Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband Speed Issue

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

You'll end up with 2 modems...

Yeah, that'll probably happen but if it does I'll just return the other to Vodafone.

degsie wrote: »
    That's great but I'm not sure this has anything to do with this thread as you are no longer a sky customer ;)

You're right but still...
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-7kgfv6FB7ng/UojsHXIDFnI/AAAAAAAARn0/xFZoHy1xcBE/w500-h281/926.gif

I could definitely create a new thread but I feel it unnecessary as this almost acts as a timeline - the failure of my Sky broadband service.

Unnecessarily decreasing my speeds to totally ignoring Fibre Broadband.

jca wrote: »
    Oh God, that sounds very like the messing I had with Voda while trying to move from sky bb. After waiting 60 days for the modem I gave up and went with Eircom. The best thing about Eircom is the installer brings the modem with him, saves a lot of stress.. Vodafone wouldn't put me on eFibre straight away. I had to go on DSL first and then they would move me onto eFibre, a strange way of doing it I thought:confused: It didn't matter in the end the whole thing became a mess of eMails and phone calls and then cancellation by me. The feckers even had the cheek to try and charge me a cancellation fee claiming I breached the contract..... Anyway I hope none of that happens to you and everything falls into place.

I got a despatch email from Vodafone for the Modem so I have confidence that it'll get here soon.

Bringing the Modem with the Engineer seems like a great idea alright, gets rid of all the hassle.

What's your current speeds like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

I'm about 550m from the cabinet, Eircom have me on the 50/20 profile my speeds are 47-48 dl and 18-19 upload. Pings have taken a huge drop in the last two weeks falling from 25-35 m/s to a consistent 9 m/s. Wired tests btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I'm about 550m from the cabinet, Eircom have me on the 50/20 profile my speeds are 47-48 dl and 18-19 upload. Pings have taken a huge drop in the last two weeks falling from 25-35 m/s to a consistent 9 m/s. Wired tests btw.

We could live next door! Exact same situation here. I have a feeling vectoring is not enabled yet, only G.INP. We might improve yet.

• Advertisement

We could live next door! Exact same situation here. I have a feeling vectoring is not enabled yet, only G.INP. We might improve yet.

I don't think vectoring is enabled either. My attainable has dropped from 87 down to 62.

I don't think vectoring is enabled either. My attainable has dropped from 87 down to 62.

That's a huge decrease in attainable alright.

Vodafone Modem came today, it's about twice the size of the Sky Hub! Monster of a thing! Does it have 5GHz wireless or just 2.4GHz? Thanks everyone for all your help!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I got a despatch email from Vodafone for the Modem so I have confidence that it'll get here soon.

Bringing the Modem with the Engineer seems like a great idea alright, gets rid of all the hassle.

What's your current speeds like?
    I'm pretty sure the modem is despatched from Dublin (not UK). Mine ordered on a Friday, arrived Monday 8am. Daughter's ordered on a Monday, arrived Tuesday am. Standard An Post Express delivery labels. As non-operational said - you'll end up with two!
    eircom/kn engineer doesn't install VF modem, though. You'll have to connect it yourself. At least that's my experience with two separate VF fibre installs.

fat-tony wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the modem is despatched from Dublin (not UK). Mine ordered on a Friday, arrived Monday 8am. Daughter's ordered on a Monday, arrived Tuesday am. Standard An Post Express delivery labels. As non-operational said - you'll end up with two!
    eircom/kn engineer doesn't install VF modem, though. You'll have to connect it yourself. At least that's my experience with two separate VF fibre installs.

I got it today, wasn't around when the An Post man came so I had to go to the sorting office to collect it. Not worried if I end up with 2 as there's a returns address on it that I can mail back presumably. So the engineer will just install the new faceplate, connect me over to VDSL and be on their way? Will s/he also check what speeds I can get?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

If you are there yourself when the tech installs the faceplate/NTU you can ask him/her to give you the line details - attenuation, SNR, speed etc. The VF modem works fine on ADSL also, so if you can't resist... :p

edit - wait - I forgot you were on SKY! I was on VF previously so the built-in login in the modem worked prior to the switchover. SO cancel that..

• Advertisement

fat-tony wrote: »
    If you are there yourself when the tech installs the faceplate/NTU you can ask him/her to give you the line details - attenuation, SNR, speed etc. The VF modem works fine on ADSL also, so if you can't resist... :p

At the minute I'm grand, just thinking of that upload... If UPC had a bigger upload I would've went with them.

But temptation might get the best of me you never know! I could end up connecting :P

Engineer due this morning, so far they've been a no show :(

He came after all, said he was stuck at a house.
    Here's my results...

Before...
    3455674103.png
    After...
    3461461836.png
    Only the slightest bit of an increase... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Fantastic - oh and happy birthday!!

He came after all, said he was stuck at a house.
    Here's my results...

Before...
    3455674103.png
    After...
    3461461836.png
    Only the slightest bit of an increase... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

So, can those of is still using Sky bb be left in peace to enjoy our improved backhaul with everybody bailing out :) Thanks.

So, can those of is still using Sky bb be left in peace to enjoy our improved backhaul with everybody bailing out :) Thanks.

If you can't get Fibre or UPC then Sky is great and in fairness to them their customer service is top class.

If you can't get Fibre or UPC then Sky is great and in fairness to them their customer service is top class.

Agreed. Been getting 16mb consistently from the start and never a glitch. Looking at UPC as I would like better upload speeds.

Agreed. Been getting 16mb consistently from the start and never a glitch. Looking at UPC as I would like better upload speeds.

UPC is grand speed wise but their customer service isn't great.

Could you not get Fibre from Vodafone or Eircom?

UPC is grand speed wise but their customer service isn't great.

Could you not get Fibre from Vodafone or Eircom?

Not available to me as yet. Think I'm direct fed from exchange which complicates things.

Not available to me as yet. Think I'm direct fed from exchange which complicates things.

Ah that's unfortunate yeah.
    I'm UPC will be a great increase for you though.

• Advertisement

I checked my usage and I managed to use 24GB yesterday! I'm so lucky it's unlimited....

I checked my usage and I managed to use 24GB yesterday! I'm so lucky it's unlimited....

How do you check your usage. I'd say mine is in the heavens. ..

Let it go lads! Two words 'salt', 'wounds'.

How do you check your usage. I'd say mine is in the heavens. ..

You check on MyVodafone.

For me it says xxx/Unlimited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

You check on MyVodafone.

For me it says xxx/Unlimited.

I'm with Eircom. Still can't get the my Eircom page setup....

I'm with Eircom. Still can't get the my Eircom page setup....

Oh right, I use some monitoring software to let me know how much I use too.

NetWorx I believe it's called.

Hi all,
    Sorry to keep bringing up this thread but I got my Sky bill the other day,
    For -€7.20 :P
    So I didn't incur any charges for leaving Sky early (albeit only 4 days but still.)
    Hope this helps anyone currently on the fence regarding switching! :)

Hi all,
    Sorry to keep bringing up this thread but I got my Sky bill the other day,
    For -€7.20 :P
    So I didn't incur any charges for leaving Sky early (albeit only 4 days but still.)
    Hope this helps anyone currently on the fence regarding switching! :)

I left them a month early and to be fair to them they didn't punish me either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭woppers

I just want to add to this long post. It's been a while since I contributed.

My speed test issues got solved. I don't know how, I didn't contact them because I didn't have time to do so.

Then my Sky contract ended. Then Vodafone contacted me and promised me the world if I moved to them so I did. Vodafone also tole me that I had 7 days to change my mind without any hassle. That was a lie. I endured a world of pain for 4 weeks because of Vodafone.

When Vodafone offered me the world, I accepted. I rang Sky 2 days later and the offered me another amazing offer so I accepted it. I rang Vodafone to cancel and i was told it was canceled. Then they continued to take over my line anyway. I tried to cancel again and they said I could be without broadband for 3 weeks if cancel with them. It was a nightmare.

Long story short, Sky's customer service is by far the best customer service I have ever had to deal with. When I was ttrying to cancel with Vodafone I found them quite rude as if it was my fault that there was a problem. One guy actually argued with me over the phone and called me stupid. I never get angry with customer service staff because the are only trying to do their job but I got in an awful row with this guy. Eventually i rang back and I got through to a lovely guy who sorted out my problem in 10 minutes. I was trying for 4 weeks to get this problem solved

Advertisement