Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improvements at Ryanair

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

IngazZagni wrote: »
    No! Please no! There is nothing more annoying for me than someone in front of me reclining their seat. I have quite long legs and my knees almost touch the seat in front as it is. If it was able to recline I would have to sit slightly sideways. I do agree that the seats could be more comfortable in general though.
    Yeah totally agree. Reclining seats on shorthaul aircraft are more hassle than they're worth. It's a positive for Ryanair that they don't recline IMO. I had to ask the lady in front of me to return her seat to its upright position as we came on to land this afternoon. I had my son on my lap.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

murphaph wrote: »
    The account/profile is on the way. Read it somewhere on their site. Think by end of April.

already done! booked flights friday and i was allowed to set up a profile - will come in useful as i use Ryanair.com about 60 times a year for flights.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

This months in-flight magazine also mentions that a new, improved mobile app and mobile ticketing is to come soon.

That is great, mobile ticketing is very convenient to use. I hope it also supports Apple Passbook like the Easyjet app does.

Previously O'Leary said he wouldn't introduce this (and account/profiles, etc.) as it doesn't save money.

But what this ignored and the reason that he seems to have changed his mind now, is that such features cost relatively very little cost to add, but it does:

- Make it easier to customers to buy tickets, thus they are more likely to buy tickets with you.
    - Customer stickiness, once you have set up an account/profile and installed the app, you are more likely to use them again in future as it easier then starting over with a new airline. Yes even if the other airline was slightly cheaper * there are many people who wouldn't bother with the cheaper option if the existing option was easier.

* How much cheaper depends on the person, everyone has a different understanding of the value of their time. €5 difference might mean nothing to a busy business man, but even he might think twice about €100 difference.

So such enhancements can end up being quiet profitable for Ryanair, while shockingly also being good for the customer, a win - win.

Interestingly I also read on another article that Ryanair is planning a frequent flyer programme. I wonder if it will be something like EasyJets Plus Card, which for a fee of £149 per year you get:

- Select any seat
    - Priority Boarding
    - Dedicated fast bag drop

While this is a little on the too expensive side IMO, I could see such a scheme being very popular with business travellers who frequently "commute" to UK/London.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,499 ✭✭✭✭L1011

bk wrote: »
    While this is a little on the too expensive side IMO, I could see such a scheme being very popular with business travellers who frequently "commute" to UK/London.

As Heathrow further degrades and connectivity to the other airports improves, this is a risk to both EI and BA - although EI themselves already serve Gatwick. Ryanair was always carrier of last resort in my previous workplace - current one involves too many trips to LPL for some staff to even try to ignore them though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

MYOB wrote: »
    As Heathrow further degrades and connectivity to the other airports improves, this is a risk to both EI and BA - although EI themselves already serve Gatwick. Ryanair was always carrier of last resort in my previous workplace - current one involves too many trips to LPL for some staff to even try to ignore them though.

Yup, I flew Ryanair to Gatwick over New Years. Gatwick was a pleasure to use, way nicer then Heathrow.

- Plane to train station is a pretty short walk (shorter then Dublin Airport!)
    - Separate speedy exit for Irish people
    - 30 minutes by train to my friends house (which I admit suits just me) and cost just £2
    - On the return security was nearly empty, through in less then 5 minutes!

A complete pleasure to use. With these new enhancements, I expect it will be difficult for many business people to ignore Ryanair. EI better watch out and have a plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Jhcx

Flying out today with them. There's no assigned seat on the boarding card.. wonder how it still works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Jhcx wrote: »
    Flying out today with them. There's no assigned seat on the boarding card.. wonder how it still works.

They won't have assigned seating to February.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

Google working with Ryanair on new system to "completely transform how consumers search for, select and buy airline tickets". It will blow sites like skyscanner and kayak out of the water.

O'Leary also says "In five years' time, everyone on Ryanair will be paying on their mobile"

Interesting times ahead.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/oleary-reveals-ryanairgoogle-plan-to-change-how-we-buy-tickets-forever-29907730.html

I look forward to this improvement. will really transform ryanair. im surprised that even till now they required paper. That Online boarding cards werent introduced the day such features were brought in. I know they're saying 5 years but thats a long time not to have introduced online boarding cards. Technology will surpass what we have and know now.

Wonder what gatwick will do though as they take the boarding cards on arrival. Rather than checking the passport.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Jhcx wrote: »
    .....I know they're saying 5 years but thats a long time not to have introduced online boarding cards. Technology will surpass what we have and know now. .....rt.

The quote above refers to payment method not onlione boarding pass.

• Advertisement

Tenger wrote: »

Even still payments as well are already in. theres a lot of things they could run through there app. but from reading the atricle it sounds like there going changing the way ryanair operates in mobile proccessing. i look forward to the change. finally means i can stop carrying money around with me.

Tenger wrote: »

Ryanairs inflight magazine mentioned that they have mobile eTickets coming with the new app soon.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Is there a date for the app to be released? Purely for selfish reasons, I'm flying with them in March and don't have a printer!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

From next year Both EI and BA will be using a new terminal for Irish flights! SO conditions will drastically improve! Passenger numbers to LHR have remained very strong and i believe they are on the rise on routes ex-Ireland. So LHR is certainly not further degrading, if anything the opposite is true! Although it must be said Gatwick has come on in leaps and bounds and is a fantastic airport to use. But i have numerous friends and relations in London and they do find Heathrow very convenient, and key to this is that they can travel all the way on the tube often without even having to change! So LHR will continue to be convenient and popular for those travelling to London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

sully2010 wrote: »
    Google working with Ryanair on new system to "completely transform how consumers search for, select and buy airline tickets". It will blow sites like skyscanner and kayak out of the water.

O'Leary also says "In five years' time, everyone on Ryanair will be paying on their mobile"

Interesting times ahead.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/oleary-reveals-ryanairgoogle-plan-to-change-how-we-buy-tickets-forever-29907730.html

I think it's a bit of a self-aggrandising spin from MoL. Google already has the capability to do that, and has had it since a few years ago with the acquisition of ITA Software. It's there, open to public. You can't buy on their site but that I presume is deliberate.

All he is talking about now probably is to open Ryanair's booking system (and pricing) to such software, I can see any other "revolution" in what he is talking about.

Locker10a wrote: »
    From next year Both EI and BA will be using a new terminal for Irish flights! SO conditions will drastically improve! Passenger numbers to LHR have remained very strong and i believe they are on the rise on routes ex-Ireland. So LHR is certainly not further degrading, if anything the opposite is true! Although it must be said Gatwick has come on in leaps and bounds and is a fantastic airport to use. But i have numerous friends and relations in London and they do find Heathrow very convenient, and key to this is that they can travel all the way on the tube often without even having to change! So LHR will continue to be convenient and popular for those travelling to London.

Considering the competence of the last terminal launch at LHR, I would consider you to be over-optimistic here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,642 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I have to say as a frequent user of Heathrow to/from Ireland I don't have the same view as you - I haven't found the experience as a user any worse at all.

As the other poster points out, EI will move to the new T2 later this year and BA will also move, possibly to T5, so things should look up.

lxflyer wrote: »
    I have to say as a frequent user of Heathrow to/from Ireland I don't have the same view as you - I haven't found the experience as a user any worse at all.

As the other poster points out, EI will move to the new T2 later this year and BA will also move, possibly to T5, so things should look up.

I used it frequently from 2006 to 2011 and then moved exclusively to Gatwick (when I can't justify LCY...). I found it to being going downhill at a phenomenal rate in terms of time taken to get through more than anything else.

I used it frequently from 2006 to 2011 and then moved exclusively to Gatwick (when I can't justify LCY...). I found it to being going downhill at a phenomenal rate in terms of time taken to get through more than anything else.

Well that is at complete variance to my experiences. I'm writing this whilst sitting in the lounge at LHR having spent no more than 7 minutes to get through security.

That was the longest it has taken in some time - wasn't helped by one gentleman being completely unprepared!!

I fly through here regularly and I have never had any problem with LHR as an airport per se.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

LHR terminal 1 for flights to/from DUB is a breeze. There's a 5-7 min walk to/from the gates but no security, easy access to bus station/taxi/underground.

The only issue I find is that when there's a weather disruption the flights get delayed very quickly with the congestion. Although I love the holding pattern which brings you down the Thames :-)

• Advertisement

LGW is pretty smooth too, although I find the security on arrival messy and I don't like their narrow departure lounges.

Gatwick express is great into the city too

Also, the fact that BA often use the large gate 8, negating the long walk to gates 77-90 is another positive step.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

Gatwick express is great into the city too

The Gatwick Express is a total rip-off. I always fly into Gatwick now for the football. I used to use the Express until I was informed that the regular service is normally 8 minutes slower, stops twice and is around half the price!

lambayire wrote: »
    The Gatwick Express is a total rip-off. I always fly into Gatwick now for the football. I used to use the Express until I was informed that the regular service is normally 8 minutes slower, stops twice and is around half the price!

yeh agreed, £18 single / £24 return can be more than the Ryanair fare from DUB-LGW
    southern trains is only £10 single / £15 return

both operate a train every 15 mins to Victoria

gatwick express is in in 30 mins but the southern train can vary from 30 mins to 50 mins depending.

<snip> duplicate post

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

the buses from the 3 london airports are all very decent and regular, as well as being only a fraction of the train costs!

Got the Terravision out to Stansted the last time i was in London, took about 50minutes and cost only £14.

What's most ridiculous about this all is that th eGatwick Express is operated by... Southern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Aestivalis

Wow this is actually fairly pleasant to watch. +1 for Ryanair. Great bunch of lads :pac:

Great video. its nice that he's promoting the company in a good light rather than the media. But they get 0 points from me for having allocated seating. I just means an extra cost on me to get my seat. and thats a negative. otherwise i so far like the improvements. although im bit confused about the website. they say its rolling out in April but we all know its already here.

• Advertisement

You don't HAVE to pay for a seat allocation, you'll get one at checkin even if you didn't.

I'm still waiting for one of the other people I know who've had as much trouble with FR as I have to use them again and report back well.

Advertisement