Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2013-2014 Off-season - Pre-season

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,328 ✭✭✭✭8-10

To each their own, in a division that isnt going to be won by much defence could be a big key. Bogaerts will improve as he settles in to big league life and he has terrific upside. Its a really good division though on paper at least!

I see it as having more wins than any other division

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

woes continue.......Reds have announced that Broxton and Marshall will both start the season on the DL....that makes the 3 best relievers and their top starter out for the start of the season

Look on the bright side, they visit the Mets in the second series of the season! They won't need too much pitching to blow them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Look on the bright side, they visit the Mets in the second series of the season! They won't need too much pitching to blow them away.

They may have it easy against the Mets, but they also have 6 games against the Cardinal and 7 against the Pirates in April.....add in series against the Braves and Rays......in reality, apart from the Mets (sorry Mets), every april series they have is against a playoff contender.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

I havent got round to a deep in depth look at the Red Sox yet( they are on the to do list) but Bogaerts is down as their starting SS right? His defence is definitely not at the same level as Drew's , cant read too much into it but his hitting in ST has been poor. With the red sox in a division that could be very very competitive I'm not sure the Sox are doing the right thing regarding Drew. I might be proven wrong over time but I think it would have made sense to bring him back.

I actually think the Red Sox will struggle in this division.

Pretty much everyone of those stats based predictors is saying they'll finish first or second in the division. They've got more depth than pretty much any team in baseball.

Xander is not focusing on his hitting in ST (according to all accounts), and his defense is predicted to be well above average.

Go have a look - no one at all is expecting them to struggle this year. In fact aside from a couple of pieces they're the same team that won it all last year.

Not worried at all. :)

8-10 wrote: »
    I'm much happier with Bogaerts as everyday SS than Drew tbh

Me too. He's a much better natural athlete than SD I think.

• Advertisement

Reds utility player, Skip Schumacker, taken off field with arm immobilized by trainers after landing awkwardly trying to field ground ball.......

**face-palm**

Reds utility player, Skip Schumacker, taken off field with arm immobilized by trainers after landing awkwardly trying to field ground ball.......

**face-palm**

Dislocated shoulder....out until May

Bartolo Colon playing today with no DH. I just hope he puts one in play so we can see him try and run down to first base.

EDIT _ Dammit, not on MLB.TV

EDIT 2 - From Twitter, "Colon just stared at three pitches, smiled and laughed in the process"

EDIT 3 - He hits an RBI and the crowd goes nuts and he gets a standing ovation. Probably more because he made it to first base as opposed to scoring a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Pretty much everyone of those stats based predictors is saying they'll finish first or second in the division. They've got more depth than pretty much any team in baseball.

Xander is not focusing on his hitting in ST (according to all accounts), and his defense is predicted to be well above average.

Go have a look - no one at all is expecting them to struggle this year. In fact aside from a couple of pieces they're the same team that won it all last year.

Not worried at all. :)

Good for you.

I am a Nationals fan, I'm optimistic but wary.

As a gambler I look at the Red Sox as a team that will struggle its just the projections I have for them. One of us will be right at the end of the year! We can have a gentleman's bet on it say a pint? You can buy it for me after the Nats win the WS! :-)

Good for you.

I am a Nationals fan, I'm optimistic but wary.

As a gambler I look at the Red Sox as a team that will struggle its just the projections I have for them. One of us will be right at the end of the year! We can have a gentleman's bet on it say a pint? You can buy it for me after the Nats win the WS! :-)

Ha! :)

Sorry, but as a rule I never gamble. But I appreciate your optimism re: the Nats! ;)

• Advertisement

Nats are clear favourites for the NL East and should win it easily now that the Braves have some pitching issues.

Winning in the Playoffs always requires a bit of luck as well and anything can happen but I have the Nats as my favourites to win it all (it cost me money picking them last year but there's no way they can get off to a start like last year).

Must be nearly time for the predictions thread.....

Nats are clear favourites for the NL East and should win it easily now that the Braves have some pitching issues.

Winning in the Playoffs always requires a bit of luck as well and anything can happen but I have the Nats as my favourites to win it all (it cost me money picking them last year but there's no way they can get off to a start like last year).

A predictions thread would be fun, just so we can remind each other about how wrong we were! :D:D:D

A predictions thread would be fun, just so we can remind each other about how wrong we were! :D:D:D

They always end badly for me anyway. Some of the divisions are probably easy to predict but where do you start trying to pick a winner in the AL East for example? And so many teams have lost important players, I have no idea of how good/bad some teams are going to be.

They always end badly for me anyway. Some of the divisions are probably easy to predict but where do you start trying to pick a winner in the AL East for example? And so many teams have lost important players, I have no idea of how good/bad some teams are going to be.

I have all my bets placed and all my win lines and division standings ready for whenever we post up predictions. I'll actually start my log this week in Gambling forum and will include the season-long bets, already have 750pts in play!

My big ones are:

St Louis OVER 91.5 wins
    Cleveland OVER 80.5
    Phillies UNDER 77.5
    San Diego UNDER 78.5
    Washington OVER 89.5
    Washington to win NL East (10/11!)

Last year I had 23 out of 30 win lines correct, even matching that would be great.

I agree with you and like 8-10 said the AL East may have the highest win total per division really tough to call but I am starting to really like the Rays. I had a softspot for the bluejays but not sure they can compete with the aformentioned.

Injuries and trades have yet to really balance out and we wont know until a couple of weeks into the season I think.

I agree with you and like 8-10 said the AL East may have the highest win total per division really tough to call but I am starting to really like the Rays. I had a softspot for the bluejays but not sure they can compete with the aformentioned.

Injuries and trades have yet to really balance out and we wont know until a couple of weeks into the season I think.

I found the Yankees the toughest to predict there. So much has happened in the offseason

8-10 wrote: »
    I found the Yankees the toughest to predict there. So much has happened in the offseason

Even with everything that has happened the Yankees look like a rebuild season. Old SS, No 3b No 2b, Texiera unknown at 1st if he can produce or stay fit. They have improved at catcher and outfield , their pitching roster is potentially better and the closer again has potential but can this roster win 90 games.. I think not.

That is until you remember that this is Jeter's last year. Special players usually end up with Special last season. They couldnt do it for Rivera last year, could they make up for that with a golden farewell for Mr October? Maybe.. but the Division is so tough I think that its probably just an impossible dream.

Even with everything that has happened the Yankees look like a rebuild season. Old SS, No 3b No 2b, Texiera unknown at 1st if he can produce or stay fit. They have improved at catcher and outfield , their pitching roster is potentially better and the closer again has potential but can this roster win 90 games.. I think not.

That is until you remember that this is Jeter's last year. Special players usually end up with Special last season. They couldnt do it for Rivera last year, could they make up for that with a golden farewell for Mr October? Maybe.. but the Division is so tough I think that its probably just an impossible dream.

I ended up putting them on 85 wins. I think that's the ceiling of what they'll get so I went high because of all the unknowns. It's still under the quoted line of 87 wins so I'm ok with that.

Paddy Power have 4 Derek Jeter-specific markets (how many hits, runs, HR's, RBI's I think), I'm under on all of them. He'll have a decent season but the numbers they're quoting seem crazy.

And that's the last gambling post I'll make here, I'll set up a log over yonder. :)

I'd be very surprised if they went all the way. So much of that playoff "luck" is often just depth and experience and other actual tangibles that combine into something that seems mysterious. But isn't really.

The Nats might get further than last year but go all the way? Sheer optimism ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Will I set up a predicitions thread?

• Advertisement

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if they went all the way. So much of that playoff "luck" is often just depth and experience and other actual tangibles that combine into something that seems mysterious. But isn't really.

The Nats might get further than last year but go all the way? Sheer optimism ;)

As I'm not a Nats fan but a fan of a team in their division, it's actually pessimism as opposed to optimism on my front.

As I'm not a Nats fan but a fan of a team in their division, it's actually pessimism as opposed to optimism on my front.

Hahahaha! Ah c'mon man!

This the sort of negativity that gambling leads too ;)

I'm the Nats fan here and its not blind optimism, the team is deep and the rotation is among the best in baseball.

Jack I know as a Mets fan your naturally pessimistic ;) but I actually think your team is not all that bad this year and will improve to compete next season depending on what happens in Atlanta.

Bailey - Opening day possible
    Cueto - Opening day possible
    Latos - Late April
    Broxton - Late April
    Marshall - Late April
    Chapman - Mid/Late May
    Schumaker - Late May
    Mesoraco - Early May

Starting to not look forward to opening day.......

I'm the Nats fan here and its not blind optimism, the team is deep and the rotation is among the best in baseball.

Jack I know as a Mets fan your naturally pessimistic ;) but I actually think your team is not all that bad this year and will improve to compete next season depending on what happens in Atlanta.

Very deep rotation at Washington. I was watching a game during the week (I know, I know, only Spring Training) but the bloke Roark was pitching and looked great. And he's looking to be the Number 5? Like a lot of team, it all comes down to 'ifs' but if the Nationals can get any sort of offence going, they'll be very hard to beat. And having said that, they do have a grew line up with some great hitters so they're my pick to win the NL.

As for my Mets, yes they are getting better but they're still a year or two away from competing but if they can keep their young pitchers healthy (including the ones in Las Vegas), the future does look bright.

Very deep rotation at Washington. I was watching a game during the week (I know, I know, only Spring Training) but the bloke Roark was pitching and looked great. And he's looking to be the Number 5? Like a lot of team, it all comes down to 'ifs' but if the Nationals can get any sort of offence going, they'll be very hard to beat. And having said that, they do have a grew line up with some great hitters so they're my pick to win the NL.

As for my Mets, yes they are getting better but they're still a year or two away from competing but if they can keep their young pitchers healthy (including the ones in Las Vegas), the future does look bright.

I dont think Roark makes the rotation at the moment I think Strasbourg, Fister, Gio, Zimmerman and Jordan talk of going to a 6 with Roark is a little premature but its a nice headache at the moment!

Your right the Mets might be a year or two away but with Atlanta's pitching falling apart the Mets could surprise this year

Bailey - Opening day possible
    Cueto - Opening day possible
    Latos - Late April
    Broxton - Late April
    Marshall - Late April
    Chapman - Mid/Late May
    Schumaker - Late May
    Mesoraco - Early May

Starting to not look forward to opening day.......

They still should be strong enough to play in or around .500 ball until May and if so, they can then make their push. They were probably gonna finish behind St. Louis anyway so a wild card would still be very possible

They still should be strong enough to play in or around .500 ball until May and if so, they can then make their push. They were probably gonna finish behind St. Louis anyway so a wild card would still be very possible

Going to be tough hang in there until their pitching gets healthy with Pirates and St Louis in there thats going to be really tough.

Going to be tough hang in there until their pitching gets healthy with Pirates and St Louis in there thats going to be really tough.

Cardinals, Pirates, Braves and Rays all with 4 starting pitchers and no back-end to the bullpen....i think they'll be lucky to play .400 in April

• Advertisement

Cardinals, Pirates, Braves and Rays all with 4 starting pitchers and no back-end to the bullpen....i think they'll be lucky to play .400 in April

I would agree with you there. Really tough start.

Advertisement