Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 2520 Tablet

Options
  • 10-11-2013 3:59pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭

800nokia_lumia_2520_hero.jpg

As this is due in a few weeks thought it was time to give it a thread.

One model with 4 colours, Black, White, Cyan and Red. Video shows 8gb card being added, but 32gb is supported with the 32gb internal. 4G, NFC, HERE maps as standard. The power keyboard will be separate.

Specifications
    Full Spec List

Display
    Display size: 10.1 ''
    Display technology: ClearBlack, IPS LCD
    Touch screen technology: Capacitive Multipoint-Touch

Photography
    Primary camera sensor size: 6.7 MP
    ZEISS optics: Yes

Power management
    Maximum standby time: 25 days
    Battery capacity: 8000 mAh
    LTE max data speed DL: 150 Mbps

Processor
    Processor name: Qualcomm Snapdragon™ 800
    Processor type: Quad-core 2.2 GHz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Looks nice, if you like the style of the Lumia range (which I do).

It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the Surface 2 performance wise. Based on the videos above I would say the Surface 2 keyboard is neater and more useful. At least you can buy the Surface 2 without the keyboard and it still has a kickstand - lack of stand was a major PITA when I got my Nexus 7 last year and even having tried a few different covers / stands it's still not ideal.

I wonder will this be available at retail like the Surface, or strictly with a 3G / 4G contract in phone shops?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

As to performance i find it better than any of the surface tabs.The keyboard is also quite good.
    If you like the surface you will like this,just a matter of ones preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭droidman123

Anyone know when or where it is available in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Does anyone know if this will be on sale here carrier free? price? before Christmas?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Advertisement

Here we go, launching in UK next week for £399 (€480) not bad price I suppose.

http://www.t3.com/news/nokia-lumia-2520-on-sale-december-4th

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

The KB is £150 which is mad!:eek:

jimmynokia wrote: »
    The KB is £150 which is mad!:eek:

Hopefully they'll bundle it by Christmas

Griffinx wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll bundle it by Christmas
    Should be bundled now imo, makes it more attractive for consumers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Should be bundled now imo, makes it more attractive for consumers.

Seems that Nokia are bundling the keyboard for some buyers, which is a good move. Hopefully that will be applied over here too.

I've read a couple of reviews and generally it seems to be a good tablet, but the keyboard cover is bulky and heavy. Which is a shame as you'll probably need it a lot since you won't have a kickstand built into the actual unit.

Additionally you're paying extra for the LTE / 4G feature, so it would be a waste to buy one if you're going to just be using it at home all the time - you'll want a data plan. The current Irish 4g plans are looking to be pricey (especially once the introductory periods are over).

I dunno I'm still thinking that the Surface 2 is better value for money, especially if you don't need to buy a keyboard accessory. 200GB Skydrive is a nice bonus too..

its a great tablet and the kb is too.
    be interesting to see who picks it up here or who sells it.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ronanc1000

It's good to see that UK customers are able to buy this tablet now before Christmas thanks to John Lewis. Usually availability there means soon to arrive here, but I'm thinking stores here would need to have the 2520 stocked within the next 10 days to catch that Christmas buying market.

There's been no real mention of availability pre Xmas from stores here, not looking good for us at the moment.

When it does arrive here I've to agree with jimmynokia on this, interested to see who stocks it , I imagine it will be two to three stores at least maybe currys/pc world and maybe one mobile carrier when first released.

There should definitely be a bundle of the Lumia 2520 with Power Keyboard but there will be a presumed €470 minimum price tag attached.
    If its not out here within the next 10 days, it will hit stores post Xmas.

I'm going to add that some stores will see that selling the 2520 pre Xmas won't make a difference to them. As much as we know and love this tab, unfortunately the general public will still want the larger known iPad etc which stores will drive to sell more of forgetting Nokia's first tablet, for Christmas time which is not good for the future growth of this tablet and the windows os in general which is unfortunate.

Thing is operators never pushed tablets they should start to do bundle deals now like other regions do ,it makes it far more attractive and desirable.
    If anyone will sell it it will be 02 or cpw.
    Maybe if the operators do wake up and do bundled packages it will take off.

If it was going to be available here pre-christmas I would guess pc world or whoever would be taking preorders,so it doesn't look good.surely the worst time to launch a new product is the months following Christmas.

We'll just have to wait and see if there is any news within the next week to ten days from stores here on a pre Xmas sale. Otherwise, wait until hopefully January when it could go on sale. Another option is to take the plunge and buy it from John Lewis, if thats even possible. But your looking at €500 with shipping etc.

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    We'll just have to wait and see if there is any news within the next week to ten days from stores here on a pre Xmas sale. Otherwise, wait until hopefully January when it could go on sale. Another option is to take the plunge and buy it from John Lewis, if thats even possible. But your looking at €500 with shipping etc.

I don't think they deliver electronic goods to Ireland,maybe a parcel motel job.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

John Lewis will only have red and black for launch also which won't suit many people.

The other matter with this tablet, I could be gone before it takes off with RT looking dead from next year

Davy wrote: »
    John Lewis will only have red and black for launch also which won't suit many people.

The other matter with this tablet, I could be gone before it takes off with RT looking dead from next year

Red aint bad,better than black! I like the cyan one :)

Red aint bad,better than black! I like the cyan one :)

If going glossy, I would prefer white on this, and I don't go for white on any device. I think the gloss red is too strong on such a large device. A matt red and glossy cyan might have been better. Of course to make matters worse the keyboards are only red and black

• Advertisement

Likely they will merge Windows Phone & RT...wonder will they upgrade the 2520/surface 2 to the new merged OS

John Lewis now have an offer on the 2520

Special offer

Special Offer: Free £25 Microsoft App Store gift card included with the purchase of this item.

Offer ends 12th January 2014. While stocks last

i think its cool.. whats so strange?

Picked up mine in Edinburg at the weekend.

Liking it so far

I agree with the idea of the ad, I think its a bit 'childish' for a want of a better word. The animation doesn't make me think of a high quality product, and don't get me wrong I have used my 2520 outside alongside an iPad and think the 2520 is better just think the execution of the ad was lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Wouldn't go as far as calling it strange, but seems a little bit too long and pointless. Think real life examples are better than something drawn up in a cartoon. It barely shows the device too.

I agree with the idea of the ad, I think its a bit 'childish' for a want of a better word. The animation doesn't make me think of a high quality product, and don't get me wrong I have used my 2520 outside alongside an iPad and think the 2520 is better just think the execution of the ad was lacking.

Cant take everything in life as real,this is just a novel ad pointing out in a simple way as to how the 2520 works outdoors,it does as it says on the tin in reality i have used it indoors,outdoors and took it for a spin testing the game (dragons adventure) worked flawlessly.

Wouldn't go as far as calling it strange, but seems a little bit too long and pointless. Think real life examples are better than something drawn up in a cartoon. It barely shows the device too.

If if was too short what would be something else,what is a correct video duration time then?
    I also like the music in this just to rub it in,but to be impartial like any other device it has its flaws.Davy would probably conclude with me on that,depending on how long he has used it.

• Advertisement

I think the add is rubbish. For such a great product at launch and one to take on the iPad, its a real let down tbh. For such a premium product its needs something more real, to show off the device. That add doesn't represent the 2520 very well.

Advertisement