Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same Sex Marriage (Poll on The Journal)

Options
  • 27-10-2013 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/poll-how-would-you-vote-if-there-was-a-referendum-on-same-sex-marriage-today-1149409-Oct2013/

I've seen this topic come up, and it seems to me a lot of people think that if it were put to a referendum, then it'd pass easily. I think it's ridiculous that peoples rights should be put to a popular vote... I also have always had skepticism it'd pass with ease.

Currently, the poll has 46% of people in opposition, 44% in favour, 6% wouldn't vote and 2% are undecided. Now, the way I see things, if attitudes were really markedly in favour, then the journal would be a shining example for where we'd see that borne out in polls.

I figured it'd be an interesting discussion, and also would be good to present the exact same poll as the one in The Journal to see how closely aligned the poll results are.

How would you vote if there was a referendum on same-sex marriage today? 1458 votes

In favour of same sex marriage
    0% 0 votes
    Against same sex marriage
    83% 1217 votes
    I wouldn't vote
    13% 190 votes
    I'm undecided
    3% 51 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Put a similar poll in The Sun, just to get in all sections of the population...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I think it's ridiculous that peoples rights should be put to a popular vote... I also have always had skepticism it'd pass with ease.

There's a bit in the newsroom where they say they're not going to be fair and balanced because it's stupid. If The US republicans said the world was flat, being balanced would be getting someone on to argue with them.
    Climate change is another example 97% of scientists agree that is is caused by man and is getting worse, but in discussions they always have someone to debate the other side.

This is even worse. It's a right bestowed on everyone except those of a different sexual orientation. And it's because some people feel queasy at the thought of two men having sex. Not so much about two women doing it for some reason.

These people are just wrong, both morally & logically

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Looking at the poll results, it's little surprise the conventional attitude is a take it for granted it'd pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Wow, I really didn't expect such high opposition. Really embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

What are the main arguments against it?

People should mind their own business, you've too much time on your hands if you're worrying about who other people are marrying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Religion I imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

People should mind their own business, you've too much time on your hands if you're worrying about who other people are marrying.

(Just to be clear, I'm in favour of gay marriage)

The reasons that people present when they're trying to pretend it's not because they're religious or homophobic:

Somebody think of the children :confused:

Next thing we'll be marrying goats :confused:

Friends will get married for tax reasons (same thing is perfectly possible now ffs)

It's icky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

It "redefines marriage" or "dilutes the purity of marriage" or something like that. Because we all know gay people are inferior and anything that suggests they might be equal to anyone else is to be opposed tooth and nail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

have no issue with same sex unions, marriage or otherwise.
    but to be honest, if put to the public in a referendum tomorrow, i couldn't see it passing. don't think ireland is there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Why does this have to go to a Referendum anyway? Just had a quick look through the Family and Marriage articles of The Constitution, and I cant see where it says marriage is between a man and woman. Plenty on spouses, person(s) and family, but with no mention to gender, apart from...
    2. 1° In particular, the State recognises that by her life within
    the home, woman gives to the State a support without which
    the common good cannot be achieved.

2.2° The State shall, therefore, endeavour to ensure that
    mothers shall not be obliged by economic necessity to engage in labour to the neglect of their duties in the home.

Doesn't say it has to be a woman though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Anyone, and I mean ANYONE who is against marriage equality has issues of their own. Someone else's marriage has absolutely no bearing on your own, and if you think it does, if you think it somehow lessens yours, then it mustn't have had that great a foundation to begin with. You need a much stronger basis for your marriage than mere exclusivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Grayson wrote: »
    This is even worse. It's a right bestowed on everyone except those of a different sexual orientation.

I wouldn't bring sexual orientation into the debate at all.

In Ireland, only women are eligible to marry me - men aren't.
    Your legal rights are assigned to you based on what your genitals looked like when you were born.

It's the most blatant sexism.

The constitution and laws should be completely gender-indifferent.

Some people are against same-sex marriage because they want civil marriage to be abolished completely. That's the only non-sexist anti-same-sex marriage view. I don't really have a view on whether we need civil marriage and all the tax implications that go with it or not. What's more important is that the list of people who a man is eligible to marry should be the same as the list of people who a woman is eligible to marry. Otherwise, sexism.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Feel free to copy and paste your replies from 3 months ago, not much has changed in the meantime.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056994904

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

Am, the people in the book were called Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

A Hugh voting demographic in Ireland is older people.Motivated by church and conservatism I doubt a lot of them would vote in favour of gay marriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭The Big Smoke

That journal poll really puts in perspective the ignorance of a large population of this country. ****ing depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

TheJournal.ie is very popular among the brainless though. I don't think the intention with it was for it to turn into another Sun, but it has become that.

God
    Abhors
    You

If you have the gay you get aids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭The Big Smoke

TheJournal.ie is very popular among the brainless though. I don't think the intention with it was for it to turn into another Sun, but it has become that.

Unfortunately, a vast amount of this country listen to what tabloids tell them.

• Advertisement

My asshole is just for sh1tting.

Banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

kneemos wrote: »
    A Hugh voting demographic in Ireland is older people.Motivated by church and conservatism I doubt a lot of them would vote in favour of gay marriage.

i don't doubt you have a point.
    But the idea of older people being conversative and younger people being liberal jsut isn't true,

plenty of prejustice in younger people under 50 - and a lot of them don't have the churches teaching as an excuse cos they're not religious.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't see why gay people shouldn't have the same chances as straight people to be trapped in loveless, miserable marriages.

I would vote yes, not because I'm in favour, rather, I have no objection to it.
    It's not really my place to foist my opinions over the happiness, legal status, etc of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Yes and no.
    I have no moral issue with same sex marriage, but personally I believe that the state has completely decimated and destroyed the entire institution of marriage altogether in recent years through various divorce laws and so on, so to be honest, although same-sex marriage would be the lesser of two evils, I'd actually much prefer if the state got out of the business of getting involved in people's relationships altogether and the institution of marriage was left to religion. All the state has managed to do is wreck it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

although same-sex marriage would be the lesser of two evils, I'd actually much prefer if the state got out of the business of getting involved in people's relationships altogether and the institution of marriage was left to religion. All the state has managed to do is wreck it.

Could you explain that? you've confused me a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Yes and no.
    I have no moral issue with same sex marriage, but personally I believe that the state has completely decimated and destroyed the entire institution of marriage altogether in recent years through various divorce laws and so on, so to be honest, although same-sex marriage would be the lesser of two evils, I'd actually much prefer if the state got out of the business of getting involved in people's relationships altogether and the institution of marriage was left to religion. All the state has managed to do is wreck it.

Do you not see that not having divorce IS itself the state getting involved in people's relationships? And by no sense is marriage a religious institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

If there is a referendum - I hope it's in parallel to another issue so more people will get out an vote.

I can see many people who would vote 'yes', assuming it will get passed and not bothering their asses to spend fifteen minutes going to the polling station.

This would give the god fearing Catholics / conservatives / bigots a lead in quashing the amendment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Yes and no.

Could never really understand how the institution of marriage is lessened by someone getting a divorce.
    Living together in misery surely makes a mockery of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

kneemos wrote: »
    Could never really understand how the institution of marriage is lessened by someone getting a divorce.
    Living together in misery surely makes a mockery of it?

You don't need a divorce to live separately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement