Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Democracy Ireland: the split?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

New on RuddVision for this week:

Also, Vaan De Maan was interviewed over at tJ.ie (linkeh)

I'm bewildered by the amount of people who have commented, and feel that he's actually worth a preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Ramondo is going down a pretty weird path on the direct democracy bookface page.
    One of the golden rules of a budding candidate (even those polling 0% in the latest estimates) is "don't get involved in abortion".

So when faced with this....
    Do you support the repeal of the legislation which permits abortion on suicide grounds, and support making Ireland a place where unborn children are legally protected and mothers get all necessary life-saving treatment in pregnancy?

Will you oppose measures in the European Parliament which seek to liberalise Ireland's abortion laws and support pro-life measures such as the One of Us campaign?

...he should have been more careful than...

Raymond Whitehead of Direct Democracy Ireland responded Yes and Yes

He's now dragged it a step further into talking about 'super majorities' - apparently in his vision of direct democracy 50.01% of the people voting a certain way on important matters like 'human rights issues' isn't enough. He wants to look at needing 60/70% rather than entertaining 'simple majorities'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

A rousing call to (legal and peaceful) ARMS there as DDI declare WAR (legally and peacefully) against the BANKSTERS(?) and, like, water tax. Inspirational.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

I've seen some of their disciples on Facebook bitching and moaning about not getting fair air time from RTE. Well when you're leader resorts to name calling on a national debate (Pat 'cant cope' Gallagher), I'd say you should consider yourself lucky to get any air time at all.

All that second debate achieved last night was to remind us all of how bad the alternatives actually are. That would surely have been the case even if the panels were randomly picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Ben Gilroy really messed up the debate on prime time last night. He gave admiration to Nigel Ferage and said turf cutters were being ethnically cleansed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I didn't catch the Primetime debate, but I believe Gilroy said he'd align himself with UKIP if elected. Were this an actual possbility, I think we'd find that even UKIP have some standards.

Tom D'arcy was also parking his olde timey campaign van outside the Ilac centre to try and piggyback off the Save Moore Street demonstrations. It's not confirmed that he gave a rousing speech about the memories of the 1691 volunteers who fought the Battle of Alderaan that year, using Moore Street as their spaceport.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

20Cent wrote: »
    He gave admiration to Nigel Ferage and said turf cutters were being ethnically cleansed.

I think that captures DDI's message perfectly!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

20Cent wrote: »
    Ben Gilroy really messed up the debate on prime time last night. He gave admiration to Nigel Ferage and said turf cutters were being ethnically cleansed.

That was the least of his problems. Apparently he believes the answer to any question in the world to be '€180 billion'. An abject showing and a crying shame for the Irish people to be offered the likes of him as something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

Also, Vaan De Maan was interviewed over at tJ.ie (linkeh)

I'm bewildered by the amount of people who have commented, and feel that he's actually worth a preference.
    To be fair, it's only the truly committed to soapboxing and/or venting that comment on the journal over the weekend - seems to have been a fair smattering of DDIbots in evidence there. Also see one of their foot soldiers there claiming that DDI is a natural home for left wing people... there's one for everyone in the audience.

But, in fairness, there's also the general (and understandable) disillusionment with the establishment parties and a hunger for something new. I suppose that the DDI patter can sound plausible, if you haven't heard their back story. And the likes of:
    He's now dragged it a step further into talking about 'super majorities' - apparently in his vision of direct democracy 50.01% of the people voting a certain way on important matters like 'human rights issues' isn't enough. He wants to look at needing 60/70% rather than entertaining 'simple majorities'.
    No cryptofascist, Catholic hard right tendencies here at all at all.

I noticed an interesting comment (which seems to have been removed now) on their FB page from a guy who claimed DDI used his premises to film something a while ago.

He reckons he heard them make comments/jokes long the lines of gaining popularity,votes and profit from people's misery.

Seems to fit the bill fairly accurately I'd have thought.

Edit: Also fair play to Dave Looney, whoever he is, for constantly calling them out on that page.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'll just leave this here...

10294329_760034757362039_8142531339559207417_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Ben is a freeman.
    He parks where he wants!

Brehon law said that vans can park anywhere I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭rameire

Tom Darcy is the same with his parking,
    if you look at his facebook page he likes to take pictures of his van parked on double yellow lines.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

I see now that DDI feel they have the Labour vote in the back pocket - especially since the Meath East by-election, they are now targeting Sinn Fein's vote .... I reckon they could well have a 50% poll rating before the end of the week ....

Unfortunately I think it will all come to a total halt when post local elections they have control of the majority of councils and are kicking in doors all over Brussels and the loyal membership realise that they actually can't express any view or have any policies that don't align with the holy trinity of Ben, Tom and Ray over seen by the great white beard in the sky - Jan.

A power to the people party who can't accept anyone else's view point ....

....all the while the Church of Rudd is gaining popularity (I see some of his Facebook posts now have over 2 likes) and eventually he will rise as the great leader and lead the march out of Europe and to world domination !!

.. or maybe they will just crash and burn after the elections and the lads will keep plugging away while drawing the dole and selling a couple of 'trademarks' and we'll get to have a bit more car crash TV in 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ben is a freeman.
    He parks where he wants!

Brehon law said that vans can park anywhere I believe.

Exactly. The operator of the van didn't park there. He merely travelled to there and then stopped travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Penn wrote: »
    Exactly. The operator of the van didn't park there. He merely travelled to there and then stopped travelling.

Sounds like the work of Bobby of the Family Sludds.
    The accused refused to supply name or address and again said that he was ' travelling'. However, he did admit that there was an engine in the vehicle and a steering wheel in his hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

tdarcy2.jpg

Whatever about the few porkies regarding his legal successes, takes quite the pair of cojones to start treating "as seen on youtube" as a selling point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

The polls appear to suggest that while the electorate intend to vote for every sort of Independent crank, populist, blowhard and me-feiner, they aren't paying much heed to the message coming out from the ranks of DDI. Will there be naval-gazing and time for quiet reflection post-election, or can anyone envisage fallout's, acrimony, facebook fights and a further series of breakaways and splits?

This poster looks forward to The Ruddites squaring up against the Clan Gilroy.

The polls appear to suggest that while the electorate intend to vote for every sort of Independent crank, populist, blowhard and me-feiner, they aren't paying much heed to the message coming out from the ranks of DDI. Will there be naval-gazing and time for quiet reflection post-election, or can anyone envisage fallout's, acrimony, facebook fights and a further series of breakaways and splits?

I foresee a lot of pictures of "rogue" voting boxes
    also conspiracies around pens and pencils and missing / discarded votes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I'd say there's going to be a lot of loud noises next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

rameire wrote: »
    I foresee a lot of pictures of "rogue" voting boxes
    also conspiracies around pens and pencils and missing / discarded votes

Ok, so which one of you guys was behind the DDOS attack??

https://www.facebook.com/directdemocracyireland

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I watched them on the PT debate last night. The first time I've seen and DDI candidates in the flesh. Two candidates in the one constituency seemed like a bad plan from the start, but that's democracy for you (and me and Tom, and Raymond too!). Wow, they come across badly. There's a certain undercurrent with Tom Darcy that's quite chilling.

Edit, I see Tom Darcy is currently trending on twitter (and not in a good way...)

DDI, not men, but giants!

BnJSOcICEAEBWL0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,675 ✭✭✭whippet

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I watched them on the PT debate last night. The first time I've seen and DDI candidates in the flesh. Two candidates in the one constituency seemed like a bad plan from the start, but that's democracy for you (and me and Tom, and Raymond too!). Wow, they come across badly. There's a certain undercurrent with Tom Darcy that's quite chilling.

Edit, I see Tom Darcy is currently trending on twitter (and not in a good way...)

DDI, not men, but giants!

BnJSOcICEAEBWL0.jpg

actually I though Raymond managed to articulate his point (crazy as it is) fair enough .. and he at least realises they don't have a hope of winning a seat and this is just one big PR exercise.

However, the bold D'Arcy /Darcy is like something from a Horror B-Movie ... Has anyone ever proven or shown if indeed AIB had a banking license? he does not seem to be challenged on this at any juncture?

Also ... did you see the gulp he took when he was introduced as a failed developer who owed AIB (aka the Taxpayer) €18m .....

whippet wrote: »
    However, the bold D'Arcy /Darcy is like something from a Horror B-Movie ... Has anyone ever proven or shown if indeed AIB had a banking license? he does not seem to be challenged on this at any juncture?

Also ... did you see the gulp he took when he was introduced as a failed developer who owed AIB (aka the Taxpayer) €18m .....

My understanding.

AIB had an up to date, perfectly valid license to bank.
    However Tom Darcy's case is that one of the stipulations of getting such a license in the first place is that you must be a financially stable institution ran under strict governance rules.
    His claim follows that at the time they lent him €XM they weren't financially stable nor being ran properly and were hiding these facts, hence they didn't actually have a license to operate. Because they weren't following the terms of their license then in effect the license had become invalid, and the loan becomes an illegal loan which doesn't have to be re-paid. He'll keep the house though, thats different thank you thank you.

Sacksian wrote: »
    Ok, so which one of you guys was behind the DDOS attack??

https://www.facebook.com/directdemocracyireland

Whitehead was bragging on the debate last night that it crashed due to traffic volume...or was that the same thing?

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I'll just leave this here...

10294329_760034757362039_8142531339559207417_n.jpg

He's going with the "merely reversing into the spot to turn his vehicle when an "opportunistic political rival" took the photograph" explanation.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/elections/fury-as-candidates-vans-spotted-in-disabled-parking-zones-30291320.html

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

He's going with the "merely reversing into the spot to turn his vehicle when an "opportunistic political rival" took the photograph" explanation.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/elections/fury-as-candidates-vans-spotted-in-disabled-parking-zones-30291320.html
    Reversing nose-first?

Also, here's Tom Darcy driving his olde timey campaign van out of the car park in the IFSC/AIB International Centre building. Was he inside doing a shady deal with the international bank masters/Illuminati?

Robbo wrote: »
    Reversing nose-first?

Its a new way of looking at things, people like you wouldn't understand.

Ben of the Family Gimproy was saying on his facemuck page that it didnt count as it was from the by-election in Meath and is not a new photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Gilroy's had a bit of a meltdown on Twitter today. He's not really a "people person"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement