Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Funny (ha, ha)' side of religion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Cologne Cathedral has its own twitter account, and performs the following vital service:

335666.jpg

For anybody who's life is too long, here are two groups on facebook worth checking out:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nonexistingdinosaurs/
    Christians against dinosaurs - a group with around 12,500 members dedicated so far as I can see from the outside, to the proposition that dinosaurs never existed.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DACWAAD/
    Dinosaurs Against Christians Who Are Against Dinosaurs - a group of around 2,000 dedicated to objecting to the first group.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

robindch wrote: »
    Cologne Cathedral has its own twitter account, and performs the following vital service:

335666.jpg

RTE should adopt this so they could have angelus for the deaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,134 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

For anybody who's life is too long, here are two groups on facebook worth checking out:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nonexistingdinosaurs/
    Christians against dinosaurs - a group with around 12,500 members dedicated so far as I can see from the outside, to the proposition that dinosaurs never existed.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/DACWAAD/
    Dinosaurs Against Christians Who Are Against Dinosaurs - a group of around 2,000 dedicated to objecting to the first group.

I might start a group Atheists Against Christian Dinosaurs. Might give me something to live for in my meaningless existence,
    now that the Packers' season is over.

smacl wrote: »
    RTE should adopt this so they could have angelus for the deaf.
    I'm sure it wouldn't be impossible for somebody unconnected with RTE to set up an account to do it.

With a daily picture of people looking dreamily up into the sky, smiling wanly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I'm sure it wouldn't be impossible for somebody unconnected with RTE to set up an account to do it.

With a daily picture of people looking dreamily up into the sky, smiling wanly.

Or the RTE could just put big Bong! subtitles on the current angelus :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

smacl wrote: »
    Or the RTE could just put big Bong! subtitles on the current angelus :)

For any parents of young children who are reading this, did any of you get a Peppa Pig reference there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

CramCycle wrote: »
    For any parents of young children who are reading this, did any of you get a Peppa Pig reference there?
    I have a five year old girl, so yes I get it all too well. Anybody fancy some rashers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I might start a group Atheists Against Christian Dinosaurs. Might give me something to live for in my meaningless existence,
    now that the Packers' season is over.

Join Us! You know you want to. Join Us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Ah I remember watching News for the Deaf on RTE when I was about 8, I used to think that the presenter was reading the news and pulling a big sheet of paper with the words on it over his desk while he did so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Worztron

335710.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

legspin wrote: »
    Anybody fancy some rashers?
    When I come in from jumping up and down in muddy puddles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

335666.jpg

I guess that's one way to raise your dongers. ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I was trying to work out why the count was going down... I think I spend too much time on Boards reading in a top to bottom fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭smokingman

CramCycle wrote: »

Catchiest.Tune.Ever
    Also a great tune to get the guitar out for at a party!

335825.jpg

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

335842.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

Worztron wrote: »
    335825.jpg

I thought Judaism didn't have a concept of hell - they have sheol, where all people go when they die, which is not a place of everlasting torment, unlike in the other religions.
    For a bit of funny, when I googled sheol, the very first result was for the level in the Binding of Isaac video game, and not the wikipedia entry for the Judaic belief.

Government calls on Christian churches to explain how Bible can be compatible with British values

http://newsthump.com/2015/01/20/government-calls-on-christian-churches-to-explain-how-bible-can-be-compatible-with-british-values/
    NewsThump wrote:
    Communities Secretary Eric Pickles has written to Christian organisations asking them to explain to their congregations how the genocidal, ethnocentric god of the Old Testament can be squared with secular British society. The letter comes after he sent a letter to mosques emphasising the need for Imams to show how Islam is compatible with British values.

“We have serious concerns about the more extreme aspects of Christianity”, Mr Pickles said. “The Bible actually states that God commanded the Hebrews to commit genocide against the Canaanites – can you believe that?” “And this one poor chap, Abraham, is told to kill his own son! These atrocities are totally out of step with modern British values.”

Christian leaders were highly critical of the letter, claiming it unfairly targeted their religion. Archbishop Justin Welby, head of one Christian group, was appalled. He told us, “It’s very easy to target Christians right now, what with all the bad press surrounding Christian atrocities. The vast majority of British Christians do not support the extremist claims of the Roman Catholic Church. The Pope is certainly not the universal leader of Christians, no matter how much territory in Europe he controls.”

UKIP leader and mouthpiece of freedom, Nigel Farage, was quick to support the letter. “Everyone knows Christianity is not British. It is a foreign import brought here by European immigrants. The first Archbishop of Canterbury wasn’t even British, he was a bloody Italian!” Mr Farage also said that Christianity had previously been used to justify undemocratic governments and unpopular wars in the Middle East.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Ah I remember watching News for the Deaf on RTE when I was about 8, I used to think that the presenter was reading the news and pulling a big sheet of paper with the words on it over his desk while he did so.

Knowing RTÉ he or she probably still is.

335929.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭IT-Guy

The end of South Park episode 201 was censored. It's message is all the more relevant given recent events in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

They always claimed the episode was censored but I remain suspicious that it's intentional and part of the meta-ness of the double episode.

336044.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The bible is against Christmas trees

https://www.bible.com/en-GB/bible/1/jer.10.kjv
    Thus saith the Lord, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them.
    For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe.
    They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭RikuoAmero

Cabaal wrote: »
    The bible is against Christmas trees

https://www.bible.com/en-GB/bible/1/jer.10.kjv

That's the King James. Catholics would just ignore that passage, secure in the knowledge that their version of the bible doesn't have it and that the pope has nothing against it (just checked, the Good News version has the same passage, but do you think this will matter?)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

RikuoAmero wrote: »
    That's the King James. Catholics would just ignore that passage, secure in the knowledge that their version of the bible doesn't have it and that the pope has nothing against it (just checked, the Good News version has the same passage, but do you think this will matter?)

Sure they just ignore what they don't like anyway, "selective belief"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Advertisement