Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your first memories of online gaming?

Options
  • 09-10-2013 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭

What year? What platform? What game? How did you first hear about the concept? What were your initial impressions of the gameplay? Did the idea strike you as something that would be big or just another feature that you took for granted?

For me it would have been Command & Conquer 1 on the PC, the year was '98 or maybe even '99. It was just an option that I came across in the game setup screen and it seemed like a logical progression with Internet connectivity. I don't recall being particularly amazed, just thought it was a nice feature.

I was a relative late comer to the scene, though, and the technologies had been there for years in games like Doom and Quake, services like XBand and Sega Channel, which didn't make it over here, and even BBS games like the MUDs. It would be interesting to hear first hand accounts of these or others. No prizes given for the earliest recollection. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Been a gamer since the 80's but wasn't till 2000 that I got a dreamcast and discovered Phantasy Star online. Played it to death. There was no chit talking back then over mics, but you could use a keyboard to chat while playing. My poor old DC eventually burnt out and I moved onto the Xbox. But in it's day the DC was a great little machine. And PSO ran smooth, even on 56k dial up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Like you it was C&C for me too, hadnt a clue what I was at but it was fun at the time. Then is was onto Quake and Half-Life followed by a series of mods for Half-Life, Team Fortress, Firearms, Day of Defeat and then about 5 years of Counter-Strike 1.3!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,913 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"hey can you dupe that armor for me?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

C and C and Quake. At first at LAN parties and then online. Still play both offline to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Overheal wrote: »

My very first online game:

Diablo back in 1997

How I recall waiting bloody ages for it to patch over dial-up. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,569 ✭✭✭✭briany

Been a gamer since the 80's but wasn't till 2000 that I got a dreamcast and discovered Phantasy Star online. Played it to death. There was no chit talking back then over mics, but you could use a keyboard to chat while playing. My poor old DC eventually burnt out and I moved onto the Xbox. But in it's day the DC was a great little machine. And PSO ran smooth, even on 56k dial up

I remember talking about the Dreamcast with friends and the fact that it could 'go on the internet', having little idea what the really entailed. This would have been back when rumours of the console first started to circulate. To this day I've never seen a Dreamcast in person, though. Actually, maybe we were talking about the Saturn. Memory gets hazy at a certain point. Never saw that one up close either. They turned out to be 90s pipe dreams like a 4th series of Bottom or NTL coming to my road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

C&C too played everyone up to generals online as it wasnt very good with a Dial up connections :(

Probably for the best too put way too much time into C&C probably more time than some of the games consoles i own :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

briany wrote: »
    I remember talking about the Dreamcast with friends and the fact that it could 'go on the internet', having little idea what the really entailed. This would have been back when rumours of the console first started to circulate. To this day I've never seen a Dreamcast in person, though. Actually, maybe we were talking about the Saturn. Memory gets hazy at a certain point. Never saw that one up close either. They turned out to be 90s pipe dreams like a 4th series of Bottom or NTL coming to my road.

You missed out - the Dreamcast was pretty advance for it's time.

House of the Dead 2 [sold with a light gun], Code Veronica, Ecco, etc. - awesome :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I used to play LANs more. A friend of mine used to have two PCs hooked up by serial for Quake 2. Then we got 3 then 4 machines in the house hooked up over a LAN. Used to play Half-Life, Starcraft and Counterstrike for hours. I only ventured online with Starcraft. I used to play some dial up Shadow Warrior and Duke 3D with a mate in school as well. I was obsessed with CS and multiplayer for a while but grew out of it after 2 years. I much preferred playing over the LAN with friends rather than with randomers. Now I hardly ever really play online unless it's with mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Overheal wrote: »

Never played Diablo, but was addicted to Diablo II.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

Sin

The lag was a problem but it really was great fun when it got going. Once of my favourite maps was the library or study and all the characters where shrunk to the size of mice.

...trying to get up to the top shelf to get the OP sniper rifle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Call of duty 4 for the playstation 3 and the year was 2007

My first memories were awful since i was with eircom and my connection would cut off when the phone rang and I remember the first 2 weeks I had the game it would not work :L

But all that aside what I remember was some amazing gaming moments with friends , so much joy and laughter :P

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

Doom

in college computer lab, 4 player deathmatch, blew me away

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Quake and Unreal way back on pc, Quake III (I think, or was it Arena?) on the Dreamcast

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Dipped my toe in the water a few times on C&C: Red Alert on PC only to find I wasn't quick enough building stuff to survive. Only when the Dreamcast came out did I give it a proper go with Quake 3. Got fairly good at that. I don't remember playing any other game online until the PS3 came out! Never bother with it now, too time consuming to get to a decent level where you can compete.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Probably Action Quake 2, I loved that game so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Wow, talk about being late to the party. I started off in 2008 on Xbox Live with the reboot of Turok (which is muck). I pretty much observed space marines running round in circles trying to stab each other because their characters moved slower with guns. They all sounded about twelve, and I could hear them screaming at each other through my tv. I'd be lying if I said my first experience was an enjoyable one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Unreal Tournament on dial up around 2000. Then Phantasy Star online on the Dreamcast after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Doom, in computer lab in secondary whet my appetite but really, Unreal Tournament was my first real experience.
    Oh god, facing_worlds, best map ever. Rushing up the central bridge hoping your snipers were keeping theirs suppressed long enough to get more than halfway across before getting killed! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

Age of empires, loved that game, dial up connection and all, nobody could use the phone while playing, they were the best of times and the worst of times:) I remember it was the year that song by what's her name came out, I am like a bird song, 2000 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

18662.gif

This.

I was 14, bought the game as it came with a headset that you could use offline in the single player and I thought that was a bit nifty. Wasn't until after a few weeks of having the game I got curious about online play, and convinced my da to let me subscribe to xbox live on his credit card.

My first match I was lobbed in with a bunch of Spaniards and I thought the whole idea of what was happening was just amazing haha, playing games with people around the world it just seemed a bit mad. Had some guy following me around the map just saying my gamertag over and over in various silly voices while I asked him in spanish for a ham and cheese sandwich. I was in stitches. We still play together the odd time for old time's sake :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Player 2

TomCo wrote: »
    Probably Action Quake 2, I loved that game so much.

I think the first online game I really sunk any time into was Action Half-Life in around 1999 or so. I thought that it was the best thing since sliced bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Call of duty 4 for the playstation 3 and the year was 2007
    God i feel old....AND I'M YOUNG! :eek:

I started in 1998 or 1999. Was 10 years old.

Used to play AOE2, C&C:Tiberian Sun and an old gem called Infantry Online.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

This was the same for me, I remember having stupidly expensive phone bills because of this :P. Then I moved over to quake 3 arena before moving to pc then xbox :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All we need is some one to say they were playing a MUD like dnd on a PDP-10 back in the 70's to make us all seem young.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

quake 2 i think for me but quake 3 / Counter-Strike was when i started to play properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

One of the Half Life 1 mods, Action Half Life I think it was called. a 30MB file that took 6 hours or something to come down over dial up :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Kingpin: Life of Crime in 1999. I was 12 I think. First got into the server after my brothers friend set up in internet.

I was like "So they are real people I'm fighting against?!". This was with dial up. And so started nearlya decade of playing that game (and a few others) before I finally unplugged. Don't play much computer at all any more except when in friends house a bitta pro ev.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    All we need is some one to say they were playing a MUD like dnd on a PDP-10 back in the 70's to make us all seem young.
    I still play MUDs :P Discovered them in college when they were the only thing worth playing on the pitiful bandwidth we could get http tunneling out of the campus network :D All of this after playing UT as a kid on dialup though, so they don't really count.

Advertisement