Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is wearing make-up a 'betrayal'?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Bullseye

I have a preference for men with larger willies yet men try to deceive me by covering it up with trousers! :mad: It's immoral!

Stuffing trousers with socks would be the analogy you are looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

That's not even a valid comparison. The only real valid one would be if men were to stuff their boxers with socks or whatnot.

It was a joke.

See my post below about how we all put our best foot forward in the mating game, men included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

To the people saying they just want to look good for themselves, and it has nothing to do with anyone else, do you also apply your make up if you know you're going to be home alone for the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Bullseye wrote: »
    If person likes x trait in potential partner then it is in their interest to know if they have x trait.

What does it matter if it's natural or not? I'm a natural brunette, but I dye my hair red. My boyfriend must be secretly stewing at my deception, as I had brown hair when I met him. :rolleyes:

Stuffing trousers with socks would be the analogy you are looking for.

Did you read my post above?

Haircuts, moisturisors, hair dye (used by both men and women), Regain, fashionable clothes that excentuate certain parts of the body and hide others, acting differently in social situations to how you are at home, protein shakes etc. Everyone alters their natural appearance/personality day-to-day and I don't understand why women are the ones being accused of betrayal.

• Advertisement

Gongoozler wrote: »
    To the people saying they just want to look good for themselves, and it has nothing to do with anyone else, do you also apply your make up if you know you're going to be home alone for the day?

I put on mascara even if I don't leave the house. I also clean myself and wear nice clothes. I do it purely for myself.

The fact is, women do it for different reasons and that's the point. We don't possess a hive mind.

Gongoozler wrote: »

You're completely misunderstanding the point. People are saying they're not in competition with others and that they like looking their best.

I'm currently sitting here with greasy unwashed hair, wearing an old hoodie with porridge spilled down the front of it and pyjama bottoms. Would I go into town like this? No. I'd get changed into a nicer outfit and wash my hair. As I'm sure you would. Only difference is I might put some make-up on to feel nicer and more polished. What's so hard to understand?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Bullseye

I'm just going to reply to this with the post I replied to your last post with as you didn't bother responding.

You originally said it was part of the mating game and now you're implying something else...

This isn't black and white as morals aren't black and white. I don't regard make up, hair transolants, wigs or stuffing underwear with socks immoral, but I accept that someone could make a decent argument that they find it immoral. I also don't find it immoral to want to know what a potential partner is like beneath the image they project, that is their business imo as it is part of the mating game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

If person likes x trait in potential partner then it is in their interest to know if they have x trait.

It sure is, but it's not like it's a life or death dependency now is it?

A small bit of perspective, yknow? You're not going to die because you just found out the girl you took home the carpet doesn't match the curtains!

Happened to me more times than I'd care to remember tbh, but it's not like we'd gotten on to the marriage and babies talk after one night! :pac:

This isn't black and white as morals aren't black and white. I don't regard make up, hair transolants, wigs or stuffing underwear with socks immoral, but I accept that someone could make a decent argument that they find it immoral. I also don't find it immoral to want to know what a potential partner is like beneath the image they project, that is their business imo as it is part of the mating game.

I have no idea why you're bringing morality into it or how anyone could. Please enlighten me.

Make up comes off. It's temporary. The man can see the woman without make up early on and then can make his decision to leave if he likes (most men don't though as fancying someone isn't solely down to their face). Make up, of all the trickery used by humans, is one of the most obvious to spot.

Please explain the "immoral" aspect of it.

We ALL put our best foot forward outside the house yet why is this being focused on?

• Advertisement

Did you read my post above?

Haircuts, moisturisors, hair dye (used by both men and women), Regain, fashionable clothes that excentuate certain parts of the body and hide others, acting differently in social situations to how you are at home, protein shakes etc. Everyone alters their natural appearance/personality day-to-day and I don't understand why women are the ones being accused of betrayal.

I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't alter their day-to-day appearance, unless the situation calls for it; job interviews, formal occasions and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

If I was feeling confident then I'd leave the house with no make up on. But if I'm not feeling great about myself yes I put on make up. No I don't wear it at home unless I know visitors are coming. Self conscious yes I absolutely am. But my husband sees me without make up all the time. At the beginning he didn't but that soon stopped.

I feel like I'm the only one that doesn't alter their day-to-day appearance, unless the situation calls for it; job interviews, formal occasions and so on.

So what do you do about your boney arse? :)

You don't have a haircut, shave or wear clothes that flatter you then, no? I presume if i was to meet you you'd have a beard and hair down to the ground then, yeah?

lukesmom wrote: »
    So what do you do about your boney arse? :)

Get complimented on it on numerous occasions, oddly enough.

You don't ever have your hair cut? Wash or style your hair? Work out? Choose clothes that suit/fit you? You walk out of the house every day looking exactly like when you got up in the morning?

You don't have a haircut, shave or wear clothes that flatter you then, no? I presume if i was to meet you you'd have a beard and hair down to the ground then, yeah?

I trim my beard not because of how it looks, but because I hate the way it feels when it gets anywhere near long. I would never buy clothes thinking, "oh, these might flatter me!", I buy them because I like them. And if my hair didn't look so goddamn ludicrous while it gets longer (and believe me, I would go a long time in between haircuts if so many people weren't telling me to get it done), I would let it grow.
    IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    You don't ever have your hair cut? Wash or style your hair? Work out? Choose clothes that suit/fit you? You walk out of the house every day looking exactly like when you got up in the morning?

Pretty much. I absolutely detest any sort of styling products in my hair.

I trim my beard not because of how it looks, but because I hate the way it feels when it gets anywhere near long. I would never buy clothes thinking, "oh, these might flatter me!", I buy them because I like them. And if my hair didn't look so goddamn ludicrous while it gets longer (and believe me, I would go a long time in between haircuts if so many people weren't telling me to get it done), I would let it grow.

So you do alter your natural state then. Doesn't matter what your motivation is (we all have different motivations), you still do.

I don't have styling products in my hair but my hair is still cut.

Pretty much. I absolutely detest any sort of styling products in my hair.

So because people tell you to cut your hair you do it. That's even worse!

It feels like these posters are on the defensive and are quite quick to go on the attack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

You're not the only person that doesn't alter their day to day appearance unless the situation calls for it. I like to look my best all the time so I shower and shave in the morning, I put on fresh underwear and then I put on my clothes that I've ironed and left out from the night before.

I do this on a daily basis and it doesn't require that much effort for me to look well for my own self-confidence. If I don't feel I look good, I'm not going to be in good form, there's no "betrayal" nonsense about it, and I don't make that effort for other people or to compete with other men, I do it because I want to feel good about MYSELF, for myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

It feels like these posters are on the defensive and are quite quick to go on the attack.

they're just tired of your constant mansplaining

Women are being accused of various things on this thread for simply wearing a bit of make up. I wear mascara and nothing else but it's being implied that I am a) immoral b) in competition with other women c) insecure d) guilty of betrayal and deception. We're being told our motivation for doing something we do daily.

I don't know if men are trying to wind us up but it's a little infuriating. It's only make up.

You wouldn't go on the attack for the same kinds of accusations, no?

they're just tired of your constant mansplaining

Do you mean manscapping? Ha. Brilliant.

Women are being accused of various things on this thread for simply wearing a bit of make up. I wear mascara and nothing else but it's being implied that I am a) immoral b) in competition with other women c) insecure d) guilty of betrayal and deception. We're being told our motivation for doing something we do daily.

I don't know if men are trying to wind us up but it's a little infuriating. It's only make up.

You wouldn't go on the attack for the same kinds of accusations, no?

You're attacking someone that didn't make such accusations though. I may be a man, yes, but doesn't mean I should be attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

I don't think anyone's attacking you, they're just pointing out that you can't say you don't do anything to alter your natural appearance, when you do.

Most people do things on a day to day basis that improve their appearance, whatever their motivation for doing it may be, that's the result. Even washing your hair regularly is a simple thing we all do that improves your appearance.

For some women, myself included, part of the daily routine is makeup which results in me looking better, wether that's my reasoning behind doing it or not.

You're attacking someone that didn't make such accusations though. I may be a man, yes, but doesn't mean I should be attacked.

I "attacked" you? Sorry you took it that way. That wasn't my intention and it never got personal. It's called debating and it's typical of AH.

Some of the accusations on here are OTT, so I think it's fairly justified that some of us are on the defense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

It's whatever looks good on you, if you have dry skin then use an oily foundation (revlon colourstay oily skin) if you have red skin then use a counter product, if you have oily skin then use revlon dry skin foundation.....thats what I do! dark circles, then use a green concealer.

No no no!
    Red skin - green colour corrector.
    Dark circles - yellow colour corrector.
    Sallow - lilac colour corrector.

For oily skin go for an oil free foundation, because you'll have enough oil in your skin without loading more on it. A matt foundation.

A foundation for dry skin will have oil in it, because that's what dry skin is lacking. If you put this on an oily skin, you can clog the pores even more and it can look über shiney.

I can already see this is a topic which will probably not reach any form of conclusion and I'm just going to leave it.

I've just always believed that women are beautiful both with and without make-up and it makes me sad when some women are just completely unable to go out anywhere in how they are naturally. I would much rather work on their insecurities that cause this over having them hide away.

Good day.

• Advertisement

I can already see this is a topic which will probably not reach any form of conclusion and I'm just going to leave it.

I've just always believed that women are beautiful both with and without make-up and it makes me sad when some women are just completely unable to go out anywhere in how they are naturally. I would much rather work on their insecurities that cause this over having them hide away.

Good day.

I agree with you. I find it sad too. Sorry if I you saw my posts as an attack. I was just debating. I've had 5 cups of tea, no hangover and I'm riled up! ;)

Advertisement