Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

If I remember correctly the bonfire by No Man's Wharf.. the fps is a lot faster there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Since Shadowhearth has become the spokesperson to Nintendo Wii u as of late there is a couple of things why Nintendo gets much praise from me as in the last couple of years since I went back to there home consoles after a two generation gap.

Much like the wii with the wii u Nintendo consoles are so Customer friendly I wish Sony or MS would follow suite.

Nintendo allowing to use gamecube controllers for wii u for less than 20 euros that you can connect with the adaptor why Ms and and Sony would do the same is beyond me.

not everyone has the income to shell out money on a extra controller and games and sure adding backwards compatibility would cost extra but I rather pay extra just so I would not have to be afraid of my old console being broken or worry about hd collections and remaster bull****.

I do not know if Corporate men and women in sony and Ms have forgotten but we are in a middle of a recession thats not going anywhere anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

not everyone has the income to shell out money on a extra controller and games and sure adding backwards compatibility would cost extra but I rather pay extra just so I would not have to be afraid of my old console being broken or worry about hd collections and remaster bull****.

I do not know if Corporate men and women in sony and Ms have forgotten but we are in a middle of a recession thats not going anywhere anytime soon.

Sony added backwards compatibility with the PS3 and it costed extra.. but it flopped so they dropped it. Don't expect them to accommodate the desires of a small minority, they're a business.

btw, we've been officially out of recession for almost a year now.

Sony added backwards compatibility with the PS3 and it costed extra.. but it flopped so they dropped it. Don't expect them to accommodate the desires of a small minority, they're a business.

If I see people hype as **** over master chief collections , last of us remastered from the same folks who bet the single player 3 times on ps3 , silent hill hd , zone of the enders hd then by all means its not a minority its everyone no matter what way you want to sugar coat it.

Ps3 had BC yeah but original model was priced the way it was the custom chips they decided to use took a big bollocks out of there pockets and they needed to get that money back somehow.

still would not of killed them for allowing people to use there ps3 and 360 controllers which are all worthless and plastic crap in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Well, Wii U managed to put in Wii game compatibility. I think the topic was more about peripherals.
    It was so nice for me to go and pick up Wii controllers from a friend and have a 4 player mariokart right there, right now. I had Towerfall essention on PS4 too, which would have been a lot of fun with few drinks, but I had only 2 controllers. Could I have taken 2 of my Ps3 controllers, which would have been more then enough to play that game? Nope.

I play consoles part time and my Ps4 was always fired up Sunday to Wednesday. Since I got Wii U my ps4 was not turned on since and my Wii U is being fired up more often then Sunday to Wednesday evenings.
    I actually looking forward to Mario brawl game as thats going to be a riot with vodka, pizza and 3 more buddies.

• Advertisement

If I see people hype as **** over master chief collections , last of us remastered from the same folks who bet the single player 3 times on ps3 , silent hill hd , zone of the enders hd then by all means its not a minority its everyone no matter what way you want to sugar coat it.

Ps3 had BC yeah but original model was priced the way it was the custom chips they decided to use took a big bollocks out of there pockets and they needed to get that money back somehow.

still would not of killed them for allowing people to use there ps3 and 360 controllers which are all worthless and plastic crap in a few years

Why should people getting excited about games bother you? They're improved versions, and with the Halo game it'll breathe new life into some of the older games that were pretty much dead. Letting people enjoy them properly again with full communities. Just don't buy it if you don't want them.

You think it'd be cheap to add a custom CELL processor into the PS4 just for the purpose of backwards compatibility? It's not worth it, no matter how many tens of people say they'd rather pay more.

The controller thing is a non-issue imo. It'd be nice, but you're making it into a bigger problem than it is. Plus the new controllers add extra functionality, so if a game used said functionality (touchpad), then anybody playing with a DS3 wouldn't be able to play the game.

Why should people getting excited about games bother you? They're improved versions, and with the Halo game it'll breathe new life into some of the older games that were pretty much dead. Letting people enjoy them properly again with full communities. Just don't buy it if you don't want them.

You think it'd be cheap to add a custom CELL processor into the PS4 just for the purpose of backwards compatibility? It's not worth it, no matter how many tens of people say they'd rather pay more.

The controller thing is a non-issue imo. It'd be nice, but you're making it into a bigger problem than it is. Plus the new controllers add extra functionality, so if a game used said functionality (touchpad), then anybody playing with a DS3 wouldn't be able to play the game.

PS4 touch pad is as useful and revolutionary as Kinect... Both are pretty much useless and barely anyone would miss them if they would be completely gone. ( waiting for few people to jump in and scream how awesome kinect is and how it makes them jizz everytime they say "xbox on!" a function that 5eu mic would do )
    So far, there is not a single game that forces you in using touchpad on controller just for the sake of it. Ps3 controller would do job perfectly.

PS4 touch pad is as useful and revolutionary as Kinect... Both are pretty much useless and barely anyone would miss them if they would be completely gone. ( waiting for few people to jump in and scream how awesome kinect is and how it makes them jizz everytime they say "xbox on!" a function that 5eu mic would do )
    So far, there is not a single game that forces you in using touchpad on controller just for the sake of it. Ps3 controller would do job perfectly.

I didn't say it was useful, or revolutionary. I said if a game uses it for anything at all (which many games do), then backwards compatibility with the DS3 is out of the question,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Why would it not be worth it? Id prefer to just play the old games if i really wanted to instead of having developers wasting time on remasters when they could be spending some of the cash we have already given them for the game to fund new games, not games we've already paid/played for :)

Or just cough up the €100 for the old console (if i didnt have it already) and play the games that way, if i really wanted to..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,996 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Much like the wii with the wii u Nintendo consoles are so Customer friendly I wish Sony or MS would follow suite.

Nintendo allowing to use gamecube controllers for wii u for less than 20 euros that you can connect with the adaptor why Ms and and Sony would do the same is beyond me.

If you think any business has your best interest at heart, you're off your head. The only reason that they add any feature is to make it more appealing over one of its competitors. They're all about 1 thing - getting the money out of your wallet with the least possible effort and expenditure.
    This applies doubly so to all these HD remakes, they have all the game assets, give em a fresh coat of paint and ship em out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,991 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The PS1 and PS2 processors were not just used in the consoles but were miniaturised and used in lots of sony consumer products. The PS1 chip drove the sound on the PS2 as well iirc. They were very cheap for Sony to manufacture. The Cell on the other hand was a disaster for Sony so there was no further development outside of the PS3 slim models. It would have cost Sony a hell of a lot to offer PS3 backwards compatibility.

Where did I say I have a problem with people liking HD games ?? I simply stated I rather BC than not having it and buying the same games more so than not you can get cheaper than them being bundled together.

Because you do not have a issue with it does not mean it should be swept under the rug and because I like more options and controllers that I am been given although paying 400 euros already on consoles that get so much praise that a pc at the same price could do the same thing.

you seem to be the one having a issue what I said and you are the one making a big issue about it.

Never have I had to discuss with someone that having more options and being told its a non issue. Nintendo offers controllers two generations back and keeps it lower than supposedly "Next Gen" powerful systems but I simply cant use my ps3 or 360 controllers.

you bring up touch pad and controllers functions it be so easily to have a option to turn off such features and I be very surprised to see just how many games takes advantages thats really needed like motion control in dualshock 3.

If you dont BC or not being able to use past controllers all power to you but because I would do not go throwing it back at my face.

I didn't say it was useful, or revolutionary. I said if a game uses it for anything at all (which many games do), then backwards compatibility with the DS3 is out of the question,

Not a single game out there on PS4 that could not work without touchpad. the games that use touchpad are using it only for the lols or Sony said "find a fecking way or no check this week".
    So far the only way its used, is to swipe to 4 directions to use a weapon or ability and then completely leave D-pad unused.

I will say it again - THERE IS NOT A SINGLE GAME THAT COULD NOT WORK WITHOUT DS4.

nix wrote: »
    Why would it not be worth it? Id prefer to just play the old games if i really wanted to instead of having developers wasting time on remasters when they could be spending some of the cash we have already given them for the game to fund new games, not games we've already paid/played for :)

Or just cough up the €100 for the old console (if i didnt have it already) and play the games that way, if i really wanted to..

It's not worth it because it'd make the console more expensive, and as we saw with the PS3 people aren't willing to pay extra for backwards compatibility.
    Not a single game out there on PS4 that could not work without touchpad. the games that use touchpad are using it only for the lols or Sony said "find a fecking way or no check this week".
    So far the only way its used, is to swipe to 4 directions to use a weapon or ability and then completely leave D-pad unused.

I will say it again - THERE IS NOT A SINGLE GAME THAT COULD NOT WORK WITHOUT DS4.

Again - I didn't say otherwise. BUT THERE ARE GAMES THAT USE THE TOUCHPAD. So they can't provide backwards compatibility with the DS3, unless developers want to add an extra control scheme for older controllers which may or may not be worth it. I'd say probably not.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

They'd be incredibly hard to play though :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Is someone arguing that point?

I liked it in Killzone and I'm looking forward to it in TLOU.. been saying it to friends for a long time that it's just a lot more comfortable instead of moving to the d-pad.

All games can/do work without using the DS4 speakers.. however I love it when it is used. Again Killzone, Transistor (soon to be TLOU)

If you dont BC or not being able to use past controllers all power to you but because I would do not go throwing it back at my face.

I didn't realize offering a different point of view counted as "throwing it back in your face". Don't be so sensitive.

And I do think backwards compatibilty would be nice, I just don't think the trade off is worth it. More money, to play older games for a console I already own.
    If you want backwards compatibility, that's fine, you're welcome to petition for it, but looking at it from Sony's point of view it would be a bad decision to add it if it meant upping the price of the console.

I didn't realize offering a different point of view counted as "throwing it back in your face". Don't be so sensitive.

And I do think backwards compatibilty would be nice, I just don't think the trade off is worth it. More money, to play older games for a console I already own.
    If you want backwards compatibility, that's fine, you're welcome to petition for it, but looking at it from Sony's point of view it would be a bad decision to add it if it meant upping the price of the console.

I do not mind a different opinion but you were you were going on about how I was making a big of nothing to what wanting more options.

Hard to be sensitive over videogames :pac::pac:

I do not mind a different opinion but you were you were going on about how I was making a big of nothing to what wanting more options.

Hard to be sensitive over videogames :pac::pac:

Bit of an oxymoron that statement. You don't mind different opinions but at the same time I was going on about how you was making a big of nothing to what wanting more options?

Bit of an oxymoron that statement. You don't mind different opinions but at the same time I was going on about how you was making a big of nothing to what wanting more options?

take of it what you will , you are clearly the corporate market

controllers dont care
    Backward compatibility dont care
    online passes dont mind
    Online Subscriptions dont care
    pre order bonus dont care
    Dlc Dont care

Rule Number uno on the internet do not take **** seriously ;)

• Advertisement

take of it what you will , you are clearly the corporate market

controllers dont care
    Backward compatibility dont care
    online passes dont mind
    Online Subscriptions dont care
    pre order bonus dont care
    Dlc Dont care

Rule Number uno on the internet do not take **** seriously ;)

Not sure what you mean by I'm the corporate market.

I care about all the things you listed, I'm just able to look at things from the business perspective and understand that some things aren't financially viable. The bottom line of every single business in the world is to make money.

Not sure what you mean by I'm the corporate market.

I care about all the things you listed, I'm just able to look at things from the business perspective and understand that some things aren't financially viable. The bottom line of every single business in the world is to make money.

My post was simply saying Nintendo is customer friendly adding multiple controllers from different generations that can still work and I would of liked sony or ms would do the same for people who bought 300 euros worth of controllers from last via adapter input

the discussion snow balled into BC

yes I would like BC but if not there fine.

Its okay to look at things from a business perspective but its better to look at whats benefits you best than a company at the same time.

tok9 wrote: »
    Is someone arguing that point?

I liked it in Killzone and I'm looking forward to it in TLOU.. been saying it to friends for a long time that it's just a lot more comfortable instead of moving to the d-pad.

All games can/do work without using the DS4 speakers.. however I love it when it is used. Again Killzone, Transistor (soon to be TLOU)

Point is, that they could let people play with ps3 controller if they want to. No one could give less ****s what controllerthey would play on in a game like Towerfall game.
    Options is a nice thing to have and MS/Sony just being dicks about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭Varik

War Thunder.

They've copied the PC version right over for menus and the main menu, even using the sticks to control a cursor would be a pain.

Varik wrote: »
    War Thunder.

They've copied the PC version right over for menus and the main menu, even using the sticks to control a cursor would be a pain.

it would be a pain to play street fighter without a fighting stick
    and luffy did that at this year at evo with a ps1 controller...and one evo :L

War Thunder.

Using touchpad to navigate Warthunder menus is like putitng your dick in a blender and at the same time to try to touch your nose with tongue.
    You can use whole menu with controller with no touchpad. so you could use ps3 controller again.

My post was simply saying Nintendo is customer friendly adding multiple controllers from different generations that can still work and I would of liked sony or ms would do the same for people who bought 300 euros worth of controllers from last via adapter input

No but both MS and Sony do the same for people who've bought 1000s of euros of games, Nintendo treat digital the same as physical games and have a offer the stupidest system to transfer content from one device to another.

No but both MS and Sony do the same for people who've bought 1000s of euros of games, Nintendo treat digital the same as physical games and have a offer the stupidest system to transfer content from one device to another.

Nintendo Fixed all that transferring stuff and I see stupid prices on psn all the time on there store that sometimes is more than what retail give

Using touchpad to navigate Warthunder menus is like putitng your dick in a blender and at the same time to try to touch your nose with tongue.
    You can use whole menu with controller with no touchpad. so you could use ps3 controller again.

You need to especially for moving around the vehicle customization or altering loadout in game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Text entry with help from the gyro in the DS4 is class and I use it all the time. Probably should have been able to do that with the DS3, too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement