Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The next big thing in Health and Fitness

Options
  • 06-11-2013 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

So I normally quite good at spotting these trends but I'm stumped as to what is going to be the next big thing. While we're still in the thrall of the paleo diet anyone got any feelings as to what will follow.

I'm tending towards self diagnosis of parasites and fungal infections.

Anyone got any other guesses?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Ido Portal/MovNat/Flow style stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Hanley wrote: »

I find all this funny as its the sh!t that has been going on in the circus and dance world for the last 15 years so I have trouble taking it serious for some reason.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I find all this funny as its the sh!t that has been going on in the circus and dance world for the last 15 years so I have trouble taking it serious for some reason.

As had strength training and clean eating in BB/PL/WL.

There's **** all new on the exercise side of things.

If I have anything to do wit it, the next big thing will be mental coaching. Understanding the whys of what you do, so it's no longer a battle against your own will power. It'll be about accepting who you are, why you do what you do, and working around that.

If I have anything to do wit it, the next big thing will be mental coaching. Understanding the whys of what you do, so it's no longer a battle against your own will power. It'll be about accepting who you are, why you do what you do, and working around that.

Well ahead of you on that one, been devouring anything I can find on embodiment, have gotten some amazing results with just some mild applications of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

It's circular. NLP is the new NLP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Don't do machines - use a bar-bell was already a thing when I started strenght training over five years ago, but it's only been recently enough that I've noticed that the machines section of regular gyms are getting a bit dusty, while the free-weights areas are jam packed.

The handstand crowd are definitely knocking around, and I think they are picking up a bit of momentum, but again I think it will be years and years before it becomes really mainstream. It was weird enough to suddenly find the squat racks full of people actually doing squats, but it's going to be bloody bizarre if it gets to the stage where you can't move for people doing planches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

It was weird enough to suddenly find the squat racks full of personal trainers actually doing squats, but it's going to be bloody bizarre if it gets to the stage where you can't move for personal trainers doing planches.

FYP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭dragonkin

I think most people can squat with a bit of mobility work... handstands require properly functioning shoulders and good thoracic mobility which rules out most people.

FYP :D

Sorry to be dense here, but...

Is the joke that everyone these days is walking around with a copy of Supple Leopard tucked under their arm, thinking they're a personal trainer - or are you saying that it's just the personal trainers who are squatting?

If it's the latter, then I have to say I don't think this is the case. I switched gyms recently because there wasn't enough space in the free weights area any more, and this was after they got two extra power cages.

dragonkin wrote: »
    I think most people can squat with a bit of mobility work... handstands require properly functioning shoulders and good thoracic mobility which rules out most people.

So basically, with a bit of mobility work they could do hand stands.

• Advertisement

So basically, with a bit of mobility work they could do hand stands.

Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I am being a smartarse :). Everyone seems to be a personal trainer, nutritionist, mental health coach, physiologist these days.

Everyone seems to be a personal trainer, nutritionist, mental health coach, physiologist these days.
    Yeah, I often have to remind myself I'm not one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,565 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Sorry to be dense here, but...

Is the joke that everyone these days is walking around with a copy of Supple Leopard tucked under their arm, thinking they're a personal trainer
    A copy of Supple Leopard? Access to Google, more like.

My favourite is the personal trainer / life coach. Nothing finer then someone sleeping in the gym or couch surfing while trying to get people to pay them for life advice.

Nah in order to do handstands In my experience it requiresire than a bit of mobility work. It requires functional shoulders on top of functional core I'd say the vast majority of people don't have these esp a lot of gym goers who neglect their backs and tend to use their body badly. Not something that you pick up overnight either it's really more about relearning how to use your body properly, foam rolling will loosen up tight tissues and helps but functional movement is more difficult and really comes from a life time of movement not desk sitting or repetitive movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I think Spinning will be the next big phase. I've recently done a few classes and it is a great excersie

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I think Spinning will be the next big phase. I've recently done a few classes and it is a great excersie

You might be onto something! Wait until it's 2010 and you tell people you told them so!

Nah in order to do handstands In my experience it requiresire than a bit of mobility work. It requires functional shoulders on top of functional core I'd say the vast majority of people don't have these esp a lot of gym goers who neglect their backs and tend to use their body badly. Not something that you pick up overnight either it's really more about relearning how to use your body properly, foam rolling will loosen up tight tissues and helps but functional movement is more difficult and really comes from a life time of movement not desk sitting or repetitive movement.

So it requires Crossfit?

I could say almost the same things about squatting.

I think the standard has gotten better these days, but my god, a few years ago and most of the people you would see trying to squat were destroying themselves. Actually, it's still the case that most people - even active ones - probably can't drop into an ATG squat and hang out there for more than 3 seconds without falling over.

People right now are pretty bad at doing handstands, but this is because they don't do handstands. If people start practising them they will get better at them. They'll probably need to do some assistance work and progress through easier exercises first, but they'll get there eventually.

• Advertisement

So it requires Crossfit?

Haha it's just a word crossfit doesn't own it. It gets the point across. If you can do 12 pull ups in a row I'd say your shoulders are 'functional'.

I could say almost the same things about squatting.

I think the standard has gotten better these days, but my god, a few years ago and most of the people you would see trying to squat were destroying themselves.

People right now are pretty bad at doing handstands, but this is because they don't do handstands. If people start practising them they will get better at them. They'll probably need to do some assistance work and progress through easier exercises first, but they'll get there eventually.

I agree just thing the time and work involved is much greater and the mobility issues are not as easily addressed so not sure it will become mainstream. where there is a will there is a way tho.

[QUOTE=Doug Cartel;87375456

People right now are pretty bad at doing handstands, but this is because they don't do handstands. If people start practising them they will get better at them. They'll probably need to do some assistance work and progress through easier exercises first, but they'll get there eventually.[/QUOTE]

The problem with handstands is it takes a long time regardless of how you train them and there's no break throughs along the way so it can be really off putting. In the progressions I use it takes me about 8 months on average to get someone from no handstand to 45-1min free standing with training handstand 4 times a week as seperate sessions.

The problem with handstands is it takes a long time regardless of how you train them and there's no break throughs along the way so it can be really off putting. In the progressions I use it takes me about 8 months on average to get someone from no handstand to 45-1min free standing with training handstand 4 times a week as seperate sessions.

I don't know about this. Handstands and handstand walks are a part of old-school judo training. My current coach doesn't have us do them, so I can't remember how quickly people progress, but from what I remember, lots of people can get to the stage where they can stand, pause, take three steps and then drop into a roll after a month or two of training.

Lots of people don't pick it up though, and few get much further than this. I know it's quite short of holding a static handstand for a minute, but it's enough that people think "hey I can do a handstand", and they have fun doing it.

I don't know about this. Handstands and handstand walks are a part of old-school judo training. My current coach doesn't have us do them, so I can't remember how quickly people progress, but from what I remember, lots of people can get to the stage where they can stand, pause, take three steps and then drop into a roll after a month or two of training.

I can guarantee you their shape was terrible and if they tried to progress to advanced skills they wouldn't be able to. I can get some one who can do a forward roll to do handstand forward roll after about 20 mins of training the gulf from there to holding a straight hand stand with out moving hands is massive.

I'm not trying to be disparaging but handstands and other skills are just a bit of a different beast then say squatting, where if your taught to squat right essentially you'll be doing the same squat for the rest of your training career with minor tweaks here and there and with just the load increasing. Where as with a lot of these things you're going to spend months just working on prep skills that are boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

3min abs

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

3min abs

Screw that noise.

2 min abs

OSI wrote: »
    "Abs in an Angelus"

Body of christ. Oh which reminds me Christian yoga is a thing where they renamed all the poses after christian stuff and got rid of the devil infused eastern influences.

Body of christ. Oh which reminds me Christian yoga is a thing where they renamed all the poses after christian stuff and got rid of the devil infused eastern influences.

Makes sense. CrossFit is so called because of the sacrifice Jesus made for mankind.

• Advertisement

One quick googling and you're right

jesus-says-meme-generator-jesus-says-go-to-crossfit-cad3ce.jpg

Advertisement