Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband Speed Issue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

Thanks for the reply. Not to sure if my exchange is ADSL2+ on eircom site they were offering me the [up to 24MB package] would that mean it is ADSL2+?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Barry5714 wrote: »
    Hi I'm with Sky for the past 14 months receiving 6MB download speed and was just on eircom site and said id test my phone number and see what they offer when i click Discover the maximum speed you will experience in your home it says i could get a maximum of 12MB.

Just wondering what any of ye think. Can my line handle more speed?

Speedtest
    3317838196.png

Line Stats
    Broadband Link Downstream/Upstream
    Connection Speed 7168 kbps/384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 25.5 dB/13.5 dB
    Noise Margin 12.3 dB/20.20 dB
    I'm in th email same boat with similar figures. They can't get me more than 6 without problems. Got an email last year saying they could give me the 12 they promised. Tried again tree recently and no joy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Only have to wait until April now and then the contract is up!! I can't wait to be getting 70/20 or 200/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3357319742

my contract has actually expired thank god, anybody know anyone that does decent wireless broadband?

Not eircom or vodafone, and obviously not sky!!!

rogieop wrote: »
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3357319742

my contract has actually expired thank god, anybody know anyone that does decent wireless broadband?

Not eircom or vodafone, and obviously not sky!!!

Imagine maybe? Are you in a UPC area? What about Magnet? Digiweb?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

Imagine maybe? Are you in a UPC area? What about Magnet? Digiweb?

no not in a upc area, and just out of range for efibre, but apparently i can get up to 24 meg??

Ill have a look at digiweb and magnet, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

rogieop wrote: »
    no not in a upc area, and just out of range for efibre, but apparently i can get up to 24 meg??

Ill have a look at digiweb and magnet, cheers.

http://irelandoffline.org/map/

Ringing up on Tuesday to try get a better deal or tell them I'm off to Vodafone! The prospect of 70/20 or 200/10 is exciting! :D

Just an update, I now seem to be getting 8 down 1 up with Sky. I will hopefully be ringing Vodafone on Monday and they say my line can support up to 100Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Just an update, I now seem to be getting 8 down 1 up with Sky. I will hopefully be dining Vodafone on Monday and they say my line can support up to 100Mb.

Deadly,

I too jumped ship, waiting far too long on Sky, fibre contract would have been nearly over at this stage.
    Anyway, appoint for Tuesday next week for the Vodafone engineer, have to wait a few days but then 50 down 20 up from the line test they done.

• Advertisement

Sup08 wrote: »
    Deadly,

I too jumped ship, waiting far too long on Sky, fibre contract would have been nearly over at this stage.
    Anyway, appoint for Tuesday next week for the Vodafone engineer, have to wait a few days but then 50 down 20 up from the line test they done.

Do they do a line test when you ring up? I can't wait to order, hopefully it'll be installed and running within 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Do they do a line test when you ring up? I can't wait to order, hopefully it'll be installed and running within 2 weeks.

The guy done the test and told me the speeds over the phone, said at peak times up may drop to about 16 and down to about 30 but according to whatever test, there is no contention so far on the line so I should get pretty much top speed all the time.
    Install is 10 days after the call, I called last Saturday and it's getting installed on Tuesday and then can take up to 15 days for the fibre to switch over.

I can't wait either :D

Sup08 wrote: »
    The guy done the test and told me the speeds over the phone, said at peak times up may drop to about 16 and down to about 30 but according to whatever test, there is no contention so far on the line so I should get pretty much top speed all the time.
    Install is 10 days after the call, I called last Saturday and it's getting installed on Tuesday and then can take up to 15 days for the fibre to switch over.

I can't wait either :D
    Nice! Did you have to give Direct Debit information or can you pay with Debit Card on their website or whatever?
    I'll be ringing Monday but I might just ring sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,545 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Fair's fair. My peak time speeds with Sky have jumped over the last two weeks. Had been getting <1Mb peak and 6 Mb off peak. Getting 6 Mb almost constantly now. Dunno what they changed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Zith

Fair's fair. My peak time speeds with Sky have jumped over the last two weeks. Had been getting <1Mb peak and 6 Mb off peak. Getting 6 Mb almost constantly now. Dunno what they changed.....

I think it is the wholesale offering from eircom that has changed. It's advertised as uncongested now. My speed has jumped with sky but the pings are all over the place and it seems to drop packets in the evenings now instead (15-25%).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Haven't jumped ship as yet.
    Speed and pings have been constant 8.65M and ping34ms.
    Noticed no higher speeds at all.
    Although speeds one afternoon one day went up to over 11M over 3 minutes. Then dropped back.

Just checked the "daft" speed I got.

8/4/2014. 10.47 18.83Mb/s. 32ms

"". 10.49. 10.58Mb/s. 32ms.

"". 10.51. 8.67Mb/s. 42ms.

The last speed is what I average

I'm getting about 8 down now. Hopefully I'll be ringing Vodafone tomorrow.

I'm getting about 8 down now. Hopefully I'll be ringing Vodafone tomorrow.

When is your contract up?

When is your contract up?

5 days so 18/4.

• Advertisement

I rang Vodafone the day before my contract ended with Sky and I got charged €30 for changing over. I suggest waiting the day after your contract ends if you were planning on switching tomorrow.

I rang Vodafone the day before my contract ended with Sky and I got charged €30 for changing over. I suggest waiting the day after your contract ends if you were planning on switching tomorrow.

Would that not run into the next month then? My thinking was again Vodafone change everything over it'll already be passed the 18th.

My speed this evening has dropped away to hell. Down to just over 3.5M

airuser wrote: »
    My speed this evening has dropped away to hell. Down to just over 3.5M
    Mine are thankfully staying around 8Mb. Is there Fibre in your area?

I'm about to ring Vodafone now and see.

Mine are thankfully staying around 8Mb. Is there Fibre in your area?

I'm about to ring Vodafone now and see.

Back up again. SKY on the whole ok. Except speed. No sign of them going over.

Fibre in the area. Eircom or Vodafone. Had very poor service from both when with them.

Would that not run into the next month then? My thinking was again Vodafone change everything over it'll already be passed the 18th.

I got my router the next day. Make sure you tell them when your contract is up - that was my mistake.

Back up again. SKY on the whole ok. Except speed. No sign of them going over.

Fibre in the area. Eircom or Vodafone. Had very poor service from both when with them.

Yeah I'm going to miss the customer care as I always found that great with Sky.

When I was with Eircom and Vodafone before I found them both okay.

I got my router the next day. Make sure you tell them when your contract is up - that was my mistake.

Thanks for that so I should just ask them not to changeover anything until at least the 18th?

Currently on hold on the phone :P

Thanks for that so I should just ask them not to changeover anything until at least the 18th?

Currently on hold on the phone :P

Hope one gets through. Let us know how it goes.

• Advertisement

Hope one gets through. Let us know how it goes.

Will do! Still on hold... They're lucky the number is free :pac:

Advertisement