Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scariest game evrar!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Ah Resident Evil 1 for me. The music, sound effects, the dog jumping through the window, just a brilliant horror atmosphere. Survival Horror is on the decline as big devs aren't making much money from it but hopefully The Evil Within can turn that around.

Theres a horror game sale on PSN at the moment if anyone is interested.

Resi 4 HD for 11.99 is very very tempting.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/horror-sale/cid=STORE-MSF75508-HORRORSALE

I heard it was a bad HD remake too...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

o1s1n wrote: »
    I've mentioned it to death at this stage, but Alone in the Rift made scream, tear the Rift off my head and almost break my laptop in the process.

I almost strangled myself with my headphone cable too :(

Skip to 5:52 if you want to see the terror :D (bit of a spoiler though)

He has such a radio voice, it's awesome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I heard it was a bad HD remake too...

I heard the opposite. They actually put some work into the HD remake and it's based on the GC/Wii code so it's not as bad as the PC port.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Silent hill 2. As already said.. I had just got a new surround sound system... And woww.... but the story.. And the ending.. Wow again... As Depressing as it is brilliant...spoiler below...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA6rAU5DAoo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Ah Resident Evil 1 for me. The music, sound effects, the dog jumping through the window, just a brilliant horror atmosphere. Survival Horror is on the decline as big devs aren't making much money from it but hopefully The Evil Within can turn that around.

Theres a horror game sale on PSN at the moment if anyone is interested.

Resi 4 HD for 11.99 is very very tempting.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/horror-sale/cid=STORE-MSF75508-HORRORSALE

This!! I would have been young enough around the time Resident evil came out. My brother had been playing it and he is hard of hearing so had the telly up full blast. I came in and he gave me a go. The dogs smash through the window with the tv up full, scared the bejesus out of me.

I still get goosebumps when I hear 'Resident Evil' from the title screen!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Ah Resident Evil 1 for me. The music, sound effects, the dog jumping through the window,

This is when I stopped playing and never ever played that game again.

(Until recently at a friends house :D )

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I heard the opposite. They actually put some work into the HD remake and it's based on the GC/Wii code so it's not as bad as the PC port.

weird, I heard RE4 Remake was quite not great. It was not as bad as SH remake, but it was not great and older versions were more superior.

That PSN sale is really tempting with so many RE games. I almost got Veronica X for ps2 for 6eu. I played that far in, but never finished too. that was more due to issues IRL, not that it was too scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The RE4 HD version wasn't great, plenty of reviews talking about it, I bought it and thought it was OK. The PC Port of RE4 was horrific at launch, but it was improved hugely with patches and mod to be an excellent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Resident Evil by a country mile!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

The RE4 HD version wasn't great, plenty of reviews talking about it, I bought it and thought it was OK. The PC Port of RE4 was horrific at launch, but it was improved hugely with patches and mod to be an excellent one.

I didt get those reviews whats not great its resi4 in 720p widescreen
    people expect too much from those HD ports thats all they are

they can only do so much with the old textures personally it plays very well
    and looks great for a game that 8years old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Silent Hill 3
    the mirror room freaky sh!t the room locks and blood is coming out of the bathtub on the other side of the mirror Jesus the first time i experienced that was insane soo creepy for a game to mess with the level design like that think it was the first time I experienced anything like that

Silent Hill 2
    when pyramid head is chasing james and maria down the endless hallway and maria gets caught

Silent Hills 1-4 had really strong dark emotional scares that always stuck in my mind for hours/days afterwards

whereas Resident Evil1-4 were the BAM JUMP and move on kind except for the remake thats the only one I felt tried to be truly dark and terrifying

biggebruv wrote: »
    Silent Hill 3
    the mirror room freaky sh!t the room locks and blood is coming out of the bathtub on the other side of the mirror Jesus the first time i experienced that was insane soo creepy for a game to mess with the level design like that think it was the first time I experienced anything like that

Silent Hill 2
    when pyramid head is chasing james and maria down the endless hallway and maria gets caught

Silent Hills 1-4 had really strong dark emotional scares that always stuck in my mind for hours/days afterwards

whereas Resident Evil1-4 were the BAM JUMP and move on kind except for the remake thats the only one I felt tried to be truly dark and terrifying

These are games I'm looking to play meow, so less of the spoilers plx.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,825 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

biggebruv wrote: »
    I didt get those reviews whats not great its resi4 in 720p widescreen
    people expect too much from those HD ports thats all they are

they can only do so much with the old textures personally it plays very well
    and looks great for a game that 8years old

I just read about it there. The problems are the same as with the Silent Hill Collection. It's not really about old textures but more that they dialled back the alpha texture atmospheric effects and lighting compared to the Wii and GC versions that make it worse. These severely affect the atmosphere and visuals meaning it's a far uglier looking game than the Gamecube original (although better than the PS2 port which was much worse in this regard).

Peoples problem with these ports is that they look worse than the older games because of cheap developers cutting back on graphical features present in the older games. It's lazy and cheap and if Blue Point can do it with the GoW and MGS collections then there's no excuse for this laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

krudler wrote: »
    Imagine playing Amnesia on the Occulus rift :eek:

Nononononononono

I tried to play that game but I only lasted about 15 minutes and I had to turn it off. Even Skyrim scares me sometimes!

The early days of Dayz when it was dark and you only had flares was quite nervy as well.

Arrived today. My Halloween fix is sorted for 12eu. :) Need to Wait for darkness now.

DSC_0156_zps3a6ca5a3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

The first fear game.....enough said.

I was going to post that...scared the pants off me...and I enjoyed it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Arrived today. My Halloween fix is sorted for 12eu. :) Need to Wait for darkness now.

Ooh you got the 2 disc SH2, wait until you finish it them watch the Making Of doc on the second disc it's brilliant. I really regret selling my copy years ago must track it down again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

I often wonder why people subject themselves to horror games multiple times - replaying a game, I mean. I usually find the one time to be stressful enough. People putting themselves through a game like STALKER more than once, even though that series is probably in my top ten, I don't quite share the same mentality.

Resident Evil 2 was the first survival horror I played through to the end, I think. What a game and good memories of playing that in the dark December evenings of 1998 with my best friend at the time as we took turns negotiating the rooms, corridors and labyrinth in, and below, that police station. Stand out scares were, of course, the Tyrant bursting through the wall unexpectedly at various points and watching one of your wounded, dying compatriots turn before your very eyes.

Scariest moment in a scary game would have to be, well, it would have to be not so much a moment but night time in the STALKER games can be a harrowing, white knuckle experience that makes your skin crawl. You do not want to find yourself in the zone badlands at 2AM, as it can be like starring in your very own version of the Blair Witch Project as noises that you can't pinpoint emanate from all around you and you daren't shine that flash light for fear of giving away your position to whatever's lurking but what's worse is that you get the feeling that whatever's out there can sense you anyway, so you run and run until either death comes, day breaks or you get to a base. Fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

briany wrote: »
    I often wonder why people subject themselves to horror games multiple times - replaying a game, I mean. I usually find the one time to be stressful enough. People putting themselves through a game like STALKER more than once, even though that series is probably in my top ten, I don't quite share the same mentality.

Less scary on the 2nd playthrough usually though, same as horror movies, more you watch them the less scary they get. First time I saw the Exorcist it scared the bejesus out of me, now it's one of my favourite films and I'd watch it not a bother as I know it back to front.
    It's still creepy but not knowing what to expect is what makes horror scary. What you imagine is always way scarier than what you see, it's why something like (recent example) The Conjuring worked so well, it's all sounds, or lack of, which build the tension not monsters diving out of walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

krudler wrote: »
    Less scary on the 2nd playthrough usually though, same as horror movies, more you watch them the less scary they get. First time I saw the Exorcist it scared the bejesus out of me, now it's one of my favourite films and I'd watch it not a bother as I know it back to front.
    It's still creepy but not knowing what to expect is what makes horror scary. What you imagine is always way scarier than what you see, it's why something like (recent example) The Conjuring worked so well, it's all sounds, or lack of, which build the tension not monsters diving out of walls.

What makes horror scary, to me, is the atmosphere it creates and when you play a game, you're closer to experiencing that atmosphere first hand since it's an interactive experience. It's not so easy to look away and disassociate yourself. If you do, maybe your character dies and you have that frustration on top of the scare.

I, too, can watch and enjoy the exorcist with no real ill effect but I certainly wouldn't be up for playing through a game based on it multiple times, no matter how good it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,156 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Was Metro 2033 scary or am I just a wimp?

MadYaker wrote: »
    Was Metro 2033 scary or am I just a wimp?

As scary as STALKER, so yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

DSC_0156_zps3a6ca5a3.jpg

nice garden furniture, I have the same one :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Eternal Darkness on the Gamecube had a pretty strange atmostphere to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I definitely agree with Project Zero/Fatal Frame 2. It made me want to cry in parts. That damn dollmaker's house! It had a great story as well which made me want to finish it. The first game was good too, but the second was perfect in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The Path (PC) rumbled me lots. It's a modernized telling of the old Flemish tales of Little Red Riding Hood. No combat, running screws you and you can really tell what's coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I've taken inspiration from this thread and I've been playing Dead Island which I had heard a few negatives about but I'm really loving
    I have one major issue with the game is that it is very easy for weapons that you have either paid for or found and upgraded to be lost due the way new weapons are added to your inventory and also when I threw my 4 top weapons at a Thug only for them to disappear on me
    but other than that it can be nerve wracking when you have 4-5 walkers descending on you and you are out of stamina to kick them away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Condemned 2 had almost no scares.

I remember playing the 1st one, that game was not fun, I don't know why I pushed through it to the end, as it was so tense, and fecking scary.

The locker bit in the school, that was just awful, probably the best scare I ever got in a game. Also that house near the end out in the middle of no where, that was bad.

Scared the bejesus out of me but then again, I'm a wimp when it comes to horror games. The doll factory, that level with that weird black slime everywhere, the bear chase and those guys with big holes in their heads. All of it freaked me out.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Scared the bejesus out of me but then again, I'm a wimp when it comes to horror games. The doll factory, that level with that weird black slime everywhere, the bear chase and those guys with big holes in their heads. All of it freaked me out.

Did you play #1?

Managed to get Outlast. Tried playing it and had to stop. Game is so creepy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Kicking off Halloween with a bang I thought it be cool to hear peoples most frightening moments in games that once made you or still to this day makes you feel ery , scared and downright traumatizing :D.

Games for me that come to mind are:

Sonic the hedgehog

From the very moment I picked up a gaming controller I hated water levels and sonic the hedgehog is to blame for this. the moment you step foot in the water and stay there for too long the music kicks in, and you fight your way to robotniks robots, dodging spikes and hitting switches that block your path just to fight bubbles to get air traumatized me as a kid and to this very day i resent footing in the bottom of the water in any game :S

Resident evil

127348-resident-evil-windows-screenshot-two-spiders-spitting-acid.png

I must of been 8 or 9 the first time I experienced Resident evil on the ps1, I remember going into a room and coming out and seen these giant ****ers on the ceiling , admittedly paused the game and led out a high pitch scream.

Silent hill

I remembered my cousin having a copy of it that he let me borrow. This is probably the quickest ever game I ever turned off because of the horror I went through. I thought it be a good idea to play this in the dark with the window open and while harry was chasing his daughter cheryl in the snowy streets on silent hill which led you into the dark alleys where suddenly things got dark and downright scary as **** , in perfect timing when harry was getting killed by the creatures in the alley my door slammed shut and I turned it off the ps1 straight away and gave the game back to my cousin.

Funny looking back at things now on how things felt so real, these games shaped me up to the person I am now....A coward!!! :pac:

Advertisement