Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your first memories of online gaming?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Whats a mud pdp-10 ....what :confused:

MUD has been explained. A PDP-10 is an old computer framework that was the size of a room and was one of the first affordable computers, as in affordable by colleges because it cost a few hundred grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ah yes, 56k gaming. Where you actually had to compensate for lag :D

Really was awful looking back, but man how I loved it at the time.

No kidding... playing CS online on dial-up... I had to trace ahead of people to hit them. -.-;

And I've been on dial-up til late 2007 [Was on Esat's NoLimits - 'unlimited' connection offpeak and weekends] ! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

BeerWolf wrote: »
    No kidding... playing CS online on dial-up... I had to trace ahead of people to hit them. -.-;

It still affects me today:pac: im better at lol when my ping is between 300-500 than i am when its between 15-50

Actually with regards to the 56K, I remember the first time we moved to ISDN, I was on the phone to someone as we were setting it up. I was so shocked that there was no sound coming from the box as it connected. Sometimes I do miss it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Halo with the alias "over ****" so when other players were killed it was X was killed by overwanking on the screen. Ow the luls that were had amongst friends.

After that got bored of fps online and got into mmos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

First online gaming experiences were back in 98/99 with alot of the Half-Life mods like Counter Strike (pre 1.0), Team Fortress and Action Half Life.

Then went on to trying Ultima Online for a good while, it was a fantastically great game in its prime but the later expansions ruined the overall experience. I remember trying it again about 2-3 years ago and the playerbase is either those selling stuff or RP/Guild players.

Another game was the first Age of Empires.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    All we need is some one to say they were playing a MUD like dnd on a PDP-10 back in the 70's to make us all seem young.

It would have been MUDs for me back in '93. After that it would have been DOOM over the college LAN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dante

My earliest memories go back to the good aul days of 56k playing Starcraft religiously on Battle net. Me and one of the lads on my road kept trying to get a game with each other but our connections were so bad we could never manage it, and since it was in the pre-mobile phone era we had to resort to ringing each other's house phones causing the dial-ups to crash in a vicious circle. The thought of that happening nowadays is almost comedic, ah those were the days!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Counter strike after half life 2 came out.

I remember it was my job to disarm the bomb(or plant it can't remember) anyway I didn't know what to do, so remember panicking while the rest of the team shouted at me through their head sets :(:D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

c + c tiberian sun and generals in late 2004,05.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Friend Computer

Quake back in 1996. Still have fond memories of bouncing grenades through the tubes in Wind Tunnels and hopping into a body of water in The Abandoned Base.
    The Bad Place was one of my favourites but I think I was on Claustrophobopolis for a bit on new year's eve.
    Don't forget bouncing around on Ziggurat Vertigo, launching grenades into the upper levels and generally having great fun avoiding people.

Nothing will ever recapture the magic of Quake, for me. It wasn't just the gameplay, it was beautifully designed too and the maps were all memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

MUD for me as well, Discworld.

Then Doom and Quake on College LAN. I think it was Windows 95/98.

Also remember playing a Tron like clone on a Novell Netware network.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

SeantheMan wrote: »
    -Delta Force(it was sooo bad ) :P

Ah it wasn't THAT bad. I liked it because it was all about getting the first shot away, once someone had a bead on you you were a gonner. Crawling around the hills waiting to be shot wouldn't be my cup of tea now, but in those days it had it's own intense fun to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

BeerWolf wrote: »
    My very first online game:

Diablo back in 1997

How I recall waiting bloody ages for it to patch over dial-up. :p

I was there for that, but I can't remember if I played something else before it. We had really dodgy dial-up where I grew up so any kind of online game was a story of pain due to lag and disconnects so I tended to not indulge in it too much.

I didn't have a PC with me in college for a good number of years but I used to sneak in a good few games of Astronest in one of the labs in college. I got caught once, the admin just mocked my fleet configuration and walked off. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

ToughOne wrote: »
    Me and 5 others nailing some drugged up milf.

Edit:read title as first gang bang memories

You should be nicer to your mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Kelso-Says-Burn-That-70s-Show.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

My first online experience was on Cod2 on the PC in 2009. The map was Wallender I think I was using an stg44 and my first victims name was Sexy Beast ha.

Toughone was owned haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

SeantheMan wrote: »
    -Soldier of Fortune
    -Delta Force(it was sooo bad ) :P

Delta Force, crawling around the map for what seemed like forever only to be killed by someone a mile away....ugh.

Someone mentioned Soldier of Fortune 2 - now THAT was a game, spent countless hours playing that in MP. The map Kam2 was genius - spent hundreds of hours on that one. Went back to SOF2 gold recently, still active. Genuinely LOVED that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

i remember playing diablo online and not liking it. First game i enjoyed playing online was Mechwarrior3, i was in a clan called Jolly Roger's Pirate Band, we used to use Roger Wilco for voice comms, before ventrillo and teamspeak were common. Awesome game.

Also played novalogic's 'Black hawk down' for years with a UK clan, another brilliant fps. And all on a 56k dial up hunk of junk. Actually diablo might have been on a slower modem too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

w3RZmAQ.jpg

This was my first experience online around mid 2000, and you know what? It's STILL the best online game imo. Online gaming was popular enough but not on PS2, and certainly not on this game. It's the first RE game to go online and uses all the old camera angles and gameplay that the RE was once known for. It had a real sense of survival and cooperation to it and me and my sister absolutely loved it. We got 2 playstation 2s and 2 copies of the game just so we could coop with our new international friends (of whom we have very strong bonds with today).

It was kinda hard to get a copy of it though, I couldn't even find a copy of the sequel, File #2. I did eventually ask someone at Smiths toy store did they have a copy and they did! ... but only the disc. They gave me a 5 pound discount on it because I didn't get the case. I eventually found a second copy (although I really can't remember where) so I could once again coop with my sister (or just play at the same time). Like Monster Hunter, CAPCOM was actually cool at the time and provided special events that would last a week or weekend that gave special bonuses if you played a certain level or way. There was this odd transfer utility in both games that allowed you to use costumes (remember when you could actually UNLOCK them without needing your credit card?) from one game to another and transfer all the collectables like gallery images and concept art.

Anyway, we played the the crap out of that game until CAPCOM took the servers down at around about the same time they did Monster Hunter, and from there they've become one of the sh1tiest companies around. All these crappy "HD" remixes (lol at the Silent Hill one) and I still don't hear anything about making an Outbreak HD. Knowing CAPCOM they'd probably leave out the online or screw it up in some other way... but I can still hope that maybe someday I'll get to play that game with my buddies just like we used to.

Here's some ancient gameplay of one of my friends uploaded of him playing online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Getting Chu Chu Rocket in the post from Sega :)

Didn't take long before I was sucking online at Quake 3 Arena and using up all of our Dial-up off-peak and weekend Internet package with Eircom on Phantasy Star Online. Also have good memories playing F355 Challenge and Monaco GP as well as downloading new tags for Jet Set Radio or using JPG images of a hot girl for those extra large in-game tags!

Ignored online gaming after the Dreamcast until we got broadband around 2009. first game was against a friend on Street Fighter 4 on the 360. A piece of me would love to try out the Dreamcast online again with Broadband, there are people out there still playing PSO on unofficial servers and against PC gamers on Quake 3 Arena with their Dreamcast. Starlancer is meant to be excellent too and still online but never played it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

aside from some horrible word games ono prehistoric yahoo, playing doom2 shareware version (pissed off the people I played with cos I never had the full version and they wanted to play other maps) and descent 2 on some strange irish gaming network. I forget the name I just remember winning a subscription in a paper, gamesnet or something maybe. you'd dial in and it had an irc like chat and you'd play whatever various games people had... dont actually remember how it worked at all, now that I think about it

descent 2 was awesome multiplayer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Sir_Badshot

DF1-game.JPG

Windows 98

Utterly blew me away.

Then Day of Defeat for 5 years....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Played Checkers and Chess on MSN Zone in a net cafe with my Dad beside me. Was a great system. Of course we were all more paranoid back in that day, so my answers to the immortal question (a/s/l) were all over the place - 43/m/europe :D

First experience at home was either Quake 2 or Midtown Madness - again using MSN Zone, which I thought was the best thing ever at the time!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Now that I'm done following that troublemaker around the website I can kick back, relax and actually contribute.

It's a well known and well remembered memory that my first foray into online gaming came from CS 1.6 donkeys years ago - It's what I first started playing competitively (If you call Irish Clans kicking seven shades of snot out of eachother for fun 'competitive') and was also the way I discovered Boards.ie in the first place.

Back in those days I was rocking my 56k Modem and enjoying 250 ping to Irish Servers where others were on the cusp of ISDN connections (50 ping) so you can imagine how 'effective' I was at CS with my Benelli M3 Super 90 Shotgun and 200+ ping more than everyone else.

Still, I ran clan [VAR] for 5 long and enjoyable high-pinged years, met some seriously amazing people and have remained on Boards.ie ever since.

No regrets.

Not bad for a first experience.

Ah you reminded me when I was only about 13 or 14 used to go into town the odd morning to does not compute and another cafe for their off-peak hours. I remember playing with Dr.No I think he was in VAR. Used to love cs back then!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,884 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The all nighters in DNC were legendary. Had a blast at them all. I think the best one there was a 8 vs 8 in CS jeep. Vehicles just didn't work in that game but it was a blast driving around with 8 of us piled on to one jeep doing drive bys and the crappy vehicle physics providing much hilarity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I was a late bloomer with the first online socom game on the ps2 (no broadband in the house until around then) but my god what a n experience it was, and have some very fond memories of playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Earliest experiences would probably be trying to get Army Men II/Toys in Space to work on Gamespy Arcade's old client on a dial-up connection. Could never get Total Annihilation to work online either. Played a fair bit of Raven Shield back in the early 2000s too, computer could barely handle it at 1024x768 resolution!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Back in summer 1999 was working in the USA. My brother rings me up from Boston and tells me about a game called CS. All i could hear was shooting and stuff in the back round, he was telling me on how good it was. Think at the time it was Beta. Anyways played it and was hooked from day 1. Ahh the good old days!
    Used to go by the Name
    Charlie Haughey
    Charlie
    BadCharlie
    *GIGN*BadCharlie or *GIGN*Charlie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

Started with Snipes running on Novell Netware in 1985.

250px-Snipes_-_Text_mode_game_by_Novell_-_screen_grab_Apr05.gif

Moved onto F21 Retaliator ... a flight/combat sim for the PC, played over a serial cable in 1989.

hqdefault.jpg

Then in the 90's ... Doom II, followed by Quake LANs and then Descent ... and then allsorts.

It's been downhill ever since.

*feels old*

Advertisement