Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Man Up" campaign by SafeIreland

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

iptba wrote: »
    (4 minutes 27 seconds)
    Men's Rights versus Feminism explained using magnets
    This is a post from 2014, but the linked video hits the nail on the head!

Current Mainstream Feminism is of course misandristic IMO, but just as importantly, it is so belittling and insulting to women. If I was a woman, I'd simply tell those said feminists (both male and female within): 'Not in my name - I'm a woman and I'm a perfectly capable adult - I don't need your hypocrisy thank you very much!'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

One of our staff members with a remit for Welfare recently declared that violence from women towards men was "nowhere near as serious" as the other way round.

God help the male student who finally breaches cultural barriers to admit he is being abused - and is told it isn't that serious.

Shocking misandry there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,876 ✭✭✭iptba

(UK)
    Controlling girlfriend 'first woman convicted' of new domestic abuse offence

A university graduate is believed to be the first woman convicted under new domestic abuse laws after scalding her boyfriend with boiling water, stabbing him and keeping food from him.

Jordan Worth, 22, banned her partner from their bed, decided what clothes he could wear, isolated him from friends and family and even took over his Facebook account.

She was jailed for seven-and-a-half years after pleading guilty to the offence of controlling or coercive behaviour in an intimate relationship, introduced in 2015, as well as wounding with intent and causing grievous bodily harm with intent.
    continues at:
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/04/16/controlling-girlfriend-first-woman-convicted-new-domestic-abuse/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

wtf
    Worth, who is now in a new relationship, was made the subject of a restraining order which prevents her from contacting her ex for an indefinite period.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Abuse of a human being is abuse of a human being - whether it's perpetrated against a man or a woman. The behaviour as described in the article is plain disgusting and the culprit deserves everything that comes!

TBH, I'd just throw the keys away.

• Advertisement

Domestic violence advert campaign faces axe

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

By Caroline O'Doherty

Senior Reporter

The Government may have to pull its multimillion-euro publicity campaign on domestic violence after victims said it insults them.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/domestic-violence-advert-campaign-faces-axe-469590.html

I hope if it is cancelled any future campaign still highlights male victims.

Domestic violence advert campaign faces axe

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

By Caroline O'Doherty

Senior Reporter

The Government may have to pull its multimillion-euro publicity campaign on domestic violence after victims said it insults

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/domestic-violence-advert-campaign-faces-axe-469590.html

I hope if it is cancelled any future campaign still highlights male victims.
    I just heard the first of these today. Nice to hear domestic abuse against men being highlighted. They were only uploaded to the website around 10 days ago so are presumably fairly new:
    https://soundcloud.com/user-529324454/doj-r30-the-other-half-0
    https://soundcloud.com/user-529324454/doj-r30-home-game-080318

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/cruel-violent-mother-pleads-guilty-to-horrific-catalogue-of-abuse-against-children-1.3473971
    ‘Cruel, violent’ mother pleads guilty to ‘horrific catalogue’ of abuse against children
    Son was made to do a handstand when his arm was in a cast and then assaulted with a cable
    Wed, Apr 25, 2018, 15:49

A harrowing read
    The mother separated from the father of the three youngest children in 2009 and Garda Duffy described the father as “an honest, hard working man who found himself out of his depth and manipulated, bullied and downtrodden by his wife”.

He said: “She was far too domineering for him a a simple man who would try to do all he could for his family but wasn’t allowed and pushed out of the house. Having suffered at the hands of the accused and her aggression, he found it impossible to live with her”.
    If there were better supports available for men who were suffering from domestic abuse such as a refuge perhaps he could have left with the children and it would have worked out better for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

M85 wrote: »
    *Nope* Productions are making a programme about Domestic Abuse.
    We would like to Irish speaking survivors of Domestic Abuse who witnessed Domestic Abuse as a child growing up, or who experienced it in a relationship. We want to share your stories and shine a light on the subject and it is important for us to focus on how people break the cycle and become survivors. Please contact NOPE

Mo mhíle buíochas,
    Medb

How is the language they speak relevant in a domestic abuse situation FFS

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

M85 permanently banned for signing up to shill their company across Boards.ie and attempting to mine Boards.ie members for their production.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Helping men overcome violence

April 21 2018 12:00 AM

A new programme to help men overcome domestic violence is starting in Sligo next month.

Move Ireland (Men Overcoming Violent Emotion), is now offering their Choices programme in Sligo with a new group starting on May 14th.

It will continue to run on Monday evenings after that.

Men are challenged to take responsibility for their attitudes and behaviour, to develop new ways of thinking and acting.

The Move programme offers ongoing partner contact support for the partners of men who are accepted onto the programme.

Women are offered one to one support for a 12 month period, regardless of whether their partner or former partner stays involved with the programme, and regardless of whether or not they decide to remain with their partner.

Referrals to the programme can come directly from the men themselves, or through any professional who come across domestic abuse in their work.

For more information please contact Fionnuala Collins, 085 874 8108 or at Fionnuala@moveireland.ie
    https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/localnotes/helping-men-overcome-violence-36812886.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,053 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That seems sensible to offer support to both parties in a domestic violence situation.

A similar setup for female abusers and Male victims would be great too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

This seems to be for male perpetrators of domestic violence. Are there any similar schemes for female perpetrators of domestic violence and corresponding support structures for men on the receiving end of domestic violence? Or am I naieve to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

This seems to be for male perpetrators of domestic violence. Are there any similar schemes for female perpetrators of domestic violence and corresponding support structures for men on the receiving end of domestic violence? Or am I naieve to ask?

What do you think? If it's anything like the states any male victims of DV in the Sligo area will probably be referred there, because it fits into the current toxic feminist ideology that all men are to blame.

Victim shaming anyone? :rolleyes:

And how much taxpayers money is this hoovering up? I'd support the idea if it matched the aims of ones like the respect phoneline in the UK which deals with all perpetrators of DV whatever their gender or sexuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I don't know. It would probably take years of lobbying and campaigning to get something like that setup. You don't tend to see much activism for men's issues. The feminists are on the ball with lobbying and campaigning. It would be great to see more men's rights lobbying and in time, there would be results like the a men's DV shelter.

These things don't just come about out of nothing. The government doesn't just phone up and ask if you want money for a DV shelter. Further to that if you lobby for funds for a women's DV shelter and are successful, the government won't just give you the money for an equivalent men's shelter.

And we wonder why male suicide rates are four times that of females?

Golf star Lucas Glover’s wife arrested on domestic violence charges

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 - 08:23 AM
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/golf-star-lucas-glovers-wife-arrested-on-domestic-violence-charges-843175.html

Not the worst incident but I thought this was interesting:
    The wife of former US Open golf champion Lucas Glover is facing a domestic violence charge stemming from an altercation with Glover and his mother after he missed the cut at the Players Championship.

[..]

The report said Glover told the officer his wife often starts arguments with him after he plays poorly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Lol classic.

Glover is her meal ticket. The TPC at Sawgrass has one of the richest purses in the game. Massive prize money on offer for everyone who makes the cut.

She got used to a certain standard of living after the 2009 US Open win and now that his form has fallen away he's not earning to the same level.

She'll probably cut her losses at this stage, divorce him and take half of what's left. Even though she never earned a red cent of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

And we wonder why male suicide rates are four times that of females?
    Male suicide rates are where they are because of the macho bullsh|t whereby "real" men don't talk about their feelings.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

the_syco wrote: »
    Male suicide rates are where they are because of the macho bullsh|t whereby "real" men don't talk about their feelings.
    Which seems a good explanation on the surface of it. The only problem with that is in the "old days" where stiff upper lips were even stiffer, the male suicide rate was lower. And yes that's adjusting for diagnosis. EG even as recent as the 90's one of the least likely demographics to commit suicide were middle aged men, now they're one of the more at risk. Secondly, availability and access to mental health services and therapies has never been higher*, yet the rates continue to climb, or certainly aren't dropping. So while it can certainly be a factor it's by no means the only one.

*Oh I'm fully aware how difficult it can be to access these for many, but the services are there where once they were absent.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Doubt its macho bullsh1t, but rather a lot of men feel lost or unsure in todays society

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Are women generally all that interested in mens problems particularly long term ?

I think that some women at least see men as problem solvers for them and are not all that interested in the Quid Pro Quo .

blinding wrote: »
    Are women generally all that interested in mens problems particularly long term ?

I think that some women at least see men as problem solvers for them and are not all that interested in the Quid Pro Quo .
    There's most certainly an element of that alright and not just women. I would say other men are worse on that score. I've known a fair few women care for men with mental problems, but other men tend to be much more avoidant about such things with their friends, never mind acquaintances.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Wibbs wrote: »
    Which seems a good explanation on the surface of it. The only problem with that is in the "old days" where stiff upper lips were even stiffer, the male suicide rate was lower.
    I'll have to disagree. Someone who committed suicide would often be denied funeral rites and/or burial in a Church cemetery. Their family may be shunned by the community, in the same way entire families were shunned if they went against the word of the local priest (didn't send a raped family member to the laundry).

Because of this, it was marked as anything but suicide. Accidental death, etc. This didn't change overnight, and I doubt many Gardai will mark it as suicide if they can avoid it.

I'll have to disagree. Someone who committed suicide would often be denied funeral rites and/or burial in a Church cemetery. Their family may be shunned by the community, in the same way entire families were shunned if they went against the word of the local priest (didn't send a raped family member to the laundry).

Because of this, it was marked as anything but suicide. Accidental death, etc. This didn't change overnight, and I doubt many Gardai will mark it as suicide if they can avoid it.
    Which is all very good in good oul catholic Ireland of the past, but this upward trend is evident from the 1990's onwards and not just in Ireland, but through many western societies, most of which wouldn't have the stigma of 1950s catholic Ireland on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The rising suicide rate among men in the 35-55 age group has nothing to do with any ideas about being macho or "real men" or "not talking about their feelings", it's correlated with rising unemployment among that age group and their loss of opportunities to be able to provide for their families, their loss of a sense of purpose. Ironically it's attempts to castigate men for "not talking about their feelings", that don't help the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭DeadHand

This is the prevailing narrative, yes, as also propagated by the mainstream misandrist, Louise O’Neil.

Others have already pointed out the flaws with this simplistic argument.

I’ll only add that it’s indicative of how skewed discourse has become now that when women are afflicted by a problem it’s society’s (and usually men’s) fault while when men are afflicted, it’s their own fault.

Victim blaming, anyone?

... Ironically it's attempts to castigate men for "not talking about their feelings", that don't help the situation.

I’ve never understood this kind of thinking. Do you think women are castigated re breast checks?

Encouraging something which promotes health isn’t having a pop at them. That’s just your interpretation as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Sponge25

Any man that doesn't help a girl in need is a coward. Same applies if anyone needs help but generally kids, woman and the elderly under some kinda attack, i'd be straight in with the right hook. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’ve never understood this kind of thinking. Do you think women are castigated re breast checks?

Encouraging something which promotes health isn’t having a pop at them. That’s just your interpretation as far as I can see.

I'm sorry El_D but I'm failing to see the connection between being sick and tired of being told I don't talk my feelings, and women's health? I was talking about men, women have nothing to do with what we're discussing here.

Your interpretation of this -

Is encouraging something which promotes health rather than having a pop at them? I'd say it's precisely the definition of taking a pop at men who don't want to talk about their feelings, and needling and prodding at them to "talk about their feelings" pisses me off, and if I politely suggest that they fcuk off, I'm considered an example of "toxic masculinity".

I'm not talking about the feelings that those people who want me to talk about my feelings, want me to talk about, and it's not healthy for anyone to keep needling at them to talk about their feelings when they actually don't want to.

It's not unhealthy not to talk about your feelings if you don't want to. It is unhealthy to criticise men for not wanting to talk about their feelings, and to use the rising male suicide rate to further your own (not yours personally) political and social ideology.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry El_D but I'm failing to see the connection between being sick and tired of being told I don't talk my feelings, and women's health? I was talking about men, women have nothing to do with what we're discussing here.

Your interpretation of this -

Is encouraging something which promotes health rather than having a pop at them? I'd say it's precisely the definition of taking a pop at men who don't want to talk about their feelings, and needling and prodding at them to "talk about their feelings" pisses me off, and if I politely suggest that they fcuk off, I'm considered an example of "toxic masculinity".

I'm not talking about the feelings that those people who want me to talk about my feelings, want me to talk about, and it's not healthy for anyone to keep needling at them to talk about their feelings when they actually don't want to.

It's not unhealthy not to talk about your feelings if you don't want to. It is unhealthy to criticise men for not wanting to talk about their feelings, and to use the rising male suicide rate to further your own (not yours personally) political and social ideology.

Ah that’s silly. I don’t want a prostate exam but having prostate exams promotes good health. Likewise seeking help for mental health problems promotes good health. That stands whether you like hearing it or not and whether you personally like talking about feelings it not.

Saying that men should have prostate exams and everyone should do breast checks, isn’t having a pop at them. That really is just your interpretation.

Advertisement