Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

When moving from one generation to another, people look for that one (or more) next-gen feature (or features) that defines a particular console. Whether it is moving from CD to DVD to Blu-Ray, the advent of online services or the addition of some new tech (like touchscreens or 3D displays).

This generation is no different, though these features have not been launched yet - gaming over the cloud (via PlayStation Now), sharing gameplay screens and videos directly from the console and using VR headsets (with Oculus, Sony and Valve all releasing their own versions) are all currently nearly fully implemented or in the works.

You might say PC gamers have had these features for a while, but TBH this was true of almost every generation previous to this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

This isn't a loaded question, but does the Xbox One play video files with any of the updates since launch?

In have a WDTV Live and Spotify, so I don't use my consoles for media, but I can sympathise with people left in the cold with these features removed. I think it's pretty greedy and I dunno if it's actually coming without people taking a stand.

Jesus. Keep it friendly.

Edit: Post deleted. N'ermind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

You clearly are I'll informed. "Mr reporter". WHAT FREE services do you get for ps4?I'd like a list so I can avail of them? And don't bother showing credit card details, 30 day free Sign up services.

PS+ and music unlimited (I'll be getting PlayStation Now before it launches too). I'm not sure I get where you're going with this. Journalists get things for free to cover them, they're not typically asked to pay for services. I also get Xbox Live for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

CYOVB, I've taken my comment out. Didn't mean to get personal. You might want to snip it out where you have it quoted too.

Cheers for the advice all. I'll leave it at that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Who do you write for?

RasTa wrote: »
    Who do you write for?

Editor in Chief of the 2 biggest gaming mags in Canada. Technically the only 2 gaming mags in Canada, but I prefer the other way of saying it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Grayditch wrote: »
    This isn't a loaded question, but does the Xbox One play video files with any of the updates since launch?

In have a WDTV Live and Spotify, so I don't use my consoles for media, but I can sympathise with people left in the cold with these features removed. I think it's pretty greedy and I dunno if it's actually coming without people taking a stand.

As far as Sony goes , they are holding off the backlash hinting a patch but really they are waiting for big game titles to smooth it over. But so far you can't start up your ps4 without seeing music unlimited which would be useless with allowed streaming and YouTube.

I don't remember anyone saying hey Sony what the gamers really want is you to make us pay to do everything that was free on ps3. PlayStation plus should be enough without even more side subscriptions. And that's the bottom line.

COYVB wrote: »
    Editor in Chief of the 2 biggest gaming mags in Canada. Technically the only 2 gaming mags in Canada, but I prefer the other way of saying it

And yet you have time to post on boards.ie

Must be a slow news week in Canada.

The Music Unlimited app on PS4 is an absolute disaster, anyway. Not sure how they expect people to pay for that.

• Advertisement

Course I have time to post. I'm a games journalist for gods sake, I'm not running CNN. Though I really should be in bed, it's almost 6am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

You should email the CEO of Sony and tell him what this Canadian journalist is up to.

You should email the CEO of Sony and tell him what this Canadian journalist is up to.
    I'm Irish :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I own a ps4 and here is the dirty lil.secret .
    It is a step back.from the ps3 3 steps in fact.

While ms were being kicked in the face by Sony about always on and second hand games trading. Sony were all the while blind siding ps4 buyers and obscuring their own agendas.

Ps4 is now a fully subscription machine. To play games online you need to subscribe. You can no longer watch YouTube or stream movies play music on your ps4. Sony now have "music unlimited" and a lot of other subscription services in the pipeline and it Is only going to get worse.

I have mailed Sony ceo and my reply to these questions were and I quote "........." The latest patch for the ps4 was literally to sell expensive Sony headsets. This says it all.

As long as people don't complain Sony are going go further. Basically the ps3 is more next gen than ps4 apart from the graphics. And without Microsoft and x boxs competition Sony will be bending you over a barrel till your wallet falls out and leave you there crying rape. This is fact.

Now you can say "i only want it for games" but a lot of people used their ps3s for a lot of stuff and only became aware of the ps4 New subscription only ways after buying.the people that blindly say who cares I love ps, are the reason Sony have not done a Uturn. They are holding out and seeing how much of a backlash there is. Essentially we are being offered less for more money. And anyone that can't see that is exactly the reason why they're doing it.

Very good post...I'm a diehard Xbox user but I'm very disappointed with the XB1.
    No point in using the TV input as family need to be able the TV without having to use the xbox.
    Kinect--waste of time..grand for some fun around xmas but I've yet to see any improvements for v2 gameswise.

No DNLA streaming--IF you want your console to be the center of your entertainment heap this is a no. 1
    Streaming from PC is bullshít and I don't count that as a feature but a handicap.
    Controllers- way flimsier than the 360 version. Very comfortable to hold though and I pick the xbox over the PC purely because of the controller.

GPU- A huge disappointment and MS really screwed up here. You can talk about Esram but looking at COD/BF4 and a few more upcoming games and the XBOX1 severely lags behind. We're counting on Devs taking the time to learn about properly utilizing esram and will it be big enough to match PS4 for graphics. I honestly hope so otherwise I'll be jumping to the PS4 for 1080p.

And this is the biggest one for me...gaming in 720p is a huge disadvantage to me...I'm used to gaming at 1080,1200 and 1600p on my PC and dropping back to 720P on the XBOX1 is horrible. I do not fancy that for any games for the XB1 life.

On the other hand Sony has remove nearly all of the features I liked about the PS3 and screwed over their PS4 owners. If they had those features from Day 1 I would have gone for the PS4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I'm Irish :p

If you're in Canadaland, you're dead to me… :p

Won't be long before Canada has more Irish than we do!

Won't be long before Canada has more Irish than we do!

It's really getting that way! They're ruining it for those of us who got here early :p

It's really getting that way! They're ruining it for those of us who got here early :p

Where ye based? I'll be back in Vancouver soon, give us a job :)

Where ye based? I'll be back in Vancouver soon, give us a job :)

Just outside Toronto in Oshawa

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

wrt40 wrote: »
    The problem is I'm taking advice from PS fans. nothing wrong with that, its just the wrong people to be asking for a unbiased opinion.

That's fine, I'll take it on board all the same. PS4 is better graphics and is cheaper. Got it. I'm still not convinced though so I'll see. Maybe I will get a PS4 based on the games, I don't know yet. I know I'm in the minority with what I'm looking from in a console too, so I don't think there is anyone really who can give me good advice. at the end of the day it's no big deal what I choose really. I just thought it'd be nice to research and pick the best one for me.

Cheers lads.

This isn't a PlayStation forum tho, the reason it probably seems like it is because there aren't any reasons to go with the Xbox and so no-one is posting about it.

I'm not sure what the difference is between the Kinect and PSeye but I'm pretty sure that they both have voice commands and ****.

Like others have said, who you keep ignoring, the Ps has PlayStation Now coming soon.. it also has a VR headset in development similar to the oculus rift ( which is far more next gen than Kinect). Yes it's a more powerful system and its cheaper.. but it's also got a better subscription ( At least most would agree that it does ) with PS plus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭wrt40

I own a ps4 and here is the dirty lil.secret .
    It is a step back.from the ps3 3 steps in fact.

While ms were being kicked in the face by Sony about always on and second hand games trading. Sony were all the while blind siding ps4 buyers and obscuring their own agendas.

Ps4 is now a fully subscription machine. To play games online you need to subscribe. You can no longer watch YouTube or stream movies play music on your ps4. Sony now have "music unlimited" and a lot of other subscription services in the pipeline and it Is only going to get worse.

I have mailed Sony ceo and my reply to these questions were and I quote "........." The latest patch for the ps4 was literally to sell expensive Sony headsets. This says it all.

As long as people don't complain Sony are going go further. Basically the ps3 is more next gen than ps4 apart from the graphics. And without Microsoft and x boxs competition Sony will be bending you over a barrel till your wallet falls out and leave you there crying rape. This is fact.

Now you can say "i only want it for games" but a lot of people used their ps3s for a lot of stuff and only became aware of the ps4 New subscription only ways after buying.the people that blindly say who cares I love ps, are the reason Sony have not done a Uturn. They are holding out and seeing how much of a backlash there is. Essentially we are being offered less for more money. And anyone that can't see that is exactly the reason why they're doing it.

Blazer wrote: »
    Very good post...I'm a diehard Xbox user but I'm very disappointed with the XB1.
    No point in using the TV input as family need to be able the TV without having to use the xbox.
    Kinect--waste of time..grand for some fun around xmas but I've yet to see any improvements for v2 gameswise.

No DNLA streaming--IF you want your console to be the center of your entertainment heap this is a no. 1
    Streaming from PC is bullshít and I don't count that as a feature but a handicap.
    Controllers- way flimsier than the 360 version. Very comfortable to hold though and I pick the xbox over the PC purely because of the controller.

GPU- A huge disappointment and MS really screwed up here. You can talk about Esram but looking at COD/BF4 and a few more upcoming games and the XBOX1 severely lags behind. We're counting on Devs taking the time to learn about properly utilizing esram and will it be big enough to match PS4 for graphics. I honestly hope so otherwise I'll be jumping to the PS4 for 1080p.

And this is the biggest one for me...gaming in 720p is a huge disadvantage to me...I'm used to gaming at 1080,1200 and 1600p on my PC and dropping back to 720P on the XBOX1 is horrible. I do not fancy that for any games for the XB1 life.

On the other hand Sony has remove nearly all of the features I liked about the PS3 and screwed over their PS4 owners. If they had those features from Day 1 I would have gone for the PS4.

typical, as soon as I say adios to the thread, these two guys join in and give some actual real, honest, good, unbiased advice.

I've always felt Sony were being quite sneaky on their approach. They can't afford to give things away forever, seems their plan is to profit through content.

Whereas MS have been completely open with their deviousness :)

Did you ever say media was a priority for you? Help people out, like.

If I was buying any console in 2014 it would be the wii-u.

I'll be back in Vancouver soon, give us a job :)

on this... can you write?

Blazer wrote: »

I kid you not this gen of consoles will be remembered for its attempt to squeeze every penny to set the new low standard way of doing things. No getting your value for money.

I hope it changes and people don't just accept it. Hell I dropped 460 odd euro on a ps4 and bf4.
    Bf4 is broken. Crashes black screens, unplayable lag. Trying to join a friend's game online is a joke.

Sony said 160 games for ps4 ? Are they counting pinball and all that other junk? I see FIFA 14 , bf4, and assassins creed bf. Other than that meh.

I used to write game reviews and features Destroyed L.A Noire, and don't regret a thing.

I really hope MS gets it's head in the game soon. Competition is hugely important for gamers.

I used to write game reviews and features Destroyed L.A Noire, and don't regret a thing.

Give me a pm when you're over and I'll see if there's anything going. Could do with a part time west coaster for evening coverage to be honest

*edit* that was for rasta. Not sure what happened there. Time for bed

Ugh derailing ,but what a let down that game was. Talk about linear gameplay. Don't shoot the guy in tge leg getting away. That be using your head. No kill him or our story will not work.

Traded before even cleared so my opinion is prob not a good one.

• Advertisement

on this... can you write?

Not to review standard, stick me in sales.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement