Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

COYVB wrote: »
    Give me a pm when you're over and I'll see if there's anything going. Could do with a part time west coaster for evening coverage to be honest

*edit* that was for rasta. Not sure what happened there. Time for bed

I think you got your RasTas' and your Grayditchs' mixed up...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

Grayditch wrote: »
    Did you ever say media was a priority for you? Help people out, like.

I think I've been very, very clear that I was looking for some feedback other than the PS4 has better graphics. Very clear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I makes a better media player, especially in europe (yet is still crap compared to the PS3).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

wrt40 wrote: »
    I think I've been very, very clear that I was looking for some feedback other than the PS4 has better graphics. Very clear.

You've also repeatedly gotten comments with some very, very clear feedback which you seem to completely ignore. Please engage with or acknowledge them, as at the moment you seem unwilling to so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

typical, as soon as I say adios to the thread, these two guys join in and give some actual real, honest, good, unbiased advice.

I've always felt Sony were being quite sneaky on their approach. They can't afford to give things away forever, seems their plan is to profit through content.

Whereas MS have been completely open with their deviousness :)

Seems to me you only think its unbiased if people give the PS4/Sony a kicking and biased if they say its good!!
    The XBox 1 has exactly the same flaws as the ones the two posters listed above!!

The two posters blame sony for adding a subscription model but it was microsoft who introduced that model.

If you think about it microsoft had the more succesful console last gen and where able to charge €60 a year for live.

So why would sony think adding a yearly sub was gonna be a barrier to a successful console? Im not surprised they went with it, id say most people expected it.

Both consoles are media feature starved at the moment, but id imagine that will change over time and a lot of features will be added back in future updates for both. So I wouldnt make a decision to buy something because it had usb file playback first when its primarily a games console

• Advertisement

EoinHef wrote: »
    Seems to me you only think its unbiased if people give the PS4/Sony a kicking and biased if they say its good!!
    The XBox 1 has exactly the same flaws as the ones the two posters listed above!!
    I quoted them both and thanked them for their feedback.

You've also repeatedly gotten comments with some very, very clear feedback which you seem to completely ignore. Please engage with or acknowledge them, as at the moment you seem unwilling to so.

I have thanked many peoples comments along the way. It's very apparent that most people are PS fans, that's my conclusion. Call me what you like, that's what I take away from it. And PS4 has better graphics. I actually only came back to thank some people, which leaves your comment a bit puzzling.

Adios, again. And thank you, for those who haven't seen the numerous posts where I have thanked you all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Plenty of people seem to have given you reasons but you seem to ignore them.
    • Cheaper
    • Optional PSEye if that floats your boat
    • Optional Remote Play (with all PS4 games) with Vita and if you own a Vita that is another two games added into the Instant Game Collection specifically for the Vita along with the games for your PS4.
    • VR technology on the horizon
    • PS Now to offer a subscription service for playing games from older systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

People are gonna sound like Sony fans on here, sure. The poll, aside, people just prefer one of the black boxes to the other. It'd happen with two toasters if anyone cared that much about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I can't believe this thread is still going so strong. It was originally meant to just see who was getting which console and it's now months since both have been released. Apart from a few genuine, informing posts, it just seems like a thread for fans from both sides to take shots at each other.

• Advertisement

Apart from that last Titanfall debacle, it's been pretty decent. A lot of questions are still being answered, some of the info is still news to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

I agree the thread has probably gone on a little long at this stage, a lot of stuff is getting repeated.

At the same time though I have found it handy to keep up to date on the latest developments for each console. Rather than follow a ps and xbox thread I can follow this one and get info on both.

I think debates like this can go on forever really as I think people are so staunch in there opinions they cant see any other point of view.

Dont think there is a wrong answer when it comes to which to buy, each has there merits. Just have to decide which one suits best for what you want it for.

Over the lifetime of both consoles im sure they BOTH will bring many hours of enjoyment to people who have either.

And thats my last 2 cents on the matter....for what its worth:)

You'd miss Richard Dower's posts, although maybe he/she is still here in spirit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

You'd miss Richard Dower's posts, although maybe he/she is still here in spirit ;)

Haha very much so, to the point of it being blatantly obvious, especially on the tv forum

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

DaLad wrote: »
    I can't believe this thread is still going so strong. It was originally meant to just see who was getting which console and it's now months since both have been released. Apart from a few genuine, informing posts, it just seems like a thread for fans from both sides to take shots at each other.

Welcome to the intraweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I have thanked many peoples comments along the way. It's very apparent that most people are PS fans, that's my conclusion.
    Indeed.

The thread title should be changed to the Church of Sony :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

In fairness, I can see this thread as an achievement of console wars. 2000 replies and we only had few minor incidents and the whole debate was very very civil when it comes to Console VS console.

I just find it ironic that a good bit of us who were talking in this thread and having different opinions ended up on PC playing Rust, a game which is 95% not completed, together until 4:00 in the morning fighting off Russian gangs, Dutch Throatcuts, collecting recources and building boards.ie Fortress of Doom! :pac:

Not sure why the majority opinion on something should be bothersome to anyone. It's not a football match or battle of the bands, here. It's an indication to some who want to know, and if you own an Xbox, I'm sure you're happy enough with it. Need I remind anyone that there was a thread about "Who has a broken PS4" and people with Xboxes who were giving out about the PS4 clicked that they had. People who post on this thread. Silly thread as it was, it was a bit embarrassing to see. This thread has been more good than bad.

I like it. Even with the blue and white wallpaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

As I've already said, the Xbox gives more. I came on trying to find out if there was anything else to the PS4 and the conclusion is there isn't. More power is not a good enough reason for me, but I can understand why it is to most particularly the more hard core gamer who would be more prevalent at this early stage. Saying its cheaper is misleading because it's not comparing like with like. I would want something more for my money and the only feature that interests me is remote play with the Vita, which bumps the price up by 170-200 euro, making it the more expensive console for my needs.

I'm not writing off either. At the moment the games list interests me more on the PS4 and ultimately that's what matters. Titanfall looks like the same old same to me. But then many, many games do these days.
    The problem is I'm taking advice from PS fans. nothing wrong with that, its just the wrong people to be asking for a unbiased opinion.

That's fine, I'll take it on board all the same. PS4 is better graphics and is cheaper. Got it. I'm still not convinced though so I'll see. Maybe I will get a PS4 based on the games, I don't know yet. I know I'm in the minority with what I'm looking from in a console too, so I don't think there is anyone really who can give me good advice. at the end of the day it's no big deal what I choose really. I just thought it'd be nice to research and pick the best one for me.

Cheers lads.

Wow. Some pretty condescending, insulting stuff there. Basically, the differences between the two are:

Xb1 is €100 more
    Xb1 can't play some 3rd party games at full fps/resolution
    Xb1 has a built in Kinect
    PS4 Move will cost an extra ~€60 to give it "Kinect-like powers"
    PS4 has Vita support as an optional extra
    Both consoles require subscription to play online, though currently the PS+ offers more bang for your buck. (Worse than it was on the PS3, but that's not what we're comparing here)
    Both have voice commands.
    Xb1 has gesture commands (I think), much like a Smart TV
    Both have exclusive titles that appeal to different people

Honestly? To me it sounds like what you're looking for is not a console at all, but a smart TV. No subscription charge, can do all the gesture/media center stuff. Probably costs more, but you also have a new tv then.

I'd like to also point out that all of this has already been mentioned in the thread, but you weren't looking for a recommendation, you were looking for justification for buying an XBox One. And unless you really love Halo or Gears of War, or really hate Sony, or really love MS, there just isn't one at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

How could anyone love Microsoft?
    They make Windows!
    It's like loving the company that makes your fridge!
    Surely the adoration of a manufacturer should be the exclusive purview of Apple zealots! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

They make Windows!
    Surely the adoration of a manufacturer should be the exclusive purview of Apple zealots! ;)

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    They make Windows!

Jeebus, the anti-Apple crowd are just as bad. Apple, Android, Xbox One, PS4… who cares - I can't shag any of them so they're all equally useless to me. Why can't we all get along like in the old coke ads…

Actually, one thing that this thread has taught me is that if even I did have the money to buy a PS4 - which is the console I'd choose - I'd probably still hold off for a while because it's not got enough sorted out on it yet but it has been interesting to read down through everything and do a bit of research on the two different consoles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Who ever said that most likely is a personal. Who would not have bought that game in the first place.
    Those who will want particular game will just buy it.

Don't forget the other positive effect ps+ have: people try out games, which are outside their comfort zone. It's a dlc Sale or sequel sale sale after.
    I stayed away from Dragons dogma, I gave it a shot and now I am going to buy Dragons Dogma 2.
    I am one of those people who were very annoyed by new Devil may cry remake. I am a fan of old Dante. I got Dmc for free on ps+, gave it a shot and I am loving it. I will buy next Ninja Theory Dmc game.

inFamous2 got a day 1 purchase out of me, based on this.

Remember when they leaked all our details and "gave" us a few games as compensation. I chose inFamous, which I had no interest in up to then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,261 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It seems to me that you really want an xbone and want people to "convince" you that it's the console to go for. Well, the sony is better for lots of reasons mentioned, it might not be what you want to hear, but the pros and cons of each console weigh in sonys favour.
    Don't bother staying loyal to either company, or "hating" one company because of something they did before, it's pointless.
    If you really want, here's the reasons to buy an xbone:
    • You have a 360 and want to stick to microsoft
    • Your friends all have xbones
    • You really want a kinect and sonys camera won't do.
    • You really want the microsoft exclusives and you don't think much of sonys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

interesting, the patch notes for Killzone Shadow Fall include:

"Option to lock at 30fps in campaign"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    They make Windows!

I love the company that makes my fridge....they also make my dishwasher and after months without a dishwasher, I LOVE my dishwasher.

I am a Hotpoint fanboy.

Wait, what sounds wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

I am a Hotpoint fanboy.

Wait, what sounds wrong...

Remember Smeg?

Wait, that sounds slightly wrong too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Remember Smeg?

Wait, that sounds slightly wrong too...

Are you saying that you're a... smeghead?

Red Dwarf fans will get it... I hope :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement