Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They don't even pay road tax Joe. **Off topic thread**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Just wait a couple years Astra, babies and todlers are very quick learners. If you keep a decent routine you might have a decent domestique at the age of 2.

Mine has been handing me biddons every morning for the past few months when we push the bike through the kitchen in the morning, while also giving clear instructions on what flavour of high5 tablet to use. At this rate I'm expecting him to be a fully qualified director sportive by the age of 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Raam wrote: »
    Nothing to worry about it. Here are my top tips for parenthood...

* Nappy smells or full of wee? Change nappy.
    * Baby crying? Feed it or burp it.
    * Enjoy looking at it.
    * Put it to bed.

You forgot:

* Baby wakes up during the night? Pretend to be asleep and let her deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    You forgot:

* Baby wakes up during the night? Pretend to be asleep and let him deal with it.

Fixed that for you.

And don't forget to look forward to 13 years from now, and the Joycean howlwail-slam of "Nobody underSTANDS me!", if female, mutter-slam of "and the horse you came in on" if male. Ah, joyous days. Enjoy them while you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I have to come back and admit that you were all right. We should have left the baby sleep while we could. Now she is waking up screaming every 1.5h to eat . How fast things change lol
    You can reverse it, but it'll take patience and a good while of holding back. Parenting is all about mistakes and learning from them, no matter how f'kin expert other parents around you seem.

One thing we were told to try when the baby would drink only a small amount every hour or so was to feed water only to fill the belly. Do that for a couple of reps and then, when you feed milk a couple of hours later, (s)he will guzzle the lot and go off to sleep for days...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    One thing we were told to try when the baby would drink only a small amount every hour or so was to feed water only to fill the belly. Do that for a couple of reps and then, when you feed milk a couple of hours later, (s)he will guzzle the lot and go off to sleep for days...

I think that you are confusing children with snakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Fixed that for you.

And don't forget to look forward to 13 years from now, and the Joycean howlwail-slam of "Nobody underSTANDS me!", if female, mutter-slam of "and the horse you came in on" if male. Ah, joyous days. Enjoy them while you can!

Christ, I'm getting that from a six year old !! oh , and "You hurt my feelings.."

I can't wait for puberty...:eek:

Easily done :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Fixed that for you.

Its now changed to a mutter of "what?" usually you have to give upto a minute after you initially tried to interact, so they can look up from the iphone/smartphone. Its funny to see flocks of them around stillorgan shopping centre instant messaging each other despite being about a foot away from each other.

There is also the hilarity of when you try to impart advice, admitting you made those mistakes, you know how it feels to make those mistakes and they can avoid it by not doing the same as you. To which they reply "it's not like that nowadays", they then go and make the mistake you made and then you have to bite your tongue and remember not to do what your parents done and rub it in with a "I told you so" statement.

Kav0777 wrote: »
    Christ, I'm getting that from a six year old !! oh , and "You hurt my feelings.."

I can't wait for puberty...:eek:

And you have kids already? Score one for religious miracles over science!

And you have kids already? Score one for religious miracles over science!

Alas, It's just my sense of humour that is juvenile, everything else is depressingly middle aged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

CramCycle wrote: »
    you have to bite your tongue and remember not to do what your parents done and rub it in with a "I told you so" statement.

surely being able to say that is one of the main reason for having kids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

lennymc wrote: »

The more they refuse to listen to your advice the more tempted you are to rub it in their faces, but in all honesty, it's counterproductive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Chris Hoy was asked to produce his id.........to get entry to the Chris Hoy Velodrome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Surely one's id, ego and superego are difficult to make tangible and if you really managed to do so would security at a sporting even really be qualified to analyse it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Surely one's id, ego and superego are difficult to make tangible and if you really managed to do so would security at a sporting even really be qualified to analyse it?

Depends on who's doing security duty...
    “Freud as the doorman of today, the holder of the keys, of those that open as well as those that close the door, that is, the huis: onto the today or onto madness. He, Freud, is the double figure of the door or the doorkeeper. He stands guard and ushers in."

http://markalanforshee.wordpress.com/2014/01/13/derrida-listening-to-freudtrauma/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

lennymc wrote: »

Ohh no. It's when you have grandchildren this truly comes into force, as you turn to your children and just… smile… as they try to tell the grandchildren that they made the same mistake in their day…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

The worst thing with older kids is when you catch yourself uttering a phrase your parents used on you - that OMG moment when you realise you have a lot more in common with them than you realised.

My personal favourite from the vast compendium of "other parents advice/boasting" is the "we did X and now little johnny sleeps through the night/never pukes/speaks cantonese" ; often a little probling revealed a very flexible understanding of what sleeping through the night actually means - more than fours hours during the hours of darkness seemed to be about where they were at.

"we did X and now little johnny sleeps through the night/never pukes/speaks cantonese"

That was the hardest bit. It took forever to get them to stop with the bloody cantonese...

That was the hardest bit. It took forever to get them to stop with the bloody cantonese...

Yea you need mandarin to get into the good skulz these days...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

now little johnny sleeps through the night/never pukes/speaks cantonese

Oddly though, when ever you meet up, Johnny is having a bad day, "never normally like this", only every single time you meet them :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Wiggo being interviewed on bbc1 now, pretty much saying he's finished with road racing and wants to return to track racing

go off to sleep for days...

Well, if you accept Randal Monroe's mouseover hypothesis that a 'snake' is simply a human digestive tract that has escaped from its host, the confusion abates somewhat...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Doctor Bob wrote: »

I read the last word in that URL as freudturama and thought it was some weird parody show where Freud was cryogencally frozen, only to wake up 1000 years later and go to work with a Robot and a Cyclops.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

I am off to Paris this weekend and plan on catching the last stage of the TDF. Anyone who has done this i would apreciate some advice.
    I dug up this earlier thread from 2009 with some good advice.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61158782

Would love to hear from someone who has done this?

Thanks

Rua

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭scott.s

I was there for last year's finish. Bit different as it finished in the evening though.

Get to the Champs Elysee early enough. The crowds will be big but because there's so much road up and down then it should only be a few people deep at the barriers, right up until near the end.

They put big screens up so it's nice if you can get a decent vantage point for one of the screens, otherwise you'll see the riders for about 10 seconds every lap.

Always good to note: mind your belongings when you're standing around and don't get pickpocketed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Rua_ri wrote: »
    I am off to Paris this weekend and plan on catching the last stage of the TDF. Anyone who has done this i would apreciate some advice.
    I dug up this earlier thread from 2009 with some good advice.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61158782

Would love to hear from someone who has done this?

Thanks

Rua

I've been in Paris a few times for the tour. Bring something to sit on as its a looong day standing at the barrier. Pick your spot at the barrier and be prepared to be there 6-8 hours before the riders are due to arrive. IMO The Place de la Condorde offers a better vantage point. Try and get a spot near the Big TV screen or you won't see much

In fact, I'd suggest you watch it on TV as you really won't see much standing at the barriers. Last year we sat in a Pizza restaurant on the champs Elysees and watched it on TV. Every time the race passed by we just stood up on the seats and watched them go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Rua_ri

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I've been in Paris a few times for the tour. Bring something to sit on as its a looong day standing at the barrier. Pick your spot at the barrier and be prepared to be there 6-8 hours before the riders are due to arrive. IMO The Place de la Condorde offers a better vantage point. Try and get a spot near the Big TV screen or you won't see much

In fact, I'd suggest you watch it on TV as you really won't see much standing at the barriers. Last year we sat in a Pizza restaurant on the champs Elysees and watched it on TV. Every time the race passed by we just stood up on the seats and watched them go by.

Thanks for that.

Is it worth hanging around to see the presentation?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Rua_ri wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Is it worth hanging around to see the presentation?

Most of the Champs Elysee in and around the Start/Finish area is VIP only. find a location near a big screen. Or stand at the Place De la Concorde end and bring Binoculars!

The Teams used to do a lap of honour after the presentation, but last year it was an evening stage and they didn't do anything. I expect this year will be the same, so no, not worth hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

All the talk of babies in this thread makes me think this should go here:

20140725.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

^^^^^^
    First nappy change this morning lasted all of two minutes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement