Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is wearing make-up a 'betrayal'?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I don't spend time doing my makeup because I want to attract people, to have people love me for how I look with makeup (:confused: ), the ritual of applying it is relaxing and something I enjoy.

Me too. The application process can be incredibly therapeutic and creative, I always look forward to it. And it's confidence boosting to watch yourself enhancing your best features - bigger eyes, higher cheekbones, plump lips.

It's something I do to help me feel good about myself, just like going to the gym and eating healthily.

A betrayal? Feck off. They make me feel more like ME - the best, happiest version of Beks101.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

beks101 wrote: »
    Me too. The application process can be incredibly therapeutic and creative, I always look forward to it.
    That is one of the better excuses reasons I've heard for putting on makeup. Like I've been saying it's an aesthetic challenge that women like to do and there is a competitive element to it.

Regardless women don't need to wear makeup for mens benefit. Men should never be blamed for women spending so much time on makeup. It's more for the individual womans benefit and the women she knows than it is for mens benefit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

ScumLord wrote: »
    That is one of the better excuses reasons I've heard for putting on makeup. Like I've been saying it's an aesthetic challenge that women like to do and there is a competitive element to it.

Regardless women don't need to wear makeup for mens benefit. Men should never be blamed for women spending so much time on makeup. It's more for the individual womans benefit and the women she knows than it is for mens benefit.

You're just putting your own subjective slant on what she said - it's really bizarre. :confused: How can you prove this so-called "competitive element"?

Who's blaming men? The article blames women of treachery, for the love of jaysus. Blame has been put squarely on the woman.

So much time? Most women? Eh...no.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Bullseye

Im surprised the issue of deception and the morality of it hasn't really come up. There is an argument that it is immoral to knowingly depict a false image of your self to attract a mate. I don't think its immoral myself, I think its simply part of the mating game, nonetheless its a strong argument.

Looks like most women on this thread put it on to feel better about themselves - I can't see any competitiveness here at all. Am I wrong, ladies?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Looks like most women on this thread put it on to feel better about themselves - I can't see any competitiveness here at all. Am I wrong, ladies?

Well..they're not going to admit it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭The Big Smoke

Makeup is like a cucumber down your pants, but for women.

Bullseye wrote: »
    Im surprised the issue of deception and the morality of it hasn't really come up. There is an argument that it is immoral to knowingly depict a false image of your self to attract a mate. I don't think its immoral myself, I think its simply part of the mating game, nonetheless its a strong argument.

Deception = betrayal. That's what the thread is about.

The question of morality hasn't come up because it's not relevant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I dislike the fact that I get criticized by women for not wearing much makeup. I do wear lipstick but that would be the extent of it. I do take a pride in my appearance but do not feel that heavy makeup is for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Your not wrong. No competitiveness at all . I wouldn't have posted the before pic if I was in competition. My skin is clearly the worst out of all 3 photos put up. It's just to show how make up helps me so much. My skin used to be perfect but I'm on medication that causes acne and I definitely cannot come off the med at the moment. So make up is my best friend to save embarrassment of a 33 year old with teenage skin problems :)

• Advertisement

SV wrote: »
    Well..they're not going to admit it :p

Right then, I wear mascara because I'm in competition with my two best female friends here. I'm winning, obviously.

lukesmom wrote: »
    Your not wrong. No competitiveness at all . I wouldn't have posted the before pic if I was in competition. My skin is clearly the worst out of all 3 photos put up. It's just to show how make up helps me so much. My skin used to be perfect but I'm on medication that causes acne and I definitely cannot come off the med at the moment. So make up is my best friend to save embarrassment of a 33 year old with teenage skin problems :)

Blokes don't have the luxury of covering it up. I get spots too and it sucks.:(

At least you get to cover them up.

Exactly!

Either way, you're beautiful with and without make up. Genuinely.

If you walk around, the majority of women don't have a lot of make up on if any at all. If we were in competition, surely we'd all be made up all the time?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 45 Bullseye

Deception = betrayal. That's what the thread is about.

The question of morality hasn't come up because it's not relevant.

Morality is relevant. It could easily be deemed immoral to deceive potential mates into thinking you look more attractive than you actually are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I look plain as f*ck without make up, I often go out without it though. I dont think I wear much anyway, dont ever wear eyeshadow or eyeliner, never wear dark lipstick.

If I was in competition with someone I wouldnt have posted my picture!!

I know and I do sympathise with lads in that regard. I don't know how they cope.

If you walk around, the majority of women don't have a lot of make up on if any at all. If we were in competition, surely we'd all be made up all the time?

It must be the oompa loompas from charlie and the chocolate factory walking around then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

you don't look anywhere near 33, I think you look great btw.

pharmaton wrote: »
    you don't look anywhere near 33, I think you look great btw.

Thanks a lot seriously

• Advertisement

Well, just go on a tangent here..any girl I've asked about why they wear high heels or freeze themselves half to death on nights out wearing pretty much nothing when most lads really don't give a shíte has always said "It's not for the lads benefit, other girls would be looking"
    It isn't far to think that make up gets applied for the same reason.

Well, just go on a tangent here..any girl I've asked about why they wear high heels or freeze themselves half to death on nights out wearing pretty much nothing when most lads really don't give a shíte has always said "It's not for the lads benefit, other girls would be looking"

That's a load of sh!te

Bullseye wrote: »
    Morality is relevant. It could easily be deemed immoral to deceive potential mates into thinking you look more attractive than you actually are.

Immoral is a very strong word and way too much for this

Everyone puts their best foot forward when meeting a potential mate. It's the mating game, as you said. My boyfriend didn't know about how I sometimes fly off the handle, my untidiness, my propensity to sometimes get too drunk and rant etc. and I didn't know about his farting problem and the fact that he likes to complain a fair bit.

He didn't fart till about month 3, in fact and then I decided if it was a problem for me or not (it obviously wasn't). I was free to leave him if I chose to. That's hardly immoral.

Most men see their partner without make up in the early stages of the relationship and then they can decide for themselves if they want to continue with them. It'd be different now if the woman never showed her face, waited till they got married and THEN decided to reveal all. Even then, the man is free to leave but this rarely happens.

I've never heard a woman say that. In fairness, most women I know wouldn't be stupid enough to not a wear a coat on a night out. It's only a handful of women of a certain age who do that - most women on a night out in Winter would wear a coat.

And what about the women who change their shoes during the night to flats or walk home with their shoes in their hands? I presume they're doing that for no one but themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Smoke you can get concealer specifically designed for male skin types to cover acne and acne scars. I couldn't possibly recommend one for you, but if you tip into your local chemist they should be able to offer some advice -

http://www.mensmake-up.co.uk/blog/cover-acne-scars-with-concealer-for-men/

I used have woeful problems with blackheads myself and used have to use concealer, I got so frustrated by them that I razed the top layer of my skin on my face with a single blade razor and a nailbrush, which obviously only made the problem worse. That was when I decided to go to my GP who put me on a course of "Retin A" and after a couple of weeks my skin improved immensely.

That's a load of sh!te

Total garbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Photos can be deceiving. The girl who posted the before photo with the cold sores - horrible lighting and an unflattering angle. You'd have to see someone in person to make a better judgment.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    Smoke you can get concealer specifically designed for male skin types to cover acne and acne scars. I couldn't possibly recommend one for you, but if you tip into your local chemist they should be able to offer some advice -

http://www.mensmake-up.co.uk/blog/cover-acne-scars-with-concealer-for-men/

I used have woeful problems with blackheads myself and used have to use concealer, I got so frustrated by them that I razed the top layer of my skin on my face with a single blade razor and a nailbrush, which obviously only made the problem worse. That was when I decided to go to my GP who put me on a course of "Retin A" and after a couple of weeks my skin improved immensely.

Thanks for that, might head to the GP.

That's a load of sh!te

I'm only repeating what has been said to me. Obviously it doesn't count for you, then.
    I've never heard a woman say that. In fairness, most women I know wouldn't be stupid enough to not a wear a coat on a night out. It's only a handful of women of a certain age who do that - most women on a night out in Winter would wear a coat.

And what about the women who change their shoes during the night to flats or walk home with their shoes in their hands? I presume they're doing that for no one but themselves.

It was actually the shoes thing that brought it up, I asked them why they bother with high heels at all when they cause them so much pain, which led on to the clothes discussion.

• Advertisement

I'm only repeating what has been said to me. Obviously it doesn't count for you, then.

It was actually the shoes thing that brought it up, I asked them why they bother with high heels at all when they cause them so much pain, which led on to the clothes discussion.

People do things for different reasons. Just cos the girls you know wear heels for other women, doesn't mean we all do.

Advertisement