Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

vanEpgE.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

20150112.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

334656.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators Posts: 51,739 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Snowmen condemned in Saudi Arabia amid concern they 'promote lustiness and eroticism'
    A prominent Saudi Arabian cleric has whipped up controversy by issuing a religious ruling forbidding the building of snowmen, describing them as anti-Islamic.

When asked on a religious website if it was permissible for fathers to build snowmen for their children after a snowstorm in the country's north, Sheikh Mohammed Saleh al-Munajjid replied: "It is not permitted to make a statue out of snow, even by way of play and fun."

Quoting from Muslim scholars, Sheikh Munajjid argued that to build a snowman was to create an image of a human being, an action considered sinful under the kingdom's strict interpretation of Sunni Islam.

Damn sexy snowmen :P

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

SW wrote: »

I thought it was Muhammed you weren't supposed to make an image of, because he's so holey or something (yes I intentionally mis-spelled it)?
    So taking all bets! How long until photographs and cameras are banned? One week, two weeks? A month? I've got 10 to one odds on six months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

SW wrote: »

On another point.
    This is a Saudi cleric. I know there is a lot of cash floating about there for air-conditioning and other climate control systems but just how much snow does this guy see on a daily basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Worztron wrote: »
    334656.jpg
    Anyone else see something they can't unsee in the one on the right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

ThYvAFi.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Not especially funny ha, ha, but certainly an unusual departure by Pope Frank. I wonder if he's relaxed his employees' shouty rules about hats?

Pope Francis tells mothers at the Sistine Chapel to feel free to breastfeed

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/11/pope-francis-mothers-breastfeed-sistine-chapel
    Pope Francis baptised 33 infants in the Sistine Chapel on Sunday and told the mothers to feel free to breastfeed them if they cried or were hungry. “You mothers give your children milk and even now, if they cry because they are hungry, breastfeed them, don’t worry,” he said, departing from his prepared text.

The written text of his homily had the phrase “give them milk”, but he changed it to use the Italian term allattateli, which means “breastfeed them”, and he added that the mothers should not hesitate. As the 20 girls and 13 boys in the room cried, Francis asked his listeners to remember poor mothers around the world, “too many, unfortunately, who can’t give food to their children”.

Even before he read the homily, at least one mother was seen breastfeeding, perhaps recalling that the pope had used similar words before to make mothers feel at ease.

ThYvAFi.jpg

Nice guy, Pat Robertson. So nice, that he invested in a diamond mine run via slave labour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    Nice guy, Pat Robertson. So nice, that he invested in a diamond mine run via slave labour.

Sure, it's the will of the free market. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm pretty sure there's a forgotten part of the bible after Jesus threw the moneylenders out of the temple, he invited in the venture capitalists and crowdfunders.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Michael OBrien

I thought it was Muhammed you weren't supposed to make an image of, because he's so holey or something (yes I intentionally mis-spelled it)?
    So taking all bets! How long until photographs and cameras are banned? One week, two weeks? A month? I've got 10 to one odds on six months!

The spirit of the law behind forbidding images is often forgotten by the people who go nuts like this. The idea is to prevent idol worship. Anyone with any common sense would not consider a snowman any threat.
    I was thinking about such issues with the recent murders in France because of the so called disrespectful cartoons.
    The spirit of the law does not apply in that circumstance either. There is no chance of anyone NOT a muslim worshipping any image of Muhammed and there is no chance realistically of any muslim worshipping satirical images of Mu either.
    Of course other parts of the koran can be used to justify anything, but it is something few talk about.
    The only images that should be frowned upon are religiously respectful, artistically pleasing renditions of Muhammed done by his followers as they are the only ones that run any risk of fit'na.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

And used funds collected for charitable purposes to buy and fly mining equipment there.

And used funds collected for charitable purposes to buy and fly mining equipment there.

Yep. I read the wikipedia page titled "Criticisms against Pat Robertson". A very long list of things that he should have been locked up for.

334861.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Hard to know where to put this, maybe in the Hazards thread:

Ultra orthodox Jewish newspaper edits female world leaders out of Charlie Hebdo march:

http://www.mediaite.com/online/ultra-orthodox-jewish-newspaper-edits-female-world-leaders-out-of-charlie-hebdo-march/

haredi-paper.jpg

• Moderators Posts: 51,739 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

335040.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Satanic Cyanide would be an awesome name for a band...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Dyslexic carpet maker strikes Texas. No dammit, it's Florida. It's always Florida.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30828694

335159.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Um. That's a map of Florida in the middle.

335197.jpg

335204.jpg

335208.jpg

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Um. That's a map of Florida in the middle.

What does it say below the map? Certainly not "In God we trust"...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

What does it say below the map? Certainly not "In God we trust"...

I got the funneh, I was just pointing out that it's not Texas, which has since been taken on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So if Florida is America's flaccid penis, which bit is the ars*hole?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Advertisement