Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    perhaps even sacrificing second place to the WiiU, which will depend on the strategies employed this year by Nintendo to generate markets are again.

OTR chats with certain folk point at a massive push to be "everyone's second console"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

RasTa wrote: »
    Not 60 fps? order cancelled!

The Order 1886

your being sarcastic?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

COYVB wrote: »
    OTR chats with certain folk point at a massive push to be "everyone's second console"

I hope Microsoft aren't thinking that because the wiiu is a far better candidate. I don't see the One having much to differentiate it from the ps4 and a lot of its 'exclusives' will be on PC lie with the 360

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So, a Christmas '14 when a cheap WiiU and a PS4 with a decent, varied software library, could they be the magic combo?
    Could the Xbox One find itself out in the cold?
    Again, I think it all lies with what Nintendo and MS have to show at the E3.
    Certainly, I don't think many, outside of enthusiasts like ourselves, are going to buy a PS4 and an Xbox One.
    Too much of MS' rhetoric now sounds like Segas "Blast Processing" of old, the notion that there'll be a performance jump if the Kinect is deactivated, it's a stretch, certainly a capable SDK may be the answer.
    I remember the PS, back in the mid 90's.
    1st party stuff looked stunning, as did Sonys preferred partners, the likes of Psygnosis before it was brought into Sony proper, they had access to the best dev kits, while other developers produced a lot of dross, not to long after the overall quality of software took a leap as everyone got hold of the proper development tools, and then the 1st party games got another boost with the Performance Analyser, which I think was first used on Porsche Challenge, or was it Rapid Racer, anyway they managed to get things out of the PS that the machine had no right to do!
    Just compare early stuff like Wipeout, Destruction Derby or Loaded with later titles like Need for Speed Road Challenge, Einhander or Gran Turismo 2.
    I mention the above because, hopefully, the same will be true for the Xbox One.
    But then...
    It could go the way of the Saturn, a great machine but no one except the 1st party devs could develop on it, everyone else made substandard ports of PS/PC titles, at least where 3D games were concerned, right up to the end.
    That may be an outrageous over generalisation, I'll let Retr0 correct me there, but you know what I mean.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jackthetrader

What price is WiiU ?
    Did they have a price drop

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,896 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If the Xbox one had as many amazing ports of stone cold arcade classics as the Saturn had I'd buy one today. Somehow I doubt that is going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I don't think I'd go for a WiiU over an Xbox One as a second console, right now. Not that I'd buy either right now, but I'd have more faith in the Xbox One coming out with more exclusives that would interest me in the next year than the Wii U. Looking at Metacritic as a crude guide to the best Wii U exclusives, and there are a few in there that I'd be interested me, but probably not enough to justify getting one. €270 ain't bad, though.

I guess the PS3 is my other console for now. 360 might be for Titanfall if it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Lads for anyone with a ps4,what has it got over a ps3 apart from better graphics?

Lads for anyone with a ps4,what has it got over a ps3 apart from better graphics?

A few games you can't get on PS3 with more to come, better joypad and an interface that is like a dream compared to PS3. Not as massive leap, this early. Not as massive a leap as it should have been.

I only got one to play the exclusives on while the PS3 dies out. It'll be my preferred console and the price won't drop for a while, so I just went ahead and got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

800px-Resogun_logo.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Grayditch wrote: »
    A few games you can't get on PS3 with more to come, better joypad and an interface that is like a dream compared to PS3. Not as massive leap, this early. Not as massive a leap as it should have been.

I only got one to play the exclusives on while the PS3 dies out. It'll be my preferred console and the price won't drop for a while, so I just went ahead and got it.

Download speeds have vastly improved as well, everything is lightning quick now compared to what it used to be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The WiiU premium pack is €224.99 in Smyths.
    That's the pack including Nintendoland.
    And worth every penny!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

And worth every penny!

At the rate they're selling they'll be even cheaper in a year.

At the rate they're selling they'll be even cheaper in a year.

As will every other console on the market, so nothing new there.

Cheaper than €230, though? Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

As will every other console on the market, so nothing new there.

I can't see the ps4 dropping in price in the next year
    same with xbox one unless they do a kinectless console or one thats rumored without a disk drive

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭jackthetrader

And worth every penny!

Id say for a second console they would want to be hitting €199 mark

Interesting if correct, I guess.

PS4 Launch Week Sales: 681,687
    Xbox One Launch Week Sales: 336,030
    Wii U Launch Week Sales: 183,952

PS4 Lifetime Sales: 1,641,827
    Xbox One Lifetime Sales: 799,089
    Wii U Lifetime Sales: 1,146,354

Is the Wii U in trouble, or is it just a slow burner?

Where are those sales for? They're definitely not global...

As of last week:

worldwide_totals.png?a=8

• Advertisement

Either a very old article recently posted, or woefully poor research, because the vgchartz homepage has the lifetime to date sales of the current gen on it - and it's the image i posted above which is nothing like the stats in the article

Yeah, I had heard Vgcharts was solid enough. I just searched "ps4, xbox one, wii u sales" on Google and that was the first VGCharts link that appeared.

My best guess is that it's weekly sales for the launch period. Only thing that really makes sense with the numbers at the bottom, the starting point of each system, and the way things progress (also the PS4 has one extra plot point than the XBO, and it was out a week earlier)

One of the quotes "Global launch without the 2nd biggest market of the world (Japan) is not global launch. Adding it to WiiU makes no fair comparison."

Dunno if that works out, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

COYVB wrote: »
    Where are those sales for? They're definitely not global...

As of last week:

worldwide_totals.png?a=8

??? What the **** are those percentages supposed to mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭Varik

irishmover wrote: »
    ??? What the **** are those percentages supposed to mean?

Shows the percentage of their respective market(home console, or handheld).

This site is great. It also reminded me there's a new Sengoku Basara game out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Varik wrote: »
    Shows the percentage of their respective market(home console, or handheld).

Durrrrrr!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,504 ✭✭✭✭Varik

This site is great. It also reminded me there's a new Sengoku Basara game out.

Only problem is that while the numbers are probably the most accurate you'll find they aren't always great due to digital or non-us sales

• Advertisement

One of the quotes "Global launch without the 2nd biggest market of the world (Japan) is not global launch. Adding it to WiiU makes no fair comparison."

Dunno if that works out, though.

Japan is the third largest behind Europe and North America AFAIK

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement