Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is wearing make-up a 'betrayal'?

Options
  • 17-10-2013 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Just read the following article online and, although initially I just rolled my eyes, I have to say I do some merit in the point being made.
    A set of before and after photos that show the dramatic difference between a woman with and without make-up have sparked an internet debate about cosmetics.

Posted by make-up artist Povilas Staniulionis, the images, simply captioned: 'Make-up. That's it,' show a bare-faced woman with acne scars and shiny skin, and then her transformation after putting on make-up, with thicker eyebrows, flawless looking skin and a seemingly thinner face.

The stark difference between the images has sparked a debate on Reddit, with some internet users labeling make-up in general a 'betrayal' because it hides a woman's true self.

Reddit user plokoonismyfave initiated the war of words when he wrote: 'The left is uglier than the right, but beauty is subjective. The right is her wearing a (figurative and literal) mask.'
    One person replied that a woman's personality counts more than her make-up routine, writing: 'You only feel "betrayed" because you put too much value on looks.'

He then went on to accuse the woman in the photo of disguising her insecurites with cosmetics.

'The girl in the photo is apparently not satisfied with the way she looks without makeup,' he said, 'and uses makeup to artificially portray a person more people would find attractive.'

Others stayed out of the debate altogether, instead admiring the miraculous transformation made possible by the make-up artist.

'Holy crap! That's amazing,' wrote one fan of the make-over. 'I would've never been able to tell that those two pictures were the same person. If this is your work, you have an amazing talent!'

As I say, initially I just felt the opinion expressed was just fueled by bitterness at perhaps not being successful with some women that he had perhaps tried to date, or was later dumped by but as I began to think about it further, I have to admit that if I brought a guy back to my place and it turned out he was a few inches shorter (in height ;)) that he had appeared due to wearing some Cuban heels I hadn't noticed, or was wearing some prosthetic to make it appear he had a good body, I'm not sure that would sit to well with me; as I would without question feel duped.

I know it's not exactly something that would happen, other than maybe the Cuban heels, but I would feel cheated. Not exactly "betrayed" as the article suggests, although if it was there was drawn out serious of dates before I discovered that he was wearing all the above and perhaps some cosmetics to make his features appear more chiseled, of course I would feel a sense of 'betrayal' as I would have built up feelings about him and his looks of course would have been a factor in that.

I'm not saying I develop feelings for guys solely on their appearance but if I'm being honest, and I am, then yes, looks are a large part of why I would fall for a guy and if the truth of that turned out to be a lie, well then any feelings developed for him would for sure disintegrate, and fast. Maybe that comes across as shallow, but I would be lying if I said otherwise. Honesty is important to me and I would consider that level of aesthetic change to be an act of dishonesty.

I must also add that once dated a guy for two years that had quite pronounced facial nevus flammeus and he wore cosmetics occasionally and it didn't bother me one bit. Nor would someone wearing almost anything to make up for an imperfection of any kind, as I feel both a much different.

All of this has me take a long hard look at my own make-up routine, and while I was never one to cake it on, I have begun to cut down on how much I apply and strangely, I have been getting a lot of complements as a result, which I hadn't expected at all. I remember seeing a photo of Christina Aguilera without make-up once and she also, without question, looked far pretty without the crazy amount she was applying back when Dirty came out.

However, the girl in the article is clearly not one of those girls, unfortunately and so is the type that I guess, some, guys would take issue with and so my question to them is would they really mind that level of cosmetic change and what would they feel when they saw how some girl really looked, if indeed, she appeared to be far less attractive, to the same degree as the girl in this article? Also, girls, how would you feel if a guy was to drastically change his appearance, which you really really liked, only to late find out was far from how he truly looked.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

If my "true self" is defined completely by my looks by the world we live in, I might as well go shoot myself now

Luckily, it isn't. It's clear to anyone she's wearing a load of makeup. If you don't like her without the makeup, don't date her again like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I know a guy going out with this one for the past 2 and a half years and not once has she let him see her without make up. Self admitted by him and her. I don't know what to make of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The two photos are purposely made to be strikingly different. The one on the right is framed slightly differently, is using a different focal length to flatten the face and so on. These are camera tricks. At the end of the day we can't really record a person's beauty using a camera effectively. We have to use tricks to make up for the lack of presence.

I think makeup looks stupid, it never looks right to me. It always looks like a adult going around painted up like a child, it's completely lost on me and I'd suspect many men might be the same.

But then it's got little to do with mens reactions, it's a battle of aesthetics amongst women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I dont wear much make up, and I dont look much different! She looks amazing after she applies make up, but very fake and obvious shes wearing a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Which one is which?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

A woman wearing make up is obvious most of the time and particularly in those photos. If a man can't see what's blatantly obvious, then I'd suggest glasses (although he could be accused of betrayal in his attempts to alter his vision! :eek:)

Another stupid article from the DM. Betrayal me arse ffs :rolleyes: That paper really doesn't like women at all, does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

ScumLord wrote: »
    The two photos are purposely made to be strikingly different. The one on the right is framed slightly differently, is using a different focal length to flatten the face and so on. These are camera tricks. At the end of the day we can't really record a person's beauty using a camera effectively. We have to use tricks to make up for the lack of presence.

I think makeup looks stupid, it never looks right to me. It always looks like a adult going around painted up like a child, it's completely lost on me and I'd suspect many men might be the same.

But then it's got little to do with mens reactions, it's a battle of aesthetics amongst women.

Don't get this. It's just covering up things you don't like and accentuating things you do. No different to choosing a fitted shirt over a loose baggy one or a long skirt over a miniskirt.

I have bad acne scarring due to having terrible acne caused by the water where I lived last year which for now I can't do much about. I do wear foundation and concealer every day to cover it, because I feel much more confident that way. It has nothing to do with any 'battle of aesthetics', I just like to look nice, or as nice as I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Of course it's not. If a bloke wants a girl to look made up 24/7 let him buy a sex doll and carry that around. Both guys and gals make an effort at looking their best at certain times and it's no different to a bloke having a shower, shave and putting in hair gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Looks grand either way.If a bit miserable.
    The first pic is made to look bad I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Exactly there's a lot more than just makeup in the difference between these pictures.

I tend to like girls who would wear a little makeup but not over do it. You'd never know they were wearing it, at least I wouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'm not sure what his argument is. It's common place for women to wear hair extension, false eyelashes, false nails, fake tan, padded bras etc on a regular basis. I'd say some lads get an awful shock the first time they have sex and find bits of eye lash and hair coming off. The padded bra is a bit misleading and probably a bit of a disappointment:D

The whole point of makeup is to accentuate, or camoflage the flaws we want to disguise. I don't wear much makeup, I like to let my skin breathe and my husband hates a lot of makeup, I think most men dislike heavy makeup.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Meh, if wearing make up makes someone happy at the end of the day, then who cares. Forget about betraying yourself, and hiding behind cosmetics. If it helps the person who uses it then that's the main thing. There are much worse things in the world to be arguing about then people wearing make up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Most men say they prefer women with no make up, when in actual fact most prefer the natural "no make up" make up look. Most of my male friends/boyfriends have commented on the fact I rarely wear make up. I wear make up pretty much every day. I just don't pile it on or make it obvious. The times when I haven't worn make up I get "are you sick, you look pale". Which I guess is more deceiving since they think I naturally look the way I look!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,956 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Personally, I dislike make up, but I hate the crippling effects that the cosmetic industry inflict upon girls and women every day of their lives.

It may come as some surprise to a lot of women and men too, but most guys couldn't give a tinkers cuss about make-up.

But it's not just make up. Nearly everything about how women dress is fake. Sheer tights, push up/together bras, high heels, figure forming jeans, shaped shirts/blouses etc. It's all a bull**** illusion designed to disguise non-existent shortcomings.

The vast majority of women will even dye their hair at the first signs of a bit of grey.

And don't even get me started on collagen, botox, or other extreme nonsense.

I genuinely feel sorry for the fairer sex. They have so much pressure thrust upon them in this regard. It's an awful psychological burden and for some girls, a terrible handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Tasden wrote: »
    Most men say they prefer women with no make up, when in actual fact most prefer the natural "no make up" make up look. Most of my male friends/boyfriends have commented on the fact I rarely wear make up. I wear make up pretty much every day. I just don't pile it on or make it obvious. The times when I haven't worn make up I get "are you sick, you look pale". Which I guess is more deceiving since they think I naturally look the way I look!

I think you develope the fine art was just getting it right !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

All in your head, dude. Can guarantee lots of the women you have fancied have been wearing a little bit of make-up.
    Tony EH wrote: »
    Personally, I dislike make up, but I hate the crippling effects that the cosmetic industry inflict upon girls and women every day of their lives.

It may come as some surprise to a lot of women and men too, but most guys couldn't give a tinkers cuss about make-up.

But it's not just make up. Nearly everything about how women dress is fake. Sheer tights, push up/together bras, high heels, figure forming jeans, shaped shirts/blouses etc. It's all a bull**** illusion designed to disguise non-existent shortcomings.

The vast majority of women will even dye their hair at the first signs of a bit of grey.
    What's wrong with wanting to look nice? Actually guys would be, generally, more attracted to a girl who's a bit more groomed - and there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. The only thing wrong is the denial and self delusion in these discussions.
    A tiny bit of make-up does make most women look better. Nobody's saying a load of paint looks good at all - I think the make-up in that picture is awful. I wouldn't wear anywhere near that much myself, but I'd still wear a bit. It's not like there's all that trowelled on versus nothing, and no in-between.
    And I most definitely look better with the bit I wear. If guys don't give a toss about make-up, how come I get far more positive male attention with the bit of make-up that I wear than when I'm bare-faced?

Fairly suspicious of the OP with their first post. You can ****ing well see if a guy is wearing Cuban heels. And if a guy firmly believes he finds make-up a betrayal, then don't go for women wearing make-up. But they will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭Vito Corleone

Less is more.

What's wrong with wanting to look nice? Actually guys would be more attracted to a girl who's a bit more groomed - and there's nothing wrong with that whatsoever. The only thing wrong is the denial and self delusion.
    A tiny bit of make-up does make most women look better. Nobody's saying load of paint looks good at all - I think the make-up in that picture is awful. I wouldn't wear anywhere near that much myself, but I'd still wear a bit. It's not like there's all that trowelled on versus nothing, and no in-between.
    And I most definitely look better with the bit I wear. If guys don't give a toss about make-up, how come I get far more positive male attention with the bit of make-up that I wear than when I'm bare-faced?

Yes. It's clear as day that women "dolled up" to any degree at all get more attention than those who don't. Women who get dolled up to the extreme often have men stopping on the street to look at them and you can't say you haven't noticed it. Telling us that isn't the case is a little patronising when it's so blatant - we're not blind. Many women see that's the case, want some of that attention and follow suit and it works. Rinse and repeat.

I wear a bit of mascara everyday and a bit more make up when I go out but not much as I don't like the feel of it. My whole "getting ready" regime is a totally painless affair and I think that's the case of for most women. Only the minority go to extremes.

No it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Can we have an After Hours policy banning threads being based on Daily Fail articles?

• Advertisement

All in your head, dude. Can guarantee lots of the women you have fancied have been wearing a little bit of make-up.
    I know they do, but then I know what skin looks like and ye're not really fooling me. I prefer a more interesting face with it's freckles, dents and differing complexion.

No it's not.
    As far as I can see women use aesthetics as their battleground in every aspect of their lives. The clothes they wear, the make up, the way their home looks, the way their car looks. The only reason there's so much variety in the world is because women became the top consumers.

I know they do, but then I know what skin looks like and ye're not really fooling me. I prefer a more interesting face with it's freckles, dents and differing complexion.

As far as I can see women use aesthetics as their battleground in every aspect of their lives. The clothes they wear, the make up, the way their home looks, the way their car looks. The only reason there's so much variety in the world is because women became the top consumers.

Why do you see it as a battleground? Very extreme POV. Most women just want to look nice. Putting on my mascara in the morning is not akin to loading a pistol, I just want my eyelashes to be visible as I'm blonde and want to look my best leaving my house.

I'd say most women get dolled up to go out because they like the attention they get from guys or they simply want to feel attractive walking around - It's hardly rocket science (although it could be Biology).

And women consume more than men worldwide? Highly doubt that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Ok, so you now admit you don't actually think a small bit of make-up "looks stupid". Good.
    Lol at the attempts on these threads to pretend to be all "non superficial" and depict women as vacuous bints. YOU guys are the ones who aren' t fooling anyone :D
    Whether you prefer a more "interesting" face (whatever the **** that means) there will still be plenty of women wearing a bit of make-up whom you'll fancy.
    A big part of women getting dolled up is to make themselves attractive to men, and men do become attracted to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I think she'd look nicer in both photographs if she feckin smiled :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Ah for crying out loud OP, warn people when you are linking them to the Daily Mail.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

I'm all for anyone enhancing themselves in ways they feel make them more confident, I find girls who wear make up attractive, and if she looks completely different in the morning, of course I don't consider it a "betrayal", utter nonsense.

I used wear new rocks shoes myself which added at least two inches to my height (took me up to the 6ft mark), but no girl ever commented when the shoes came off and I was suddenly revealed as a shortarse :pac:

Why do you see it as a battleground?
    Because that's the way nature is, just like men try to be the alpha in a group through domination women use their aesthetic prowess to rise up the ladder to alpha female. All humans have basic animal behaviour at their core.
    (although it could be Biology).
    Exactly, there's always some biological factor pushing us into doing things without us even realising we're doing them.

And women consume more than men worldwide? Highly doubt that.
    The makeup business is bigger than the weapons trade business. It's huge. You seriously don't think men are bigger consumers than women?
    Ok, so you now admit you don't actually think a small bit of make-up "looks stupid". Good.
    I didn't admit anything. :D make up seems stupid to me, whether it's a little or a lot. The whole concept is daft as far as I'm concerned. I realise that makes me a stick in the mud but, so be it.

Lol at the attempts on these threads to pretend to be all "non superficial" and depict women as vacuous bints. YOU guys are the ones who aren' t fooling anyone :D
    I don't know where you're getting this from. I'm not saying women are vacuous because they wear makeup. I understand they like it, I just don't really see the point. It's outdated and unnecessary.

Whether you prefer a more "interesting" face (whatever the **** that means) there will still be plenty of women wearing a bit of make-up whom you'll fancy.
    Of course.
    A big part of women getting dolled up is to make themselves attractive to men, and men do become attracted to them.
    If women didn't wear makeup they'd still have men hanging off them. We don't care. I think most womens perfume smells like a chemical you'd use to unblock drains. I don't think there are many men that like the smell of womens perfume until they've attached that smell to a woman they like.

Of course at the end of the day women want to attract men and visa versa, but even if women decided to wear garbage bags it wouldn't stop men from being attracted to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Men say they much prefer women without make up, Im willing to bet money each one would prefer me with make up! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

[QUOTE=ScumLord;87064437.

Of course at the end of the day women want to attract men and visa versa, but even if women decided to wear garbage bags it wouldn't stop men from being attracted to them.[/QUOTE]

low cut garbage bags?:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Why do women wear make up and perfume, because they are ugly and they smell.

Advertisement