Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 4 Or Xbox One? (See mod warning in the first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Can I use the PS Eye I bought for the PS3 on the PS4 if I ever get one? I picked up one of those wonderbook starter packs with the move wand and the ps eye for the kids in XtraVision for €20 the other day.

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

My bad, the PS4 camera isn't called the Eye. Just PS4 Camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

microsoft is winning the firmware update battle.....sony is just pathetic!

jenjenten wrote: »
    microsoft is winning the firmware update battle.....sony is just pathetic!

I never realised that firmware updates was now considered something that gamers use to rate consoles. Honestly may be the saddest thing I ever read. If happily take a firmware update every week if it went toward ensuring that my console ran as best it could.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Grayditch wrote: »
    With the reveal of this headset, there's a good chance the PS Eye will have a significant use sooner than the Kinect 2 will. That is mental.

If they can sell the headset at a very decent price it should be amazing. However I can see an issue that may effect the PS4 headset which effects the Kinect. Developers have to make content for use with such devices. We might see a few games that support it but will it be worth its price tag?

Since the VR headset wasn't bundled with the PS4 at launch its future will depend on the sales of this device. Like most people here I wasn't happy with Kinect being bundled with the XB1. I really like the Kinect now and hope its put to more gaming use rather than OS navigation and video.

At least if a developer decides to work Kinect use into a game they know every XB1 owner has it with their console. So I believe for the Sony VR headset to be successful its all about price. It needs to sell.

What would boards PS4 gamers be willing to pay for a VR headset?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

For a few gimmicky games. Nothing.

If it works with a new Fallout. Second mortgage (I don't have a first one).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Can I use the PS Eye I bought for the PS3 on the PS4 if I ever get one? I picked up one of those wonderbook starter packs with the move wand and the ps eye for the kids in XtraVision for €20 the other day.

That says that the Move controllers are compatable, but the PS eye isn't listed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Varik wrote: »
    That says that the Move controllers are compatable, but the PS eye isn't listed.

I presume the PS Eye would be the peripheral when it talks about Playstation Move and its peripherals.

I presume the PS Eye would be the peripheral when it talks about Playstation Move and its peripherals.

I'd take it as the plastic tennis rackets and swords.

Varik wrote: »
    I'd take it as the plastic tennis rackets and swords.

Yeah, you're right.

PS3 Eye isn't compatible.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Peripherals-Support/List-of-Compatible-PS3-Accessories-for-PS4-Updated-2-7-2014/td-p/40831841

• Advertisement

jenjenten wrote: »
    microsoft is winning the firmware update battle.

I think only you think that's a 'battle', to be fair.

I'd really have to see it working and functioning with games I liked, but I dunno if it'd be my thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I would only use the VR headset for something like an Elder Scrolls game, but it would need to be fully functioning and not need various patches and firmware updates to play different games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The lack of standardised APIs between the various headsets is disappointing. However, if Sony's solution supports the PC as well as the PS4, I would get one for €200-€300 (also dependent on games support etc.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I never realised that firmware updates was now considered something that gamers use to rate consoles. Honestly may be the saddest thing I ever read. If happily take a firmware update every week if it went toward ensuring that my console ran as best it could.

I don't remember my Snes, Megadrive or PS2 needing a firmware update, beyond the DVD one for the PS2, aside from that they worked as they were designed right out of the box.... ah the good old days...

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I don't remember my Snes, Megadrive or PS2 needing a firmware update, beyond the DVD one for the PS2, aside from that they worked as they were designed right out of the box.... ah the good old days...

But then the older consoles never added in extra features and apps and used firmware updates to improve the experience. The PS4 worked out of the box, it played games exactly as it was designed to. The firmware updates just add additional features which over the course of the PS3s' life cycle saw it really enhance the machine.

As much as I loved my Megadrive and Snes, I'm glad games have come along since then, despite all the complications.

Grayditch wrote: »
    As much as I loved my Megadrive and Snes, I'm glad games have come along since then, despite all the complications.

I'd take a dodgy game that will get patched over a game that's broken for all time.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

I remember when my jack in the box was designed to pop right out of the box. Ah the good old days of paddling, excommunication and Magdalene Laundries.

There's not much point in going over and over the annoyance of updates and patches in this day and age. It's the way it is. You have to abandon next gen gaming, or get on with it, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I remember when my jack in the box was designed to pop right out of the box. Ah the good old days of paddling, excommunication and Magdalene Laundries.

AH, you should look behind you, you might spot that point I made that you just missed ;)

But then the older consoles never added in extra features and apps and used firmware updates to improve the experience. The PS4 worked out of the box, it played games exactly as it was designed to. The firmware updates just add additional features which over the course of the PS3s' life cycle saw it really enhance the machine.

If only that were true.
    It seems that firmware updates are seldom there to offer more than the box states.
    Sometimes it's adding the features that are on the console packaging but they ran out of time to put into the initial release, essentially releasing consoles with beta firmware rather than the proper finished article, the WiiU and XB1 seem to be particularly fond of this.
    More often the updates my 360 and PS3 received were to plug security breaches, a lot on the PS3 it seemed.
    And sometimes, just sometimes it's to get rid of features, like the option to install Linux, again, on the PS3.
    The 360 had a handful of occasions when the updates changed the frontend of the device but, sometimes it took something that worked well and just changed it for the laugh it seemed.
    But the most capital feature of all these lovely updates is that an awful lot of them are obligatory on the part of the owner of the console, at least if you have any desire to use an online service again, despite offering little in the way of a return to the user for the update in the first place.

The older machines are not cursed by there relative electronic simplicity, far from it, rather there was no avenue for an easy fix to firmware after the console was manufactured, only a new release of the hardware could play host to new firmware, the solution? Make sure it's finished to begin with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Let's all stand up and give another round of applause for Sony
    Jointly developed by SCE and YoYo Games, a GameMaker:Studio-native solution for PS4 is now available free for all SCE-licensed developers, making it even easier for developers to bring their 2D games to the more than 6 million global PS4 owners. Developers of beloved games like Hyper Light Drifter by Heart Machine, Samurai Gunn by Teknopants, Risk of Rain by Hopoo Games, Home by Benjamin Rivers and Nuclear Throne by Vlambeer are now able to more efficiently convert their titles from PC to PS4 as of a result of GameMaker:Studio’s native export capabilities.

MonoGame makes up the C#-based open-sourced engine suite available for licensed developers, and was first used in the development of Matt Makes Games‘ acclaimed Towerfall: Ascension for PS4. In the coming months, MonoGame will also help bring Mercenary Kings (Tribute Games) and Transistor (Supergiant Games) to PS4.

We’re also announcing the release of SCE’s powerful game development tool Authoring Tools Framework as a free, open source download from the popular GitHub hosting site. SCE’s ATF is widely used within SCE to develop PS3, PS4, PS Vita and PSP titles such as The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

On the VR headset,im not willing to pay anything for it YET.

At this point its all speculation really about what it can and cant do,as usual some people will hype it a the second coming and some people will pan it,all this before we have decent information on it. Im happy to just wait and see

Im excited by it but im not willing to take out that second mortgage yet,i wanna wait and see how it turns out when we get more info. To compare it to kinect is premature and to also say it will be any better utilised than kinect would be premature imo also.

Good to see VR being developed by more than just one company(Oculus) imo as hopefully the tech will improve faster and be cheaper with more competition in the marketplace

Sony have said they're aiming for $250-300 for the headset, for that price I'd probably take the chance but then again is being demoed today and will likely be all over before release.

Somewhere, some when you'll get a chance to try it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

I wonder will Project Morpheus feature at E3? Or make an appearance at EGX? I hope so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Beware that virtual reality malarky.... :S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Did i read that Microsoft have patented something similar to a VR type of peripheral? Im sure its only a matter of time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Did i read that Microsoft have patented something similar to a VR type of peripheral? Im sure its only a matter of time

Yeah and they have looked into it moire and have decided that it can't work yet. It was basically a projector system with Kinect 2.0 added and acted like a holodeck type of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Beware that virtual reality malarky.... :S

I'd put more confidence into VR than the 3D malarky that still does not work great 30 years later. VR is really going places though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement