Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband Speed Issue

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Been on hold now for 17 minutes which isn't great... Might just ring up tomorrow in the morning when hopefully no one else would be ringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Yes, one of the problems, getting through.

Found first thing in the morning.

It amazes me

airuser wrote: »
    Yes, one of the problems, getting through.

Found first thing in the morning.

It amazes me

You'd think they'd do what most companies do whereby you get through to sales straight away but you're on hold with cancellations for ages!
    20 minutes now... At least their hold music isn't too bad :rolleyes:

You'd think they'd do what most companies do whereby you get through to sales straight away but you're on hold with cancellations for ages!
    20 minutes now... At least their hold music isn't too bad :rolleyes:

Most call centres in this country are very poor. Found SKY the best.

As I said see how it goes.

Most call centres in this country are very poor. Found SKY the best.

As I said see how it goes.

After nearly 35 minutes on hold I heard this automated voice saying lines closed at 8pm! I'll have to ring tomorrow at 9am so.

• Advertisement

Just off the phone with Vodafone, the guy was talking through his hole! Told me that I can't order because Sky own the line and I'll have to wait until I'm cut off from Sky after the 18th when my landline and internet will go dead. I then have to ring up and place an order with Vodafone which will take a minimum of 3 weeks! Then I'll lose my landline because Sky own it and they have to "recycle" it....

I've never heard such nonsense... Thinking of ringing again to see if I can get through to someone who actually knows what they're on about!

Just off the phone with Vodafone, the guy was talking through his hole! Told me that I can't order because Sky own the line and I'll have to wait until I'm cut off from Sky after the 18th when my landline and internet will go dead. I then have to ring up and place an order with Vodafone which will take a minimum of 3 weeks! Then I'll lose my landline because Sky own it and they have to "recycle" it....

I've never heard such nonsense... Thinking of ringing again to see if I can get through to someone who actually knows what they're on about!

I have never heard such rubbish. Have not Vodafone advertised that they have a Switch Team that would do all that for you.

That would mean that you may lose your number as well.

When I left VF to go to SKY, never lost anything. It was sweetness and light.

Now one can see why I am reluctant to change over. If it take 3 weeks if one is lucky to get Fibre broadband from VF

I have never heard such rubbish. Have not Vodafone advertised that they have a Switch Team that would do all that for you.

That would mean that you may lose your number as well.

When I left VF to go to SKY, never lost anything. It was sweetness and light.

Now one can see why I am reluctant to change over. If it take 3 weeks if one is lucky to get Fibre broadband from VF

Oh it's a load of nonsense alright... I'm going to ring up again in a few to see if I can get someone else.

If this is how Vodafone act when they're tryna get customers... I dunno.

They advertise uSwitch.ie winner 2014.

Wonder who gave them that title. We are 4 months into 2014 and it could take them 3 weeks to change you over.

What business model are they working from.

How about Eircom? Have looked into deals to suit my circumstances. But at this time SKY look better. Except for speed.

Certainly never had poor CS from them. As said before VF left a lot to be desired.

They advertise uSwitch.ie winner 2014.

Wonder who gave them that title. We are 4 months into 2014 and it could take them 3 weeks to change you over.

What business model are they working from.

How about Eircom? Have looked into deals to suit my circumstances. But at this time SKY look better. Except for speed.

Certainly never had poor CS from them. As said before VF left a lot to be desired.

Sky won a uSwitch award too though and so did UPC so I wouldn't take any notice of that.

I haven't rang yet as I want to be pleasant on the phone and the more I think about the level of incompetence... It just frustrates me!

3 weeks is way too much... And even at that this is the minimum! (According to Vodafone)

• Advertisement

At this time with all the equipment thesis companies have that it takes a min of 3 weeks to change over.

Sky did it for me on the day they said and within the time stated.

If it takes so long. How come no one has been on various forum to say so.

Wonder they one get a person reading off the wrong script.

Have you tried the on line chat line ?

If one does change and loses the Internet for a number of weeks. What can one do?

In all this time ons switching from one provider to an other has not improved in all this time.

Looked at VF website. Saying that it takes 10days to set up phone service and up to 15 days for BB.

But one would have to check if one would lose service.

If one did what recourse would one have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

I switched from Sky to Eircom recently. It took Eircom a couple of weeks to come and install the modem, but they didn't do the actual switchover until the install had happened, so I still had broadband from Sky until the switchover happened.

I switched from Sky to Eircom recently. It took Eircom a couple of weeks to come and install the modem, but they didn't do the actual switchover until the install had happened, so I still had broadband from Sky until the switchover happened.

Did you incur any fees from Sky? Did you give Sky any notice or just let Vodafone do everything?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Did you incur any fees from Sky? Did you give Sky any notice or just let Vodafone do everything?

Gave Sky no notice. I was paying them for broadband up until the switchover date and then I started paying Eircom.

Just rang there now, was talking to a lovely woman called Kirsty. It's ordered now! I'm delighted :)

Looked at VF website. Saying that it takes 10days to set up phone service and up to 15 days for BB.

But one would have to check if one would lose service.

If one did what recourse would one have.
    Yup that's what the woman told me on the phone. She said that it "should" be much quicker and it usually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Yup that's what the woman told me on the phone. She said that it "should" be much quicker and it usually is.

I ordered last Saturday week and I am already up and running with Vodafone.

Speed test 38 down, 15 up and ping 8ms.

Can go wrong..

Don't know if I'll be charged with sky again but I was out of contract since feb, but the guy wanted 31 days notice. LOL

Sup08 wrote: »
    I ordered last Saturday week and I am already up and running with Vodafone.

Speed test 38 down, 15 up and ping 8ms.

Can go wrong..

Don't know if I'll be charged with sky again but I was out of contract since feb, but the guy wanted 31 days notice. LOL
    I rang up around a month ago and just asked about how I would go about cancelling and the guy gave me the UAN, didn't even try and make me stay. So I wonder does that count as notice?

As long as I get up and running after the 18th I should be grand.

Does anyone remember the number you can ring where it tells you what landline provider you have? 91 something or something? I can't remember :P

I woke up a few minutes ago to find I've no internet... Not getting an IP on the Sky Hub and the self heal isn't fixing anything.

I'm going to plug in my old Vodafone router and see what it does.

• Advertisement

Yeah I've been cut off from Sky. This is unusual because I was told my switch over would be seamless. Here's what it says on the Sky website.

"You have removed Sky Talk from your subscription

You may see some credits on your next bill for products you have removed. This is because we collect some subscription payments in advance, so when you cancel a product, we refund you the advance payments pro rata.

Product changes
    14 Apr: removed Call Answering
    14 Apr: removed Call Waiting
    14 Apr: removed Caller Display
    14 Apr: removed Sky Talk
    14 Apr: removed Sky Talk Freetime
    14 Apr: removed Three Way Calling
    14 Apr: removed Variable Call Forwarding
    14 Apr: removed Withhold Number
    15 Apr: added Supplement for not having Sky Talk
    This bill was generated before you made changes to your account; the effect of these changes will be shown on your next bill."

I'm so sorry for all the spam. Perhaps a mod can edit all my posts into the one or I can do it myself later on.

Eventually the Globe on the Vodafone router turned solid and it gave me a VODAFONE IP ADDRESS!

This is only a few hours after I rang to switch over.

So now I have internet from Vodafone and it's syncing at the exact same speeds my Sky Hub was syncing at.

Can anyone help me as to what is going on?

I haven't a clue!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

That happened to me but my internet wasn't cut off the same night I rang. Expect early termination charges from Sky. Mine were €30.

That happened to me but my internet wasn't cut off the same night I rang. Expect early termination charges from Sky. Mine were €30.

Vodafone told me that it would take up to 10 days for the landline to transfer over and assured me that it would be well passed the 18th by the time it switches. I surely didn't expect less than a day and it's switched! I didn't know the VDSL would fall back onto the ADSL. Surely the fee Sky would charge for 2 days before the contract is over wouldn't be too much? I really should sleep instead of worrying about the silly internet connection!

Vodafone told me that it would take up to 10 days for the landline to transfer over and assured me that it would be well passed the 18th by the time it switches. I surely didn't expect less than a day and it's switched! I didn't know the VDSL would fall back onto the ADSL. Surely the fee Sky would charge for 2 days before the contract is over wouldn't be too much? I really should sleep instead of worrying about the silly internet connection!

Did you tell them about your contract? I told you to wait the day after your contact ends because of what happened to me. Vodafone clearly don't fúck around when adding customers to their service. We'll know better next time.

Did you tell them about your contract? I told you to wait the day after your contact ends because of what happened to me. Vodafone clearly don't fúck around when adding customers to their service. We'll know better next time.

We surely will!

Alright this is just weird... I connected the Sky Hub back in for whatever and I got a Sky IP address! So I have Vodafone and Sky on the one line... Did this by any chance happen to you too? Very strange.

We surely will!

Alright this is just weird... I connected the Sky Hub back in for whatever and I got a Sky IP address! So I have Vodafone and Sky on the one line... Did this by any chance happen to you too? Very strange.

It did. I could use both Sky and Vodafone.

Same thing happened when I switched from Eircom to Sky in February 2013, except the transfer to Sky took a bit longer.

It did. I could use both Sky and Vodafone.

Same thing happened when I switched from Eircom to Sky in February 2013, except the transfer to Sky took a bit longer.

Which one should I use do ye reckon? I might just keep using the Sky until I get my new Vodafone Modem and an install date. It's the same speeds so it doesn't really matter tbh.

Which one should I use do ye reckon? I might just keep using the Sky until I get my new Vodafone Modem and an install date. It's the same speeds so it doesn't really matter tbh.

Go with the one with the best Pingtest result: http://www.pingtest.net/

• Advertisement

Go with the one with the best Pingtest result: http://www.pingtest.net/

Thanks for that, I might just do that.

Advertisement