Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The next big thing in Health and Fitness

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

cc87 wrote: »
    This is the geek in me, but I've seen some really cool stuff in wearable sensors for realtime monitoring. The basic skins/underarmour top with loads of sensors woven into the fabric without any added weight or discomfort. Gives info on breathing, sweat and heart rates among other stuff.

DCU is doing a good bit of research into it as well, I think

For the average person I really believe this is all useless sh!te.

It's just another excuse not to train hard.

Maybe if it shocked you when you were being a pussy it'd be good.

Maybe I'll make one of those.

The HTFU Shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Hanley wrote: »
    For the average person I really believe this is all useless sh!te.

It's just another excuse not to train hard.

Maybe if it shocked you when you were being a pussy it'd be good.

Maybe I'll make one of those.

The HTFU Shirt.
    Ah ya, it was at a conference for elite sport I saw it and it was research for the military that all that had to do with

At the same time, the average person is always looking for something to throw money away on

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

On the nutrition side, I reckon gut flora is about to go mainstream, new nutrients/potions and maybe even GM bacteria. More stuff "they" can sell!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Might be more of a breakthrough than a trend, but I figure that at some point someone is going to identify some other minerals / vitamins that humans gain from sunlight and package it as a food supplement and it will become a dietary staple.

Protein bonded vitamin D-3 ;) it'll be hitting the shelves soon.

@Hanlet don't be silly you know since they banned ephedrine you can't sell hard work anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Next big thing in fitness will be Jason Genova

Future Mr O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

genetic profiling and tailoring lifestyle accordingly. Price has come down hugely recently and is now as low as $100 here www.23andme.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

siochain wrote: »
    genetic profiling and tailoring lifestyle accordingly. Price has come down hugely recently and is now as low as $100 here www.23andme.com

Had a guy pitch genetic profiling to me. Thought it was a load of **** then. Still think it's fairly ****e now.

Some sort of home hormonal test kit which spits out feeding recommendations based off te results would be MEGA.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

What I think is coming, some definite and some maybes depending on what catches on first. The first one I quite like, must stop reading Tim Ferris!

Tracking of bio-markers to spot early signs of disease, cause I want to live forever, but without weird illness making it no fun.

"Tough Mudder" style boot camps, until someone has an eye out or health and safety shut them all down.
    (Like Civil Defense Fire Fighters not allowed up ladders, or scouts from NI not allowed go X feet above sea level)

Indoor cycling with turbo trainer yokes hooked up to laptops, your real time effort translating to riding a stage in Tour de France, or a downhill MTB race.

Residential "lifestyle" camps where life coaching/physical training and brain washing combine, at least a week duration on very basic rations and feck all sleep ;-)

Strongman/powerlifting type training camps

Hanley wrote: »
    Had a guy pitch genetic profiling to me. Thought it was a load of **** then. Still think it's fairly ****e now.

Some sort of home hormonal test kit which spits out feeding recommendations based off te results would be MEGA.

Have you seen one of the reports?

DNA analysis and our pre-disposition to certain health risks I would say is pretty useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Heroin being cut with creatine to bulk up junkies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

cc87 wrote: »
    Ah ya, it was at a conference for elite sport I saw it and it was research for the military that all that had to do with

At the same time, the average person is always looking for something to throw money away on
    yup look at how fanaticial golfers and triathletes are on spending money on gear yet wont address their sh1ty mobility and strength

think the tough mudder thing is the complete emperor with no clothes. Had a client who completed it last week with very little running training (mainly does crossfit) finish it 15mins ahead of anyone else in his heat yet people bang on about how extreme it is. eating right, getting stronger, proper conditioning work and not looking like an overweight out of shape runner, triathlete etc might just be the next big thing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Transform wrote: »
    yup look at how fanaticial golfers and triathletes are on spending money on gear yet wont address their sh1ty mobility and strength

think the tough mudder thing is the complete emperor with no clothes. Had a client who completed it last week with very little running training (mainly does crossfit) finish it 15mins ahead of anyone else in his heat yet people bang on about how extreme it is. eating right, getting stronger, proper conditioning work and not looking like an overweight out of shape runner, triathlete etc might just be the next big thing
    Cyclists have to be the worst offenders here. Spend an extra €2k on a bike to shave 2kg off its weight; are 20kg overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Have a mate who's working as a physio in the US. The place he works in also caters for people who have had plastic surgery (for aesthetics and for those who actually needed it). He said they have these cryo therapy classes there which just blows tiny amounts of liquid nitrogen onto the skin in order for it to heal. According to the dude who does maintenance on the machines, a lot of 'clinics' are using it on people with saggy skin and those with saggy arses.

I'm definitely in the wrong business. So much money to be made.

Sangre wrote: »
    Cyclists have to be the worst offenders here. Spend an extra €2k on a bike to shave 2kg off its weight; are 20kg overweight.

so true, laughing here to myself, during the summer a lad with a bike worth 5k telling me about his new expensive break system that so many grams lighter that the old set, this chap was at least 40% body fat. Delighted to see him out doing something but seriouly.

so true, laughing here to myself, during the summer a lad with a bike worth 5k telling me about his new expensive break system that so many grams lighter that the old set, this chap was at least 40% body fat. Delighted to see him out doing something but seriouly.

Probably had a teardrop helmet too.

I see the ACSM reckons that the next hot trend in fitness is going to be HIIT.

It'll appeal to be people who like the idea of getting a reward in less time...

I see the ACSM reckons that the next hot trend in fitness is going to be HIIT.

It'll appeal to be people who like the idea of getting a reward in less time...
    The supposed head(s) of the fitness industry and those fitness expos know fxuk all about the industry and are only ever interested in selling mass market devices or training systems trainers have been using for donkey's years

The supposed head(s) of the fitness industry and those fitness expos know fxuk all about the industry and are only ever interested in selling mass market devices or training systems trainers have been using for donkey's years

Evidently. I had to check it wasn't some story from 5+ years ago. I'll look out for the explosion in the sales of Swiss balls in 2015 so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

The next big thing- Forget Paleo diet, it'll be Paleo lifestyle. People spending weekends living as hunter gatherers. 2 days wandering over mountains in Donegal with a flint tipped spear looking for deer and nibbling nettles, you couldn't not burn fat, even if it's only by starvation.

The next big thing- Forget Paleo diet, it'll be Paleo lifestyle. People spending weekends living as hunter gatherers. 2 days wandering over mountains in Donegal with a flint tipped spear looking for deer and nibbling nettles, you couldn't not burn fat, even if it's only by starvation.

combined with tough mudder & cross fit.....

Cross Kill Donegal (going to trade mark this one)
    • let a wild boar let loose 6:00am
    • first one to catch him wins
    • on the hour every hour horn will sound and a crossfit hero wod is announced and must be performed
    • Horn will sound every hour until boar is caught

Compulsory equipment. Reebok Nano’s, Reebok short’s, Reebok T-Shirt.
    Event ends after the legendary boar BBQ or last man standing.

May the fittest cave man win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I couldnt get over how many people doing turf warrior last week in Killary had no upper body strength snd wouldn't/couldn't do the obstacles.

I don't run much at all, cycle and strength train, got around the course in 2 1/2 hours not even trying too hard, just having a laugh with mates but the number of joggers who were doing it and thought it'd be easy was ONRAIL

• Site Banned Posts: 3 Fedal

Scalp exercises and massage will be huge in tye next ten years, when people realise they can prevent baldness and grow hair back it will take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Fedal wrote: »
    Scalp exercises and massage will be huge in tye next ten years, when people realise they can prevent baldness and grow hair back it will take off.

Its been trying to get in there
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craniosacral_therapy

combined with tough mudder & cross fit.....

Cross Kill Donegal (going to trade mark this one)
    • let a wild boar let loose 6:00am
    • first one to catch him wins
    • on the hour every hour horn will sound and a crossfit hero wod is announced and must be performed
    • Horn will sound every hour until boar is caught

Compulsory equipment. Reebok Nano’s, Reebok short’s, Reebok T-Shirt.
    Event ends after the legendary boar BBQ or last man standing.

May the fittest cave man win
    sign me up if we can kill it also and more importantly eat it after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

So is trx on its way out?

sure can, drain him and straight to the BBQ.

Speaking of boar picked up a join of wild boar in Lidl's yesterday, massive turkey breast and picked up 10 packs of two sirloin steaks, steaks were at half price. RESULT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

need to stop watching First Blood

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

This is gona be huge in the summer.

http://m.imgur.com/a/ySDMi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Ye might want to put NSFW on that dude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hatfry

Ant11 wrote: »