Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock - The BBC4/BBC3/BBC2/BBC1 Music Programmes thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

'World in my Eyes' is 27 years old and sounds as fresh as ever. Hurry up and announce some Irish dates!

• Registered Users Posts: 72,411 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Good set - easy to forget just how big Depeche Mode are.

People of Glasgow very lucky to see them in such a small venue as opposed to the venues they would usually play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

People of Glasgow very lucky to see them in such a small venue as opposed to the venues they would usually play.

I was never a big fan- got given a ticket for their last gig in the o2, and was blown away!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭mollser

Genuinely never liked them before, for me it's like discovering a new band! I'm sure it's a cliché by now but by god we were spoilt back in 80 90s time

I would put DM in the same bracket as Iron Maiden and The Cure in that they are their own 'cottage industry'.

They don't have to rely on radio play or record sales - they know their fanbase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The Pogues always loved going back to Glasgow too. One of their favourite venues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

sligojoek wrote: »
    The Pogues always loved going back to Glasgow too. One of their favourite venues.

U2 I&E Glasgow was rated one of the great gigs, by all accounts
    Must keep it mind for a gig soon..

I still get goosebumps when I see the famous arm waving during 'Never Let Me Down Again'. Apparently, the Rose Bowl gig was the first time Dave tried it, I could be wrong though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxepBg_LYCo

RAMMSTEIN do a great version of 'Stripped'.

Love Smashing Pumpkins version of 'Never Let Me Down Again' aswell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oipMgVLFJxI

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

• Advertisement

Skid X wrote: »

For sure? :(

If so, as an 'Avid' I will say thank you for introducing me to so much great music from the sixties that I may not ever have heard.

RIP

For sure? :(

If so, as an 'Avid' I will say thank you for introducing me to so much great music from the sixties that I may not ever have heard.

RIP

I can't say I knew him. Would he be the Larry Gogan of BBC radio?

RIP

I can't say I knew him. Would he be the Larry Gogan of BBC radio?

RIP

Worked on and off for the Beeb for more than 60 years, and was very close friends with The Beatles.

Pulp and Morrissey live on Sky Arts tonight :)

'Alma Matters' - great song :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,602 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Now, I love The Beatles. And Hendrix. I do.

But I'll tell you what, psychedelia can s*ck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭OldRio

Memo to BBC4.

When transmitting music shows from the 1960's please remember your target audience is of a certain age.
    eg. Tucked up in bed with a horlicks at 10 and the means of recording such shows is totally behond them.
    Therefore put the shows on at a reasonable hour.

I thank you.

I see Later with Jools Holland returns at 10pm on Tuesday on BBC Two ... except for viewers in Northern Ireland who get it at 11.15pm. BBC Norn Iron have scheduled a Country Music thing about the Three Amigos going to Spain at 10pm.

There is an extended version of the show on Friday at 11pm on BBC Two (That's an extended version of Later With Jools, not the other thing).

Jools Holland returns for the 50th series of the BBC's flagship live music show. Joining him on the first show from Kent are Leicester's own rock 'n' roll troupe of merry men, Kasabian, who debut songs from their upcoming LP For Crying Out Loud. It is their sixth album and no doubt contains more rousing stompers that will be played in their many festival headline spots to come this summer.

Making their UK TV debut is West Coast-based Anderson .Paak & The Free Nationals. Anderson is a singer, songwriter, producer and drummer and one-time protege of Dr Dre - he runs through a couple of tracks from his Malibu LP, a 'breezy blend of R&B, funk, soul and pop'.

UK electro-duo Alison and Will, aka Goldfrapp, are back with songs from their seventh album Silver Eye, which sees them return to the deep and dark synth-pop sound of some of their earlier work. More debuts on the show come courtesy of Thundercat, the Los Angeles bass player and Kendrick Lamar collaborator, whose jazz-infused hip-hop/soul vibe has been winning friends and reviews through thrilling his live shows and third album Drunk. From Austin, Texas come rock band Spoon, who since forming in 1993 have been consistently releasing albums to critical success. They finally make their TV debut here with a song or two from their recently released ninth album Hot Thoughts.

Completing the line-up is Phoenix-born singer songwriter Courtney Marie Andrews, who topped the UK's official Americana chart back in January with her third album Honest Life, a collection of songs of everyday, hard-working lives tinged with longing, regret and belief.

Other artists coming up in the series include Ed Sheeran, Valerie June, Future Islands, Royal Blood, Jamiroquai, Robert Cray, The xx, Lorde, Stormzy, Blondie and more.

Didn't know Josh Widdecombe played drums for Kasabian :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

kasabien are the spinal tap of britpop

• Advertisement

Hi there, heres a look at whats on offer this weekend. Sky Arts begins their Sky Arts Rocks season with a new Manic Street Preachers Doc on Saturday, BBC Four are determined to milk those TOTP shows until they ache, and RTE pull out a Luke Kelly thing. All sorts of repeats to be found too ...

Thursday
    7.30pm&12.30pm Top of The Pops 1983 - August 11
    Chart highlights from August 11, with artists including David Grant, Level 42 and Depeche Mode. Presented by Tommy Vance and Richard Skinner. Full details here http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=479822&id=5857709&lid=7

11.25pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Highlights of the music show celebrating new and innovative talent, featuring James Vincent McMorrow, Lisa Hannigan and John Smith, The Frames, Little Green Cars, The Coronas, Mick Flannery, Kodaline, Villagers, The Strypes and more

1.05am Depeche Mode 101
    DA Pennebaker's documentary following the Basildon band as they prepare for the final date of their Music for the Masses tour at the Pasadena Rose Bowl in California in 1989. The film charts how their profile increased during the late 1980s, leading to them becoming one of the most popular alternative rock acts in the world, and also follows a group of young fans travelling across the USA by bus to attend the concert

Good Friday
    7.30pm & Midnight Top of The Pops 1983 - September 1
    Chart highlights from September 1, featuring music by Modern Romance, Madness, Genesis, Big Country, Stray Cats and UB40. Presented by John Peel and Kid Jensen. Full details here http://thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=479822&id=5857715&lid=7

8pm Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison (Sky Arts)
    Documentary examining the country star's 1968 concert at California's Folsom Prison, with contributions by his family and band members, as well as inmates who witnessed the event

9pm & 12.30am Top of The Pops - The Story of 1980
    Documentary exploring the music show's evolution, and the dramatic changes that took place in 1980 when a new generation of British pop arrived, leading to the veteran Top of the Pops orchestra being laid off, and the studio audience doubling in size. Featuring Adam Ant, the Human League, OMD, Kevin Rowland, Sally Lindsay, Kelly Marie, Ray Dorset, Johnny Logan, the Vapors, the Piranhas, and Richard Skinner

10pm & 1.30am Top of The Pops 1980: Big Hits
    A selection of performances from the show in the first year of the 1980s, when the rise of a new generation of pop stars signalled a new era for Top of the Pops and for British society. Featuring My Girl by Madness, Brass in Pocket by Pretenders and Geno by Dexys Midnight Runners, as well as appearances by Adam Ant, Spandau Ballet, the Piranhas, Hot Chocolate, OMD, Motorhead and the Beat

10pm Jimi Hendrix: American Landing (Sky Arts)
    Documentary charting the rise of the guitarist, who become a global star following his incendiary performance at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967

10.55pm & 2.30am Music for Misfits: The Story of Indie (Part 1)
    DIY Movement Mark Radcliffe narrates an examination of the history of the indie genre, beginning by exploring the origins of the UK's alternative music scene with the emergence of independent record labels and the eclectic sound hubs they spawned in cities across the country. It looks at the impact of Buzzcocks' Spiral Scratch EP from 1977, which was the first independently produced and distributed release of the era and inspired others to set up labels including Factory, Postcard and Rough Trade. Featuring exclusive interviews with performers including New Order's Stephen Morris and Gillian Gilbert, Buzzcocks' frontman Pete Shelley, James Dean Bradfield of Manic Street Preachers, Belle and Sebastian's Stuart Murdoch, Malcolm Ross of Aztec Camera and Orange Juice, and the Jesus and Mary Chain's Jim Reid. With contributions from Influential music industry figures such as Pete Waterman, Factory Records' designer Peter Saville, music entrepreneur Seymour Stein, and music producer and Mute Records founder Daniel Miller

11pm Later With Jools Holland (BBC2) (New Series)
    New series. The 50th season of the show gets under way with performances by Kasabian, Goldfrapp, Thundercat, Anderson .Paak & The Free Nationals, Spoon and Courtney Marie Andrews

11.15pm Classic Albums: Electric Ladyland (Sky Arts)
    In-depth insight into the making of Jimi Hendrix's 1968 double album Electric Ladyland, as famous for its sleeve design as the songs within

12.30am Deep Purple: From Here to Infinity (Sky Arts)
    Documentary telling the story of the pioneering and influential British heavy rock band, with cameras also following them as they enter the studio to record a new album

2am Trailblazers: Punk (Sky Arts)
    A look at the origins of punk, featuring contributions by film-maker Don Letts, Radio 1 DJ Annie Nightingale, ex-Sex Pistols bass player Glen Matlock and Rich Kids drummer Rusty Egan, with archive clips of Sex Pistols, the Clash, Buzzcocks, Siouxsie and the Banshees and Ramones. Noddy Holder narrates

Saturday
    6pm REM by MTV (Sky Arts)
    Documentary, charting the 30-year history of Georgia-formed US rock band REM, as recorded by MTV since the channel was launched back in 1981. Making use of archive interviews, performances and previously unused footage of Mike Stipe and company, the film explores how one of America's most popular musical exports developed alongside the `MTV generation'

8pm Discovering Music - Radiohead (Sky Arts)
    Music journalists Camilla Pia, John Aizlewood, Will Hodgkinson, Michael Bonner and Hamish MacBain discuss Radiohead's rise to alt-rock superstardom. The band's 1993 debut Pablo Honey eventually became a hit after the single Creep was regularly featured on MTV, before they found worldwide acclaim with The Bends and OK Computer

8.30pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Oasis (Sky Arts)
    Director Nigel Dick chats about the inspiration for the videos for Oasis songs Wonderwall, Champagne Supernova, The Importance of Being Idle and Don't Look Back in Anger, and reflects on his fractious relationship with the Gallagher brothers

9pm Manic Street Preachers - Escape From History (Sky Arts) New! Programme of The Week!
    Feature Length Documentary telling the story of the band's acclaimed 1996 album Everything Must Go, which was recorded in the wake of the disappearance of lyricist and guitarist Richey Edwards

https://vimeo.com/202409940

10.40pm Manic Street Preachers Live at Nynex (1997)
    Edited recording of the Welsh rock band Manic Street Preachers performing at the Manchester NYNEX on 24 May 1997

10.55pm Top of The Pops 1983 - August 11
    Same as Thursday

11.30pm Top of The Pops 1983 - September 1
    Same as Good Friday

12.05am Chas & Dave: Last Orders
    Documentary offering an insight into Chas Hodges and Dave Peacock's successful five decades in the music industry, which has seen them share the same bill as Led Zeppelin and make a big impact on London's cultural landscape. The film blends archive performances with more recent tour footage and features contributions by Pete Doherty, Jools Holland and Phill Jupitus. Narrated by Arthur Smith

12.40am Blur: New World Towers (Sky Arts)
    Documentary chronicling the making of Blur's acclaimed 2015 comeback album The Magic Whip, from its origins in Hong Kong to the band performing material in London's Hyde Park

1.05am London Songs at the BBC
    A collection of performances from the BBC archives celebrating the sights and sounds of London. The programme includes Petula Clark singing A Foggy Day in London Town in 1965, and Adele performing her love letter to the city, Hometown Glory, in October 2007. Also featuring the Jam, Eddy Grant, Tom Paxton and Lily Allen

2.05am Squeeze: Take Me I'm Yours Very Late Night Repeat of The Week!
    The story of how Chris Difford and Glenn Tilbrook formed rock band Squeeze in 1974 and had their first top 20 single four years later with Take Me I'm Yours. The pair discuss writing and recording many of the group's greatest songs, and reflect on the highs and lows of their friendship. Featuring contributions by former band members Jools Holland and Paul Carrack, as well as Elvis Costello, Mark Knopfler and Aimee Mann

2.30am Video Killed The Radio Star: Depeche Mode (Sky Arts)
    A behind-the-scenes look at the making of a selection of Depeche Mode's most notable music videos

Easter Sunday
    8pm Live from The Artist's Den - Alanis Morrisette (Sky Arts)
    Alanis Morissette delivers a set including hits Ironic, You Learn and Thank U at the historic Judson Memorial Church in New York's Greenwich Village

9pm Oasis Live at Barrowlands (2001) (Sky Arts)
    A 2001 concert by the band in Glasgow, featuring performances of songs including Go Let It Out, Supersonic, Live Forever, Roll with It and Cigarettes & Alcohol

10pm Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds Live at Hurricane Festival 2015 (Sky Arts)
    The musician and his band perform at the German music festival, with songs including Dream On and Riverman as well as Oasis tracks The Masterplan and Don't Look Back in Anger

10.35pm Luke Kelly - Prince of The City (RTE1)
    Profile of the folk singer and musician, exploring his legacy as an unrivalled collector and interpreter of song

Nothing much on Easter Monday

I was trying to find out when RTE2 started to simulcast TOTP at the same time as BBC1, that drew a blank but I did stumble on this RTE2 Menu. How's about that for an eclectic Line Up? ...

rte2totp.jpg

http://simonbkelly.com/images/rte2totp.jpg

You can just imagine Farmers staying up for Mart and Market would have loved the Russian Language Epic 26 DAYS OF DOSTOYEVSKY'S LIFE (all in Block Capitals) while musing on what Ewes and Hoggets were making in Kiltimagh. Almost makes BBC Four's Scheduling look joined-up.

Anyway, The Snooker starts on Saturday and the BBC will be playing a castrated version of one of the best Sports Theme Songs, so here's The Doug Wood Band to play the real thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

12.05am Chas & Dave: Last Orders is well worth seeing even if you think you have no interest in Chas and Dave. It's really an insight into a London sorry Larndarn that is being swept away by demographics and gentrification.

Skid, you forgot the musical highlight of the year!

Good Friday, RTÉ One, 9.35pm.

*stetson*

:pac: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

Skid X wrote: »
    Anyway, The Snooker starts on Saturday and the BBC will be playing a castrated version of one of the best Sports Theme Songs, so here's The Doug Wood Band to play the real thing

AFAIK, there are only three BBC sports themes now that haven't been horribly re-recorded or dropped altogether - the MOTD theme and both Wimbledon themes, Keith Mansfield's "Light and Tuneful" at the start and Arnold Steck's "Sporting Occasion" at the end. (And even then, all you hear of "Sporting Occasion" is the closing bar, and not every day of the tournament.)

Doug Wood's one-man band was also responsible for the Beeb's original darts theme, "Cranes", which perhaps surprisingly was dropped as early as 1998:

Imagine being a fan of The Jam in summer '83 and seeing this! :D

Don't know whether to laugh or cry!

Classic Depe-shay :)

Hey Beavis, he said 'Big Log'.

Uh-huh huh, uh-huh huh, uh-huh huh, huh-huh...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,602 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Hehe hehehehe hehehe

Big

Heheheh

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sometime in the mid 90s a college sports team of which I was a member ended up in someone's gaff after a very boozy night out

There was a radio cassette player on the table and (still being able to read upside down) I could see 'ROBERT PLANT BIG LOG'
    and being a big LZ fan was wondering.. wtf is that? I'll probably never find out!
    The guy we knew who invited us back didn't own it (and pressing play on someone else's cassette was a bit of a faux pas, especially if they owned the player as well.)
    But thanks to Youtube... :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Peel And Jensen getting in the swing of things for tonight's LLS :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement