Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scariest game evrar!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Resident Evil and its remake had some nerve wrecking moments. ****ing Crimson Zombies been elite and faster if you didnt burn them scared the **** out of me.

I remember the one in the house in some corridor that had mirrors in the corners, was walking along , heard a door close behind me off screen, then fast pounding footsteps my reaction was something along the lines of "what was tha--OHMYGODRUNAWAY!!"

Or the first appearance of the Hunters in the original Resi, when you see an fmv scene of some...things POV legging it through the parts of the garden and house you were just in ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

krudler wrote: »
    I remember the one in the house in some corridor that had mirrors in the corners, was walking along , heard a door close behind me off screen, then fast pounding footsteps my reaction was something along the lines of "what was tha--OHMYGODRUNAWAY!!"

Or the first appearance of the Hunters in the original Resi, when you see an fmv scene of some...things POV legging it through the parts of the garden and house you were just in ...

Never finished the original on the ps1. ****ing spider hanging from the ceiling prevented me ever going near it again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Silent Hill 2... Feckin' terrifying!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

Thief Deadly Shadows and system shock being two horror highlights of mine. Notable mention to the first dead space...if you've surround sound you are in for a treak...or is that trick

Which Thief had the Cradle level? the third one? that was some creepy stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Daikatana, The Horror! ;)

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Condemned 2 had almost no scares.

I remember playing the 1st one, that game was not fun, I don't know why I pushed through it to the end, as it was so tense, and fecking scary.

The locker bit in the school, that was just awful, probably the best scare I ever got in a game. Also that house near the end out in the middle of no where, that was bad.

Honourable mention goes to Dead Space 1.

From my old PC game playing days, I would have to say the haunted sections of the Thief games are seriously atmospheric and know how to scare the crap out of you too.

That game is why I have such a fear of mannequins now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Definitely PS2. The HD version is an absolute travesty. At best it loses a lot of atmosphere due to the reduced fogging. At worst it looks outrageously bad due textures that were usually covered by alphas being clearly visible and looking horrendous.

I envy you playing it for the first time. In terms of story and writing there's not much that even comes close in videogames.

It's really really not that bad at all. I've played and finished SH2 countless times on the PS2 and played the PC version.

The remake issues were blown way out of proportion on release and most of the issues posted about didn't even make it into the final version. It is very playable. I would still opt for the PS2 version of course but if the remake is the only option you have it's still well worth the investment!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The first fear game.....enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Clive Barker's Undying.

I will never play that game again, howlers/screamers(?) scared the piss out of me.

see for yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

The dead space series. Gives me the heeby jeebys.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yup; Thief: Deadly Shadows. That game was pretty creepy start to finish, but Shalebridge Cradle was just ... *shudder* ... spooky and creepy & I completely wish I could play it for the first time all over again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth was a masterpiece of horror. Unfortunately, the middle section of the game was a textbook how-not-to-do-it lesson in FPS games. Shame that, but if you can power through that bit, it's a freaky, oppressive depressing dose of all-encompassing cosmic horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Fatal frame/ project zero 2 made me feel sick at points with fear. Still finished it though. Amnesia on the other hand... Took a "break" at the flooded place and never went back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Clive Barker's Undying.

I will never play that game again, howlers/screamers(?) scared the piss out of me.

see for yourself

Undying is really a masterpiece. Specially the first part in mansion. The Mirror trick made me jump of my pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I don't scare easily but I'm playing Project Zero 2 and it's given me a lot of scares. Really freaky game. The combat system is genius since you have to wait until the enemy is right on top of you and just about to attack to do any significant damage.

Agreed. Returned it as it creeped my wife and me out. I'm such a wimp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

outlast freaked the sh!t out of me like no other game before really creepy for its first few hours

silent hill 2 ,3 and 4 aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Sort of on topic. This fella doing a marathon of Horror survival games in october. Currently plaining RE Revalations. Very fun.

http://www.twitch.tv/dansgaming

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭jones

Yeah it was Deadly Shadows that level freaked me out big time playing it at night with surround sound up nice and loud YOWSER! I wonder will the new Thief be any use

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Sort of on topic. This fella doing a marathon of Horror survival games in october. Currently plaining RE Revalations. Very fun.

http://www.twitch.tv/dansgaming

Heh, my plan was to get a few of the lads on Twitch and nominate one person to play the spooky game while we all laugh at him on TeamSpeak.

• Advertisement

jones wrote: »
    Yeah it was Deadly Shadows that level freaked me out big time playing it at night with surround sound up nice and loud YOWSER! I wonder will the new Thief be any use

That's the one, abandoned orphanage and decent headphones do not a pleasant gaming experience make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Jaysys lads, I can't even play luigi's mansion!

.... Last of us might not compare to ps2 silent hill but it's definitely got some frightening moments in it. Worth a mention at least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

The first fear game.....enough said.

really? not nearly as scary as Amnesia, good and atmospheric, but was lacking.

Good game, all being said though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Sarky wrote: »
    Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners Of The Earth was a masterpiece of horror. Unfortunately, the middle section of the game was a textbook how-not-to-do-it lesson in FPS games. Shame that, but if you can power through that bit, it's a freaky, oppressive depressing dose of all-encompassing cosmic horror.

The hotel chase was great but the truck escape bit was broken. It was just luck getting through. It had great nods to loads of Lovecraft stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

jones wrote: »
    I wonder will the new Thief be any use

No.

No Stephen Russell, nothing that made the original 2 games so good.

The Cradle was a great addition to the 3rd game, it really saved it I think, it was a let down compared to the first 2, but The Cradle is an amazing level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Always thought STALKER was a really freaky game. Could never play it because of this. Those lightning storms bursts were freaky!!

No film would scare me but some games freak me right out. Bioshock was one too

• Registered Users Posts: 34,461 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I've mentioned it to death at this stage, but Alone in the Rift made scream, tear the Rift off my head and almost break my laptop in the process.

I almost strangled myself with my headphone cable too :(

Skip to 5:52 if you want to see the terror :D (bit of a spoiler though)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The missus is scared schitless of Limbo :D

Imagine playing Amnesia on the Occulus rift :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,489 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah Resident Evil 1 for me. The music, sound effects, the dog jumping through the window, just a brilliant horror atmosphere. Survival Horror is on the decline as big devs aren't making much money from it but hopefully The Evil Within can turn that around.

Theres a horror game sale on PSN at the moment if anyone is interested.

Resi 4 HD for 11.99 is very very tempting.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/horror-sale/cid=STORE-MSF75508-HORRORSALE

Advertisement