Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Womens' rugby Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

We were getting away with murder despite some dodgy passing and handling to ride out the 10 minutes down to 14 with the ball in the Spainish half but then another loose pass to no-one is picked up by Spain and run straight in under the posts from 60m to make it 7-0 after 10 minutes. Then Spain drop the kick off to give us the ball on the 22 again. We're making ground in tight but get bundled into touch when we go wide but end the 10 minutes attacking their line-out 5m from the line. Then not only do we drop the clearing kick into touch but seems there was a late hit by Djoujang on the kicker so it's a penalty to Spain to put them in our half.

This is error strewn by both teams so far as then Spain drop the pass which looked like it was putting them in a 3 on 1 on the 22. And again, when it goes out our backline a floaty pass gets knocked on. I had been thinking the quality of the Kazakh's and Colombian's had masked some problems we've been having. Fingers crossed just early nerves and we can lift this.

After the 20 minute waterbreak Spain manage to keep the ball through a bunch of phases, nearly getting through a few times and ending up with a choice of penalties and they slot the 3. 10-0 after 25

And when it looks like we can put Parsons 1 on 1 the pass is forward. But the ref bails us out a couple of phases after the scrum with a penalty for a poach though it looked like she was on the body not ball tbh. O'Brien slots it (central, maybe 30m out) to get us on the board with 5 minutes left in the half.

We drop the kick-off but backwards and the Spanish fullback (I think) cuts us open running it back until we give away a penalty 5m out which Spain stick into touch for a line-out. We don't compete and they form the maul, we give away the penalty and I'm not sure how Spain didn't ground it over the line there. Then we hold it up when they do get over but get a talking to for the penalties so they go again for the lineout. Again we don't compete and it looked like Spain were marching forward again but they took it out. Through phase after phase until we stray offside (must be card coming and is for Djougang). This one is quite central so Spain take the 3 to go in 13-3 up.

The Spanish kicking has been particularly exceptional to start the second half. Their 15 isn't just a quality place kicker either, she's made a lot of yards and beaten plenty of tackles running kicks back and before I post that she goes and makes a busto out of the backline to bring Spain up to the 22. They can't make it any further though from a bunch of phases before finally it's their turn to knock on again. Spain shook off the early nerves but Ireland are still struggling to get anything going but are at least back to 15 again now without having conceeded any more.

Kiss of death from me again as Spain spinning it wide running back another one kicked down their full backs throat fire a pass high into touch on halfway.

We're kicking a lot but from deep with no real chase. Finally one finds some space and bounces kindly but we knock it on trying to gather and then Spain win the first scrum penalty but let us off the hook going quick. It's really going scrappy as they are trading dropping balls and knocking on now.

Spain give away a penalty from a TMO called dangerous cleanout to give Ireland a chance to get into the Spanish half. Looks like the Spanish winger should have caught it to save them but Ireland get a lineout in the Spanish 22. We win the line out and manage to punch it up a bit before Spain don't roll away and now it's a lineout 6m out. We won it again, got the maul going and rumbled it over and down to finally change the score with 20 minutes to go. O'Brien slots the conversion from the 15m mark to make it 13-10 at the water break.

Don't tell me we're going to sneak it with a draw, thanks to not having to play Fiji!

More pretty aimless unchased kicking and we are blessed the Spanish 15 (Argudo) blew the final pass as she cuts us open again! This time we win the penalty at the scrum to get 10m into the Spanish half. Then we throw it in crooked! Then they throw it in crooked and high anyway! We manage to go through a few phases up to the 22 but then knock on another unsympathetic pass.

13-10 with 14 to go

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

That's a less than inspiring win against Spain. Did well to come back from 3-13 and keep them scoreless in the second half I guess.

Penalty in front of the posts from the scrum, Spain will be raging they didn't get the ball out as it looked like they were ok for long enough before the ref called it against them for not going straight. WTF, we went for the corner instead of taking an easy 3! Seems it was Monaghans call, bonkers in my book (watch them score now). They get a penalty for side entry off the resulting maul so they'll have another chance at worst. Looked inevitable until they spun it out the backline which sends them backwards so they'll go again with a 5m lineout this time with 10 to go.

We set the maul, Spain get in and wrap up the ball and I've no idea how the ref didn't give Spain the scrum and instead was telling them to let it go before they give away another penalty a few phases later! We go again but 6m out as O'Brien makes sure she doesn't kick it dead as it was much more central (easy 3)! This time we manage to maul it over and get it down again. Have to say Spain will feel the ref got that horribly wrong. Conversion maybe 12m in from the touchline and O'Brien pulls it so 15-13 now TO IRELAND with 7 minutes on the clock.

Doesn't look like a draw any more. Spains kicker is superb though so we really won't want to give her a shot! Looked like Spain had kicked it dead but we ground it so a goal line 22 with 5 to go. And sure enough we kick it to the 15 who takes it up to the 22. A bit of confusion from Spain though and they end up making a forward pass to give us a scrum central on the 22. We've changed our hooker and it goes down, we can't give away a penalty here (could have there on my view). Spain get a good shove on but we get it away. Spainish fullback misses the 50-22 by a foot! My nerves!

Spanish sub out wide knocks on on half-way which should be enough? And then the ref gives me a heart attack sticking her arm up for a penalty to Spain but actually it's for Ireland who now have a lineout on their 22 with 30 seconds to go. And it's crooked again! Spain have to get 3 with the last play from their own 22.

They maul it 5m and nearly lose it before we give away a penalty not releasing going to a poach! Now they have to get there from 1m inside our half! Bad low throw and we steal it and get it off the pitch! 15-13 and Spain will be sick. I really don't think we deserved it at all and that decision from the ref not to give Spain the scrum when they had wrapped it up in the maul which went to ground will no doubt haunt their coach.

All around very little quality on show except for the Spanish fullback who was a different class. Our forwards just about bailed us out but can't ignore the fact our backs were shocking with the ball and not that much better in defence.

Now to wait and see if that puts us into WXV 2 or if Spain might get another crack at as or WTF will happen!

Actually looking back on that dodgy maul (which I'll still say was a very dodgy decision), the penalty that came after it was also very questionable, she signalled no release and not rolling away but the poacher was first in and clearly ok. The tackler was to the side of the ball, not in the way and the poacher had her hands on the ball instantly while all the Irish support was still a few metres away long before you could have expected the tackler to have moved further out of the way, I'd say it was a good poach by Spain (and we went in at the side on both sides, the near side really blatant).

Dammit, same shocking co-commentator for USA Vs Italy and still nobody has told her to stop just laughing (and the other mmmmmmmm and random vocalisations from nowhere). I resisted saying anything yesterday but it was driving me nuts!

Oooooh, Rigoni is playing 10, that should wash the taste of the Ireland game out of my mouth!

And WXV 2 comes down to Italy taking a scrum after the buzzer from a penalty they (coach it looked like) decided was just out of range for the 3 they needed to win by 25 and pip Scotland. And a knock on out wide followed by them making the mistake of poaching it before the advantage was over ends the game to let the nervously watching Scots celebrate.

Really shows up the format but still served up some fun drama. I hope the Scots sent a big stash of all sorts to the USA dressing room cause while they didn't just kick it off to hand them the title they fought like hell all game to keep the points chasing Italians from getting what they needed!

USA really seem to have fallen from their old highs though, at least without some of their 7s players. Italy and Scotland both solidly clear in WXV 2, I'd have said clamouring for a 4th 6N place in WXV 1 but after this morning it's more like a war coming between the pair of them to take Wales spot next time.

With the way we played compared to all the others (ok, Wales are a little hard to really judge) it's hard not to see another wooden spoon coming in the 6N, or if it isn't we might be making England men's rugby look expansive. Just maybe adding ALMC, Mulhall and Flood (perhaps more) could somehow get us something but that's not a good place to be on so many levels, not least the vote of no confidence it would send to the players they're failing so far to bring through and honestly it would be rough on the 7s players at the core of their Olympic plans who have more than earned the right to dedicate themselves to their game.

So one weekend left for WXV 1 only. In reverse order of play just the world cup final replay for the title, 3rd/4th game for two smarting teams chasing second with something to prove and Wales last chance to register a win against the no doubt buoyant Aussies who I'm sure would love to finish second ahead of NZ (and Canada). All bar England and NZ could still end up last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭kita99

Watched yesterday's Wolfehounds vs Clovers match, i think that it was very interesting game. I found many growing-up players there. My most impressive player was Sadhbh McGrath, but several other yongsters shone too. And I was surprised the improvement of kicking abillity of Nikki Caughey. It's a little disappointing that I couldn't watch Chisom Ugwueru. I think she will become 7's star in next era.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

What do you mean by you found many growing up players?

In factI live abroad. So my chances to watch the matches of Irish rugby has been limited. In 2023, I watched (all women) 6N Ireland matches, U18 6N festa, interpro all matches, WXV at Dubai. So I cannot say great about for Irish women's rugby. But at last game, I felt that their playing- speed became to show considerably improvement. Other stand-out players for me (on my own) are below. Waldron, Sophie Barrett(former Ulster no8), Campbell ( I saw her first time), Oviawe, Wafer, Keelin Brady and Touhey etc.... In my eyes Wall looked putting the captaincy. And Deeley needs more kicking ability at OH, but I think that she fits at FB than OH. I doubt that this is correct responce for you.

Clover won (20 -5).over Welish team. 19 years old captain McGrath was superb who towed the scrum litterally. Other stand-out players were Kiripati (FL). Oviawe (LO), O'Dowd (LHP) etc・・.Yong FWs was very strong although Wall's absence. And kicking skill of Deeley made very remarkable progress. But it's yet premature. Please continue current effort. ' It looked that Cahil was given too short game time because maybe the captain was too strong. I want to see her a little longer.

At last Clovers won. they bothered by many strange judgements by the ref (Coffey =IRFU), but didn't give up. Last try was recorded by Ormond (off the bench =Munster). But it was excellent that all players got involved. Kate Flanery kicked nice conversion that decided win. She is only 19 years old. Other several players went to Italy at U20 tour last summer. This victory has built their confidence thierself with no dought. But they yet must learn many thing (especially weakness of the break down and soft and archlike passing that was under-hand pass looked at football games.)

Both Ireland teams continues to win at celtic challenge league. Kate Flanery standed out. She is sister of Jake(current Ulster) and only 19 years old. She played SH while Clovers starting SH was in sin bin. Then she showed some good sense at that position with fast pass speed etc. I think that (for Ireland women), she may become a new star at both position (SH and OH).

I am pleased looked at Roisin Maher in the game vs Edinburgh (even only 5min). It was only good thing.

Edinburogh delayed kick off time by 30nin and at starting time they made clovers wait about 5 min in the cold and strong wind. I think that it was unfair for the guest. They coudn't keep phisycal and mental condition. Is it natural way in Scotland?

Thats a bit paranoid. Nowhere have i seen that this was a deliberate tactic other than from you here.

Paranoid. It may be so. Peopleare said (where I live currently) are too puctual. I'm sorry.

Wolfhounds beat clovers yesterday in ravenhill to win the celtic challenge trophy

• Advertisement

It's an interesting match. I don't understand that how to select squads of each teams. Both teams includeed all province's members. But the results (espcially at the first half) was one sided. Wolfhound's Corrigan was excellent runner. Anyway There seems to be no needs to play more a match for Clover against Edinburogh. At least IRFU should to take rest caotain Wall for 6 nations.

Probably felt better to have 2 irish teams instead of 2 teams of players only from 2 provinces. And that having the teams like that would be better for irish team in long term.

Under 18s play england in dublin this weekend to end the first of 3 camps prepping for 6 nations

Clovers 12-12 edinburgh. It's a pity. I don't understand that why HC used that THP player because she did no push at scrum, no tackle and no carry in the field. I don't bereive that she is a current member of Irish squads. But captain Wall was excellent and finished without any injury.That was only good thing.

Its a development tournament and its to help look at players with potential for future as well as give others game time to prep for 6 nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Fotish

I'm dreading the France match, does anybody else feel the same way ?

I hope the loosing margin is within 20 points. If both Sadhbh McGrath and Enya Breen fit, I think that it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

So off we go again. The first 15 minutes we'll tell us a lot.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

The Ref and officials are struggling a bit with the ball being passed back concept

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Good start here imo

Advertisement