Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is wearing make-up a 'betrayal'?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Would love to know how to put on black (pencil) eyeliner properly though!
    If you're not confident about it being too heavy, apply the pencil lightly to the bit of eyelid right next to your eyelashes, right around to your lower lashes. If it's too sharp-looking and you want to blend it to make it look a bit smokey: teeny bit of Vaseline or moisturiser and just gently blend it in with the help of that "lube".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

If you're not confident about it being too heavy, apply the pencil lightly to the bit of eyelid right next to your eyelashes, right around to your lower lashes. If it's too sharp-looking and you want to blend it to make it look a bit smokey: teeny bit of Vaseline or moisturiser and just gently blend it in with the help of that "lube".

Will give it a lash next time I head out (off the drink right now so slobbing about the house for the month). Have done a few times but can't get it right. The lube is a good tip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭The Big Smoke

Lube has many uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

There are some good youtube tutorials, but most of the time I'll need my interest to be sparked elsewhere by someone I've seen wearing something well before I'll have the patience to sit through one of those. Say for example a friend or work colleague, passer-by, random celebrity etc wearing something fantastically and I'll be inspired to give it a shot myself.

Asking people what they're using / how they applied something is a great ice-breaker too - I used to work with a bunch of beautifully groomed Canadian women and sometimes one of them would walk passed my desk looking fabulous and I'd veer the conversation that way - "your eyes look amazing! What is that? How did you apply it?" Being naturally nosy helps!

And beauty counters. Any time I run out of something, foundation or whatever, I'll always have a bit of a browse and ask a one of the makeup artists to help me out with selecting and applying something that catches my eye, a new eyeshadow or eyeliner or something. You'll find they're always helpful and give great advice because it's their job (and usually passion) to advise women on the right product to suit their complexion, skin type etc.

You can find inspiration anywhere really. I'm sitting here watching The Late Late and just saw Amy Huberman looking infuriatingly gorgeous, with perfectly applied makeup and particularly stunning eyes - so I've been thinking, "hmmm, smoky eye with brown eyeshadow and shading...must try that next time"!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭Aotearoa

when you are jangling a bloke you know what you are getting.when you are pounding the heart and soul out of a shelia you dont know what will greet yoU in the AM. that what you mean OP?

• Advertisement

lukesmom wrote: »
    I know and I do sympathise with lads in that regard. I don't know how they cope.

We cope by not letting it bother us, quite simply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭jantheman91

That article is incredible. I've seen some women able to pull that off but what that picture shows takes it above and beyond.

I think it's quite frustrating for us men. We go out to clubs, pubs and are naked in a facial sense with all our blemishes in full view and ready for critiquing.

On the other hand, women can go out looking like that and nobody knows.

In before ''What's stopping men from wearing make-up''. No, just no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I can't apply make up, so don't try anything experimental (except very red lip stain earlier this year which I liked a lot). How did you learn how to do it?

It's whatever looks good on you, if you have dry skin then use an oily foundation (revlon colourstay oily skin) if you have red skin then use a counter product, if you have oily skin then use revlon dry skin foundation.....thats what I do! dark circles, then use a green concealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

ScumLord wrote: »
    The two photos are purposely made to be strikingly different. The one on the right is framed slightly differently, is using a different focal length to flatten the face and so on. These are camera tricks. At the end of the day we can't really record a person's beauty using a camera effectively. We have to use tricks to make up for the lack of presence.

I think makeup looks stupid, it never looks right to me. It always looks like a adult going around painted up like a child, it's completely lost on me and I'd suspect many men might be the same.

But then it's got little to do with mens reactions, it's a battle of aesthetics amongst women.

Thats a bit full on about a harmless thing like wearing makeup.

Personally I wouldn't be one of the "many men" you seem to think share your view.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Tony EH wrote: »
    Personally, I dislike make up, but I hate the crippling effects that the cosmetic industry inflict upon girls and women every day of their lives.

It may come as some surprise to a lot of women and men too, but most guys couldn't give a tinkers cuss about make-up.

But it's not just make up. Nearly everything about how women dress is fake. Sheer tights, push up/together bras, high heels, figure forming jeans, shaped shirts/blouses etc. It's all a bull**** illusion designed to disguise non-existent shortcomings.

The vast majority of women will even dye their hair at the first signs of a bit of grey.

And don't even get me started on collagen, botox, or other extreme nonsense.

I genuinely feel sorry for the fairer sex. They have so much pressure thrust upon them in this regard. It's an awful psychological burden and for some girls, a terrible handicap.

Christ that's a fairly depressing picture your painting there.

• Advertisement

It's whatever looks good on you, if you have dry skin then use an oily foundation (revlon colourstay oily skin) if you have red skin then use a counter product, if you have oily skin then use revlon dry skin foundation.....thats what I do! dark circles, then use a green concealer.

The basics I have down but the advanced stuff is over my head. I'm talking more about the eye make up. Foundation I don't really wear often as my skin is decent although I own some that matches my skin tone and skin type perfectly and I like to be as au natural as possible but sometimes I want to look special and don't really know how.

Take it to the beauty forum, says you lot, wha!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

The misogyny in here is really quite depressing and sinister. Women who wear make-up and nice clothes accused of being fake, giving a false impression, talk of 'waking up in the morning' and discovering what women 'really look like'. Making it all about men. Has it ever occurred to you that some women just like looking nice and enjoy experimenting with make-up and nice clothes? I'm not trying to attract anyone. I already have a fiance. Not trying to compete with anyone either. I just like to look my best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Bullseye

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    The misogyny in here is really quite depressing and sinister. Women who wear make-up and nice clothes accused of being fake, giving a false impression, talk of 'waking up in the morning' and discovering what women 'really look like'. Making it all about men. Has it ever occurred to you that some women just like looking nice and enjoy experimenting with make-up and nice clothes? I'm not trying to attract anyone. I already have a fiance. Not trying to compete with anyone either. I just like to look my best.

Its a bit presumptuous to assume people hate women because of the above beliefs, while many of the above beliefs may be wrong that doesn't mean they hate women.

what does it mean to " make it all about men"?

Bullseye wrote: »
    Its a bit presumptuous to assume people hate women because of the above beliefs, while many of the above beliefs may be wrong that doesn't mean they hate women.

I'm not so sure. It's all very bitter.

Most of the men posting about this topic are making it about themselves , i.e. 'Women wear make-up to attract men and it's false advertising'. It has absolutely sweet fck all to do with you if I dye my grey hair or wear eyeliner. Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

^ AMEN

Most of the men posting about this topic are making it about themselves , i.e. 'Women wear make-up to attract men and it's false advertising'. It has absolutely sweet fck all to do with you if I dye my grey hair or wear eyeliner. Nothing.

Everyone is allowed their opinion why people do things, including wearing make up.

If a man only likes natural brunettes ( an arbitrary example) and is being asked out by a woman then it is his business to know whether she is a natural brunette. The same is true with genders reversed.

She's not referring to every male poster on here but there's definitely a few posters that would leave you wondering - took the whole debate a step too far tbh.

Not the ones who simply said they didn't like make up.

Have you read the thread?

You also do it because you're in competition with other women - our sole goal when we get ready in the morning is to outdo each other. You didn't know this, obviously but what would you know?

She's not referring to every male poster on here but there's definitely a few posters that would leave you wondering - took the whole debate a step too far tbh.

Not the ones who simply said they didn't like make up.

Have you read the thread?

I don't doubt there are mysogynists on after hours buy to assume mysogyny because someone thinks women wear make up to compete with each other is mistaken imo. Sometimes people just believe something that is wrong. Doesnt mean it comes from hatred, maybe it does, maybe it doesn't.

I don't doubt there are mysogynists on after hours.

;)

• Advertisement

Everyone is allowed their opinion why people do things, including wearing make up.

If a man only likes natural brunettes ( an arbitrary example) and is being asked out by a woman then it is his business to know whether she is a natural brunette. The same is true with genders reversed.

Why is it his business? And why does it matter? He likes brown hair, her hair is brown.

It's just amazing that some women just don't feel happy with how they look naturally, especially when said women look beautiful.

You also do it because you're in competition with other women - our sole goal when we get ready in the morning is to outdo each other. You didn't know this, obviously but what would you know?

That's right legs eleven I actually take it one step further, pop around and see what my neighbour looks like in the morning and try out do her. Sure that's us women eh ? :)

You don't notice when a woman is wearing make up? It's on her face as plain as day.

It's just amazing that some women just don't feel happy with how they look naturally, especially when said women look beautiful.

Because we like make up. It's fun and makes us feel good.

I have a preference for men with larger willies yet men try to deceive me by covering it up with trousers! :mad: It's immoral!

Why is it his business? And why does it matter? He likes brown hair, her hair is brown.

If person likes x trait in potential partner then it is in their interest to know if they have x trait.

lukesmom wrote: »
    Because we like make up. It's fun and makes us feel good.

But how would you feel if you walked around outside with no makeup on? I know many women to whom such an idea would be completely heinous! That's what I mean.
    I have a preference for men with larger willies yet men try to deceive me by covering it up with trousers! :mad: It's immoral!

That's not even a valid comparison. The only real valid one would be if men were to stuff their boxers with socks or whatnot.

If person likes x trait in potential partner then it is in their interest to know if they have x trait.

I'm just going to reply to this with the post I replied to your last post with as you didn't bother responding.

You originally said it was part of the mating game and now you're implying something else...
    Immoral is a very strong word and way too much for this

Everyone puts their best foot forward when meeting a potential mate. It's the mating game, as you said. My boyfriend didn't know about how I sometimes fly off the handle, my untidiness, my propensity to sometimes get too drunk and rant etc. and I didn't know about his farting problem and the fact that he likes to complain a fair bit.

He didn't fart till about month 3, in fact and then I decided if it was a problem for me or not (it obviously wasn't). I was free to leave him if I chose to. That's hardly immoral.

Most men see their partner without make up in the early stages of the relationship and then they can decide for themselves if they want to continue with them. It'd be different now if the woman never showed her face, waited till they got married and THEN decided to reveal all. Even then, the man is free to leave but this rarely happens.

• Advertisement

But how would you feel if you walked around outside with no makeup on? I know many women to whom such an idea would be completely heinous! That's what I mean.

That's not even a valid comparison. The only real valid one would be if men were to stuff their boxers with socks or whatnot.

Some women is not the majority though.

Edit: You know it's some women, so I retract this post.

Advertisement