Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct Democracy Ireland: the split?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Penn wrote: »
    Gilroy's had a bit of a meltdown on Twitter today. He's not really a "people person"

It's great,he's gotten rather abusive to all of us. Cited data protection to me against revealing pro choice members of his party. He's not exactly in favour of party transparency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Corkfeen wrote: »
    It's great,he's gotten rather abusive to all of us. Cited data protection to me against revealing pro choice members of his party. He's not exactly in favour of party transparency.

Ehh..... Are members of a party not allowed to remain private?

I was unaware there was a roll of other parties members & their personal views.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,446 ✭✭✭✭Penn

If you're a public figure who says something publicly and you're running for an elected position voted for and acting on behalf of the public... it's not private and shouldn't remain so. Stuff like that can influence whether or not a person votes for you. So long as the info wasn't obtained illegally, it's pretty much fair game.

Do you object to The Life Institute having a list of all the "pro-life" candidates on their website?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

If the politician's views will affect the way in which they behave in Europe. It's completely within electorate's rights to ask where politicians stand. Gilroy is literally going out off his way to insult but not making any effort to answer questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Essien wrote: »
    Whitehead was bragging on the debate last night that it crashed due to traffic volume...or was that the same thing?

Their facebook page reckoned there was a DDOS attack on http://www.ddi.eu.com/ - probably the ECB trying to silence them...(although it seems that particular webpage is hosted by nationbuilder who were the actual target of the DDOS attack and, presumably, have some slightly larger fish to fry than DDI).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Big day today. A big thank you to DDI, IDP and JR for making a truely bland election into something worth waiting for. I'll be all ears on the wireless tommorrow. I'm predicting 1 seat for DDI in Carlow/Kilkenny...just to have a horse in the race.

Jeff's gonna need new cotter pins on his Truimph 20 after this week. Only one more sleepless sleeps for the hapless Rudd. Leading a completely empty campaign from the basement of Cold Comfort Farm can't have been easy. Frightened into the basement after peeking at something nasty DDI were doing in the woodshed. Not man enough to say he tried to lead people into something that wasn't good enough for him. He was left bare, more bonkers than anyone could have guessed at.

I have a feeling the results will be cold comfort on his funny farm. I predict he'll blame everyone but himself. If there's one thing Jeff's shown about himself it's that he's the least self aware human on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Latest tallies indicate that the Ruddmeister is trailing his like minded colleague, the dog poop lady by some twenty first preference votes, putting him, somewhat unsurprisingly, at the back of the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Latest tallies indicate that the Ruddmeister is trailing his like minded colleague, the dog poop lady by some twenty first preference votes, putting him, somewhat unsurprisingly, at the back of the field.

What kind of numbers / % are we talking?

Is DDI looking like securing any seats anywhere in the country?

Someone said on Twitter earlier that they were on course for one council seat, but I'm in the pub at the minute and probably won't check until later. In Jeff's case at the time of the tally, he had 0.8%, about 60 odd votes.

Someone said on Twitter earlier that they were on course for one council seat, but I'm in the pub at the minute and probably won't check until later. In Jeff's case at the time of the tally, he had 0.8%, about 60 odd votes.

Actually geniunely surprised a campaign that seemed solely focussed on inarticulate Facebook rants, and the latest Justin Beiber gossip managed to convince 60 people to vote for him.

• Advertisement

Maybe he has a lot of relatives ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Shoddy enough result, council seats aren't that difficult to win that a concentrated focused campaign couldn't get quite a few.
    Can lay the blame solely at the inner circle who decided to put the financial resources into wholly unrealistic tilts at MEP seats, all for the sake of getting their faces on VB/PT a few times.
    Even a bash at the by-election in Dublin West would have made more sense, David Hall managed to go from unknown to 10% in a few weeks.

I'm sure it'll all be spun into a win, with a combination of SF/PDP/DDI socking it to the establishment parties in a triumphal result. Said establishment now quivering in their boots at the onward march of DDI.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

The Gospel According To Jeff managed to attract the princely sum of 112 votes http://www.rte.ie/news/election2014/#/local/A19

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

The Gospel According To Jeff managed to attract the princely sum of 112 votes http://www.rte.ie/news/election2014/#/local/A19

Sounds about right, given his fb page only has 153 likes. I hope he put too much money into the campaign...

Jeff took some time to thank his team from a nearby nebula last night.

DDI Local Election Watch First preferences.
    Generally around 1000-1200 votes is whats needed to win a seat, doesn't have to be first prefs obviously, can be transfers from other eliminated candidates

Co. Carlow – Municipal District – Saoire O’Brien
    Very poor. 166 votes. Has to be disappointing from a candidate they've plugged a fair bit

Co. Donegal – Glenties – Joe McCarron
    Co. Donegal – Inishowen – Eilish Haden
    No results yet.

Co. Dublin – Beaumount Donaghmede – Tom Rooney
    Poor. 284. One of the more vocal people on the bookface pages, would have expected better.

Co. Dublin – Ballymun LEA – Cormac McKay
    Poor, 162 votes

Co. Dublin – Templeogue Terenure – Neville Bradley
    Poor 280 votes

Co. Dublin – Castleknock – Robert Long
    Very poor. 145.

Co. Kildare – Naas Municipal – Martin Byrne
    Poor 226.

Co. Louth – Dundalk – Pat Greene
    Very poor 124 votes.

Co. Louth – Drogheda – Anthony Connor
    Good 383 votes
    Co. Louth – Drogheda – Ronan Mooney
    Good 353 votes.
    Solid result here with a dual candidate strategy, whoever is eliminated first will presumably transfer well to the other, might pick up cross transfers from Jeff and the other lowpolling flotsam. Outside chance of a seat with quota of ~1100 I think

Co. Meath – Laytown Bettystown – William Lacey
    Poor. 253.

Co. Tipperary – Cashel – John O’Connor
    Very poor. 73 votes.

Co. Wexford – Town District – David Lloyd
    Very poor 114 votes

Co. Wicklow – Arklow – Brian Whelan
    Very poor. 97 votes.

Co. Waterford – Comeragh – Dr David Janes
    Good. 474 votes. Solid performance though has been eliminated.

Co. Waterford – City South – Gary Hogan
    Very poor. 111 votes.

Co. Waterford – City East – Larry McCarthy
    Very poor. 87 votes.

Co. Wicklow – Wicklow Town – Norman Philips
    Good. 409 votes.

So this is generally a poor set of results, some of it bordering on terrible.
    A couple of saviours though, in particular will be interesting to see how Louth(Drogheda) pans out on later counts.

First count info taken from here.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/elections/local-elections

I think that illustrates that had Jeff ran under the DDI banner as planned, he would have polled much higher (but not highly enough). They seem to do relatively well up around Louth and Meath. Thanks for collating that though, makes for interesting reading.

13th count in Drogheda, 5 seats left to be filled and seven candidates remain.
    Remaining DDI guy is in joint 6th/7th place, but theres a 102 vote SF surplus about to be distributed that he should get the handful more needed to not be the next elimination.
    He'll then have to make up 22 votes on 5th place Labour to get a seat.
    I actually think he's likely to do it :pac:

http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/Services/Electoral-Register/Elections/Local-Elections-Results-2014/Drogheda%20LEA%20State%20Of%20The%20Poll%20Count%2013.pdf

14th count and 26 votes from SF are enough to survive with the FF candidate only getting 5 and eliminated.
    DDI lead Labour by 1, the FF candidates vote will be transferred in the 15th and final count so if DDI man gets more transfers than Labour he wins.
    http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/Services/Electoral-Register/Elections/Local-Elections-Results-2014/Drogheda%20LEA%20State%20Of%20The%20Poll%20Count%2014.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

While I was never remotely concerned she'd get a seat, I did think Saoire O Brien would do a bit better. She's got heaps of posters up and the party did seem to be pushing her a bit. If I'm honest, she strikes me as a decent (yet naive) person who's been convinced by all the DDI nonsense.

• Advertisement

Robbed at the death by the establishment elite cartel as FF transfer 67 to Labour and only half that to DDI.
    11th place, gg ul.
    32 votes shy, you'd need a heart of stone to not be falling around the place laughing.
    http://www.louthcoco.ie/en/Services/Electoral-Register/Elections/Local-Elections-Results-2014/Drogheda%20LEA%20State%20Of%20The%20Poll%20Count%2015.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

Co. Tipperary – Cashel – John O’Connor
    Very poor. 73 votes.

did he even canvas he was the only name I didn't recognise on the ballot

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Last among equals.

To those of you worried, don't be.

Jeff is down, but not out. The Ruddite Rebellion continues.
    Jeff Rudd wrote:
    Local elections - I am genuinely depressed this morning. NOT for myself. Hell No. For Ronan Mooney, Mr Connor and even Mr McKenna that ran and deserved to get elected.
    What we have instead is some faces from the parties that need to be booted the hell out for good from office.
    Heads up to those elected. I am going to be biting at your ankles holding you all to account EVERY damn week. Anyone not doing their job, spinning political bullcrap and lying, I'm going to expose them and carry on standing up for those that need help.
    My campaign for the general election starts today - and I am not joking!
    I intend to work on www.unitedpeople.ie more so too. If anyone want to join and oppose the current lot that need to go, please do so.
    Your country needs you.
    Jeff Rudd wrote:
    I was going to take a few days off from politics but these heads in government are not stopping, hitting out at our vulnerable - so sod them.
    I'm going to remain on them like tits on a bull!
    ...Now just with even more fire and ire! Stay tuned - I have only just started!

Sticking to them like tits on a bull. Has to be my favourite Ruddism yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

So. That would be designating oneself a small, redundant and useless appendage on the broader body politic then?

Seems appropriate.

For someone who struggles at the best of times with linguistics and phrasing, The Ruddfather has an uncanny knack for comedic writing, and using forty words to convey precisely the opposite meaning to that he intends, and in such a manner which anyone else with normal brain function and comprehension could have communicated using under a dozen.

I'm delighted that he's going to continue to say "Enough!" even more so also in fact presumably continually obviously indeed. Bring it on!

One of my favourites was "It goes without saying but it has to be said."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Ha ha

Gilroy eliminated after the first count

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

I didn't know Jeff Rudd was such a cult hero here. The performance of DDI is hilarious. Second only to the dismal showing from Fis Nua.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Eggonyerface

To those of you worried, don't be.

Jeff is down, but not out. The Ruddite Rebellion continues.

Even his followers have started talking like him, this was from an enquiry sent into united people on http://www.unitedpeople.ie/id51.html

I have just found your site and am very, very interested in probably possibly joining.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement