Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same Sex Marriage (Poll on The Journal)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I voted no and will do so in any referendum. Having read the thread, thats the end of my input as i believe its a topic that cannot be debated on boards without descending into abuse, and the shouting down of people with differing view points eg retarded which i find offensive.

Reminds me of this gem of a quote from Karl Popper;
    “Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society... then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them... We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant.”

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I wouldn't vote if I had to travel to do so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Proof of my point. Im out.

See; it's not that difficult getting through the closet door :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭R.F.

Why bother announcing your vote if you arent going to bother arguing it?

Its not a public vote, so you could have left it at that

Yeah but they always say its not that, I'd like to hear their side of it like. Plus I think there's a better chance of convincing people if you don't immediately dismiss their views and try to reason it out with them instead, and I think convincing people is important

We'll never know now; Joe's too afraid to give his reasons against gay marriage :( Tbh, I think he only came on this thread so he could make a dramatic flounce :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

old hippy wrote: »
    We'll never know now; Joe's too afraid to give his reasons against gay marriage :( Tbh, I think he only came on this thread so he could make a dramatic flounce :P

He was in no mad rush to take me up on my PM offer either for some reason :pac:

He was in no mad rush to take me up on my PM offer either for some reason :pac:

Probably thought you were going to ask for his hand. Or something. ;);)

Joshing aside, I do find it curious that some posters will attend a thread only to say that they are not allowed have their say :confused:

Methinks Joe knows deep down that his reasons against gay people getting married are quite ridiculous if held up to a modicum of scrutiny, hence the hasty exit, stage right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"I got my reasons but I ain't saying what they are because I know I can't back them up in reasoned debate. So peace, I'm outtie"

*Drops mic, walks off stage*

STICK IT TO THE MAN JOE!!!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭seenitall

Joshing aside, I do find it curious that some posters will attend a thread only to say that they are not allowed have their say :confused:

Methinks Joe knows deep down that his reasons against gay people getting married are quite ridiculous if held up to a modicum of scrutiny, hence the hasty exit, stage right.

I don't think it's anything self-aware as that. It's about giving the two fingers to the vast majority in this thread. You can bet he'd be happy to discuss his views if the majority were sharing them.

In other words, if he can't beat us, he most certainly won't be joining us! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41,005 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What is your point though?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭40now

What is your point???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

Attention seeking. Why else would someone say they've something to say but they're not going to say it?

It's icky, un-natural, wrong, scares the kids, end of society, gateway to marrying goats and is a divil to get the stains out?

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

My Vote is against same sex marriage.
    I don't believe in it, I think it's wrong, and I think it's wrong to bring up children with two daddies, or two mummies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭theblaqueguy

I would also vote against it

I don't believe in it, I think it's wrong, and I think it's wrong to bring up children with two daddies, or two mummies.

Why is it "wrong", though? Surely if a child has two loving parents, that's all that matters? I often wish I had a happy family, regardless of who was married to who.

Is it also wrong for single parent families to bring up children?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

It's icky, un-natural, wrong, scares the kids, end of society, gateway to marrying goats and is a divil to get the stains out?

This is his point. People who are opposed to it are immediately insulted. You can say what you want about those opposed to it, but not the other way around it seems.

I personally can't think of a single reason for gay people not to be allowed get married.

Is it important to me? No. Will I vote? No. Do I have more pressing issues I'm concerned about? Yes, so I'll reserve my energy for those.

Let the abuse commence. :rolleyes:

Is it also wrong for single parent families to bring up children?

No, I don't think it's wrong, but I think it's very unfortunate.

Why? We all know from other posts that you like the ladies and you have an enormous member, so surely you can't feel threatened by two people who love each other... :confused:

No, I don't think it's wrong, but I think it's very unfortunate.

Why? If the child is loved isn't that the main thing? Would you prefer the single parent to have a partner? Would the partner have to be straight?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

I'm not against gay marriage.

But I'd like a distinction between the different types of marriage be that hetro, same sex , polygamy or inter human -goat marriage.
    all with equal rights - I support them all.

However what i would really strive for is for the state(tax, inheritance etc.._) benefits of marriage to be extended to couple who choose to be dependant on each other but don't recognise the right of the church/state to validate their relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭theblaqueguy

Why? We all know from other posts that you like the ladies and you have an enormous member, so surely you can't feel threatened by two people who love each other... :confused:

because if there the only people left on the earth there will be no more babies because they won't be reproducing and the human race will cease to exist

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

because if there the only people left on the earth there will be no more babies because they won't be reproducing and the human race will cease to exist

Well have a little consideration and stop going around killing all the straight people then!

Why? If the child is loved isn't that the main thing? Would you prefer the single parent to have a partner? Would the partner have to be straight?

Yes, I would prefer the single parent to have a partner, and Yes, the partner would have to be straight imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

The blame for the against side cant all be laid at the door of the old and religious. I know of a good few people around my age (20) who wouldnt know what the inside of a church looks like but would still be against gay marriage just based on not liking the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

The blame for the against side cant all be laid at the door of the old and religious. I know of a good few people around my age (20) who wouldnt know what the inside of a church looks like but would still be against gay marriage just based on not liking the idea.

agreed.
    I have to admit that allegation of church loving is a fairly lazy accusation.

some people just don't want it and maybe don't have a reason other than that is how they feel.
    I would have a similar opinion on my peers (30s/40s) who a decent minority would vote against it not for religious reasons but just cos they're given a choice and pick x instead of y

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

You think that certain legal rights (e.g. eligibility to marry one of the Jedward twins*) should only be given to women and other similar legal rights should only be given to men.

You are sexists.

Do you agree that you are sexists?

If you don't agree that you're sexists, can you explain why gender-dependent legal rights isn't an example of sexism?

*no need to comment on my poor, yet arbitrary choice of males

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I'm totally in favour of it and it's one of the few instances I can hand on heart say I know I'm 100% right and those opposed to it are 100% wrong.

There is literally not a single good reason to be opposed to it. No matter if it's based in religion or if you simply don't like the idea of gays being committed to one another in an official capacity- either way your view is rooted in bigotry and hate.

Yes, I would prefer the single parent to have a partner, and Yes, the partner would have to be straight imo.

But what if the single parent is gay? You don't want him or her to bring up the children on his/her own. What's your solution?

• Advertisement

There have been gay people since the dawn of time. How are is the human race suddenly going to cease to exist? :confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement