Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your first memories of online gaming?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭weisses

MOHAA ... The Hunt demo on a 28.8k modem..

Time flies

When leaning was an art

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Playing with randomers over the internet didn't happen until 2009 with Uncharted 2 (surprisingly good multiplayer).

Used to attend many a LAN party round at a mate's back in the day - mostly Unreal Tournament, the original Far Cry and CoD, where the pros and cons of detail vs. framerate was argue almost as much as the games were played.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

started out on counter strike in 2004/5. When i bought half life2, my lap top was HPzd8000 thing was a beast back then. lasted me about till 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I can't be positive, but I'm fairly certain it was WarCraft 2 for PC back in the late 90's. I think it was 97 or 98?

I remember playing Diablo and StarCraft online as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 vladicaris

f-16 with modem 56k :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

DF1-game.JPG

Windows 98

Utterly blew me away.

Then Day of Defeat for 5 years....

Exactly the same for me!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

I was a late arrival to online gaming, mostly because I couldn't afford a pc.

So my first experience was with UT2004. I joined a clan and everything. Then I feel into a life sucking hole that was Eve online for 4 years.

Although I did manage to sell the later on eBay for 800 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If you had to show the xbox live kids what we put up with back in the 90's and early 00's connection wise they'd be shocked. I remember getting Half Life 2 on launch day and it took hours, might have been 3-4 to install from Steam on a 56k modem. Everyone was cursing Steam back then but look at it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭briany

krudler wrote: »
    If you had to show the xbox live kids what we put up with back in the 90's and early 00's connection wise they'd be shocked. I remember getting Half Life 2 on launch day and it took hours, might have been 3-4 to install from Steam on a 56k modem. Everyone was cursing Steam back then but look at it now.

Got that game in '04 for Christmas, ended up having to send it back because I just couldn't be doing with that Steam updating stuff over a dial up connection at 3-4 KB/s. Worked out OK because I played Half Life 1 in '05 and I got a free* copy of HL2 the following year from the Steam account I registered from the initial purchase, after BB came in.

*Legal grey area, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Steam was awful when it first came out. I completely despised using it and even lost my original account due to a complete lack of using it.

It's so much better these days, I just wish Big Picture looked a bit better and was less clunky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Steam was horrible at launch, I avoided using it where possible for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,166 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Counter Strike about 10 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I remember having to ask my mam if I could go on the dial up internet to play Starcraft with my friend from Athlone,

That was my first experience of lunatic Koreans....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

First ever multiplayer gaming was probalby on a LAN for me too. Did a PLC course in my school in 1997, and we managed to get DOOM and Quake1 runnign on our lan and that was that. Spent most of the classes just shooting the crap out of each other.
    After that i think my next foray into online was probably on PC in 2003 or so. Trying to play BF1942 on 56K dial up...good god.
    Broadband in 2004 meant actual real online gaming was possible without crippling lag, and did the whole clan thing with some epic rivalries on here between TIG and NRG...probably the best time ive ever had online gaming.
    But more or less gave it up nowadays, im jsut burned out on it. Its all more or less the same **** in a different package. Every now and then ill have a game of Red Orchestra 2, but thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Really late to the party since I didn't get broadband until 2007, but the first online game I played was Sega Rally '06. Yeah, kind of an odd choice there, but it was fun as hell. Didn't really get into online gaming until I got Warhawk. And boy was that something.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mark26

Resistance Fall Of Man which came out at PS3 Launch. Capture the Flag in Somerset is still the best fun I've had with online gaming, mostly because of the clans and the banter in which only a few hundred people played online so you kind of knew everyone. People still play it today....

Advertisement