Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum Alcohol pricing to be signed into Law

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I don't know, if people think that a bottle of can for €1 or less is not cheap I've no idea what they expect. For it to be cheaper than the water itself used to make it?

Yes, a 50cl can at 1 euro is cheap for Ireland, and for what Irish people are used to.

But it is not cheap compared to many EU countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

L1011 wrote: »
    What exactly is your difficulty in explaining why you think Ireland is not expensive?

You've twisted, turned and evaded every way possible. Answer the question.

I've clarified on numerous occasions that I'm talking about the off trade, where you can get a bottle or beer for €1.

I also never said Ireland is cheap for alcohol, I've always said, from the beginning, that you can get cheap alcohol in Ireland.

I have to be asked a question first in order to try twist and evade it.

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes, a 50cl can at 1 euro is cheap for Ireland, and for what Irish people are used to.

But it is not cheap compared to many EU countries.

And that's a good part of my point. I've never once said it's cheaper than many EU countries. I'm not sure how old people are here who are arguing against me, buy from when I started drinking you could never get alcohol that cheap. Some people would even buy a bottle of cheap wine because it worked out cheaper to get drunk on that than on beer at the time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've clarified on numerous occasions that I'm talking about the off trade, where you can get a bottle or beer for €1.

So am I, as you well know.
    I have to be asked a question first in order to try twist and evade it.

You have been asked it repeatedly

Justify why you believe Ireland is not expensive.

You are spinning around here trying to not give an answer, using pathetic time-waster tactics to try deflect back to earlier in the conversation.

You claim Ireland is not expensive for alcohol. Give your reason(s) for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

OK all lets keep the conservation to discussion of the thread title please

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

Retracted

• Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Is the legislation published yet?

Will the EU object on free trade grounds like they did in Scotland?

A few hoops to go through yet, not to mind an election first.

If it does happen to come in, I will go to Sainsburys in Newry and import the lot of it.

Their prices are great on their website for fairly decent everyday wines. That's my mind made up anyway.

Even factoring in the cost of travelling up there it would be worth it to just refuse to buy any alcohol down here in an off license.

I wonder will the supermarkets lodge an action with the EU? The off licenses are generally attached to pubs but there are some independents out there too.

Fuppin Nanny State, it's putting us all in bad humour, other than the pompous health fanatic brigade.

They are slowly running out of things to control in our lives, so I wonder what's left now.

This will solve nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Is the legislation published yet?

Will the EU object on free trade grounds like they did in Scotland?

A few hoops to go through yet, not to mind an election first.

If it does happen to come in, I will go to Sainsburys in Newry and import the lot of it.

Their prices are great on their website for fairly decent everyday wines. That's my mind made up anyway.

Even factoring in the cost of travelling up there it would be worth it to just refuse to buy any alcohol down here in an off license.

I wonder will the supermarkets lodge an action with the EU? The off licenses are generally attached to pubs but there are some independents out there too.

Fuppin Nanny State, it's putting us all in bad humour, other than the pompous health fanatic brigade.

They are slowly running out of things to control in our lives, so I wonder what's left now.

This will solve nothing.

This stuff will not get published until the other side of the general election for obvious reasons. Also, it probably has only the support of a minority of the government, those close to vintners. If it comes in, it will be with a lot of loopholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

This was probably asked before but now the bottles of blue nun and tesco value lager are going to increase will that now push all the prices of alcohol up? My Châteauneuf-du-Pape and Laphroig will double in price?

Or will Linden Village need to up its game?

Or will the peasants now be drinking top notch vino by the bucketload causing supply problems and price increases across the board.

I happily pay at or above the minimum prices now for decent plonk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

The cheapest 50cl cans are 22c in Aldi/Lidl in Germany.

50cl bottles of spirits are from 6-7 euro over there.

That nation successfully exports 1 trillion euro of goods and services, and has approx 5% unemployment.

Their life expectancy is similar to ours.

But do they have ze craic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

The cheapest 50cl cans are 22c in Aldi/Lidl in Germany.

50cl bottles of spirits are from 6-7 euro over there.

That nation successfully exports 1 trillion euro of goods and services, and has approx 5% unemployment.

Their life expectancy is similar to ours.

And unlike paddy, they can actually drink without getting absolutely **** faced

Reason for that isn't because it's dearer for beer in Germany than in Ireland, the reason is because they can control themselves when out having a few drinks

And that's why this legislation won't work. People will still drink to excess, just like banning heroin doesn't stop someone injecting themselves with heroin

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

And that's why this legislation won't work. People will still drink to excess, just like banning heroin doesn't stop someone injecting themselves with heroin

We need minimum unit pricing for heroin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

hardCopy wrote: »
    We need minimum unit pricing for heroin!

King Nidge will see to that piece of legislation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I was in Portugal recently and I was drinking wine bought in the supermarket for €1.50 a bottle and it was lovely. There was cheaper too. I went into Supervalu this morning and bought 6 bottles for a total cost of €49.50 which included a €10 discount you get for buying 6 together.

So for the same €49.50

Portugal - 33 bottles of wine
    Ireland - 6 bottles of wine

How anyone can say that drink in this country isn't expensive is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Melendez wrote: »

The German's just seem to drink all day every day. Every convenience store has a bottle opener at the till and a tall table outside. People just drop in for a quick beer as they go about their business rather than wait all day for a beer and then drink five before they leave the house.

@ €3.49 a bottle, their Riesling is pretty good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

This was probably asked before but now the bottles of blue nun and tesco value lager are going to increase will that now push all the prices of alcohol up? My Châteauneuf-du-Pape and Laphroig will double in price?

Or will Linden Village need to up its game?

Or will the peasants now be drinking top notch vino by the bucketload causing supply problems and price increases across the board.

I happily pay at or above the minimum prices now for decent plonk.

Does anybody have an answer to this question above ?

My own feeling is that there will be a minimum unit price for all the different types of booze. So % alcohol content will come into it.

Anything that is 'premium' will naturally price itself a bit higher up the chain so as to dis-associate itself from the dreggs. So all hooch will in reality go up in price a bit.

The only winner is going to be the Government.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Anything that is 'premium' will naturally price itself a bit higher up the chain so as to dis-associate itself from the dreggs. So all hooch will in reality go up in price a bit.

This is the likely otucome. Heineken aren't going to want to be the same price as Dutch Gold so they'll raise their prices. Likewise, your Châteauneuf is going to want to be higher than a bottle of McGuigans.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Does anybody have an answer to this question above ?
    Crystal balls are in short supply. I do think it's likely that raising the baseline price will mean products higher up the chain will also have their prices raised to be differentiated from previously cheaper ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The only winner is going to be the Government.

As its not a tax, they'll only get the VAT on the difference; and if it does impact consumption or cause bootlegging they'll actually lose out.

Its the publicans who'll be rubbing their hands with glee although I doubt there'll be much movement to pubs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,144 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Melendez wrote: »

Absolutely, it's this business of ganneting down drink with no food and the round system.

McDowell was laughed at but he had a very valid point.

The young bulls should take the hit just like the car insurance, you won't see too many more sedate individuals bating the ****e out of each other at taxi ranks and outside chippers.

Let that coterie pay thru the hole for their drink or hammer the bullocks who cause trouble and disturbance.

Don't penalise everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

What problem exactly am I part of?
    The problem being anyone in Ireland saying alcohol in Ireland is cheap.

If you want to start making silly comparisons with eastern European country's factor in salaries and welfare rates from there and don't just brush them off like you did. It's all relative. There's no two ways about it, €1 a bottle/can is cheap.

If you want more details salary wise in the Czech Republic I can give them to you, but the fact remains, they are not a fifth of what they are here, so why are we 5 times more expensive for beer? Currently 5 times more expensive for wine, and after this bill-signing 8 times more expensive for wine. Surely we can agree that salaries in the Czech republic are not an 8th of what they are here.
    The rest of your post about people dying all over the place is the usual hysteric nonsense whenever a measure we don't like is introduced.
    Hysteric nonsense? Your current argument is that a 330ml bottle of Heineken-swill is cheap. You are the one speaking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My own feeling is that there will be a minimum unit price for all the different types of booze. So % alcohol content will come into it.
    They have gone for a simplistic method of charging €1 per gram of alcohol in the drinks. Excise on spirits is much higher than per per gram of alcohol, I posted this in afterhours
    rubadub wrote: »
    excise duty. Spirits are €42.57 per litre alcohol, and beer over 2.8% is €22.55, beer between 1.8-2.8% is €11.27 per litre of pure alcohol in it.

A 700ml bottle of 37.5% vodka will be €20.67 (not the incorrect €28 you may have seen reported), most branded stuff is around that price already. So when prices of cheap beer double in price I expect people to be reaching for spirits as they will now appear better value, as they did not increase. Drunkness & general health effects can be a lot worse having drank the exact same units of spirits vs beer.

If spirits get more popular so will counterfeit ones, which have already caused a few deaths. The deaths are not due to it being "made wrong", its industrial alcohols subsituted for alcohol made by brewing by normal methods.

More caught the other day
    http://utv.ie/News/2015/12/02/Large-scale-counterfeit-vodka-plant-discovered-49930
    irish_goat wrote: »
    This is the likely otucome. Heineken aren't going to want to be the same price as Dutch Gold so they'll raise their prices.
    This was said a lot, but I said before we will still have free competition with the EU, so my local supervalu will presumably still import/source scottish market 5% heineken as they currently do, and its wholesale value should not really be effected in a country which has no min levels. They may have to overlabel cans due to the other ridiculous plan to have info on cans.
    As its not a tax, they'll only get the VAT on the difference; and if it does impact consumption or cause bootlegging they'll actually lose out.
    And the VAT being 23% means they only get 19cent for every extra €1. Some people thought it was 23cent, which is bad enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

It's pretty simple actually. a car for €100 is more expensive than a car for €90. But it's not actually expensive.

What exactly is your difficulty with comprehending that simple mathematical operator?

Would you drive a car you bought for €100? Where did you see that car? You might want to get that checked out in Motors, I think someone wants to sell you a pup. Understandable, since you seem to have a grasp of money like Rainman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

And if you can buy the car anywhere else in Europe for a euro then it still is expensive.

Metaphors ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Is this a silly suggestion. A off lisc sells a pack of crisps for 6 euro and you get a free bottle of wine? Or is that not allowed

Gerry T wrote: »
    Is this a silly suggestion. A off lisc sells a pack of crisps for 6 euro and you get a free bottle of wine? Or is that not allowed

Would be banned in any sensible legislation.

So am I, as you well know.

You have been asked it repeatedly

Justify why you believe Ireland is not expensive.

You are spinning around here trying to not give an answer, using pathetic time-waster tactics to try deflect back to earlier in the conversation.

You claim Ireland is not expensive for alcohol. Give your reason(s) for this.

Do you have comprehension issues? I never said Ireland is not expensive. I repeatedly said that. I also repeatedly said that you can get cheap alcohol in Ireland, and I repeatedly said why. You've repeatedly quoted my reasons, obviously without actually reading them. I really couldn't be anymoe clearer.

You're having some argument in your head with me that's not actually happening in real life.

• Advertisement

Do you have comprehension issues? I never said Ireland is not expensive. I repeatedly said that.

This set of statements coupled together has given me an irony overload

Attack someones comprehension then write two completely conflicting statements after each other.

You have repeatedly claimed Ireland is not expensive for off-sales alcohol. If you can't remember saying this I advise you to read your own posts again.

You haven't justified why you think Ireland is not expensive - you haven't given any reasons ('its not because I say its not' is not a reason) despite your claim to.

I don't really see the point in continuing with someone who thinks stating something makes it so, can't remember their own posts and starts attacking someones ability to read when they are having severe problems actually writing cohesive text in the first place.

Advertisement