Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The next big thing in Health and Fitness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I was at the IHRSA conference and trade show in vegas this year and normally that's where all the new stuff is showcased. The biggest buzz this year was Defo around Zumba but im not sure Irish people are self confident enough to shake their hips?!

Other than that, no motor treadmills were big and loads of functional type units like synergy 360. A few places flogging electronic 'reaction' type units where you hit targets with lights to improve reaction. Bit gimmicky IMO.

Juicing is going to be big for a few months after that programme a few weeks back. (Not juicing juicing)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Zumba has been on the go here long enough. Long enough that they're now offering vouchers for cut-price classes on the likes of Groupon anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

I can guarantee you their shape was terrible and if they tried to progress to advanced skills they wouldn't be able to.
    It's suppose it's true that hardly anyone makes it past walking for a few metres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

OSI wrote: »
    "Abs in an Angelus"

Have you ever seen it's Always Sunny in Philadelphia?
    Dennis: I don't wanna get too bulky.
    Dee: Right.
    Dennis: I wanna stay nice and lean and tight. I wanna get that Jesus on the cross look. You know what I mean?
    Dee: I see what you're saying. I think that crucifixion must have been really good for your core because...
    Dennis: Oh, absolutely. Jesus had, like, the best abs. He had the right idea. Hey, he knew: no pain, no gain.
    Dee: He had good messages.
    Dennis: I'm sure he started that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Gotta love It's Always Sunny. But aside from that, Jesus carried a cross when a cross was a cross. Not some flat-pack nonsense from Ikea. Credit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

less training, seriously ~half the world is over trained.
    24/7 stress, hr, hrv monitoring maybe even blood sugars etc. tech and fitness it a juicey revenue stream!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

hypersonic wrote: »
    less training, seriously ~half the world is over trained.
    24/7 stress, hr, hrv monitoring maybe even blood sugars etc. tech and fitness it a juicey revenue stream!

I've seen some blood lactic acid portable testing units getting marketed now, interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

I've seen some blood lactic acid portable testing units getting marketed now, interesting stuff.
    Trainers leading the fitness industry throug smart blogging and discussion as opposed to newspapers, magazines and sh1te tv shows like operation transformation acting as a guide in how to eat and train

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

They have being on the go for a good while now, just weren't marketed towards the fitness industry until recently.

I think with lots of gadgets, whose use was restricted to pro sports and research, becoming available to the public through smaller, cheaper portable versions combined with apps to do all the number crunching lots of money will be p!ssed away on them over the next few years.

I've only seen the ones aimed at elite levels but assumed they'd be coming down soon.

@Transform while I do hope it swings that way. But the barriers for entry are too low and signal to noise ratio is too high at present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

There seems to be an increase in participation in jogging these days. Loads more people are doing 5ks and 10ks. Or so it seems to me anyway. Not the next big thing I suppose as its going on now.

I see more lads taking an interest in stuff like Pilates now. Which is a really good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

brownej wrote: »
    There seems to be an increase in participation in jogging these days. Loads more people are doing 5ks and 10ks. Or so it seems to me anyway. Not the next big thing I suppose as its going on now.
    farrahandlee_full_init_.jpg
    AnchormanJogging.png

I've only seen the ones aimed at elite levels but assumed they'd be coming down soon.

@Transform while I do hope it swings that way. But the barriers for entry are too low and signal to noise ratio is too high at present.
    no dude i GUARANTEE it will happen that way.

had a chat with a few guys that will get the ball rolling on this soon

Mellor wrote: »
    Random magazine cover from the 70s and obligatory anchorman quote.

My point isn't that jogging is new its just that everyone is doing it at the moment. Compared with even 5 years ago the numbers out jogging in the evening or in the morning are much higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Its not a new thing but a trend - In Irealand anyway its going back to the old school stuff thats cheap, walking, jogging & cycling.

The year on year increase in 5k's, 10k's, tri-athlons, bi-athlons, bike and adventure races is quite impressive. Did see the figues somewhere recently will try and dig them up.

For the experienced fit heads the new stuff will be the Ido Portal style and gymnastics.

Olympic lifting is becoming fashionable.

In terms of general health mindfulness, CBT and gut health, Again these are nothing new but on an upward tread.

Transform wrote: »
    no dude i GUARANTEE it will happen that way.

had a chat with a few guys that will get the ball rolling on this soon

I need to buy you lunch at some point and pick your brains.

siochain wrote: »
    The year on year increase in 5k's, 10k's, tri-athlons, bi-athlons, bike and adventure races is quite impressive. Did see the figues somewhere recently will try and dig them up.

For the experienced fit heads the new stuff will be the Ido Portal style and gymnastics.

Olympic lifting is becoming fashionable.

In terms of general health mindfulness, CBT and [gut health, Again these are nothing new but on an upward tread.

Not sure on the 10k side of things but the growth in adventure races has been immense in the uk it went from 2 to 20 in one year and growing whether it'll burn itself out is something different.

CBT will be the new nlp I'm already seeing some places offering weekend courses in it, grim.

My prediction is gut health and intestinal parasites will be the next gluten intolerance. Some of the "leading lights" of the fitness scene are talking about them in their nutrition seminars now so it'll take a bit to filter down. I can almost guarantee you won't hear any of the positive sides to intestinal parasites though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Transform wrote: »
    Trainers leading the fitness industry throug smart blogging and discussion as opposed to newspapers, magazines and sh1te tv shows like operation transformation acting as a guide in how to eat and train

How would this work?

For every informative blogger/YouTube channel, there is 5 others parroting the same "got to have oats and egg whites brah as the first of your 6 meals"

How would this work?

For every informative blogger/YouTube channel, there is 5 others parroting the same "got to have oats and egg whites brah as the first of your 6 meals"
    It will work fine just wait and see.

Good info done right with the right people will always win out and in this day and age it just happens faster.

Will keep you all posted

If you check the recent posts the start of my predictions has begun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

Soon there will be more Personal Trainers then people to train with the way they are being churned out atm!

Life coaching is next.

ferike1 wrote: »
    Soon there will be more Personal Trainers then people to train with the way they are being churned out atm!

Life coaching is next.

Is life coaching on the way back in?
    A work colleague of mine left her job 6 or 7 years ago to be a life coach. Then the Great Recession happened and that was the end of that.
    We must be over the recession if its making a comeback.

No its just more failed life coaches are setting up schools/course in life coaching with the same promise of riches most exercise course use. Do a weekend course become a life coach. Most life coaches should just write a list of decision they've made during their life that lead them to becoming a life coach and then give it to their clients so if they come to any of the same decisions they can choose the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭vigos

How about companies like wellnessfx and other companies which are going to allow cheaper/more frequent very detailed diagnosis of your own biomarkers? You could get quicker feedback on how changes to training/diet are working out for the individual rather than doing it blind? Seems to be a few companies setup in the US but has yet to start up over this side of the Atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 36,219 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Might be more of a breakthrough than a trend, but I figure that at some point someone is going to identify some other minerals / vitamins that humans gain from sunlight and package it as a food supplement and it will become a dietary staple.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Haven't seen it mentioned but I hear open water swimming is becoming hip. Kinda of a 10k ---> triathlon ---> open water swimming, type of transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

To Hell and Back, Tough Mudder and those type of runs are getting really popular these days. Even my friends with no real interest in fitness have done or plan to do one.

A friend of mine is big into this Quantified Self thing. It revolves around the idea that the act of measuring something will (indirectly) lead you to improve your performance in that thing. Basically they hook up sensors with wearable computers and record automatically 24/7. Often this info gets crunched down and posted to some blog or somethign automatically as well.

So far I think they limit themselves to mainly motion detectors/pedometers, but I think they'd use any kind of portable, robust sensor they could get their hands on.

I keep seeing the motion sensor armbands pop up, and I know a lot of the fitness apps have automatic logging on them now, so who knows how far it will go. Personally I don't like it as I think you're basically electronically bugging yourself, but then who other than me world be interested in what my sleep patterns look like?

I also noticed an increase in the amount of people doing marathons/triathlons/Tough Mudder/etc, but I put that down to all my friends reaching their early thirties where people start getting weird ideas like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

A friend of mine is big into this Quantified Self thing. It revolves around the idea that the act of measuring something will (indirectly) lead you to improve your performance in that thing. Basically they hook up sensors with wearable computers and record automatically 24/7. Often this info gets crunched down and posted to some blog or somethign automatically as well.

So far I think they limit themselves to mainly motion detectors/pedometers, but I think they'd use any kind of portable, robust sensor they could get their hands on.

I keep seeing the motion sensor armbands pop up, and I know a lot of the fitness apps have automatic logging on them now, so who knows how far it will go. Personally I don't like it as I think you're basically electronically bugging yourself, but then who other than me world be interested in what my sleep patterns look like?

This is the geek in me, but I've seen some really cool stuff in wearable sensors for realtime monitoring. The basic skins/underarmour top with loads of sensors woven into the fabric without any added weight or discomfort. Gives info on breathing, sweat and heart rates among other stuff.

DCU is doing a good bit of research into it as well, I think

Advertisement