Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nokia Lumia 2520 Tablet

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm not a fan of the ad. I don't mind that it's cartooney and it does get it's point across well but I just don't think it sells the device enough. Do many people really use their tablet in direct sunlight? I don't think so. They should really be showing off more features of the device in the ad. Hopefully, this is just one of many that all show off a different feature of the device.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I'm not a fan of the ad. I don't mind that it's cartooney and it does get it's point across well but I just don't think it sells the device enough. Do many people really use their tablet in direct sunlight? I don't think so. They should really be showing off more features of the device in the ad. Hopefully, this is just one of many that all show off a different feature of the device.

I dont always use in direct sunlight, but would normally a few times a week. I had been using the iPad as the device and did find it annoying at times, but my point was more about the ad itself rather than the function of the device.

The device is much better in plenty of aspects than the iPad but i dont really see it in the same market tbh, but there has been plenty of ads for the 2520 if you search, and they actually showcase the device a little better.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

ronanc1000 wrote: »
    I think the add is rubbish. For such a great product at launch and one to take on the iPad, its a real let down tbh. For such a premium product its needs something more real, to show off the device. That add doesn't represent the 2520 very well.
    Says the ipad user. :-)

There has been plenty of ads highlighting the features.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Not a huge fan of the ad, but it really does get the point across.

But unfortunately, I can't say what I would have done to make a better ad.
    The tablet doesn't really function in any way different to every other tablet on the market, does it? So what is this devices selling point?

Having a touch screen that can be seen in sunlight is an innovation.
    But will it make people hand over cash?

The wireless charging that caused so many heated arguments was also an innovation, but it didn't seem to win them any sales, did it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

But unfortunately, I can't say what I would have done to make a better ad.
    The tablet doesn't really function in any way different to every other tablet on the market, does it? So what is this devices selling point?

Having a touch screen that can be seen in sunlight is an innovation.
    But will it make people hand over cash?

The wireless charging that caused so many heated arguments was also an innovation, but it didn't seem to win them any sales, did it?

The wireless charging hasn't working because it seems like its not really an addition, they need to drive home more how it is an addition. I didn't really think much of it tbh at first, but since I have got used to it, I find it great and would want it on my devices.

Going back to the tablet, it doesn't function that much different than others on the market, but it does have a lot going for it outside of the app race.

The nokia additions like camera, HERE maps etc will appeal to many, and then people with lumia devices or even windows 8 laptops/desktops may go for it over an iPad because your settings and setup will be common across your devices.

The multitasking is much better because of the split screen using different apps together. On the iPad you would have to keep switching between one to the other all the time. If you were using emails and browsing it can get to be a pain. With the windows os you can have at least some control over it. I know common to other tabs like the surface etc but this is another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭droidman123

Does anyone know when this tablet will be available to buy in Ireland?

Does anyone know when this tablet will be available to buy in Ireland?
    Looking like late Jan, early Feb..

Very unusual time to launch something no?

Hope fully this will turn things around for Nokia here.

Very unusual time to launch something no?

Hope fully this will turn things around for Nokia here.
    John lewis has exclusivity. I'm totally against these exclusivity deals. Same how the Americans didn't want to know Nokia lumia, two years ago, now they are getting the cream.

Bagging a network might seem profitable, but keeping exclusives stops putting device's into people's hands, and giving the Americans first pop is not going down well with the European fans, never mind the UK. I'm talking about the phone's and the tab.

I only know a few selected people that have the 2520 here be it publicly known or not, the fact remains people want to buy and people can't here, and have to source elsewhere. No info no nothing, same as to device's, the 1520 for example.
    As much as I'm a Nokia fan, tester etc etc I don't hold back on choices made if they are wrong.

Another thing that has been argued is the lumia black for the public, bringing it out direct on device's ie the 1320/1520 etc when it can work on others. You get the point.....

• Advertisement

1304618376_tumbleweed-gif.gif

Davy wrote: »
    1304618376_tumbleweed-gif.gif

WTF?

jimmynokia wrote: »
    WTF?

Thought it was self explanatory, just pointing out the lack of activity in the thread. Thought more would be using it by now.....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tumbleweed
    tumbleweed
    Dusty aggregation of plant matter rolled along the ground by the desert wind. A cliche of Western movies, emphasising silence or stillness,

Thought it was self explanatory, just pointing out the lack of activity in the thread. Thought more would be using it by now.....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=tumbleweed

Since none are available here and people are cheesed off is it a wonder. p...

Since none are available here and people are cheesed off is it a wonder. p...

Ah sure you dont need to have the tablet to discuss it do you? :pac:

Or if anyone is considering one could be particular questions, hence the tumbleweed.

If anyone wants something tried or tested on the 2520 before they decide I dont mind checking, just let me know.

Ah sure you dont need to have the tablet to discuss it do you? :pac:

Or if anyone is considering one could be particular questions, hence the tumbleweed.

If anyone wants something tried or tested on the 2520 before they decide I dont mind checking, just let me know.

I'm in the market for a new tablet so tell me why I should fork out for one of these over the next best thing.

I'm in the market for a new tablet so tell me why I should fork out for one of these over the next best thing.

Has anyone suggested you buy it here?
    It's a nice tab the fact that it's RT bothers many.
    It's nice that's all I'll say but I have many tablets so each to their own.
    Best tablet on market price wise for me is nexus 7.

Has anyone suggested you buy it here?
    It's a nice tab the fact that it's RT bothers many.
    It's nice that's all I'll say but I have many tablets so each to their own.
    Best tablet on market price wise for me is nexus 7.

Nobody has Jimmy, not at all.
    Truth is, my want for it is completely superficial.
    So I was hoping someone could justify the extra cost for this over say...an MS Surface. (attachable keyboards are still important to me)

So I was hoping someone could justify the extra cost for this over say...an MS Surface. (attachable keyboards are still important to me)
    It's really down to what suits the individual, as you know the keyboards are not available yet to the public nor is the dam tablet here. We have to go other routes to get it.
    It's nice slightly overpriced imo.

It's really down to what suits the individual, as you know the keyboards are not available yet to the public nor is the dam tablet here. We have to go other routes to get it.
    It's nice slightly overpriced imo.

No, but they are available to someone that wants them enough.
    He simply asked me to ask, and I was just hoping he could answer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There isn't a heck of a lot in the difference. The Nokia is lighter and thinner Snapdragon processor in the Nokia would be better than the Tegra 4 the Surface is sporting. Whether any of that is really that noticeable is another story as they both have enough poke to run Windows 8 very well (I thought the first Surface was a bit too sluggish). The Nokia has 4G connectivity whereas the Surface just has WiFi so depending on how useful that is, it could be the dealbreaker. The Surface comes with a full USB port where the Nokia would need an adapter (unless you get the keyboard case).

The Surface has more options with the case, you can get a very thin touch case, a slightly thicker type case with proper keys or the power cover which is like the type cover but thicker and gives another 4 hours battery life, give or take. The case for the Nokia is the same as the power cover for the surface but also gives two USB ports as well. The power cover for the Surface hasn't been released yet but if I remember right it's going to be about $200 whereas the Nokia cover is only $149 and Nokia have even given it free with some of the tablets.

If you can get the case free with the Nokia then it works out to be a great deal so it would work out significantly cheaper than the surface and a keyboard case. If not, then there really is feck all in the difference. If you like Windows 8 and don't mind the somewhat limited app selection that it currently has then you really won't be disappointed with either.

its unlikely the kb will be free here on release,maybe an offer on release and that will be it....

There isn't a heck of a lot in the difference. The Nokia is lighter and thinner Snapdragon processor in the Nokia would be better than the Tegra 4 the Surface is sporting. Whether any of that is really that noticeable is another story as they both have enough poke to run Windows 8 very well (I thought the first Surface was a bit too sluggish). The Nokia has 4G connectivity whereas the Surface just has WiFi so depending on how useful that is, it could be the dealbreaker. The Surface comes with a full USB port where the Nokia would need an adapter (unless you get the keyboard case).

The Surface has more options with the case, you can get a very thin touch case, a slightly thicker type case with proper keys or the power cover which is like the type cover but thicker and gives another 4 hours battery life, give or take. The case for the Nokia is the same as the power cover for the surface but also gives two USB ports as well. The power cover for the Surface hasn't been released yet but if I remember right it's going to be about $200 whereas the Nokia cover is only $149 and Nokia have even given it free with some of the tablets.

If you can get the case free with the Nokia then it works out to be a great deal so it would work out significantly cheaper than the surface and a keyboard case. If not, then there really is feck all in the difference. If you like Windows 8 and don't mind the somewhat limited app selection that it currently has then you really won't be disappointed with either.
    Thanks for the breakdown. It was alot of help.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The only other advantage of the 2520 is that it uses the clearback display so has really good sunlight performance. Saying that I've never really had a problem using my Surface in the sun.

liamog wrote: »
    The only other advantage of the 2520 is that it uses the clearback display so has really good sunlight performance. Saying that I've never really had a problem using my Surface in the sun.

I wouldn't say only advantage. Are 4G, gorilla glass, NFC for your lumia for storyteller, better camera, and GPS with HERE maps not an addition?

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

I wouldn't say only advantage. Are 4G, gorilla glass, NFC for your lumia for storyteller, better camera, and GPS with HERE maps not an addition?

Don't forget LTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Griffinx wrote: »
    Don't forget LTE

Is LTE not 4G?

54kroc wrote: »
    Is LTE not 4G?

Going blind in my old age

Had anyone got any accessories for their 2520 yet? Usb/hdmi adapter , cover, sd card?

• Advertisement

Advertisement