Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

***** Motors Chat - Round 5*****

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Wife said yesterday she wouldn't mind a MINI. Yes, once it's a Cooper S. :pac:

In fairness, I quite like them (except for the new 4 door variants).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Lesson for today: you can never have too much cardboard to negate the effect of cold concrete. I'm in bits and still have a pile of work to do..... No study for the wicked :o
    Oh god I'm 31 :(

Happy birthday old man!

Don't you go having a mid life crisis now and buying a big V8 to make yourself feel young.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

Got an email saying my tires have been despatched this morning from oponeo, looks like I'll get my wheels sorted by wed/thurs!!!!

You get tires delivered? Fascinating. Where are they coming from, and is it cheaper than to buy them locally or are they just better quality?

I hope you don't mind me asking. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,292 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

GvidoR wrote: »
    You get tires delivered? Fascinating. Where are they coming from, and is it cheaper than to buy them locally or are they just better quality?

Tyres never work out cheaper locally unless you live in Dublin tbh.

dgt wrote: »
    Lesson for today: you can never have too much cardboard to negate the effect of cold concrete. I'm in bits and still have a pile of work to do..... No study for the wicked :o

Happy birthday old man!

Don't you go having a mid life crisis now and buying a big V8 to make yourself feel young.... :pac:

That's why I keep a blanket in the boot of the car. :D I'm not an old man but sure feel it sometimes. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Dord wrote: »
    That's why I keep a blanket in the boot of the car. :D I'm not an old man but sure feel it sometimes. :(

They make blankets that size? :pac:

pred racer wrote: »
    They make blankets that size? :pac:

That's mean! :(

I fold it up and use it on the ground when I'm working on the car. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Dord wrote: »

If things were set up properly I'd have the yoke in the garage and be in there not outside!

I'm absolutely aching everywhere, had to move one heavy ignorant engine from the back of the haus to the engine bay, then drop a subframe and rack to insert a new arb. What made things far worse than they should have been is I slipped on a socket opening a wheel where the wheel bolts had 2 different sizes. The result is I mashed my arm off the bonnet and found it very difficult to do simple tasks after that! :(

I await the jokes about not being able to do simple tasks :p

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

GvidoR wrote: »

I had trouble finding the tires I wanted even in Dublin. So just ordered online, I could have looked harder I guess, but feck it!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Tyres never work out cheaper locally unless you live in Dublin tbh.

Not entirely true. If your tyres are 17 / 18 plus there can be huge savings. For something like 15's on a small yoke it will always be cheaper locally. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Not entirely true. If your tyres are 17 / 18 plus there can be huge savings. For something like 15's on a small yoke it will always be cheaper locally. ;)

EG my carina, recently got 4 new 15's fitted, middle of the range (Kormorans) for €220 in kildare town.Can't see that being cheaper online tbh.

For the tyres for my truck on the other hand, (apparently it's a P235/75R15 size as per online listings, but I don't think that's the size that's on her atm) I can see myself having to buy online to avoid being fleeced.

EG my carina, recently got 4 new 15's fitted, middle of the range (Kormorans) for €220 in kildare town.Can't see that being cheaper online tbh.

For the tyres for my truck on the other hand, (apparently it's a P235/75R15 size as per online listings, but I don't think that's the size that's on her atm) I can see myself having to buy online to avoid being fleeced.

Northants Tyres for you so. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

I missed out on that on Adverts in Dublin for €200 a few weeks ago.

Big Nasty wrote: »
    Northants Tyres for you so. ;)

Cheers for that link...
    They look cheap enough (excl fitting of course)
    http://www.northhantstyres.com/main-tyre-pages/Kingrun-tyres/235-75-15-kingrun-wsw.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Did you dell the Suberp CHP.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Did you dell the Suberp CHP.

Not yet, I've had serious offers of 9k which I am considering but want to hold out for a bit more.

