Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum Alcohol pricing to be signed into Law

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Aren't most bottles of wine more like 12% or 13%? So it'll be more than the €8.60.

Won't be able to go out and get trolleyed now. Oh, wait…trolleys…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

The link I posted to BeakingNews.ie says that labels will have to include "grams, calories and health warnings" but nothing about ingredients. What about the extra sh*t that goes into beers and wines? Still no requirement to include caramel on the whiskeys I see.

Ageyev wrote: »
    The link I posted to BeakingNews.ie says that labels will have to include "grams, calories and health warnings" but nothing about ingredients. What about the extra sh*t that goes into beers and wines? Still no requirement to include caramel on the whiskeys I see.

Now there's a change. In the 16th century Irish whiskey had caraway in it, now it has caramel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

A two litre bottle of cider at 7% strength will cost €14

*faints*

• Registered Users Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

BeerNut wrote: »
    Remember to raise it with candidates in the election campaign, folks!

say wha!

i think we have bigger fish to fry here at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

Can't get my head around the reasoning behind this proposed legislation.
    If they're trying to get people back into pubs then surely that will lead to more instances of drink driving?

At least if people are drinking their cheap wine/beer/spirits at home they're not likely to then be driving or ending up in A&E for other drink-related injuries or be involved in drink-fuelled brawls.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i think we have bigger fish to fry here at the moment!
    I don't think they limit the number of questions you're allowed ask.

BeerNut wrote: »
    I don't think they limit the number of questions you're allowed ask.

true but is this a priority in this country at the moment! really! if it is, we re in a lot of trouble!

"He (Varadkar) said the aim was to get the legislation through by the middle of next year, and it will then be reviewed in three years."
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1209/752257-alcohol/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Deep Six

"He (Varadkar) said the aim was to get the legislation through by the middle of next year, and it will then be reviewed in three years."
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/1209/752257-alcohol/

That's under the pretence that the EU will approve it (they won't) and that Varadkars showers of gangsters and charlatans will still be in government (they won't either).

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    true but is this a priority in this country at the moment! really! if it is, we re in a lot of trouble!
    It's a priority in my little world ;)

It's a priority in my little world ;)

thats fair enough i guess but in the grand scheme of things, it doesnt even make the list. bigger fish to fry!

Can't get my head around the reasoning behind this proposed legislation.
    If they're trying to get people back into pubs then surely that will lead to more instances of drink driving?

At least if people are drinking their cheap wine/beer/spirits at home they're not likely to then be driving or ending up in A&E for other drink-related injuries or be involved in drink-fuelled brawls.

Varadkar has claimed that this will result in fewer weekend A&E visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

That's a pretty steep price increase all round.There's enough excise duty being paid as is. Would be gas if or when this came, if there could be a mass boycott of all pubs and off licences. Wouldn't be nice for the businesses but the Government are really over reaching here by telling business owners what to charge for their goods, and it'd force the retailers to fight back.
    Whatever happened to the "Free Market"?

Wouldn't be nice for thd businesses but the Government are really over reaching here by telling business owners what to charge for their goods, and it'd force the retailers to fighf back.
    Whatever happened to the "Free Market"?
    Same as what happened with rent control?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Everybody on board the Newry Bus!! Ding! Ding!

I'd say the retailers up the north will be rubbing their hands together.

I heard on the radio driving home that they plan on bringing similar pricing up north at the same time. Whether it all will actually come in remains to be seen.
    I dont believe the craft beers will remain at the same price as the cheap cans of piss if they do go up to the prices mentioned, they wont want to appear to be on the level with dutch, tuborg & the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Lovely, the Vitners have got their way.

Drive the drinkers back into their rip off pubs and penalise the ' couple of cans man' for the goons who gannet back shots and pints to beat the band.

It's that the DRINK CULTURE here thT needs to be reformed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Aren't most bottles of wine more like 12% or 13%? So it'll be more than the €8.60.

Won't be able to go out and get trolleyed now. Oh, wait…trolleys…
    Any decent bottle of wine is going to cost more than that anyways. The blue nun crowd won't be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

Aye ,it were only a matter of time , they made smokin anti social,twas only a matter of time before they started on the drink,look at the way hospital ques and trolley numbers dropped in line with the amount of people that quit smoking LOL.
    My bro works in the states , the company there have alcohol and drug test's +anti smoking advice,fail anyone test your offered advice,fail any more your'e offered the door.
    Yep we have no shortage of do gooders here,pretty soon this country will be as exciting as watching russian tv in a bedsit in Prague in 1968.
    Wake up,go to work,come home,go to bed,wake up,till the day ye give notice of you're imminent demise to your employer.
    The working man/women's lot goes from bad to worse ,jayus even Stalin did't stop the Ruskies drinking there vodka,someone above got it right,there won't be a spud or copper pot or tank left in the country come next summer, thats it I'm off to Woodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Just have to adjust strategy - from now on in stocking up on duty free whiskey when I'm travelling for work, and then just do a handful of yokes the rest of the time. Should be alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Looking around my house now and I have over 100 bottles of spirits and a similar number of bottles of wine, and 3 1/2 cases of beer. When I have a drink, be it at home or in the pub, I don't spend the evening drinking to get drunk, I spend the evening enjoying myself. I'm would drink less than once a week and wouldn't really be effected by this until there is a knock on effect in the already more expensive drinks, like craft beer which has already been mentioned.

The amount of people that this will have a positive effect on is as good as zero. Yes there are problems with alcohol in this country, but an overnight hike in prices is not the solution to a problem we are already addressing. Alcohol consumption has been dropping year on year in Ireland since 2001 and with it alcohol abuse has also been reducing and such things as drink driving are also in decline.

As a means of further addressing the remaining problems, education is key in my opinion. Irish teenagers need to be educated in schools as well as In their homes as to the benefits and dangers of alcohol consumption.

For Varadaker to say there will be less suicides, cancers, disease, car crashes and people in A&E is preposterous and actually offensive because he, as a well trained professional thinks so little of the general public that we are expected to believe this.

This is just a case of doing something to be seen to be doing something.

Two more generations and the issues currently highlighted as problematic around alcohol will be curtailed to a minimum, but by time that comes around there will be other more serious issues to be dealing with.

Frynge, what's the source on this: "Alcohol consumption has been dropping year on year in Ireland since 2001 and with it alcohol abuse has also been reducing and such things as drink driving are also in decline."

Agree it's a case of be seen to be doing something. Very easy for Varadkar and the Dept to sidestep the awkward issue of the health system. This is the same Dept that increased the cost of medical card prescriptions to combat unverified medicine abuse :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

The source of my alcohol consumption dropping since 2001 claim is the revenue commissioners. Every time this topic comes up and I state that claim I always get the same response. Is it that hard to believe that Ireland is not the drunken hole it is claimed to be.

I will search for the link and post it here.

In regards to drink driving I'm nearly sure that I have seen some reports to that affect but can't be 100% certain. I will try and find something concrete on that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The EU won't allow this and there isn't realistically time to introduce it before the election. Grandstanding. Won't be in any programme for government of the next likely government (this one plus the social democrats has the most chance)

The plotting with NI to introduce at the same time would be illegal if two companies did it. Not that NI is likely to have a functioning government to do it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

I wouldn't worry too much about it, the smugglers will see an opportunity here and move in just like they have done with the smokes. so if anything we should be getting cheeper alcohol. bring it on...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

Fine Gael/Labour checklist:
    Household tax: check
    Water tax: Check
    Alcohol tax: Check
    Oxygen tax: Proposed for 2017

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

don't forget the weights and measure's tax for anyone above 1kilo

I heard on the radio driving home that they plan on bringing similar pricing up north at the same time.

Liverpool and Holyhead ferry, here we come!
    oceanman wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry too much about it, the smugglers will see an opportunity here and move in just like they have done with the smokes. so if anything we should be getting cheeper alcohol. bring it on...

Cheaper, more dangerous, rotgut, cut with bleach, sending thousands more to the A&E and onward to rehab to try to cure their brain damage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

alwald wrote: »
    Alcohol tax: Check

This isn't even a tax - the extra money goes to the supplier/distributor/retailer, not the state.

And that's pretty much why its illegal and won't happen. Its delusional grandstanding to be "seen doing something", nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭alwald

L1011 wrote: »
    This isn't even a tax - the extra money goes to the supplier/distributor/retailer, not the state.

And that's pretty much why its illegal and won't happen. Its delusional grandstanding to be "seen doing something", nothing else.

any link please? I couldn't find this info anywhere.

Advertisement