Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improvements at Ryanair

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

:D That advert is kind of freaky..he's a changed man alright!

I liked old O'Leary. It wasn't his personality that was really the problem (for some people) - it was the policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

O'Leary is deffo on the smoke or something. Pool tables and slides in the new offices.

http://www.independent.ie/business/ryanairs-new-headquarterssnooker-table-slide-lifesize-chessboard-for-new-it-employees-29961215.html

Hopefully its showing a change in the way they treat their staff overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

The new rule about only the first 90 carry on hand luggage being the limit is proving very unpopular and difficult to enforce, had a very nasty experience yesterday, a Ryanair guy was going through 4 check-in queues for 4 flights, but as no destinations were up, the passengers were all mixed, he was sorting out some and telling them they would have to put their hand luggage in the hold, this caused a large amount of people to get really pizzed off, some were panicking and in tears, some were F***ing ryanair out of it, it turned out to be the first 90 on board were allowed, it still ended up with several passengers having nowhere to put their bags, all these were taken away and put in the hold, it was NOT a happy flight, there was almost a fight over locker space, there is still much room for improvement... Even if you pay for a premier seat, there is no reserved locker space, so after paying extra, you can end up with no carry on bag, not too bad on a short hop but on a long trip, GGRRRRR....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

richie, was the problem folks putting coats, small bags and duty free above or was it full with nice square rolly bags that fit properly overhead?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

richie, was the problem folks putting coats, small bags and duty free above or was it full with nice square rolly bags that fit properly overhead?

It was clearly a matter of overhead locker storage space, when it was all filled, the remaining bags, luggage was removed to the hold... On this route passengers have been allowed to take a "duty free bag" long before Ryanair allowed it, but at that time it was stashed under the seats. (except for emergency door seats) I think that practice may now have been stopped...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

RichieO wrote: »
    The new rule about only the first 90 carry on hand luggage being the limit is proving very unpopular and difficult to enforce, had a very nasty experience yesterday, a Ryanair guy was going through 4 check-in queues for 4 flights, but as no destinations were up, the passengers were all mixed, he was sorting out some and telling them they would have to put their hand luggage in the hold, this caused a large amount of people to get really pizzed off, some were panicking and in tears, some were F***ing ryanair out of it, it turned out to be the first 90 on board were allowed, it still ended up with several passengers having nowhere to put their bags, all these were taken away and put in the hold, it was NOT a happy flight, there was almost a fight over locker space, there is still much room for improvement... Even if you pay for a premier seat, there is no reserved locker space, so after paying extra, you can end up with no carry on bag, not too bad on a short hop but on a long trip, GGRRRRR....

Okay so the first 90 pieces get to go in the overhead bins, were Ryanair charging the other 91+ etc. passengers to place their baggage in the hold or was it a case of the bins being full and the other passengers luggage being placed in the hold due to space shortage free-gratis?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,692 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Stinicker wrote: »
    Okay so the first 90 pieces get to go in the overhead bins, were Ryanair charging the other 91+ etc. passengers to place their baggage in the hold or was it a case of the bins being full and the other passengers luggage being placed in the hold due to space shortage free-gratis?

The don't charge for the hold, but its like buy priority boarding to get your bag on the aircraft.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

From Ryanair.com

CABIN BAGGAGE

One cabin bag per passenger* weighing up to 10kg with maximum dimensions of 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, plus 1 small bag up to 35 x 20 x 20 cms.
    Due to cabin space limitations only 90 cabin bags (55 x 40 x 20 cms) can be carried in the cabin, any remainder will be carried free of charge in the aircraft hold.
    Just to answer my own question, basically if they have no room they place your carryon in the hold without charge. To me this is a fair and sensible system, I have seen carryon luggage being a nightmare in that passengers try to take the kitchen sink on-board. This should help speed up boarding and make it less stressful and more civilised, the old system of everyone clambering for space in the bins and some passengers have even gotten injured with luggage falling upon them due to packed out bins.

Another Ryanair improvement this IMVHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

The new rule about only the first 90 carry on hand luggage being the limit
    There's nothing new or revolutionary here. Many a time I sat in LHR waiting to board a BMI flight and Aer Lingus passengers were having their hand luggage taken and placed in the hold due to there being limited room in the overheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭cullenswood

I welcome the allocated seating.
    Am a bit annoyed however as I paid for priority boarding for the family holiday before this was introduced. The priority boarding is now effectively pointless as we could have had seats allocated for free without it.
    We used to always get on early and take the back row (three young kids), but now it turns out we'd have to pay a bit more on top of the priority boarding fee to get these.
    I wonder could we get our priority boarding fee back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

I welcome the allocated seating.
    Am a bit annoyed however as I paid for priority boarding for the family holiday before this was introduced. The priority boarding is now effectively pointless as we could have had seats allocated for free without it.
    We used to always get on early and take the back row (three young kids), but now it turns out we'd have to pay a bit more on top of the priority boarding fee to get these.
    I wonder could we get our priority boarding fee back?

It was already announced that those that have purchased priority boarding prior to the introduction of allocated seating can select a regular seat for no extra charge. Go to mange your booking and see what options you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

I hear from a flight this morning that the allocated seating was a mess. No one realises that they have a seat and everyone queing up for ages. People sitting anywhere they want as usual.
    Looks liks its going to be quite a while before people cop on to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

adamski8 wrote: »
    I hear from a flight this morning that the allocated seating was a mess. No one realises that they have a seat and everyone queing up for ages. People sitting anywhere they want as usual.
    Looks liks its going to be quite a while before people cop on to it.
    Can you ask your contact if an announcement was made at the gate at boarding time reminding passengers about the new system and to actually look at their boarding passes to see what seat they are in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

dubdaymo wrote: »
    Can you ask your contact if an announcement was made at the gate at boarding time reminding passengers about the new system and to actually look at their boarding passes to see what seat they are in?

Was on the gatwick to dublin flight this evening and the allocated seats worked very well I.M.O,people still q'd up like if they were first on they would get better seats but a lot of people in the q never even knew that they had seat numbers until they where told over the intercom about the allocated seats and then looked at the boarding passes. They made an announcement before they got people to go on saying "people with front door tickets continue straight forward,people with rear door take the stairs and go for the rear door".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Was on the gatwick to dublin flight this evening and the allocated seats worked very well I.M.O,people still q'd up like if they were first on they would get better seats but a lot of people in the q never even knew that they had seat numbers until they where told over the intercom about the allocated seats and then looked at the boarding passes. They made an announcement before they got people to go on saying "people with front door tickets continue straight forward,people with rear door take the stairs and go for the rear door".

I see, so this will help speed things up, as previously most people almost always went to the front door regardless, so now half the people, roughly, should head for the back.

The only places it won't suit is where there is front door access only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

Looks liks its going to be quite a while before people cop on to it
    I have to say I laughed at that. Just goes to show how many people probably never fly anything other than Ryanair and don't pay much attention to the terms and conditions. No wonder you get so many complaints from the clueless and the ignorant.

Years ago I remember being on an Aer Lingus flight, business class too for the one and only time in my life. Two girls dashed in and took seats opposite to me. Eventually a man arrived. 'You're in my seat' he said. 'We got here first!' they said. Eventually two now rather red faced girls were hustled behind the curtain to the accompaniment of some rather coarse laughter.

I guess similar scenes will be going on until they get used to allocated seats.
    relaxed wrote: »
    I see, so this will help speed things up, as previously most people almost always went to the front door regardless, so now half the people, roughly, should head for the back.

The only places it won't suit is where there is front door access only.
    Never understood that. I always went for the back door and was safely sitting down in my seat while all the front door people were still queuing and falling over each other trying to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

roundymac wrote: »

This "too expensive" thing is rubbish. Cork Airport have come out and said to me that new routes at Cork pay ZERO charges in the first year then discounted each year after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Some of the new routes out of Shannon, Warsaw and Krakow were ex Cork routes which have transferred at Cork's expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭zone 1

cork seems to be in a right mess. knock growing shannon as well

• Advertisement

roundymac wrote: »
    Some of the new routes out of Shannon, Warsaw and Krakow were ex Cork routes which have transferred at Cork's expense.

They aren't losing any aircraft or staff at Cork due to this as the these routes are being replaced with more frequency on the summer destinations already at Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

folbotcar wrote: »
    I have to say I laughed at that. Just goes to show how many people probably never fly anything other than Ryanair and don't pay much attention to the terms and conditions. No wonder you get so many complaints from the clueless and the ignorant.

Years ago I remember being on an Aer Lingus flight, business class too for the one and only time in my life. Two girls dashed in and took seats opposite to me. Eventually a man arrived. 'You're in my seat' he said. 'We got here first!' they said. Eventually two now rather red faced girls were hustled behind the curtain to the accompaniment of some rather coarse laughter.

We're laughing at people and calling them ignorant for making mistakes in unfamiliar circumstances now, are we? How mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

They aren't losing any aircraft or staff at Cork due to this as the these routes are being replaced with more frequency on the summer destinations already at Cork

So it doesn't look good after the Summer Months?

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    So it doesn't look good after the Summer Months?

Ryanair had previously planned to use some of the brand new 737's to help start new routes at Cork from Sept+ but now who knows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

markpb wrote: »
    We're laughing at people and calling them ignorant for making mistakes in unfamiliar circumstances now, are we? How mature.
    Seriously what's your problem? Getting all upset on behalf of two people who in all probability tell the same story against themselves. It's just an anecdote.

Lighten up! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,101 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

had my first post 'improvement' experience with Ryanair yesterday. I have to say I was very impressed. From having the boarding card checked... greeted with a smile and by first name and politely advised that I should use the first set of steps. Friendly smiling engaged FAs asking people individually as they passed through the cabin if they wanted to purchase anything rather then just mumbling something and passing by (this was a 35 min flight to MAN). The assigned seating worked well. The loadfactor was about 90% and we started boarding 3 minutes ahead of schedule and were fully loaded with 10 minutes before scheduled push. Disembarking the staff again were friendly and thanked everyone with a smile... more of this and you might see more of my $$$$$$$

Also even though it was the company travel agent who booked the flight the website from what I can tell has been improved ten fold as regards ease of use... hopefully they will get a decent app developed to enable people to do mobile check in also I know its part of the plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Scabby woman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

This post has been deleted.

In fairness, she hasn't traveled yet. This can very simply be sorted out at the airport. Seems she went to the press first. Take personal responsibility woman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Growler!!! wrote: »
    In fairness, she hasn't traveled yet. This can very simply be sorted out at the airport. Seems she went to the press first. Take personal responsibility woman!

They made a whole news report out of it :D:D

Advertisement