Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your first memories of online gaming?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Chu Chu Rocket, what a game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    All we need is some one to say they were playing a MUD like dnd on a PDP-10 back in the 70's to make us all seem young.

Whats a mud pdp-10 ....what :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Not sure... Online I think it was Quake 3. I'd been playing Doom over serial and then over LAN for years but never took the plunge on internet gameplay till Quake 3, with several meters of phone cable trailing off into the hall, connection dropping whenever someone tripped on it. Still can't rocket jump properly to this day. I much prefer offline single player where I am the centre of the universe.

The first game that really made me commit to online gaming was City of Heroes in 2006, and when the servers went down a little piece of me went down with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Quake II in 1997, internet was so bad though that I couldn't play properly most of the time. Quake III and Unreal Tournament in 1999 were the first I played extensively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

For me it was the old text based MUD's which I played back in the early to mid 90's. I didn't have internet at home and the computers in the university didn't have much in terms of graphical prowess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Counter strike and day of defeat on pc. Playing on a 56k dial up. You nearly had to preempt fire at times to win. Used to be wicked quick on lan back in the day as a result. Then moved on to desert combat final mod of battlefield 1942. Ah memories

• Registered Users Posts: 34,558 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Half Life DM about 99 or so. I still remember the horror of that 90MB update download!

Used to have competitions with a few mates to see who could get the highest rank on The CLQ. Managed to get into the top 10 in the world at one point, was well chuffed :D

Tried playing Counterstrike a bit but could never get into it. Found it far too slow. Much rathered bouncing around the map, making mince meat of everyone with the Tau Cannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭simon360

Deus Ex online. I remember a hacker was on and he was spawning in all sorts of crap, it was hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Counter Strike, it was amazing at the time, 56k modem

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 waterworld87

command & conquer red alert 2 for pc it was epic im big into strategy games, still play it now and again to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,558 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

56k modem

Ah yes, 56k gaming. Where you actually had to compensate for lag :D

Really was awful looking back, but man how I loved it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Unreal Tournament, loved playing on that CTF level with the 2 pyramid towers in space. Quake 3 got a look in but I found UT more fun and varied.

Brother and I spent a lot of time playing Rainbow Six through that MSN GameZone site. Setting up a room was like how Yahoo did it with checkers or chess.

The horror, though, of being on the verge of winning a match with someone shouting at you to get off so they could use the phone.

Wasn't bothered playing online for years afterwards, always preferred split-screen gaming with mates until Left 4 Dead came around and got a good few years playing those.

Lately, myself and the brother are playing Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield co-op. Jolly hard game :pac: Using tunngle to play through all the old games these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I remember sleeping over at my mate's gaff, and his dad played Quake online on Indigo (remember them?) servers.

First game I ever played online was Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear on MSN Gaming Zone!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

did many a year of LAN gaming before properly hitting online.

Used to LAN Diablo across serial cables on three PCs in a mates house when I was a teenager. Great fun, constant drop outs meant on reload the game became more difficult as it scaled up to our latest level. Also played the first Rainbow Six for 2 player co-op, that was a blast.

In college it was Halflife DM, Counter Strike, quake 2&3 even some Battlefield 1942 at game society LANs. BF 1942 with enough people was epic.

First ever online game was prob "Hind" a helicopter flight sim, I played co-op over dialup briefly as a test with a mate. It was interesting considering we both saw different things in game at the same time, so there were some synch issues to be fair....

First major game online for me was Battlefield 2. Played that to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Chu chu rocket on the dreamcast :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Unreal Tournament for me on the PC back then when people bitched about camping and such sure i hadn't a clue what half of them were on about ??

I had my character modded and all to look like the Predator :D thems were the days

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Soldier Of Fortune II (i think). Played it for about 10 minutes and thought "feck this online gaming ****e"

A few years later I pick up COD:MW, No FPS has come close to MW since

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Q3 and Counter Strike back in 99/00 would have been the start of it all. Can't believe it was so long ago:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Shout Dust

Age of Empires on dialup, probably around 9-10. I was peacefully building my village, carefully placing farms and the like when I was suddenly set upon by what felt like hundreds of Horse Archers, I was literally wiped out in seconds, my handful of barracks units providing no match. Only later found out about the exploit that allowed you to go over the population limit, but the most valuable lesson was that the internet was no place for a peaceful young empire builder!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Got my first pc in 2001, having always played consoles til then. Little did I know I wouldnt get broadband til 2009!

Most games I played during those 8 years which had an online element, I would have tried out, purely to see what would happen on 33k! The result was always less than great. But I remember being able to play Tiger Woods 2004 quite well on dialup. Remember getting a demo disk on an MMO, set in Ancient Egypt, which allowed me to setup a character, load up the tutorial level and get shown around by another player who I was able to text chat with. That blew me away in 2002!

Im going to say my first proper experience of playing "online" was in the college labs. I had a copy of Quake 2 on a cd which I gave to a couple of other lads, and we had a great laugh deathmatching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

Total Annihilation using dialup to connect directly to a friends PC so it would only cost one of us :)

After that it was a few times in a net cafe until I finally got broadband in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Link up play stations playing doom and command and conquer is my first multiplier experience involving more than 1 console

First online would be with star trek bridge commander back in 1999 or something great great game id kill for a new one best would be Eve online and battlefield 1942/vietnam with a good group tons of fun to be had

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Doom on a LAN in Carlow RTC in 1994 and Red Alert in 1998/9 though I soon discovered that while I was the ultimate master in single-player mode, my base was always surrounded by tanks when I played online for the first time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

-Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings online with crazy mods.
    -Half-Life: Opposing Force in a Spanish internet cafe.
    -Delta Force with tons of players in a huge map lobbing grenade launchers.

Praying that it would connect to this noise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight on a 56K modem. Oh, those were the days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The original Call of Duty I think, 2003/4. Certainly the first online game I spent a long time playing. Went from 64k ISDN to 512k ADSL while playing it and had to get used to not overcompensating for lag :D Stopped playing it shortly after the United Offensive expansion pack (remember them?) came out as the player base seemed to split.

After dumping days of time playing it, I've not played another COD. I hear they're still popular...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Operation flashpoint online, getting knifed by some hacker who just spawned where you were and knifey knifey, you're dead.

Quake would be up there for sure. Rocket jumping was excellent fun. Then a few years later, playing Baldurs' Gate co-operatively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

-Starcraft 1
    -Soldier of Fortune
    -Delta Force(it was sooo bad ) :P

But I didn't really enjoy it due to Dial-Up

When broadband came along,....I think it was February-March 2003 if I'm right, is when I properly started.
    MOH:AA , Day of Defeat.....and then later that year....Call of Duty was released :D

Advertisement