Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,947 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

noodler wrote: »
    If you've watched the three hours or so of videos I dunno how you wouldn't call it brilliant but you are contrary by nature!

Hoping the next series learns from some of the weaknesses of ME1 which I found to be overrated when I eventually got a chance to play it.

Where did you find evidence it was the original intention?

I'm hoping they learn more from the Witcher 3 which blows everything Bioware have ever done out of the water. If anything I want them to bring back the actual role playing from ME1 but keep the combat from later games or refine it.

As for evidence of it being the original intent, been ages since so just read up a bit about it. The original writers planned ending seems even more daft to be honest. It was probably more a plan for Mass Effect 3 but no developers have confirmed anything.

An even bigger annoyance than the ending in ME3 was Harbringing not returning. Thought it was a great foil for Shepard.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,123 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Loved the Indoctrination Theory. Watched a 90 minute video on it on Youtube when the hype was at it's peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

ye sure that wasnt Todd Howard?

It would appear I have been visualising Todd Howard every time someone says Casey Hudson.
    J. Marston wrote: »
    Loved the Indoctrination Theory. Watched a 90 minute video on it on Youtube when the hype was at it's peak.

I think the fact that anyone would pay the slightest bit of attention to something as patently absurd as the indoctrination theory is the most damning indictment of the writing in ME3. It just can't be the real ending they tell themselves with manic zeal glimmering in their eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

:D they do look similar though, thin & black haired white guys in their 40's with arrogant attitudes

clones!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,313 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Zillah wrote: »

I think the fact that anyone would pay the slightest bit of attention to something as patently absurd as the indoctrination theory is the most damning indictment of the writing in ME3. It just can't be the real ending they tell themselves with manic zeal glimmering in their eyes.

Patently absurd?

No, it wasn't.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Patently absurd?

No, it wasn't.

If you want to have a conversation about it I think a more detailed reply would be warranted, don't you?

I think it's absurd because it is clearly not what the developers intended based on everything they have said since the game was released. They've defended the value of the ending of the story, not as a metaphor but as a literal chain of events.

They even released a patch that added new content to the ending to flesh it out and solidify their version of events. If ever they were going to reveal or confirm "It was all a dream!" that would be when they would do it, and they didn't. It's now a dead theory, and never held any weight to begin with - it was all based on wild hope and extreme stretches of the imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Another sale on console (PS3) for the different mass effect DLC and still never been reduced on Origin, still the same stupid amounts bioware point as when they were new. The point arn't used in anything else either, can't use the ones I do have in the old republic or any other Bioware/EA game.

Likley getting Andromeda on console.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,287 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

If you want to have a conversation about it I think a more detailed reply would be warranted, don't you?

I think it's absurd because it is clearly not what the developers intended based on everything they have said since the game was released. They've defended the value of the ending of the story, not as a metaphor but as a literal chain of events.

They even released a patch that added new content to the ending to flesh it out and solidify their version of events. If ever they were going to reveal or confirm "It was all a dream!" that would be when they would do it, and they didn't. It's now a dead theory, and never held any weight to begin with - it was all based on wild hope and extreme stretches of the imagination.

That is a different argument entirely that you have decided to have.

You said the theory itself was absurd - not people thinking it was the 'real' ending.

Thinking it is the real ending could be considered absurd but that isn't the argument. thinking it is a good theory or would have been a good ending is what you called absurd. So the post I have quoted doesn't actually address the argument at all - you've just started a different one.

That is a different argument entirely that you have decided to have.

You said the theory itself was absurd - not people thinking it was the 'real' ending.

Thinking it is the real ending could be considered absurd but that isn't the argument. thinking it is a good theory or would have been a good ending is what you called absurd. So the post I have quoted doesn't actually address the argument at all - you've just started a different one.

Indeed.

The three best pieces of work on this are the Clevernoob videos.

The author constantly maintains that the theory wasn't necessarily Bioware's intention but, and this was pre EC now for two of his videos, that they would have a chance to rectify the crap ending with the EC.

I highly recommend watching the videos but they are a time sink. Some of his conclusions you can disagree with (and you will because I don't always agree with his flow of logic) but I found it a fascinating way to while away a few hours.

Even in the EC, where they ostensibly put paid to the theory, they included new elements that further muddy the waters.

Edit. Id love to mention some of the aspects of the theory I found most convincing but I don't want to derail this thread too much.

A theory is something you maintain as a likely explanation for something. The early days of the indoctrination theory were always presented as the secret explanation for what was actually happening - I've never watched the insane three hours of exposition that represents the more recent/thorough attempts.

So sure, if they mean "Let's play imagination time" in regard to what would be a more fun story, that's fine, imagine away. Don't call it a theory though.

• Advertisement

A theory is something you maintain as a likely explanation for something. The early days of the indoctrination theory were always presented as the secret explanation for what was actually happening - I've never watched the insane three hours of exposition that represents the more recent/thorough attempts.

So sure, if they mean "Let's play imagination time" in regard to what would be a more fun story, that's fine, imagine away. Don't call it a theory though.

Are you for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,575 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

yeah that figures alright, they've had so many staff (writers and more)leave in the last year it's unsurprising

• Registered Users Posts: 45,287 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Not surprising news at all considering it was officially announced over a month ago that it's release window was October 2016 to March 2017.

I figured it would be quarter 4 rather than quarter 3 so neither surprised nor gutted by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭CiaranW

Dam, was really looking forward to this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

It was very clear it would not be out this year at all, if it was they would have shown the game running at E3 last year. There has yet to be a single in game screen shot released so far that's not concept material.

It was very clear it would not be out this year at all, if it was they would have shown the game running at E3 last year. There has yet to be a single in game screen shot released so far that's not concept material.

Not just that either, they've literally given nothing away to the public since November 7th last year, which was their N7 day Shepard thing, and prior to that it was the announcement trailer with the Johnny Cash song in it.

So many of their staff have left since that announcement too, it's quite troubling to think of how the game is and probably has been effected by it.

The concept stuff has been out for years now, and oddly enough the quarter it's scheduled to be released in, will mark the 5th year anniversary of ME3's release. Which basically means they've been on this project for at least 6 years as they'd announced just post release of ME3 that they were already working on a new ME title.

Could be just fanboy paranoia but i get the impression they've gone back to the drawing board more than a few times with this and managed to piss off a lot of their senior writers, enough to make them leave in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

A perfect opportunity to release the remastered trilogy.

Do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

A perfect opportunity to release the remastered trilogy.

Do it.

They have come and said it twice that they have no intention of doing it and EA have no interest of it happening either.

I'd welcome it and buy it straight away.

They have come and said it twice that they have no intention of doing it and EA have no interest of it happening either.

Weird. Sounds like easy money to me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd be very surprised if it doesn't happen. As Zillah says, it'd easy money and loads of people would still buy it.

You just know they wouldn't include the DLC in it though :rolleyes:

A leaked survey has revealed a couple of details. Looks like humans are the aliens this time invading exploring planets looking for a place to call home and are met with some heavy resistance.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-30-mass-effect-andromeda-marketing-survey-leaks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    A leaked survey has revealed a couple of details. Looks like humans are the aliens this time invading exploring planets looking for a place to call home and are met with some heavy resistance.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-30-mass-effect-andromeda-marketing-survey-leaks

Cool. Get to do what humans do and exterminate some local fauna!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I absolutely loved every part of the Mass Effect trilogy, and I am quite content with it ending with part three, but Andromeda is stirring a deep rooted desire to explore space again! :D I am going to spec for the 'Biological Weapon' tech tree. Putting all my talents in 'Common Cold'/'Influenza' where my very presence will wipe out indigenous life and 'Syphilis' where I can fúck my adversary to death should he or she ever get that close to me.

Falthyron wrote: »
    Putting all my talents in 'Common Cold'/'Influenza' where my very presence will wipe out indigenous life and 'Syphilis' where I can fúck my adversary to death should he or she ever get that close to me.

Someone get this guy a survey to fill out ASAP!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Weird. Sounds like easy money to me.

I'm not sure EA have ever remastered anything have they?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Loved ME and completed the trilogy and I will play this new game but I just hope that if it's another series there's not as much confusion between the entries. Like infinite ammo to needing heat clips. Weapon drops to no weapon drops/buy in shop. Mako to no mako/mineral mining etc etc. They never really got it right I think and chopped and changed too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,343 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

some leaked gameplay and effects

https://vid.me/p41b

Skerries wrote: »
    some leaked gameplay and effects

https://vid.me/p41b

Showed up yesterday, not sure how much stock i'd put in it, but the jetpack did look pretty cool

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

I'm all about the barrels exploding.

Advertisement