Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scariest game evrar!

Options
  • 23-10-2013 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭

I am a total wimp, but Halloween is coming up so what is the scariest game ever made ever ever?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Amnesia: The Dark Descent would have to be no 1 for me. Absolutely **** your pants scary, and i can never handle more than 20 minutes of it when i'm on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Kiith wrote: »
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent would have to be no 1 for me. Absolutely **** your pants scary, and i can never handle more than 20 minutes of it when i'm on my own.

Outlast is pretty good, better graphics too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

As someone who has played Amnesia, I can tell you that Slender: The Arrival is handsdown the most terrifying "don't make me open that door ohmygodwhatwasthatinthewindow" game I've ever played.

I think Amnesia has better actual gameplay, but for sheer terror you can't beat Slenderman.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Slenderman!

free as well

have a look at people playing this

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Skerries wrote: »
    Slenderman!

free as well

have a look at people playing this

This is the prequel to the one I linked. It's fun/terrifying in its own right but the sequel is a much more substantial game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

System Shock 2 spooked the bejaysus outta me and Clive Barker's Undying was total goosebumps all the way. First time I played Half Life 2 was in a dark room with headphones and there were plenty of jumpscares.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Yeah, I've finished SS2 already though. Creepy more than outright scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

On Halloween, it used to be the Ravenholm level of HL2 for me, until I discovered Amnesia. Slenderman seems brilliant though, I'll be giving that a go this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dead Space 1 and 2 are great games. They have jump scares, but the thats not the only thing that games uses to make you poop yourself. The surroundings are freaky with great background sounds. Best horror survival game I played since.... Classic RE and Silent hill old Series.

Dead Space 2 can be blamed to be more actiony, but dont be fooled by it. Dead Space 2 has some fantastic places, which will make your hair stand. They added few fantastic enemies, which will creep you out to hell. In away I liked Dead Space 2 even more, but not for its action. I just like when you can explore "civilian" environment in games, not just Battlebrounds or engineering bays etc.

Amnesia is being tossed around as good survival game. Check it out. I personally did not got a kick from it in Horror survival way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Alien vs Predator 2, the Marine campaign. Fairly sure a little wee came out at one stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

It's old but Forbidden Siren 1 or 2 for the PS2 (if you have one) is a classic scare for me. There is also Siren: Blood Curse for PS3 if you have that as well. The Siren series always terrified me.

Logo.jpg

forbidden-siren-21.jpg?w=450

Condemned had some downright scary moments. Too bad Condemned 2 was a bit of a let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Condemned had some downright scary moments. Too bad Condemned 2 was a bit of a let down.

I only played the demo of Condemned and it was scary. Also found Doom 3 scary, playing it in pitch darkness with headphones on was awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Condemned is a good shout, on decent headphones it was brilliant. Same with Dead Space, the 2nd game not so much as it's more action-y but the first has atmosphere by the bucketload.

Silent Hill 2 for me, it's not constantly scary but the entire thing just gets under your skin brilliantly. It's absolutely haunting from the opening and has some stunning monsters and sound design. It's also one of the best adult themed games ever, dealing with guilt, sexuality and psychological damage like no other game since.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I don't scare easily but I'm playing Project Zero 2 and it's given me a lot of scares. Really freaky game. The combat system is genius since you have to wait until the enemy is right on top of you and just about to attack to do any significant damage.

Guys, sort of on topic: Which Versions of Sillent hill 2 and 3 are better? HD remake or original PS2 ones?

I heard that remakes are not great and some of the graphic features like fog were removed from a remake.

So any idea?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Definitely PS2. The HD version is an absolute travesty. At best it loses a lot of atmosphere due to the reduced fogging. At worst it looks outrageously bad due textures that were usually covered by alphas being clearly visible and looking horrendous.

I envy you playing it for the first time. In terms of story and writing there's not much that even comes close in videogames.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Condemned 2 had almost no scares.

I remember playing the 1st one, that game was not fun, I don't know why I pushed through it to the end, as it was so tense, and fecking scary.

The locker bit in the school, that was just awful, probably the best scare I ever got in a game. Also that house near the end out in the middle of no where, that was bad.

Honourable mention goes to Dead Space 1.

From my old PC game playing days, I would have to say the haunted sections of the Thief games are seriously atmospheric and know how to scare the crap out of you too.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Definitely PS2. The HD version is an absolute travesty. At best it loses a lot of atmosphere due to the reduced fogging. At worst it looks outrageously bad due textures that were usually covered by alphas being clearly visible and looking horrendous.

I envy you playing it for the first time. In terms of story and writing there's not much that even comes close in videogames.

I played SH3, but due to me being little scary pantsy I never finished it back in the day. I never played SH2, so thats going to be a treat.

Cheers retro, Ill try to hunt down ps2 versions. God bless my Phat ps3 :D

Guys, sort of on topic: Which Versions of Sillent hill 2 and 3 are better? HD remake or original PS2 ones?

I heard that remakes are not great and some of the graphic features like fog were removed from a remake.

So any idea?

the PS2 ones hands down, I was going to get the HD ones but imo the "lesser" graphics on the original version actually add to it, when it's too clear and shiny it loses a lot of the impact. It's genuinely one of the best games ever made too, would love to play it again for the first time, the sound design is amazing in it. if there's a CEX near you I saw copies of both in the ps2 section recently so they might have them in a few stores.

• Advertisement

I played SH3, but due to me being little scary pantsy I never finished it back in the day. I never played SH2, so thats going to be a treat.

Cheers retro, Ill try to hunt down ps2 versions. God bless my Phat ps3 :D

SH3 is really gorey but then again it's all about pregnancy and birth which are quite messy and gorey unlike the Hollywood version :)

SH2 can be scary but it's more the overall atmosphere from the game. Prepare to feel awful afterwards, the story it tells is a wonderful slice of depressing.

The wonderful thing about SH2 (and 1 and 3 to a lesser extent) is that everything feeds into the story, even the visuals and enemy design are all part of it. It's just a wonderfully complete and coherent vision by the designers. It really bugged me when they brought Pyramid Head into the Silent Hill films considering what he represents in SH2, they really had not got a clue what they were doing and didn't understand the significance of that character, if they did they wouldn't have used it.

I was listening toa podcast with Jeremy Balustein (localiser of MGS and Silent Hill 2 and helped with the writing). It's so funny hearing him talk about the guy who wrote the story for SH2. He sounded like the creepy kid in the class/workplace that was most likely to go on a columbine style killing spree :) He freaked Jeremy out something fierce.

It really bugged me when they brought Pyramid Head into the Silent Hill films considering what he represents in SH2, they really had not got a clue what they were doing and didn't understand the significance of that character, if they did they wouldn't have used it.

Grr, yes, this. He was stuck in there as fan service and nothing more. The first film was a hodgepodge of the first two games anyway but the second movie he has no reason to be in there. It's bloody terrible too, the acting is appallingly bad in it, for some reason when Sean Bean doesn't have to use his natural accent he forgets how to act. They got the look of the games right at least though. And the final scene of the sequel is pretty cool, nice nod to the next game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Resident Evil and its remake had some nerve wrecking moments. ****ing Crimson Zombies been elite and faster if you didnt burn them scared the **** out of me.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    SH3 is really gorey but then again it's all about pregnancy and birth which are quite messy and gorey unlike the Hollywood version :)

SH2 can be scary but it's more the overall atmosphere from the game. Prepare to feel awful afterwards, the story it tells is a wonderful slice of depressing.

The wonderful thing about SH2 (and 1 and 3 to a lesser extent) is that everything feeds into the story, even the visuals and enemy design are all part of it. It's just a wonderfully complete and coherent vision by the designers. It really bugged me when they brought Pyramid Head into the Silent Hill films considering what he represents in SH2, they really had not got a clue what they were doing and didn't understand the significance of that character, if they did they wouldn't have used it.

I was listening toa podcast with Jeremy Balustein (localiser of MGS and Silent Hill 2 and helped with the writing). It's so funny hearing him talk about the guy who wrote the story for SH2. He sounded like the creepy kid in the class/workplace that was most likely to go on a columbine style killing spree :) He freaked Jeremy out something fierce.

Just bough SH2 and SH3 for PS2 for 12eu. Now lets play a waiting game! It will give me time to buy a bulk of fresh underwear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Mr Bloat wrote: »
    On Halloween, it used to be the Ravenholm level of HL2 for me, until I discovered Amnesia. Slenderman seems brilliant though, I'll be giving that a go this year.

That's the one alright. I got a fancy new soundcard with surround sound. Playing that with the surround sound I regularly had to stop for fear of heart trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Just bough SH2 and SH3 for PS2 for 12eu. Now lets play a waiting game! It will give me time to buy a bulk of fresh underwear.

Best Money well spent if i do say so myself , Sh2 is one of my fav games of all time, make sure to play the first game before you jump into 3 though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I must download Dead Space 3 for halloween. Might give Outlast a try too. Have never bothered with those first person walkers but Outlast looks really unsettling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

For anyone who's a giant wuss like me, I found the FEAR games nicely creepy - about as much as I can take, really. Tried playing Silent Hill years ago and had to turn it off, had one of those moments where I just wanted to grab the playstation and throw it out the window. I enjoy watching reaction videos of Slender Man and Amnesia, but I just cannot play them myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was about to ask how the Fatal Frame/Project Zero games were since the second one was released on Wii?

Also how is Silent Hill Shattered Memories on Wii?

I remember playing Dead Space and the fear was all about what could happen and glimpses more than anything else. Hear a noise somewhere. See something scurrying away at the end of the corridor and I think it's the only game that can make you afraid to move simply because you see a vent up ahead. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I picked up Sir, you are being hunted in the steam sale. Not a horror but a good tense atmosphere.
    Also Vampire Bloodlines the haunted hotel bit.

Advertisement