Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband Speed Issue

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

That happens. When the switch over is going through you are authenticated with both providers for a while. As it is still the same line in the exchange it's not that strange.

The VDSL doesn't fall back to ADSL, it's just that until the VDSL is spliced onto your line at the cabinet, you cannot have it. Needs a physical connection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

That happens. When the switch over is going through you are authenticated with both providers for a while. As it is still the same line in the exchange it's not that strange.

The VDSL doesn't fall back to ADSL, it's just that until the VDSL is spliced onto your line at the cabinet, you cannot have it. Needs a physical connection.
    Thanks, I think I'm understanding it now....
    I'll probably post a speed test to the speed test forum just to see which connection is faster :)
    They're both syncing at the exact same speeds, same server and both on Ethernet.
    I'll post later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

3442567001.png

Well there is my test a few minutes ago. Looked at the settings and I'm set at 40Mbps and 16Mbps so i'm pretty much hitting top speed.
    Must ring them and make sure they up me to the 50 as per offer and see what they say..LOL

Thanks, I think I'm understanding it now....
    I'll probably post a speed test to the speed test forum just to see which connection is faster :)
    They're both syncing at the exact same speeds, same server and both on Ethernet.
    I'll post later on.

Depending on the exchange it could be Eircom handling the whole thing for both providers so it may be identical. You will hopefully have an install date for the fibre soon. I'm sure you'll be happy with it!

Sup08 wrote: »
    3442567001.png

Well there is my test a few minutes ago. Looked at the settings and I'm set at 40Mbps and 16Mbps so i'm pretty much hitting top speed.
    Must ring them and make sure they up me to the 50 as per offer and see what they say..LOL

What are your stats? SNR margin mainly...

• Advertisement

3442567001.png

Those are very nice speeds! How far are you from the cabinet do you know?

Depending on the exchange it could be Eircom handling the whole thing for both providers so it may be identical. You will hopefully have an install date for the fibre soon. I'm sure you'll be happy with it!

My exchange has LLU, I hope to get the modem soon followed by the install date. Hopefully it won't take too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭airuser

Just rang there now, was talking to a lovely woman called Kirsty. It's ordered now! I'm delighted :)

Delighted to hear that you got a more positive reply this time.

Airuser

Alans181824,

Re your loss of Internet in the early hours this morning. About 0.400 hours this morning had no internet. Rebooted and all ok.
    Did notice when I moved from VF to SKY had both for a day or so.
    At that time I had both modems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

My exchange has LLU, I hope to get the modem soon followed by the install date. Hopefully it won't take too long.

So, how long before we see a new thread titled 'Vodafone Broadband Speed Issue' :D

• Advertisement

degsie wrote: »
    So, how long before we see a new thread titled 'Vodafone Broadband Speed Issue' :D

Good on ye!!!

degsie wrote: »

Fingers crossed there won't be and I'll be sure to post a speed test once everything is setup.

I wonder how long it'll take for the Modem to arrive...

Fingers crossed there won't be and I'll be sure to post a speed test once everything is setup.

I wonder how long it'll take for the Modem to arrive...

Usually about a week.

Did they give you an activation day? Then a day or so before that.

Do you have to have a new faceplate to be installed to cope withe Fibre?

The latter is where any delay may happen.

One of my neighbour's has VF installed and up and running within 10days.

So wish you all the best with VF

Airuser

Ps let us know all the gory details.

airuser wrote: »
    Usually about a week.

Did they give you an activation day? Then a day or so before that.

Do you have to have a new faceplate to be installed to cope withe Fibre?

The latter is where any delay may happen.

One of my neighbour's has VF installed and up and running within 10days.

So wish you all the best with VF

Airuser

Ps let us know all the gory details.

I haven't received anything from Vodafone yet. But given today is a bank holiday I didn't expect to either.

Hope to have everything set up soon.

I'll definitely let everyone know how it goes.

Regards.

I haven't received anything from Vodafone yet. But given today is a bank holiday I didn't expect to either.

Hope to have everything set up soon.

I'll definitely let everyone know how it goes.

Regards.

10 working days. I should have said.

10 working days. I should have said.

Ah I see, thanks Airuser :)

I was given an install date today, next Friday 25th, which is actually my birthday!

Should be a great present :)

Hope to get the Modem on Tuesday now.

I was given an install date today, next Friday 25th, which is actually my birthday!

Many congrats for the 25th. Hope all goes well

Airuser

Many congrats for the 25th. Hope all goes well

Airuser

From looking on their website they have my address wrong, a big chuck is missing. Maybe that's why I haven't received my modem yet!

Also, one of my neighbours is actually an Eircom Engineer so I wonder if I'll get him on the install date!

From looking on their website they have my address wrong, a big chuck is missing. Maybe that's why I haven't received my modem yet!

Also, one of my neighbours is actually an Eircom Engineer so I wonder if I'll get him on the install date!

Alan181824
    Keeping my figures crossed for you. From what they(VF) have would the modem get to you. An Post do wonders. I have had post come to me with just my surname and Douglas. Got it.

About the install try him. All he can say is "no".

• Advertisement

Alan181824
    Keeping my figures crossed for you. From what they(VF) have would the modem get to you. An Post do wonders. I have had post come to me with just my surname and Douglas. Got it.

About the install try him. All he can say is "no".

That's reassuring. Yeah An Post are pretty reliable in fairness to them. I think I'll wait until Tuesday and see if anything comes. If not I may just ring up and request a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Hi All,
    Just on Sky charges after cancelling, here is what it says on my bill.

skyscreen.PNG

I don't think I've ever seen somebody as excited about a VDSL install before! Like a child waiting for Christmas... Good on ya! :cool:

Hi All,
    Just on Sky charges after cancelling, here is what it says on my bill.

skyscreen.PNG

So changing from SKY went swimmingly and up and running within 2weeks. Fantastic.

Hope you will be in a position to get a higher profile.

I don't think I've ever seen somebody as excited about a VDSL install before! Like a child waiting for Christmas... Good on ya! :cool:

Haha, I'm genuinely excited though, I really am.

The upload is gonna be great and that download...

I'll of course let everyone know how it goes, only 5 days to go! ;)

That's reassuring. Yeah An Post are pretty reliable in fairness to them. I think I'll wait until Tuesday and see if anything comes. If not I may just ring up and request a replacement.

Hi there, just a quick update,
    Nothing came this morning so I decided to ring up to change the address and order a new Modem. The man on the phone almost gave out to me for the address not being totally correct! Their call centre appears to be in the UK somewhere judging by their accents and the place I live in is called Graiguecullen, which I guess was too hard to spell so it was left out!
    Hope to have the new modem before Friday.

Nothing came this morning so I decided to ring up to change the address and order a new Modem. The man on the phone almost gave out to me for the address not being totally correct! Their call centre appears to be in the UK somewhere judging by their accents and the place I live in is called Graiguecullen, which I guess was too hard to spell so it was left out!
    If it's coming from UK 5 working days by post. Using UK MAIL daily.
    In Dublin at work. Certainly file downloads @ 100m in the company set up is great. Far better than the 8.5 at home.

You'll end up with 2 modems...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

That's great but I'm not sure this has anything to do with this thread as you are no longer a sky customer ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Oh God, that sounds very like the messing I had with Voda while trying to move from sky bb. After waiting 60 days for the modem I gave up and went with Eircom. The best thing about Eircom is the installer brings the modem with him, saves a lot of stress.. Vodafone wouldn't put me on eFibre straight away. I had to go on DSL first and then they would move me onto eFibre, a strange way of doing it I thought:confused: It didn't matter in the end the whole thing became a mess of eMails and phone calls and then cancellation by me. The feckers even had the cheek to try and charge me a cancellation fee claiming I breached the contract..... Anyway I hope none of that happens to you and everything falls into place.

Advertisement