Cheers for that link...
    They look cheap enough (excl fitting of course)
    http://www.northhantstyres.com/main-tyre-pages/Kingrun-tyres/235-75-15-kingrun-wsw.html

No problemo dude. ;)

Don't forget to factor in VAT and delivery but yeah, they're still pretty reasonable and service is focking excellent. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Not yet, I've had serious offers of 9k which I am considering but want to hold out for a bit more.

Surely worth more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Surely worth more than that

The problem with it is that it's a low spec import. Lower even than our base model AFAIK. The spec is even lower than the rep mobile Greenline version my dad had.

• Advertisement

The problem with it is that it's a low spec import. Lower even than our base model AFAIK. The spec is even lower than the rep mobile Greenline version my dad had.

Which is why it is the cheapest (by over 1k) model for its year on donedeal.
    But yeah, it makes it a difficult sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Is there much of a VRT refund on that? Wonder would you get more selling up north or in the UK?

Is there much of a VRT refund on that? Wonder would you get more selling up north or in the UK?

The guy I got it off showed me a receipt for 2.5k VRT which he had paid.
    They go for less than £7k up north in similar spec, plus there's the hassle of trying to export as a private individual. I tried that for the e60 when I was selling it and I thought people were not interested in the UK (including NI) in buying an Roi car.

I might spotlight the ad on DD and if there's no interest by the end of next week reconsider the 9k. I mean the car is costing me 300 a month in loan repayments so it gets to a point where I need to cut my losses. I wouldnt have gotten €9k for the 535d.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I mean the car is costing me 300 a month in loan repayments so it gets to a point where I need to cut my losses. I wouldnt have gotten €9k for the 535d.

that's a massive amount for a repayment.

that said, you'd swear money was no object the way you are gong around making silly purchases.

that's a massive amount for a repayment.

that said, you'd swear money was no object the way you are gong around making silly purchases.
    Hardly silly purchases now in fairness.
    Take my last few months:
    Swap e60 535d for Skoda Superb
    5500 for a GMC C1500
    1600 for a 300zx twin turbo
    750 for a toyota carina e 2.0d with 420k miles
    500 for an e36 318is

etc etc, none of these are silly purchases. Would you prefer that I bought a cheap TEEE DEEEE EYE with cheap tax for better mpg for my trips to the shops and to mass?

:cool::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I think having 5 cars is probably what he's on about :p

I think having 5 cars is probably what he's on about :p

Better than p!ssing it against a wall imo ! :pac:
    But seriously, there are posters on here with way more than that!

Nothing wrong with having a few cars. Given the option wouldn't most of us take 10 different seriously tasty motors over one Veyron?

Economies of scale considered I'd rather a few 'interesting' yokes than one good car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Hardly silly purchases now in fairness.
    Take my last few months:
    Swap e60 535d for Skoda Superb
    5500 for a GMC C1500
    1600 for a 300zx twin turbo
    750 for a toyota carina e 2.0d with 420k miles
    500 for an e36 318is

etc etc, none of these are silly purchases. Would you prefer that I bought a cheap TEEE DEEEE EYE with cheap tax for better mpg for my trips to the shops and to mass?

:cool::pac::pac::pac:

no, i think anyone that knows me knows i wouldn't be a diesel lover, or tight fisted when it comes to motoring enjoyment.

just kind of shocked having seen all your automotive gallivanting to the tune of a good few thousand euros with fairly obscure and expensive motoring choices to find that you have a hefty bankloan on your main car.

if it were me i'd rather be debt free, then buy stupid stuff but hey, that's really none of my business whatsoever, so i apologise for even going there :) and you could also be a millionaire and i just don't know :P

i didn't even know you had the 318is, always had a liking for them. any pics? 500 seems a snip if it isn't in ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭Kaiser D

I have had loads of cars, 4 and 5 at one time, but the majority were sub €1k. I have never and will never have a loan on a car.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement