Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

I have a horrible feeling that if we went to internal selection it would just be Linda Martin and Louis Walsh et al who would be hand-picking a song....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

thelad95 wrote: »
    I have a horrible feeling that if we went to internal selection it would just be Linda Martin and Louis Walsh et al who would be hand-picking a song....

Oh Good God - Linda Martin needs to be removed entirely from it. She's stuck in a time warp of about 15 to 20 years ago. She hasn't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

NipNip wrote: »
    Oh Good God - Linda Martin needs to be removed entirely from it. She's stuck in a time warp of about 15 to 20 years ago. She hasn't a clue.

No she's not! She's hip and down with the kids Yo! :pac::D

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Sure remember on the Late Late she was saying Ireland should go straight through every year and all those pesky Eastern European countries should be the only ones who have to qualify :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    No she's not! She's hip and down with the kids Yo! :pac::D

Please don't do that again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Jesus can we take Johnny out of that Eurovision museum and leave Linda there permanently not singing/moving? :P

Linda Martin's performance of Get Lucky was the absolute zenith of Irish music. I don't know why we even try anymore, nothing will ever beat it!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

• Registered Users Posts: 16,504 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Ryan Tubridy on the radio now is just saying himself that the song selection process next year has to change and is wondering if "they" will keep it in the Late Late Show current format.

I hope not, it should never have been there in the first place.

Conchita is getting so much hate on the video of her performance in the final :(:mad: I really hate the people that live on this world sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Conchita is getting so much hate on the video of her performance in the final :(:mad: I really hate the people that live on this world sometimes.

is that ironic???

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Most of that can be put down to bitterness over their favourite not winning. It doesn't really matter anyway, Conchita won :)

Still very surprised that Austria won the jury vote as well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,935 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Deco99 wrote: »
    is that ironic???
    it's double something alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

One of the worst eurovisions ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

That's unfair to be honest. The standard this year was fantastic and the production values brought to the show from the Danish broadcaster were the best in living memory, if ever.

One thing I will say that was a trend of having subliminal political messages in songs.

Malta's was a tribute to soldiers who never make it home.

Icelands was about 'Let's do away with prejudice'

Hungary's was about domestic abuse.

and Conchita was conchita.

All of the above were fantastic songs about worthy causes but is the Eurovision the right place for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

For the 1st time ever I have found myself listening to songs after the Eurovision. The 2 I liked are
    Austria - Rise like a phoenix
    Ukraine - Tick tock

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

thelad95 wrote: »

I know people will disagree but I'd personally love to see it happen.

Louis Walsh has brought the most Eurovision success to Ireland, both long and short term. People can criticize this year but when Louis got involved a few years back and sent Jedward, we achieved our best rankings. In four years, he's managed to get us to the finals three times.

If we ever want to achieve anything in Eurovision, then the team behind the act are as important as the act themselves. If there's someone else that could take the reigns with his experience, fair enough. But this romantic notion that we should dump the experienced heads and just try to send a nice unknown with a nice song is foolish.

Personally, I'd rather hand Louis the money that would be saved through avoiding a long selection process, ask him to get a well known act, a well known songwriter and go nuts. No "Orisih" dancing and symbolism, no jumping through hoops impressing an audience who don't watch the competition, just whoever Louis thinks can put on the best performance with the best song, backed up by someone with multiple hits internationally.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Apparently Jedward would love to do Eurovision again.

I'm not 100% against this though I imagine the usual moaning will come out if that did happen. I find it quite surprising how against Jedward the Irish are considering that they did alright for us (and funilly enough of the two negative comments in that link, one was indeed Irish). I don't think that it'll happen though. I'm not sure if they're that good and we might want to try find some different acts.

I'm not 100% against this though I imagine the usual moaning will come out if that did happen. I find it quite surprising how against Jedward the Irish are considering that they did alright for us (and funilly enough of the two negative comments in that link, one was indeed Irish). I don't think that it'll happen though. I'm not sure if they're that good and we might want to try find some different acts.

I'm not overly against them going but I get the impression that the appeal has worn off with them. Also, what we've learned from the past few years is that the winning act needs to have great vocals. Sending a well stage memorable song will only get you so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,289 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It wasn't personal! I'm sure they were intelligent enough to figure that much out. Peaceful 'protesting' or expression of dissatisfaction with hostile behaviour and/or archaic brutal discrimination is fair game in my view. You have seen the youtube clip of what Russian military did to two peaceful protesters from Pussy Riot? If not, here you go:

WARNING: this video is extremely graphic and probably upsetting.

http://www.thejournal.ie/pussy-riot-sochi-1324316-Feb2014/

I heard that Marty Whelan called the booing "shameful". He's an idiot.

The crowd were booing because of Russia's ongoing takeover of Ukraine and their disgraceful homophobic anti-gay laws, not the singers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,504 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

There is only so long that grown men, which is what they are now (even if they still look 12) can go around acting like 10 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I heard that Marty Whelan called the booing "shameful". He's an idiot.

The crowd were booing because of Russia's ongoing takeover of Ukraine and their disgraceful homophobic anti-gay laws, not the singers.

They stopped booing later on. While people are entitled to protest, at whom do you protest. Is a talent show the place to do that? You don't know the girls opinions of Putin and his administration do they honestly be deserved to be booed?

I am not sure if the winning song won because it was good song or just a novelty? It might be 50/50.

Elmo wrote: »
    They stopped booing later on. While people are entitled to protest, at whom do you protest. Is a talent show the place to do that? You don't know the girls opinions of Putin and his administration do they honestly be deserved to be booed?

I am not sure if the winning song won because it was good song or just a novelty? It might be 50/50.

I'm still on the fence about the booing. While the girls don't deserved to be treated in such a manner, an international competition where they are there representing their country seems to be an adequate place to make a point. Possibly a silent protest would have made more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,289 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Elmo wrote: »

Exactly it was a few boos here and there. It's not really a big deal surely?

For every one person that liked Conchita because he was a man dressed in drag with a beard, there was thousands of haters out there that didn't even give her a chance.

So no, she won because she had a great song.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

For every one person that liked Conchita because he was a man dressed in drag with a beard, there was thousands of haters out there that didn't even give her a chance.

So no, she won because she had a great song.

I don't know I am still on the fence on that one, I am not sure about the song at all. It's okay, though I don't think much of Eurovision Songs.

I think the novelty factor has to be consider also, and to be honest I don't think the novelty factor is really a factor to consider in terms of any political cache that may come from such a winner and that is disappointing.

Though in saying that if it is a good song the novelty factor is moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ShaneMc2012

http://oikotimes.com/2014/05/12/greece-seriously-thinking-to-withdraw/

Although I didnt like their song that much this year I do think they bring the entertainment factor each year and it would be a shame to see them go!
    I heard that the three other possibly withdrawing countries are France, Azerbaijan and Russia. Being totally honest I won't be sad to see the back of either of the last two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I'm still on the fence about the booing. While the girls don't deserved to be treated in such a manner, an international competition where they are there representing their country seems to be an adequate place to make a point. Possibly a silent protest would have made more sense.

Everyone knows what booing means. It shows the people of Russia who dont have free media, that the west isnt happy with their Government. Silence could have been sold to listeners as something else like technical problems

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Oh I don't know. I've a new found appreciation for butter churning.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

I thought the standard was much better than usual by far. Some actually good songs in there for a change, I was a bit disappointed that switzerland didn't do better they were excellent. Poland deserved a better placing too as they were a big favourite with the televoters and put on a great performance in fairness, it was actually fun, upbeat and a very clever satire of the backwards stereotypes people have of Poland. Although many of the fun police disagreed and hated it because the eurovision is serious business and no place for such shenanigans. Austria were very good, wouldn't have had them winning myself but can't say it wasn't a good performance. Would love to have seen Switzerland win as stated or Norway and for Iceland to do well too as they were quite fun as well. Russia were unfairly booed in my opinion, I understand the point many are making here but if I recall correctly the song was quite good and performed by two 17 year old girls not Putin. I don;t think they will go back to Russia and change policies nor will Putin be worried that the eurovision audience booed some teenagers who happen to be from Russia. I doubt he was even watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

I can assure you that that's not true.

For one every breath you take is still one of the all time classic recognisable songs so the Netherlands' heavily plagiarised song will be memorable.

Advertisement