Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MLB: 2013-2014 Off-season - Pre-season

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Something we were talking about last week happened in a games yesterday (umpire getting hit with ball)

http://nesn.com/2014/03/umpire-goes-down-hard-after-taking-line-drive-to-groin-video/

In the box score it says "Brandon Phillips singles on a line drive to shortstop Mike Aviles. Devin Mesoraco to 3rd. Roger Bernadina to 2nd.". Nothing about umpire getting hit in the nads though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Something we were talking about last week happened in a games yesterday (umpire getting hit with ball)

http://nesn.com/2014/03/umpire-goes-down-hard-after-taking-line-drive-to-groin-video/

In the box score it says "Brandon Phillips singles on a line drive to shortstop Mike Aviles. Devin Mesoraco to 3rd. Roger Bernadina to 2nd.". Nothing about umpire getting hit in the nads though!

I was watching it live and it still hurts me to think about it now..........it also lead to one of the easiest review calls we'll see....after the ump left the game they were short so didn't have an ump at 3rd base, Phillips was called out on a steal attempt at 3rd (called by ump between 2nd and 3rd).....phillips and the basecoach both immediately signalled to Price to challenge the call and it was overturned within a few seconds.

This video has got me into mood for 'real' baseball. Can't wait for saturday morning now.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v31565453/sydney-cricket-ground-gets-a-baseball-makeover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Here's hoping that there is no lasting damage done to Chapam here.
    Still can't believe the force he would have taken in the face and to stay conscious

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article/cin/reds-pitcher-aroldis-chapman-carried-off-on-stretcher-after-getting-hit-in-head?ymd=20140319&content_id=69669716

Here's hoping that there is no lasting damage done to Chapam here.
    Still can't believe the force he would have taken in the face and to stay conscious

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article/cin/reds-pitcher-aroldis-chapman-carried-off-on-stretcher-after-getting-hit-in-head?ymd=20140319&content_id=69669716

Bryan Price is holding a team meeting at 9am local time (4pm irish) and will address media afterwards.

• Advertisement

Umpire in the groin, Chapman in the head. Looks like Cincinnati games are becoming quite dangerous ones to be involved in!

I love watching Chapman pitch, hopefully no long term affects.

Update from the Reds.....Chapman was conscious and moving the whole time, was awake and joking with catcher Bryan Pena this morning, and is expected to make a full recovery although they did not mention any specific timeframe.

Further update: Chapman will have surgery and have a plate inserted permanently.....expected to be out 6-8 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭The Reservoir Dubs Anchorman

Update from the Reds.....Chapman was conscious and moving the whole time, was awake and joking with catcher Bryan Pena this morning, and is expected to make a full recovery although they did not mention any specific timeframe.

Further update: Chapman will have surgery and have a plate inserted permanently.....expected to be out 6-8 weeks

Bad for the reds, horrific for my fantasy team! :D

Glad he is ok. Looked really bad at the time.

Bad for the reds, horrific for my fantasy team! :D

Glad he is ok. Looked really bad at the time.

Good news for the Reds is that they have Broxton and Marshall who could be closers on most teams......they'll just bump everyone up a spot.....as for fantasy, Chapman is one of the few Reds players that I didn't draft.....though I did take LeCure, who'll see plenty of action anyway.

Good that he's ok and will be back on the mound. If you're interested you should google Brandon McCarthy and see how getting hit on the head affected him. I don't have any links but I remember some fascinating articles on his comeback and how he got over it mentally. I know his injury was a lot worse than Chapman's but I'm sure it still scared the crap out of him and there will be a mental hurdle to overcome the next time he pitches.

• Advertisement

More good news from the team docter......Chapman (apart from the broken bone) only suffered a mild-concussion, scans and other test have found no other damage to the brain or eye.

Bailey-hurt, Latos-hurt, Cueto-hurt, Chapman-hurt........rough couple of days for the reds

Hey guys - There has a lot been talked about the Cubs and their prospects.

One is Javier Baez. He probably (most definitely) won't be in the opening day roster.

People say it is for money reasons (both in this cubs case and generally amongst all teams). Maybe a stupid question, but do you have to offer a new contract to a player once you call him up? What happens if he goes back down?

Hey guys - There has a lot been talked about the Cubs and their prospects.

One is Javier Baez. He probably (most definitely) won't be in the opening day roster.

People say it is for money reasons (both in this cubs case and generally amongst all teams). Maybe a stupid question, but do you have to offer a new contract to a player once you call him up? What happens if he goes back down?

There's multiple reasons......once they are called up for the first time, they are generally given the standard rookie contract, and the countdown immediately starts to arbitration (where they can get a salary increase) and to free agency.

There is also the issue of what's know as "options", every contract has a set number of times that a player can be sent back down to the minors (which is why you hear the phrase "player was optioned to AAA".....once a team uses all of their options in a players contract, that player is placed on waivers and can be claimed by other teams before they can send him down again.

The combination of these 2 contract issues mean that teams will not bring up a prospect until he is close to being fully developed in the minors, unless they are desperately in need of a player. Even in the case of injuries to position players, you'll see clubs sign a free agent instead of calling up their prospects too early.

Cheers Ollie - Thanks!

Jose Iglasias done for the year? Tigers are indicating it anyway!

MLB.com: no "weight-bearing" activities for 4-6 months.

Signing Stephen Drew would not only cost loads financially, but also a draft pick (1st round?)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

yeah I'm pretty sure they'd be giving up a first round pick and dropping about $9m on a one year deal for Drew. They do kind of need to win now though I would have thought. Apparently they're not overly interested and the Mets look more likely to sign him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Wouldn't rule them out trading for Didi Gregorius. Good replacement defensively for Iglesias

There's multiple reasons......once they are called up for the first time, they are generally given the standard rookie contract, and the countdown immediately starts to arbitration (where they can get a salary increase) and to free agency.

There is also the issue of what's know as "options", every contract has a set number of times that a player can be sent back down to the minors (which is why you hear the phrase "player was optioned to AAA".....once a team uses all of their options in a players contract, that player is placed on waivers and can be claimed by other teams before they can send him down again.

The combination of these 2 contract issues mean that teams will not bring up a prospect until he is close to being fully developed in the minors, unless they are desperately in need of a player. Even in the case of injuries to position players, you'll see clubs sign a free agent instead of calling up their prospects too early.

Just to add one thing to this, the option relate to years not the number of times you get demoted/promoted. You can be moved up and down a number of times in a season but it only counts as one of your options. I think it is 4 years with options (but it could be 5, not 100% sure)

It's all part of the CBA so it's the same for every player. It's not like player A gets a contract with 4 years of options and player B gets 3.

And following on from what Ollie says, You will very rarely if ever see a rookie play in the first couple of weeks in April, as if he spend a few weeks in the minors he doesn't get credited with a full years service so the team can keep him under contract for an additional year. Even players like Harper, Trout and Strasburg weren't brought up until this time has passed.

If they delay the promotion until sometime in June (I think) they also avoid them becoming eligible for Super 2 arbitration which doesn't mean they'll stay with the club any longer but does mean they can pay them less for longer.

Bailey-hurt, Latos-hurt, Cueto-hurt, Chapman-hurt........rough couple of days for the reds

Weren't you saying a couple of weeks ago that the Reds weren't concerned about losing a year of service for that pitcher Stephenson and that he could fill in a couple of starts? Is he still an option if a start is needed early in the season due to injuries?

• Advertisement

Weren't you saying a couple of weeks ago that the Reds weren't concerned about losing a year of service for that pitcher Stephenson and that he could fill in a couple of starts? Is he still an option if a start is needed early in the season due to injuries?

He was sent to minors camp a couple of weeks ago. He is still considered an option, but Alfredo Simon and Jeff Francis have impressed working as starters so far this spring so they won't be pressed into using Stephenson. Latos just started his first game, so is expected to be ready by mid to late April, they've also stretched out Simon's and Francis' innings so they can spot start.

Bailey and Cueto were scratched from starts this week, Bailey as a precaution due to a groin strain, and Cueto suffering from some random "Cueto injury".......neither are expected to miss the start of the season.

The opening day rotation is still expected to be Bailey, Cueto, Leake, Cingrani + Simon/Francis covering until Latos returns.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

The sox look pretty smart now in regards to Drew.

C'mon regular season!!

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    The sox look pretty smart now in regards to Drew.

Or Drew is an idiot for turning down their qualifying offer.

I know Boras has a habit of getting big paydays for his players at the last minute so he might rescue the situation yet (either now or mid season) but at the moment it looks like his bluff has been called this time. The Tigers and Mets might still bite though.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Or Drew is an idiot for turning down their qualifying offer.

I know Boras has a habit of getting big paydays for his players at the last minute so he might rescue the situation yet (either now or mid season) but at the moment it looks like his bluff has been called this time. The Tigers and Mets might still bite though.

I think the Sox knew his value and and their own depth and refused to overpay... in context...

Drew thought he was worth more, and sure he may be to another team, but not the Sox... it also goes to show that - even with a ring - a purely defensive shortstop isn't worth a lot in 2014...

woes continue.......Reds have announced that Broxton and Marshall will both start the season on the DL....that makes the 3 best relievers and their top starter out for the start of the season

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    I think the Sox knew his value and and their own depth and refused to overpay... in context...

Drew thought he was worth more, and sure he may be to another team, but not the Sox... it also goes to show that - even with a ring - a purely defensive shortstop isn't worth a lot in 2014...

I havent got round to a deep in depth look at the Red Sox yet( they are on the to do list) but Bogaerts is down as their starting SS right? His defence is definitely not at the same level as Drew's , cant read too much into it but his hitting in ST has been poor. With the red sox in a division that could be very very competitive I'm not sure the Sox are doing the right thing regarding Drew. I might be proven wrong over time but I think it would have made sense to bring him back.

I actually think the Red Sox will struggle in this division.

woes continue.......Reds have announced that Broxton and Marshall will both start the season on the DL....that makes the 3 best relievers and their top starter out for the start of the season

You couldnt make it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭8-10

I havent got round to a deep in depth look at the Red Sox yet( they are on the to do list) but Bogaerts is down as their starting SS right? His defence is definitely not at the same level as Drew's , cant read too much into it but his hitting in ST has been poor. With the red sox in a division that could be very very competitive I'm not sure the Sox are doing the right thing regarding Drew. I might be proven wrong over time but I think it would have made sense to bring him back.

I actually think the Red Sox will struggle in this division.

I'm much happier with Bogaerts as everyday SS than Drew tbh

You couldnt make it up!

I think it's the ghost of Dusty Baker......or Bronson Arroyo

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    I'm much happier with Bogaerts as everyday SS than Drew tbh

To each their own, in a division that isnt going to be won by much defence could be a big key. Bogaerts will improve as he settles in to big league life and he has terrific upside. Its a really good division though on paper at least!

Advertisement