Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Fieldog wrote: »
    Try working with him! ;)

We worked together many moons ago, Damo is a good lad so he is...

I've been trying to tempt him to the dark side of BF on PS4 with the other IRL lads, I admire him sticking to his guns...
    THE IRL LADS you refer to myself included will not play bf on anything its a pile of puke lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

THE IRL LADS you refer to myself included will not play bf on anything its a pile of puke lol

Try buying a PS4 just for BF4 - my heart sank.... :(

The game was playable until the first update, and then unplayable with every update until April 23rd this year...

(which I refer to as the day that BF4 started working reasonably!)

I haven't had much of a go with the new maps but I will go back to it after the Destiny beta is over....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

3D bluray support for PS4 next week with firmware update 1.75

http://www.engadget.com/2014/07/23/ps4-blu-ray-3d/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

What I find hilarious about this console fanboy war is that the two systems are essentially the same just like the 360 and ps3.

Pick your console if you can only buy one based on exclusives.

I bought the 360 as I preferred their exclusives.

Partner your new system with a Wii U as it some great exclusives also.

You'd swear this was Snes v Megadrive type arguments when it actually mattered which one you bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

What I find hilarious about this console fanboy war is that the two systems are essentially the same just like the 360 and ps3.

Nah. The 360 and PS3 are fairly different experiences.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »

Vast portions of their catalogue are the same game wise, very similar in power, both do online gaming, etc...

I'm not saying they're the exact same but the arguing that surrounds these two and the new two in my opinion is pretty much school boyish stuff.

As I said before just choose the one with the exclusives you wanna play because really the argument should come down to games.

The two new consoles have no games yet but you should have an idea from the ps3 v 360 era as to which will suit you best.

I dont subscribe to this business of "they dobt have games" to be honest. Not for me. The lack of AAA exclusives on PS4 (in my case) has pushed me out of my comfort zone to try games like Octodad, Outlast, Towerfall, Resogun, Transistor with good results.

I've also enjoyed the next gen versions of AC4, Watchdogs, Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein, and FIFA, as well as Infamous, Killzone etc. I imagine the experience is similar for a lot of people with Xboxes. There are games out for people who play everything.

I never grew out of that as a kid, playing everything that looked good, Todd's Adventure's in Slime World one day, Road Rash the next, then NHL... and I never even had an interest in NHL. Puzzle games, shoot em ups whatever.

I think people these days pigeonhole themselves with fussyness more than they get trapped by new consoles "lack of games", but that's just my opinion.

I dont subscribe to this business of "they dobt have games" to be honest. Not for me. The lack of AAA exclusives on PS4 (in my case) has pushed me out of my comfort zone to try games like Octodad, Outlast, Towerfall, Resogun, Transistor with good results.

I've also enjoyed the next gen versions of AC4, Watchdogs, Tomb Raider, Wolfenstein, and FIFA, as well as Infamous, Killzone etc. I imagine the experience is similar for a lot of people with Xboxes. There are games out for people who play everything.

I never grew out of that as a kid, playing everything that looked good, Todd's Adventure's in Slime World one day, Road Rash the next, then NHL... and I never even had an interest in NHL. Puzzle games, shoot em ups whatever.

I think people these days pigeonhole themselves with fussyness more than they get trapped by new consoles "lack of games", but that's just my opinion.

I'm not necessarily talking AAA games though tbh. I'm really not that interested personally in most AAA games. The new COD or Fifa for example can go ask me ......
    What I'm talking about is any interesting games and having a decent library.
    I'm sure both systems will eventually have great libraries eventually but they are seriously lacking currently which is to be expected. Its just like any other launch system before them.

So IMO theres no compelling reason to own either next/current gen machine if you already own a PS3 or 360. If you dont own either the ps3 or 360 personally I'd buy one of those probably a PS3 and just play ps plus games until some good releases on the new gen machines... ps on that Resogun looks fun but outside of that its all a bit meh.

Personally the overlap next gen/current gen games you mentioned I'd have no issue playing them on my 360. They wouldnt be priority games for me though so it doesnt sway me either way. Destiny (I know you didnt mention this one) is the only one I'd like to get at the moment of the overlap games and to be honest I'd happily play it on 360. I havent got time at the moment to get sucked into a game like though unfortunately.
    Graphically the new systems arent that much better for me to warrant a purchase. In time this gap will increase but now imo its minimal.

All I'm saying I suppose is I think the fanboyism going on at the moment is just plain stupid. Pick a console based on current and likely future releases or maybe on what your friends have if your into the online end of things.

But this bickering over which is better is just nonsense as they really are soooooo similar.

Anyway the funny thing about all of this is that the Wii U has sold terribly so far thanks mainly to Nintendo's incredibly bad marketing and it had the same issue as the other two consoles at the start with poor launch line ups but imo it has by far the best line up of all the systems right now with some amazing first party Nintendo exclusives in particular.
    The Vita for me would be a very close second for variety of interesting games. Thats an argument for another thread though. :D
    I know a lot love the 3DS as well. Personally I cant justify the purchase as I own a Wii U but for a lot of people this is an option that should be considered as well as it has a great library.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Nintendo is a perfect example of situation where marketing was just ****. I would always roll my eyes when I hear about company spending stupid figures on marketing, but Nintendo example really shows how important it is.
    You notice how bad it is when you buy a wii u and say to people that you got one. Every single of my friends who are not gamers or gamers lite know about ps4 and Xbox one, but non of them heard about wii u. No one!!!

Nintendo is a perfect example of situation where marketing was just ****. I would always roll my eyes when I hear about company spending stupid figures on marketing, but Nintendo example really shows how important it is.
    You notice how bad it is when you buy a wii u and say to people that you got one. Every single of my friends who are not gamers or gamers lite know about ps4 and Xbox one, but non of them heard about wii u. No one!!!

Yeah I was even talking to "gamer" recently who had has owned consoles since the 80's but he'd never heard of the Wii U. He thought it was a version of the Wii. Thats crazy! What was funnier was when I explained what it was he loved the idea of it and said he'd look into it further and probably buy one! Wheres my commission Nintendo?!!

Such a fantastic machine. Anyone I've introduced to it absolutely love it. Play it and then decided is what I tell them. Easy sale once they've experienced it themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Trine Enchanted Edition is out now on PC. Linux, Mac, PS4 and Wii U versions will be released later this year.

No word on a XBO version.

I really liked Trine 2. Looking forward to this now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

??

i was referring to you calling miju an xbox bum buddy.

when you start to personally insult people you dont know because of a console you know you have issues.

I'm going to quickly chime in and back out of this thread.

1: I know fieldog well, we worked together for a few years and we called each other worse back in the day :)

2: He has spent alot of time with the XB1 and worked for MS support which is why I never argue with him over their policies

3: Dave is one sound motherfooker

That is all
    Fieldog wrote: »
    I've been trying to tempt him to the dark side of BF on PS4 with the other IRL lads, I admire him sticking to his guns...

It will happen when I've the wedding sorted and the war dept. gives me permission, until then it's MS all the way :P:P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

miju wrote: »
    I'm going to quickly chime in and back out of this thread.

1: I know fieldog well, we worked together for a few years and we called each other worse back in the day :)

2: He has spent alot of time with the XB1 and worked for MS support which is why I never argue with him over their policies

3: Dave is one sound motherfooker

That is all

It will happen when I've the wedding sorted and the war dept. gives me permission, until then it's MS all the way :P:P:P:P

The hell you doing here? Get out, you got your "leaving thanks". Or you just left the thread, so you can get a few extra thanks and then lurk around like a hero? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

They are both consoles. They both have comparable power. They both cost roughly the same. They both operate with a gamepad. They both play 90% of the same games.

Frankly, they are two of the most similar consoles ever created. The ps3 and 360 were virtually identical experiences, and yeah I owned both.

Sky diving and cooking steak. Those are different experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

miju wrote: »

*cough*

Wedding gift... :P

Kirby wrote: »
    They are both consoles. They both have comparable power. They both cost roughly the same. They both operate with a gamepad. They both play 90% of the same games.

Frankly, they are two of the most similar consoles ever created. The ps3 and 360 were virtually identical experiences, and yeah I owned both.

Sky diving and cooking steak. Those are different experiences.

Why bother owning both if they are so similar?

I own both because they are different, anyway.

Why bother owning both if they are so similar?

I own both because they are different, anyway.

Exclusives are 99% of the reason to buy both to the small amount of people who do end up buying both. People here maybe more so. General public buy one or the other.

The other 1% down to preference and generally is why one will buy one over the other along with exclusive choice.

I don't have a ps3 nor will I ever own a ps3. I was and still am a 360 owner as I preferred the exclusives and the controller.

The systems to me are waaaaay too similar for me to justify another console under the telly.

Right, there was no way I was missing out on either the PS3 or 360 exclusives. Or Wii, for that matter.

Just resigning to not playing MGS4, or the Witcher 2 for example just wasn't gonna happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

might have to pick up a vita this week just for more bragging rights ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Imagine never playing The Last Of us, Journey or even Shadow of Colossus.

Nightmare stuff, same goes for Super Mario Galaxy 2 and 3D world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

RasTa wrote: »

to be fair I would of been totally fine if I never touched the last of us , it was good but not as good as people make it out to be

RasTa wrote: »

Yeah, Sony exclusives just speak to my tastes a bit more, which is why I went with Ps4 first. I'm all ears for new Xbox One exclusives that pique my interests, but nothing much has yet.

Grabbing the Wii-U next month because that has finally charmed me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just to go back on a previous point.

Just bought and booted up Dark Souls 2 on PC to play it again with the DLC.

Which ever developer said that 30 FPS is an artistic choice is talking through their hoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

That was Ready at Dawn i believe,regarding The Order 1886.

One of the head guys was talking yesterday and said there is no other console that could handle the game,me thinks there full of BS.

Maybe not a exact port but with a few adjustments im sure it would run on Xbox 1.

They are managing to put me off there game with this crap

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just to go back on a previous point.

Just bought and booted up Dark Souls 2 on PC to play it again with the DLC.

Which ever developer said that 30 FPS is an artistic choice is talking through their hoop.

It depends on the game...dark souls clearly has an fps issues on consoles. But you continue to sound like your piping this debate towards every title. I agree that some developers are talking ****e but there are certain games / developers that are not especially when it comes to remakes or HD revisions of previously released titles.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It depends on the game...dark souls clearly has an fps issues on consoles. But you continue to sound like your piping this debate towards every title. I agree that some developers are talking ****e but there are certain games / developers that are not especially when it comes to remakes or HD revisions of previously released titles.

Nope. It's just a fact. Games play better at 60 FPS and look better. Case in point was playing DS at 60 FPS today. It's an infinitely better game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

To be fair, I struggle to imagine anyone would say anything other than Dark Souls II was subject to serious graphical compromises on consoles. Given the game randomly breaks into 60FPS per second in quiet areas temporarily, it's more than obvious that the game was always meant to run at that speed - it just didn't because the 360 and PS3 weren't able. That was not a game designed with 30FPS in mind, and PC at 60FPS or higher was always going to be the significantly superior, 'as intended' version. Again, I don't think there's even a debate there - it's factually better looking and more responsive (as 60 always will be).

There's a notable difference between a game that is 'reluctantly' forced to run at 30 FPS due to technical limitations and a game that purposefully sets out for 30 FPS with an aesthetic purpose in mind, such as to emulate the visual signature of celluloid. The latter developers, whoever they may be, have their work seriously cut for them to prove the inferior frame rate is suited to their visual style, and frankly we don't have any game yet that proves it.

As for The Order, the more I read and see of it the more I'm thinking the whole game could be a bland, fundamentally misguided mess that's 'cinematic' in the worst sense of the word. Still kudos on the 2.35:1 though :)

Dark Souls 2 only tops at 30 FPS on consoles. Well ps3 on 360 its unlocked at 60 but never makes it past 40. it's pretty obvious from the lag on the controls.

Any game that cites David Cage as an inspiration sets off alarm bells for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Dark Souls 2 only tops at 30 FPS on consoles. It's pretty obvious from the lag on the controls.

There are very small pockets that run faster - I know I was surprised a few times when the frame rate shot up dramatically in visually undemanding areas.

• Advertisement

There are very small pockets that run faster - I know I was surprised a few times when the frame rate shot up dramatically in visually undemanding areas.

Hmm, seems its unlocked at 60 on PS3 as well, just never ventures above 40-45, sorry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement