Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moto G - [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

i've never had google restore any of my apps. Didnt even know it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

Any idea how to turn off the lollipop upgrade notification? I don't want to upgrade just yet but keeps coming up about 100 times an hour...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

G (2) Lollipop upgrade. Phone was stuck on Moto logo for an hour then powered off. Got it back on took about 15 minutes before it said Upgrading Android. Keeping an eye on it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

inigo wrote: »
    Any idea how to turn off the lollipop upgrade notification? I don't want to upgrade just yet but keeps coming up about 100 times an hour...
    After some more research it looks I figured it out myself. I just disabled the MotorolaOTA app in Settings>Apps. It's been a few hours without the full-screen notification coming up, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

You can't turn off vibration on lollipop as casually as you could before with previous iterations by using volume down. Its very very annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

+1000000. It's doing my head in. Even when I get an important call the bloody thing pops up as soon as I open the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

After some more research it looks I figured it out myself. I just disabled the MotorolaOTA app in Settings>Apps. It's been a few hours without the full-screen notification coming up, thankfully.

Can it be re enabled if I decide I want to give the update a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭deisediva

Just opened my new Moto G picked a 2nd gen 5 inch up from Argos to replace the 1st one I had. It's asking me to upgrade to Lollipop so do I update or is there problems with it ?

Also saw in Argos that they had a new one on system but not available yet so must be the new one coming price was €225 approx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭touts

deisediva wrote: »
    Just opened my new Moto G picked a 2nd gen 5 inch up from Argos to replace the 1st one I had. It's asking me to upgrade to Lollipop so do I update or is there problems with it ?

Also saw in Argos that they had a new one on system but not available yet so must be the new one coming price was €225 approx

Upgraded on Friday. It is good. Do it now before you set up any apps. Then do a factory reset to make sure it is working to its optimum. Then install your apps again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Anyone have issues with music being distorted when resuming from a call? Using the play music app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭touts

calex71 wrote: »
    Anyone have issues with music being distorted when resuming from a call? Using the play music app.

I had issues with one song on my playlist after doing the factory reset. Turned out I didn't have it downloaded and it was streaming it. I must have had some songs on my phone and some on the SD card. Any on the phone were wiped when I did the factory reset. I just downloaded the playlist and the missing songs came down.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Nono Toure

I had a 3G toggle app, but since I upgraded to Lollipop it no longer works. I tried 4 others from Play Store, none work!

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Nono Toure wrote: »
    I had a 3G toggle app, but since I upgraded to Lollipop it no longer works. I tried 4 others from Play Store, none work!

Any ideas?

*#*#4636#*#*

Click Phone Information then scroll down. Lets you choose 3G/2G only or 3G/2G preferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Memory bug for me is still present unfortunately. Time to move on to bigger better things :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Wished I'd done this. Update adds nothing and has ruined two things.

1)I have no idea how to quickly put the phone on silent now. Before, I just held down the power button and it had an option for sound, vibrate only, or no sound. Now, all pressing the power button does is give an option to turn the phone off. Really annoying.

2) I unlock my phone with a pattern. Before the update, I would press the power button to bring the phone alive and the pattern unlock would appear automatically. I would do the pattern and the phone unlocked. (2 moves - power button and pattern). Now when I press the power button from locked, the phone comes alive but the pattern unlock isn't there. You have to swipe to make it appear and then do it (3 moves - Power button, Swipe, Pattern).

Any way to undo the update?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I "upgraded" my 5" to Lollipop on the weekend and found usability has dropped. Lots of little things now require multiple swipes where previous just one did the job. Why do they damage usability like this I wonder?

I understand downgrading isn't easy; seems to require rooting.

I would not recommend adopting Lollipop over Kitkat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Lollipop is like the Windows Vista of Android :D

I have found it to be annoying and it adds additional steps to actions that were not there before. Its also not that pretty and the new 'whiteness' of it hurts my eyes!

Things may be running better in the background but the UI and general usability and ergonomics of it is really not great

Things I dislike are

Too much white
    additional swipe to unlock
    silent mode (or lack of)
    notifications on lock screen and notifications in general take a bit of setting up to get them to work how you like.
    accessing menus is convoluted
    The dialer is now horrible and hard to use
    things moved for the sake of moving them

I am sure there are more but I wont bore you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Why were so many of ye all excited for a pretty lame update?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I like it. No issues so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Nim wrote: »
    I like it. No issues so far.

Me too.

People moan as it took too long, now they moan because it is different and has a few glitches. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Never bothered to update the new phone yet. I am finding battery life is not great and the only apps I have so far are Viber/Whats ap and Twitter. Maybe it's the bigger screen using the battery more I don't know was so looking forward to maybe a full day without charging the phone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Updated a Moto G 4g to Cyanogen there a few minutes ago. jesus, its class looking.
    no complaints here. Makes this Chinese phone owner very jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I purchased a 2nd gen Moto G on Sunday, upgraded to Lollipop straight away.

I am really enjoying this phone, no complaints so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭alanc2003

McGrath5 wrote: »
    I purchased a 2nd gen Moto G on Sunday, upgraded to Lollipop straight away.

I am really enjoying this phone, no complaints so far.

Only got one myself. How are u finding the battery life? Really struggling to get through the day with only 2hrs screen on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭McGrath5

alanc2003 wrote: »
    Only got one myself. How are u finding the battery life? Really struggling to get through the day with only 2hrs screen on

I am getting from 8am until 10pm that night.

I would class myself as a heavy user i.e. using it for a lot calls, texts, Facebook, email etc.

Did you upgrade to Lollipop?

I'm finding mine is at 45% come lunch time even when its only in my pocket in work. Didn't upgrade it yet as have read the sound can't be turned off and need it on silent in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

deisediva wrote:
    I'm finding mine is at 45% come lunch time even when its only in my pocket in work. Didn't upgrade it yet as have read the sound can't be turned off and need it on silent in work.

Someone has answered your wishes...
    [url] http://www.androidauthority.com/soundhud-lollipop-silent-mode-589336/[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Word of warning to anyone who updates to lollipop and then downgrades back to KitKat stock (via unlocking process etc).

Basically the bootloader is now a different version, apparently your phone will brick if it downloads and installs lollipop ota again.

I don't think this is repairable.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭alanc2003

McGrath5 wrote: »
    I am getting from 8am until 10pm that night.

I would class myself as a heavy user i.e. using it for a lot calls, texts, Facebook, email etc.

Did you upgrade to Lollipop?

Yep, upgraded straight away. Never used it with kk so don't know if the battery was as bad. Maybe it needs a few charges to calibrate. Had a Sony m2 and that was brilliant with battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

People moan as it took too long, now they moan because it is different and has a few glitches. :rolleyes:

It's true that although difference can be annoying initially you quickly adapt and forget. However, I think the move backwards in usability of a number of very basic functions goes beyond glitches. It makes me think of the retrograde developments in Google Maps.

If the functions ain't broke don't fix 'em.

Advertisement