Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TNG run-through...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Greyjoy wrote: »
    I get that the writers were trying to comment on (then) present society but it was a common flaw for me in the early seasons of TNG when characters would discuss history they would act as if the 20th Century was THE WORST in human history.

Well, two world wars...countless millions killed...it kinda was the worst time period (to date) really.
    The survivors were flawed but were they really awful examples of humanity that would justify Riker's comment? Maybe if they had been a bunch of warlike savages that escaped World War III otherwise it was just a line of ridiculous over reaction. The housewife fainting was nothing more than an example of the fact that she came from a society without any alien contact. She reacted in shock, not bigotry or close-minded.

Again I think it was more the values/norms that stood out for Riker, & nothing personal. "Makes you wonder how we made it past the 21st century", reflects the notion that human values were so skewed, & contrary to 24th century values. Didn't Quark once state, "Now these humans I can understand" in relation to 20th century people (acknowledging their greed, desire for power etc).
    Now to be fair I thought the discussions between Picard & the stock broker were nicely balanced as they both made valid points (and the broker himself contributed to resolving the confrontation with the Romulans).

Yeah, the exchange between him & Picard was pretty good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

I'm on episode 5 of season 5. I'm farther behind than I thought. This episode is called silicon avatar. I don't think I have seen it before.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Worf is gold in that episode though

'You may now give birth'
    Just watch that episode.
    I hate anything to do with childbirth, but worf was funny

Season 6: Schisms. Great episode. Up next are two poor ones though, True Q & Rascals....shudder

next up for me is Unification part 1.

sidebar. Im making out a table quiz. any trek question suggestions. Im hoping some of the lads at work might be closet trekies.

• Advertisement

SarahBM wrote: »
    sidebar. Im making out a table quiz. any trek question suggestions. Im hoping some of the lads at work might be closet trekies.

This used to be a bit of fun - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056764381

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Myrddin wrote: »
    Season 6: Schisms. Great episode. Up next are two poor ones though, True Q & Rascals....shudder

"True Q" was such a forgettable episode - to the point that I had entirely forgotten about ever seeing it until you mentioned it, I had to look it up online to read what happened.

"Rascals" is a bit of a mixed bag for me - I thought the kid playing young Picard was excellent. It was amusing to see Picard attempt to carry out his role as a captain while stuck as a young boy. I also thought the double act he did with Riker as his "dad" was pretty funny and the shot of young Picard running his hand through his hair was a nice touch.

I hate Picard's uniform in S5.

Just thought I'd share that.

Rascals is ridiculous. Two B'rel class ships (the small scout class size, not the bigger K'vort type) attack the Enterprise. Riker does nothing, except get one phaser shot off, then spends what seems like five minutes listening to damage reports while the attack continues :rolleyes:

The takeover of the Enterprise did seem incredibly easy for the Ferengi. That part of the episode felt tacked on as if the writers just ran out of ideas and had something random happen.

The storylines of Ensign Ro & Guinan didn't go anywhere and the Keiko/O'Brien scenes were just weird and to be honest a wee bit creepy. I think the writers could have salvaged the story if they had focused the plot on Picard alone. Have him wrestle with the choice of getting a '2nd chance' and growing up again or returning to his normal age.

• Advertisement

Greyjoy wrote: »
    The takeover of the Enterprise did seem incredibly easy for the Ferengi. That part of the episode felt tacked on as if the writers just ran out of ideas and had something random happen.

It was terrible. It should have been maybe that the Ferengi discovered the crew-come-children in their shuttle after the accident, & imprisoned them on a Maurader. Then have the episode about the escape from that ship.
    The storylines of Ensign Ro & Guinan didn't go anywhere and the Keiko/O'Brien scenes were just weird and to be honest a wee bit creepy. I think the writers could have salvaged the story if they had focused the plot on Picard alone. Have him wrestle with the choice of getting a '2nd chance' and growing up again or returning to his normal age.

The Keiko scenes were definitely weird, & creepy.

Up to ep 12. Violations.
    I'm catching up, slowly but surely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Miles behind you lot - only started Season 2 today. Just finished Elementary, Dear Data.

The episode The Masterpiece Society.
    Very controversial topic !!! Trek was great at that. Making you think about such a hot topic as genetic engineering but in a very subtle way.
    If that was done today, it would probably be as subtle as a sledge hammer.
    They don't make sci fi like they used to.

The Outcast is another great episode. Although I think sometimes Ruler is such a ladies man, in this episode I felt like I saw another side to him.
    His relationship with Troi is so weird. He tells her he is seeing someone else, then they kiss. It's just funny.
    On to ep18 Cause and Effect.

On to ep 19. Tom Paris as a different cadet. Weird.

I, Borg!!!!

I love Borg episodes!!!!

Ep6 of S6. Data's Ode to Spot is a classic!
    I have been trying to decide my favorite character. I can't pick one.

Season 6: Chain of Command. After watching this last night, it's probably my choice of all time best ep of TNG. Utterly, utterly, brilliant.

Im on to ep8 fist full of Datas. not sure if I have ever seen this one!

Myrddin wrote: »
    Season 6: Chain of Command. After watching this last night, it's probably my choice of all time best ep of TNG. Utterly, utterly, brilliant.

Watching part 2 now!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Should probably wait an hour or so, so spoiler tag:
    THERE ARE. FOUR. LIGHTS

Always loved this episode.

Should probably wait an hour or so, so spoiler tag:
    THERE ARE. FOUR. LIGHTS

Always loved this episode.

I nearly screamed that!! Oh my god the Poor Captain!

And now Ship in a Bottle. Moriarty is back!!!

Approaching the end of Season 2 now - just watched "Up the Long Ladder". I found it cringey as a 12 year old and it doesn't fare any better 25 years later. Ugh, fuck off Hollywood.

Dair. wrote: »
    Approaching the end of Season 2 now - just watched "Up the Long Ladder". I found it cringey as a 12 year old and it doesn't fare any better 25 years later. Ugh, fuck off Hollywood.

Which one was that again?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

The Oirish episode.

46dc1-st151.jpg

:-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

The one with the "Irish" colonists - pigs, Aran sweaters, poitín. Roll on Season 3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I've watched the first four episodes in Season 2 now. I don't like Dr Pulaski because she's mean to Data :'( Of the first four I liked Elementary, Dear Data the best. It was a cool idea.

I have to say I'm.really enjoying this run through. A lot of eps I actually haven't seen.
    I hated Pulaski too. Although Crusher is probably one of my least favorite characters. I love Data. He is just brilliant.

• Advertisement

i didn't mind Pulaski that much. She at least had a bit more personality to her than Crusher who I found extremely bland. Having said that, her character was too obviously an attempt to recreate McCoy from the Original Series.

Advertisement