Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Well, that's an odd choice...
    Chris O’Dowd to play Irish sports journalist in Lance Armstrong biopic
    Shooting to begin tomorrow on film based on David Walsh’s book about disgraced cyclist

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/chris-o-dowd-to-play-irish-sports-journalist-in-lance-armstrong-biopic-1.1563172

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

buffalo wrote: »
    Well, that's an odd choice.../QUOTE]
    All depends on whether he can loose the Roscommon accent for it or not, great actor but I have never heard him with an accent that is not his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Advice on hedge-fighting distributed to the Irish Volunteers
    Hedge-Fighting for Small Units - It will sometimes be possible for a solitary cyclist sniper well posted on a road to enfilade transverse hedges from the road. This would help to frustrate turning movements by small 'parties in the immediate nieghbourhood of the road.

A good cyclist should be able to spring on his machine instantly and sprint off at top speed from such a position when once it became untenable.

Cycles in cases of necessity are not absolutely confined to roads; they can wheel their machines along paths and thus escape across country if cut off. If the cyclists are laying an ambush their safest way of retreat may be across country for some distance and then by cycle on a different road. In that case the best place for their machines to begin with would be the second road.

........I'd be captured at the first try :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Jawgap wrote: »
    Advice on hedge-fighting distributed to the Irish Volunteers

........I'd be captured at the first try :D

Several attempts were made during Easter 1916 to get past the armed OTC Garrison in Trinity College by cycling at speed across College Green. They were unsuccessful...before SRAM Force chains it was impossible to outrun bullets.

• Advertisement

Have been pondering a peaked winter cap. Originally I was just looking at the peaked version of my current Baa Baa merino skullcap but the Belgian style caps and the Craft winter hat have also piqued my interest.

Several attempts were made during Easter 1916 to get past the armed OTC Garrison in Trinity College by cycling at speed across College Green. They were unsuccessful...before SRAM Force chains it was impossible to outrun bullets.

Kevlar tyres would have helped too.....and helmets.....and hi-viz

During de Emergency (WWII for our British viewers) the Cavalry Corps included 14 Cyclist Squadrons. Each Squadron had an establishment of 118 (all ranks), and was organised much like an infantry rifle company. Each Squadron included a number of motor cycles and light lorries in the support role.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

History lessons. And the division between Jan and the party bus grows.

Perhaps the bus should be stickied as the quality of both threads is better than what was the single campervan thread.... Just saying is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Idleater wrote: »
    Have you tried turning the blood off and on again?

Richard Ayoade - Paul Kimmage.
    Matt Berry - McQuaid.
    Chris Morris - Verbruggen.

I may have had a lot of coffee this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

daragh_ wrote: »
    Richard Ayoade - Paul Kimmage.
    Matt Berry - McQuaid.
    Chris Morris - Verbruggen.

I may have had a lot of coffee this morning.

I don't know who any of those people are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Paul Kimmage is a journalist, McQuaid was head of the UCI until recently, and Verbuggen was there before him. All clear now?

Omar Sharif to play McQuaid.........

....oh wait, he was Egyptian, not Moroccan........

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Paul Kimmage is an author and journalist, he is most known for his questions put to Armstrong (the cyclist) during tour de France interviews.

Pat Mc Quaid is the Irishman who was recently beaten in a leadership contest in cycling's governing body.

Hein Verbruggen was president of cycling's governing body during the "Armstrong era"

Hope that helps :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

I ride a 175mm crank now, will there be much power difference if I go larger/smaller?!

Harvey Keitel or DeNiro would be a good fit as Kimmage IMO.

John Price (The Kennedys / Pirates of the Caribbean...) as McQuaid.

Christopher Plummber as Verbruggen.

Zyzz wrote: »
    I ride a 175mm crank now, will there be much power difference if I go larger/smaller?!

I fail to see the relevance of this question to the casting of the Lance Armstrong movie.

Also I seem to recall the notion of crank length directly impacting power being discredited?

I fail to see the relevance of this question to the casting of the Lance Armstrong movie.

Also I seem to recall the notion of crank length directly impacting power being discredited?

Apologies, Id cast Enda Kenny as Lance as they're both <snip>

Lol snipped..but you get the idea

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

our local shop says that sports supplements will now be 23% vat rated as opposed to 0%. didnt see this anywhere is it true ?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

our local shop says that sports supplements will now be 23% vat rated as opposed to 0%. didnt see this anywhere is it true ?

Yes. I think effective from 1 November.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

• Advertisement

AstraMonti wrote: »

Can't wait to get my teeth into that..

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Have been pondering a peaked winter cap. Originally I was just looking at the peaked version of my current Baa Baa merino skullcap but the Belgian style caps and the Craft winter hat have also piqued my interest.

Well done.
    You have just chosen yourself to be the new organiser for a new Rapha winter hat group buy.
    Yes count me in.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Zyzz wrote: »

I moved from a 175 to 172.5 and I didnt notice any power loss but a lot of niggling knee things went away.
    I also changed pedals to a wider platform so that may have helped.

bcmf wrote: »
    Well done.
    You have just chosen yourself to be the new organiser for a new Rapha winter hat group buy.
    Yes count me in.
    Thanks

Seconded. Put me down for a country one.

In fairness, the money to run the country has to come from somewhere and if the full rate of VAT didn't apply to cycling related stuff such as this and other trivial things like helmets, other areas - more socially beneficial - might have to bear a higher VAT burden :pac:

In fairness, the money to run the country has to come from somewhere and if the full rate of VAT didn't apply to cycling related stuff such as this and other trivial things like helmets, other areas - more socially beneficial - might have to bear a higher VAT burden :pac:

Must resist....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Ah bless.... the first Troll post in the Jan thread.

Ah bless.... the first Troll post in the Jan thread.

Apologies - I just realised - lapdancing posts go in the party bus - mods, please relocate the offending item!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭dogsears

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement