Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Fotish

Still, the advertisements for women's rugby on RTE are first class, makes it look very exciting.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭thamus doku

they could have knicked it at the end but jones should have broke off approaching the line, another poor decision by an irish player.

the biggest problem with this Irish team is 10 and it has been a big issue for years. But also centres.
    if Ireland had a 10 12 and 13 of decent quality we would be in a lot better position.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭kita99

I don't agree. Both centres was not bad. Breen (after long absence for injury) will be much better at next game. The problem is FHs. Maybe Franery (munster and Jake (current Ulster)'s younger sister) will be the regular FH because not only good kicker but also skillful runner. And maybe after Olympics Stacey Flood will return to 15th from 7's duty. Her left foot kicking was excellent her 15th playing time. I Have wondered that she went to 7's. Maybe pro-contract was earlier than 15th's one. I have no doubt about she is best FH in Ireland. I have some doubt yesterday match. 1. Last play near Italian goal line, why BKs didn7t go into the maule a bit early (especially 14) . After that atack, Ireland players went isolatedly to goal. how they were learned? 2.Parsons's penalty in 2nd half was obviously due to Italians neck roll. So she could not move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

We were at the game - there was a great atmosphere at it and for personal reasons I was delighted to be in attendance for a record crowd. In fairness to the crowd, they really did get behind the team.

But not going to lie, the handling errors were tough to watch. At one stage early in the second half, at 7-15, Ireland had a spell in the Italian half - they came close to line once or twice, then there was a cross field kick that went backwards. Eventually they created space out on the left wing and the ball was knocked on. The players themselves were getting visbily frustrated. There was a really awkward silence in the crowd at that stage.

But back to yesterday and the record crowd. I think the IRFU need to decide on a base for the Women's team and build on it. I think think the RDS is the place to do it. All the sponsors were getting involved too. The kids came home with a few goodies, delighted with themselves. As an event, yesterday was a resounding success.

I really think the IRFU should commit to a single venue. I think it's really important for every team to have "a home" - it's helps connect the players and supporters. It will also help build consistency and capitalise on the momentum which is important commercially (whether we like it or not). Look at the football team and how they made the Tallaght Stadium their spiritual home. Yesterday was a great day for the game, but the next 2 games are in Cork and Belfast. Be interesting to see what attendances are like. We might try and make the trip to Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Maybe a team base would be a good idea but why dublin? We arent allowed any mens intetnationals outside of dublin. We should have internationals in belfast. Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Whether we like it or not, commercially Dublin probably makes sense. Reality is it's probably the biggest market and equally inconvenient to those travelling.

Our family experience yesterday was brilliant.

my issue with the backline is there is no synced up play. The last Italy try is something I don’t see out backs capable of

Both Irish 10s yesterday were poor, Higgins and parsons play like 7s players and expect space to open up but it don’t and their passing is at 7s standard, breen at 12 is also not a good enough passer but than again neither is dalton.

But 10 is the biggest issue facing Irish womens rugby, if Flannery is the answer at 10 than get her in there.

Kate Flannery is inbolved in training squads 2024. So she may get a chance as a bench member.

Im not so sure dublin does make sense commercially as beat option. Many players play in dublin clubs because they have to( irfu not doig enough or more to get more clubs to top level)

Im sure your family exp was very good but no reason it wouldnt pr cpuldnt be in venues in limerick or galway.

Welcome back Cliodhna Moloney. She will be a massive add-on force because it looked too hard for Neve Jones only.

• Advertisement

Ireland was too strong against Wales. Aoife Wafer is the miracle who can run like top CTBs and powerful at the crashes. I'm afraid status of Linda Djougang who seemed get a bit injury at her rib.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Top drawer result great work indeed. Improvements from last year are coming on all the time. Might be a tough against England but Scotland can offer a chance of a second win.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,574 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Come on Ireland.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Tumbleweed......

This is over, of course. But they do absolutely need a win in one week's time at home to Scotland, and you'd wonder what psychological impact a day like today will have on their ability to get up and ready for that.

England are some bit professionally funded and Ireland are basically amateurs. That makes a massive difference.

until it is acknowledged the quality of players is poor then nothing will ever change. The current players and the ex players can lay all the blame with the IRFU and funding and sevens, but the truth is you could give unlimited funding to the current players and majority would still be poor. As i previously posted, 10 12 13 is a serious problem for the team - Bad passing , bad tackling, bad kicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Panicking with the ball can be a curse. No real complaints from me as it was always going to be a tough game. The newbes will learn from it.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,020 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

When you look at that 6 Nations table, the entire tournament is incredibly weak. A great England side, a decent French one and then four bad ones, at varying stages of mediocrity.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Wouldn't be too harsh on the Irish team. They're starting from a very low base against a side that's clearly much better.

When you're losing ground and things are going against you, you start making mistakes which just compound. Happened to Leinster in the Champions Cup final last May and they have some of the best players around.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Tell us something we haven't known for the last few years....

• Advertisement

I agree with that. The worrying thing is that it’s not a great England side and than 3 or 4 decent teams.
    it’s as you said - 4 bad teams including Ireland who will likely never beat England for the foreseeable future.
    Thus making growing the 15 game impossible. Any good back player coming through will target the 7s

• Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

For how many years under the latter reign of Tom Tierney (RIP), Adam Griggs, and Greg McWilliams, and the directorship of Anthony Eddy has this been the refrain?

Eight.

For eight years they've been "starting from a very low base." And so that is a redundant statement at this point.

For the most part I don't blame the players. Most of them are novices and many of them at a much lower standard than we had a decade ago. But when and how are the Union going to take active charge of a step-change in the husbandry of the game, and stop just shifting deckchairs?

As terrible as the IRFU have been for womens rugby (and they have been terrible!!).... There is a systemic problem here the the IRFU can't really fix immediately.

There's practically no womens top level club rugby in Ireland. There are a few interpros at the beginning of the season which are marginally better than ail level. The womens ail game is stagnant with top players syphoned into three or four teams. For a lot of girls they are going from ail level to test level with feck all in-between. The wvx games certainly help, but we're only at year two of this. The IRFU cannot magic up a top club level league, unless they were to try to enter the English league with a "jaguares" type type representing Ireland. That would absolutely be very very expensive as they'd have to make all players professional AND cover travel and accommodation costs

This this this

We have a small base of the top level for players in ireland. And the small numbet of top players are playing for too few clubs.

We need to get players spread across more clubs which would help develop more players.

We then need to get provinces playing more against english? French sides and the celtic challange

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I kinda get why RTE Sport feel the need to cover these matches but it was fairly embarrassing fare today, not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,496 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

78 point defeat. How is that even called a match?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭fire_man

Shocking result today,they are woeful to watch.Cant understand all the airtime they get on Off the ball etc.I

If you try 1% harder you'd actually understand…

Here is a base level.

Ireland mens in the six Nations during the 1990s

When you eventually "get it" lets have a chat

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭fire_man

They struggle with passing,tackling.Not sure what they do in these training camps.No one can critisise the team.We will hear from media they will take learnings from today!Pure rubbish.

• Advertisement

. Yep , just checked..

Nothing from you after the Wales win . .......

No effort to critique, therefore you get nothing today.....

Let's try again next week shall we?

Oh by the way, the women are playing again next week ...

Advertisement