened a number of additional shelters, despite hostility from the authorities. She gained notoriety and publicity for setting up refuges by squatting, most notably in 1975 at the Palm Court Hotel in Richmond.[16][17][18] The original refuge in Chiswick has since been rebranded as the charity "Refuge".

Pizzey said that militant feminists – with the collusion of Labour's leading women – hijacked her cause and used it to try to demonise all men, not only in Britain, but internationally.[22] Pizzey said of the newly emerging establishment "I never saw Women's Aid as a movement that was hostile to men, but The National Federation, which quickly formed, made it quite clear that men were the enemy." After the alleged hijacking, the demand for a service for women survivors of domestic violence grew and soon public funding became available. Pizzey has lamented that the movement she started had moved from the "personal to the political".

Soon after establishing her first refuge, Pizzey asserted that much domestic violence was reciprocal, with both partners abusing each other in roughly equal measure. She reached this conclusion when she asked the women in her refuge about their violence, only to discover most of the women were equally as violent or more violent than their husbands. In her study "Comparative Study of Battered Women And Violence-Prone Women,"[28] (co-researched with Dr. John Gayford of Warlingham Hospital), Pizzey distinguishes between "genuine battered women"[28] and "violence-prone women";[28] the former defined as "the unwilling and innocent victim of his or her partner's violence"[28] and the latter defined as "the unwilling victim of his or her own violence."[28] This study reports that 62% of the sample population were more accurately described as "violence prone." Similar findings regarding the mutuality of domestic violence have been confirmed in subsequent studies.

In her book Prone to Violence, Pizzey expressed concern that so little attention was paid to the causes of interpersonal and family violence, stating, "to my amazement, nobody seemed to genuinely want to find out why violent people treat each other the way they do".

In 1981, Pizzey moved to Santa Fe, New Mexico, while targeted by harassment, death threats, bomb threats[33] and defamation campaigns,[6] and dealing with overwork, near collapse, cardiac disease and mental strain.[34] In particular, according to Pizzey, the charity Scottish Women's Aid "made it their business to hand out leaflets claiming that [she] believed that women 'invited violence' and 'provoked male violence'".[6] She states that the turning point was the intervention of the bomb squad, who required all of her mail to be processed by them before she could receive it, as a "controversial public figure".[35]

Having moved to Santa Fe to write, Pizzey promptly became involved in running a refuge in New Mexico, as well as dealing with sexual abusers and paedophiles.[6] Pizzey said of this work, "I discovered that there were just as many women paedophiles as there were men. Women go undetected, as usual. Working against paedophiles is a very dangerous business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭iptba

silverharp wrote: »
    they exist but I'd wager there are less places relative to the US and at the end of the day Irish people don't jump on every band wagon full speed. For full scale feminism and the related quango industry you needs lots of free money from the state and I reckon the next 5 or 10 years are going to be the opposite.
    Plus I'd say feminism has peaked in the US and 8 :D years of Trump should change the narrative some if he does a good job. By all accounts Gen "Zee" which came after the millennials might be more conservative than their elders.
    They are working on it:
    Join the National Women’s Council of Ireland for #FemFest, a major conference for young women aged 16-24 discussing the importance of the women of 1916, the barriers young women face today and planning for that feminist future.
    http://spunout.ie/news/article/are-you-a-young-feminist-then-femfest-could-be-for-you
    Save

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

iptba wrote: »
    My sister did a women's studies course during her transition year in an all girls school in the 1990s. I have no idea how common these are.

Also there was the Masculinities course in schools which some people were concerned about. Is it still going?

There is quite a bit of feminism/gender studies/women's studies-type material in humanities and social science courses in universities, especially in sociology.
    yeah sociology is a nightmare at times, i studied it in college and while some of it was interesting a lot was awful rubbish in particular anything to do with gender or racism, sexism ect Very little balanced discussion basically all the lecturers think gender quotas are amazing, patriarchal society ect one in particular was a straight up man hater, in fact we noticed how the girls in the class appeared to be marked much easier then the lads, in the end i stopped going to her lectures because of the absolute bile she talked.

They are working on it:
    Join the National Women’s Council of Ireland for #FemFest, a major conference for young women aged 16-24 discussing the importance of the women of 1916, the barriers young women face today and planning for that feminist future.
    http://spunout.ie/news/article/are-you-a-young-feminist-then-femfest-could-be-for-you
    Save
    Feminism is claiming to fight all sorts of problems in society now, not just sexism. From today's conference in Dublin:

https://twitter.com/JuliaGoolia415/status/804732874159165441

Personally I'd be happier if they did a better job of fighting sexism e.g. not giving the impression that the only victims of domestic violence are female and the only perpetrators are male.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

'Create women only spaces'

It was nigh 20 years ago they were fighting men only spaces through the laws of the land.

Gloves are off lads. They appear to want a fight. There will be no female only spaces on my watch.

They fought for equality, let them enjoy their spoils of war.

Feminism is claiming to fight all sorts of problems in society now, not just sexism. From today's conference in Dublin:

https://twitter.com/JuliaGoolia415/status/804732874159165441

Personally I'd be happier if they did a better job of fighting sexism e.g. not giving the impression that the only victims of domestic violence are female and the only perpetrators are male.
    Here is the full list:
    https://twitter.com/smaishling/status/804623871416614912

Bollocks to them. My blood is curdling in my veins reading that.

It really is about time a broad fronted campaign for men started actively fighting this bull****.

Feminist schools. Get your ****ing hands off y child you dangerously retarded bitches!

I want to vomit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

You may want to grab a drink of water there FortySeven, you're kinda losing it there.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    You may want to grab a drink of water there FortySeven, you're kinda losing it there.

Nope. They are going way too far with this now. That is a manifesto that pushes nearly every button I have. Attempting to force their way into children's minds, campaigning for feminist politicians to be elected, never mind the policies, They make me sick. This is NOT a woman's world, we need to share it and the idea of indoctrination for children is insidious and underhand. Quotas in stem, quotas in politics, quotas in boardrooms.

What about quotas in waste recycling? Quotas in infantry, quotas in mining or any other ****ty job.

If this is allowed to continue we will rue the day femfest was allowed to gossip it's way to the domination of man.

This is not funny anymore. It's about time it was nipped in the bud.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

What was this nonsense doing in the Science Gallery?

Slightly ominous I think that no place for (CIS heterosexual) males in this list
    https://twitter.com/ReidingWomen/status/804818200571559936

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

FortySeven wrote: »

It was nigh 20 years ago they were fighting men only spaces through the laws of the land.

Gloves are off lads. They appear to want a fight. There will be no female only spaces on my watch.

Men won't protest about that, in general we don't give a sh1te. We may highlight the double standard but we are not gonna go out protesting against it.

py2006 wrote: »
    Men won't protest about that, in general we don't give a sh1te. We may highlight the double standard but we are not gonna go out protesting against it.

I know, but we are getting close to the time that we will have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Feminist schools. Get your ****ing hands off y child you dangerously retarded bitches!

Note:

You might tone it down please.

This type of posting is not acceptable in this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

There are already women only gyms, women only book clubs, feminist societies do not allow straight men to join, the list goes on. Men have men's sheds - and that's sure to be attacked soon too as misogynist.

silverharp wrote: »
    its kind of middly I'd guess, Ive yet to hear an Irish News person talk about "the Patriarchy" where you might actually hear that term used on a US network , but they will nod at the "wage gap" or women in theatre being underrepresented so there is an unquestioning open door, there just hasn't been enough feminists to push through in great numbers. Also feminism doesn't have an "in" yet into Irish schools and there aren't loads of private universities flogging gender studies courses like the US
    You could describe Ireland as extremely gynocentric and with a public narrative that girls doing well is more important than boys or that boys falling behind is less important than any perceived gap with girls.
    'Schools need domestic violence courses' - Women's council

€4m EU funding available for programme

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/schools-need-domestic-violence-courses-womens-council-35281799.html

She made the comments following a half-day forum in Dublin this morning on Combating Violence Against Women.

“I would love to see the Irish government embark on an education programme for our school children which particularly focused on our boys,” she told the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

not feeling very tolerant this evening but life long quango chick Lynn Boylan who doesnt have children doesnt get to say "our boys" :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

220,000 views of this since it was posted by TV3 on Facebook on December 7:
    https://www.facebook.com/TVThreeIreland/videos/10154270556814538/

• Advertisement

Another one of these government-sponsored ads:
    44% of people in Ireland know somebody who personally had been a victim of domestic abuse.
    For more please visit: http://whatwouldyoudo.ie/

www.facebook.com/tvthreeireland/videos/10154326175254538

It's a hidden camera one based on actors. I was hoping they would do one each with a male and female victim so people might see the contrast but that was wishful thinking.

1 March 2017: Male Domestic Abuse Special (BBC Radio 5 LIve)

If everyone who watched this video gave us just £1 – or even better, £1 monthly – we could change the world. Click here to make a difference. Thanks.

https://j4mb.org.uk/donate/

Our thanks to E for capturing this excellent piece, first broadcast 11 days ago. Over 15:06 - 26:32 there's a studio discussion with Ian McNicholl, a former victim of extreme domestic violence, and an Honorary Patron and Ambassador of Mankind Initiative http://new.mankind.org.uk. At the 2013 National Conference for Male Victims of Domestic Violence, Ian gave a talk which reduced many in the audience to tears. Our blog piece on the matter is here https://j4mb.org.uk/2013/10/22/ian-mc.... I hope to attend next year's conference.

Mark Brooks is the Chairman of Mankind Initiative, and his interview on the programme is over 26:33 - 29:18. You can make a donation to his charity here http://new.mankind.org.uk/donations/.

It would be something if the BBC had programmes like this on its higher-audience channels, such as Radio 4. We are of the view that the BBC broadcasts pieces like this so that, when challenged about its lack of coverage of female perpetrators and male victims of domestic violence, it can point to such pieces, however vanishingly rare they are compared with pieces on male perpetrators and female victims.

In January 2014 we made our first official complaint to the BBC, in relation to their breach of 50+ editorial guidelines during a lengthy Newsnight piece about domestic violence. Our complaint was contemptuously rejected - in part because the BBC could point to some pieces on male victims - as was our subsequent appeal. Details here https://j4mb.org.uk/2015/04/30/bbc-an....

We have many more pieces on BBC anti-male bias on our Key posts page https://j4mb.org.uk/key-posts/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Again, the first issue is with mentality and people's perception of the issue; The media doesn't help at all by painting domestic abuse as something that is almost exclusively "male to female".

Sometimes you find that bias in the most unlikely and unsuspecting individuals: just recently, a friend of mine reposted one of these anti-abuse campaign posters on Facebook; Nothing strange so far, but when myself and a couple more friends (including another lady) replied simply pointing out that "it can happen both ways to anyone", she promptly posted a snide remark that "men who suffer abuse from women have no balls and deserve it".

This from a woman I went to school with, have been knowing for 20+ years, holds two degrees and is a highly regarded professional in her line of work. It beggars belief, really.

I happened to come across this:
    Sweden Makes ‘Men’s Violence Against Women’ Compulsory Subject at University
    http://www.breitbart.com/london/2017/03/28/sweden-male-violence-women-university/

As that website is unpopular with many, I looked for the source. Here's a translation of what I understand is the Swedish government's website:

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?from=&to=en&a=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.regeringen.se%2Fpressmeddelanden%2F2017%2F03%2Fkunskap-om-mans-vald-mot-kvinnor-obligatoriskt-i-jurist--och-lakarutbildningarna%2F
    Knowledge on men's violence against women required in the legal and medical education programs

The Government intends to introduce compulsory elements of men's violence against women and domestic violence in training for professions that involve meetings with battered women and children. The training courses covered are fysioterapeutexamen, law degree, medical degree, in psychology, Bachelor of science in nursing, Bachelor of Arts and dental exam.

− Awareness of violence in certain occupational groups can be critical to saving lives. Compulsory teaching of men's violence in close relationships on courses where students will confront the perpetrators of violence and battered in their future professions is a fundamental action that is called for in decades. Anyone who has worked a long time with these issues understand that the Government here is writing history, "said equality minister Åsa Régner.

The goal is that students will gain knowledge of how to prevent and detect violence as well as what actions are effective.

National strategy to combat men's violence against women

In november last year, the Government introduced the gender equality policy letter power, goals and authority — a feminist politics for a future of equality, as well as a 10-year national strategy for preventing and combating violence against women. One of the measures in the strategy is to change in exam descriptions in the higher education Ordinance (1993:100) for the courses where it is considered most important for students to be able to assimilate knowledge on men's violence against women and domestic violence.

Letter in the Irish Times:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/men-women-and-domestic-violence-1.3061104
    Men, women and domestic violence

Sir, – We must all agree with Orla O’Connor that domestic violence against women is appalling (“Data holds key to tackling violence against women”, Opinion & Analysis, April 24th). Her call for more data on this problem is appropriate. But nowhere in her article did I see any mention of domestic violence that is directed at male partners by women. There is research and data on this as the following example will demonstrate. Dr Elizabeth Bates, who led the study at the University of Cumbria, said: “Previous studies have sought to explain male violence towards women as arising from patriarchal values, which motivate men to seek to control women’s behaviour, using violence if necessary.”

This study found that women demonstrated a desire to control their partners and were more likely to use physical aggression than men.

“It wasn’t just pushing and shoving,” said Dr Bates, who presented the results at a meeting of the British Psychological Society in Glasgow. “Some people were circling the boxes for things like beating up, kicking, and threatening to use a weapon. In terms of high levels of control and aggression, there was no difference between men and women.”

Gender violence is a double-edged tragedy.

I can understand that the National Women’s Council would concentrate on female victims, but a great injustice will be done if the totality of the problem is not addressed. – Yours, etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Great letter, nice to see them printing it.

It's amazing how socially acceptable a woman giving a man a slap is.

For example here's a recent EE scene which shows a female character giving a male character a slap for a seemingly trivial reason.

Letter in the Irish Times:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/men-women-and-domestic-violence-1.3061104
    Men, women and domestic violence

Sir, – We must all agree with Orla O’Connor that domestic violence against women is appalling (“Data holds key to tackling violence against women”, Opinion & Analysis, April 24th). Her call for more data on this problem is appropriate. But nowhere in her article did I see any mention of domestic violence that is directed at male partners by women. There is research and data on this as the following example will demonstrate. Dr Elizabeth Bates, who led the study at the University of Cumbria, said: “Previous studies have sought to explain male violence towards women as arising from patriarchal values, which motivate men to seek to control women’s behaviour, using violence if necessary.”

This study found that women demonstrated a desire to control their partners and were more likely to use physical aggression than men.

“It wasn’t just pushing and shoving,” said Dr Bates, who presented the results at a meeting of the British Psychological Society in Glasgow. “Some people were circling the boxes for things like beating up, kicking, and threatening to use a weapon. In terms of high levels of control and aggression, there was no difference between men and women.”

Gender violence is a double-edged tragedy.

I can understand that the National Women’s Council would concentrate on female victims, but a great injustice will be done if the totality of the problem is not addressed. – Yours, etc,
    I presume that is this researcher who is now recruiting for a study. Perhaps people in Ireland may be able to take part.
    https://twitter.com/DrLizBates/status/840932391657037824

BBC comedy chat show mocks male victim of domestic violence and gives ‘Mammy of the Week’ award to his abuser

May 6, 2017 by Inside MAN

BBC comedy chat show All Round to Mrs Brown’s has triggered outrage among domestic violence survivors and campaigners after it depicted real-life domestic abuse by a wife against her husband as comedy and then gave her the show’s ‘Mammy of the Week’ award.

The segment of the popular Saturday night light entertainment programme, in which each week a mother is nominated for the award, shows a daughter describe to a laughing studio audience how her mother has repeatedly attacked her father with household objects and on at least one occasion with a knife.

continues at:

http://www.inside-man.co.uk/2017/05/06/bbc-comedy-chat-show-mocks-male-victim-domestic-violence-gives-mammy-week-award-abuser/

Sunday Times: Men’s Voices Ireland exposes ‘eviction bill’

In an interview with Justine McCarthy in the Irish edition of The Sunday Times on 18 June 2017, David Walsh of Men’s Voices Ireland issued a call for lawyers to act pro bono in a legal challenge against new legislation that threatens men with eviction from their homes – without them being convicted or even being charged with any wrongdoing.

Men’s Voices Ireland says that the proposed Domestic Violence Bill 2017 undermines property rights guaranteed under the Irish Constitution and that men could be ejected from their homes by new girlfriends with no ownership stake.

Continues at:
    https://www.mensvoicesireland.com/news/sunday-times-mens-voices-ireland-seek-expose-eviction-bill/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

First of all, can't stand Jeremy McConnell, total clown of a man, grade A plonker if ever there was one (as is Stephanie Davis.... wish I never heard of either of them) but still and all, I'm very surprised at how little condemnation there is in general to her apparently beating him about the head and face with a bed post in a hotel over the past few days..... and which she as later arrested for and released the next day.... while pregnant too.

(DM link).

Majority of comments online I've seen were pretty much just saying he must have deserved and sure what does he expect hanging around with someone like her........ which I simply can't imagine being said were the injuries the other way around. I know we had Kelly Brook laughing on This Morning about punching boyfriends (including Jason Statham) and Beyonce's sister kicking Jay-Z in the lift etc........... but there were no injuries to see those cases, so you could almost understand the head in the sand reactions.

Here though there can be no doubt about the level of assault but the reaction just all seems a bit.... meh... to the whole thing. It's been reported by the red tops alright but anyone I have spoken to laughed tbh while they discussed. Certainly a much different reaction than when the photos of Rhinana were splashed across the pages.... not that I'm saying they are the same, I appreciate her injuries did seem worse.... but considering she apparently hit him a bed post, she damn lucky she didn't kill him.

imgonline-com-ua-twotoone-_M16v_Dvq2_Its79.jpg

Feel sorry for the kid in all this also...... both of them........ as one day they'll be old enough to Google this crap and be able to see what mammy and daddy got up to when they were young (/on the way).

Advertisement